2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Obama 2.0, No more Mr. Nice Guy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 5:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buckle up GOP.

...It is clear that he is consciously changing his leadership style heading into the next four years. Weeks before the November elections, his top advisers were signaling that he intended to be a different kind of president in his second term.

"Just watch," they said to me, in effect, "he will win re-election decisively and then he will throw down the gauntlet to the Republicans, insisting they raise taxes on the wealthy. Right on the edge of the fiscal cliff, he thinks Republicans will cave."

What's your Plan B, I asked. "We don't need a Plan B," they answered. "After the president hangs tough -- no more Mr. Nice Guy -- the other side will buckle." Sure enough, Republicans caved on taxes. Encouraged, Obama has since made clear he won't compromise with Republicans on the debt ceiling, either.

Obama 2.0 stepped up this past week on yet another issue: gun control. No president in two decades has been as forceful or sweeping in challenging the nation's gun culture. Once again, he portrayed the right as the enemy of progress and showed no interest in negotiating a package up front.

In his coming State of the Union address, and perhaps in his inaugural, the president will begin a hard push for a comprehensive reform of our tattered immigration system. Leading GOP leaders on the issue -- Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, for example -- would prefer a piecemeal approach that is bipartisan. Obama wants to go for broke in a single package, and on a central issue -- providing a clear path to citizenship for undocumented residents -- he is uncompromising...
http://www.cnn.com/2013....t=hp_c1
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TPA's gonna get interesting, that's for sure.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't vote for him, but I did see him as a lesser evil than Romney.  Good that he won over Romney... he got the majority of the votes, but I didn't think that was a "decisive" victory -- like a clear mandate kind of a thing.

We know about Republican obstructionism (i.e. how do we ruin Obama even if we end up screwing the whole nation... just so we can win next time) -- but I also hope Obama and his team won't overreach either.

What I want to see is a continuation of our economic improvement... higher tax for the super rich... but also meaningful and substantial budget cuts too.  To that extent we spend, I'd like to see more investments and less social payments.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's not a lesser evil. He's not evil at all. It's nonsense to describe him as such.

He won by a larger margin that any president since Reagan. That's pretty damn decisive.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 18 2013, 4:18 pm)
He's not a lesser evil. He's not evil at all. It's nonsense to describe him as such.

He won by a larger margin that any president since Reagan. That's pretty damn decisive.

Buried in his win are a lot of people scared off by the GOP platform.   Doesn't necessarily translate into a mandate for Obama.  I didn't sense a whole lot of enthusiasm...

I liked Reagan a lot... but his first election... he got a lot of disgruntled "tired of Carter" Democratic votes as well.

Anyway, my two cents.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 18 2013, 7:20 pm)

Buried in his win are a lot of people scared off by the GOP platform.   Doesn't necessarily translate into a mandate for Obama.  I didn't sense a whole lot of enthusiasm...

I liked Reagan a lot... but his first election... he got a lot of disgruntled "tired of Carter" Democratic votes as well.

Anyway, my two cents.

That's the case with every election win. You're telling me Dunham didn't claim a mandate in 2000 and 2004.

His mandate is as valid as any presidents' ever is, more than most.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But back to the OP. he spent the first four years  trying to be bi partisan and trying to win of the GOP by including a hell of a lot of conservative ideas in proposed legislation and debating in good faith, and he was burned by a GOP who decided they were going to say no to whatever he suggested in a bid to deny him any chance of success.

Would we really like a president that hadn't learned from that experience?
 Post Number: 8
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was nice?

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like bab here. Does anyone think it would be possible to trust bab in any way shape or form? Anyone think he has it in him to be honest in his political dealings with those evil liberals?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 18 2013, 6:03 pm)
Like bab here. Does anyone think it would be possible to trust bab in any way shape or form? Anyone think he has it in him to be honest in his political dealings with those evil liberals?

Well, he is predictable -- so yeah, I trust him, in the sense that I don't feel I need to second guess him.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 18 2013, 5:41 pm)

Anyway, my two cents.

That's the case with every election win. You're telling me Dunham didn't claim a mandate in 2000 and 2004.

I actually cannot tell what W ran for back in 2000.  A kinder, gentler nation?

But in 2004 -- for better and for worse -- there was the focus on the so-called "war on terror" -- and his winning was a mandate to continue on.  I blame ourselves collectively for that one!

--------------
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hell Romney wasn't "evil" either. A rather unpersuasive candidate as it turns out but not in any way "evil".

Iirc worshipping false idols, like The Presidency, is a major sin is it not? Pillarofsalt-wise....

Oh and to extend his reelection, we all knew this time around what we were voting for so he also won a big referendum on his presidential agenda versus the less clear agenda of Romney beyond the full and complete repeal of ObamaCare.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 18 2013, 6:23 pm)

He'll Romney wasn't "evil" either. A rather inept candidate as it turns out but not in any way "evil".

Iirc worshipping false idols, like The Presidency, is a major sin is it not? Pillarofsalt-wise....

And of course, I used "lesser of two evils" as a figure of speech to denote a 'less bad choice' -- and not actually accusing either as the devil incarnate.  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 18 2013, 9:03 pm)

Like most minions, he can only see the narrative he's been given, so he parrots it.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 18 2013, 9:23 pm)

Hell Romney wasn't "evil" either. A rather unpersuasive candidate as it turns out but not in any way "evil".

Oh and to extend his reelection, we all knew this time around what we were voting for so he also won a big referendum on his presidential agenda versus the less clear agenda of Romney beyond the full and complete repeal of ObamaCare.

His disgust for 47% of the population certainly offers some evidence he might be evil.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 18 2013, 9:20 pm)

(Land Rover @ Jan. 18 2013, 5:41 pm)

Anyway, my two cents.

I actually cannot tell what W ran for back in 2000.  A kinder, gentler nation?

But in 2004 -- for better and for worse -- there was the focus on the so-called "war on terror" -- and his winning was a mandate to continue on.  I blame ourselves collectively for that one!

Compassionate conservative.
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't any Republicans ever calling Obama "nice

elitist, yes, arrogant, yes, nice? no.
 Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 19 2013, 8:03 am)
I don't any Republicans ever calling Obama "nice

elitist, yes, arrogant, yes, nice? no.

What Republicans have called this president bears no resemblance to this president.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 18 2013, 6:34 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 18 2013, 9:23 pm)

His disgust for 47% of the population certainly offers some evidence he might be evil.

"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations"

And a candidate who has a disgust for residents of small towns and positions religion as a bad thing would be what then?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Someone with common sense. But I think you know he wasn't saying anything remotely bad about religion. He was acknowledging that's what people who those situations turn to.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 19 2013, 6:49 am)
Someone with common sense. But I think you know he wasn't saying anything remotely bad about religion. He was acknowledging that's what people who those situations turn to.

And Romney was elucidating an election strategy.

And they both were speaking to the party true believers in their own vernacular.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what … who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. … These are people who pay no income tax. … and so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”"

Dueling stereotypes.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If Romney's disdain for half the population doesn't bother you, that's cool.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 19 2013, 6:57 am)

As he's the President Obama's "disdain", as interpreted from the clip, for people of faith and those that live in anything but big cities give you pause?

My point being they both were gotcha'd more than anything else.

Hey your comfort zone being an overly simplistic view of the world you can thus more easily comprehend is equally cool with me.

Myself, I'm more an Ansel Adams fan.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 19 2013, 10:03 am)

(HighGravity @ Jan. 19 2013, 6:57 am)

As he's the President Obama's "disdain" for people of faith and those that live in anything but big cities give you pause?

That's a pretty strange interpretation of what he was saying.
23 replies since Jan. 18 2013, 5:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Obama 2.0
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions