2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Understanding America’s Violent Far-Right, From West Point< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 6:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like an interesting read.

Introduction

In the last few years, and especially since 2007, there has been a dramatic rise in the number of attacks and violent plots originating from individuals and groups who self-identify with the far-right of American politics. These incidents cause many to wonder whether these are isolated attacks, an increasing trend, part of increasing societal violence, or attributable to some other condition. To date, however, there has been limited systematic documentation and analysis of incidents of American domestic violence.

This study provides a conceptual foundation for understanding different far-right groups and then presents the empirical analysis of violent incidents to identify those perpetrating attacks and their associated trends. Through a comprehensive look at the data, this study addresses three core questions:

(1) What are the main current characteristics of the violence produced by the far right?

(2) What type of far-right groups are more prone than others to engage in violence? How are characteristics of particular far-right groups correlated with their tendency to engage in violence?

(3) What are the social and political factors associated with the level of far-right violence? Are there political or social conditions that foster or discourage violence?

...There are three major ideological movements within the American violent far right: a racist/white supremacy movement, an anti-federalist movement and a fundamentalist movement.

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/wp-cont....nes.pdf
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I realize it's only a minority... but sometimes I wonder how much a role our education system plays -- both in terms of discouraging extremism and perhaps fostering it (indirectly) -- two different issues.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is what's called a really stupid waste of taxpayer money.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Jan. 18 2013, 4:38 pm)

why?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Jan. 18 2013, 7:38 pm)

Fighting terrorism is a waste of taxpayer money?
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 18 2013, 5:32 pm)
I realize it's only a minority... but sometimes I wonder how much a role our education system plays -- both in terms of discouraging extremism and perhaps fostering it (indirectly) -- two different issues.

What particular aspect of our education system would you be referring to?

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 18 2013, 5:08 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jan. 18 2013, 5:32 pm)

What particular aspect of our education system would you be referring to?

That's my question, actually.  I didn't go to school here until college -- which was well past the formative stage.

Racism.  Fundamentalism.  Patriotism.

After so many generations post Civil War, why is race still such an issue in our society -- always lurking just underneath our social fabric?  Maybe it's education.  Or our culture (which begs the question why) -- or is it just the nature of living in a multi-ethnic society such as ours?

As for 'fundamentalism' -- I can't think of anywhere else in the world -- not even in the generally more conservative 'Islamic World' -- where it is ever an issue to teach evolution in a science course!  Now, I am talking about a select minority of schools where parents insist that creationism be taught instead -- but even so, why is this stubborn element continuing?

Patriotism can be a very good thing.  But as the saying goes, sometimes there can be "too much of a good thing".  I've been to over 60 countries thus far, and to me, our good ol' USA definitely ranks at the forefront in overt display of patriotism.  Indeed, I would say the two most patriotic people I've encountered thus far are we Americans -- and the Chinese!  And in both cases, I think it's too much of a good thing... too much puffing up of ourselves -- at the (mostly unintentional) degradation of all others.  You know, we don't put down others, but we do believe we are exceptional and we are proud to show it... that sort of thing.

Lastly, there seems to be this near intolerance for ambiguity.  We want solutions and we want them now.   We are products of our culture/education -- and it is only the US -- under the leadership of W -- that actually believe we can "solve" and change entire societies (like Iraq) in three years -- completely ignoring just how long and arduous our own changes have taken -- going all the way back perhaps to the Magna Carta.

Looking at the right wing extremists (again, a minority) -- it's all the above.  But they are not content to live out their extremism in their own households -- they want to "solve it" for the entire nation.

Who knows?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben you really can't start the clock at the civil war but rather at the enactment of the civil rights act by Johnson in the mid 1960s. And that wasn't all that long ago in a cultural memory context.

As to Islamic fundamentalism? I'd bet there are plenty of headless and handless people in Mali who'd trade a bit of biological inaccuracy for what they are presently suffering under Shariah law.
http://www.ibtimes.com/executi....-796185
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 18 2013, 6:34 pm)
Ben you really can't start the clock at the civil war but rather at the enactment of the civil rights act by Johnson in the mid 1960s. And that wasn't all that long ago in a cultural memory context.

As to Islamic fundamentalism? I'd bet there are plenty of headless and handless people in Mali who'd trade a bit of biological inaccuracy for what they are presently suffering under Shariah law.
http://www.ibtimes.com/executi....-796185

Perhaps.  But I see the "progress" as a long continuum.  Long before the civil war, many -- in good conscience -- viewed Negroes as somewhere between apes and humans.  We are products of our societies, so we, the beneficiary of the experiences of generations past, should not then turnaround to judge the past.   But it begs the question why after our 'baptism by fire' -- it took another 100 years of long, hard struggles to arrive at the point where Civil Rights could be enacted successfully?  And now, after another 50 years, we are still very much a work in progress -- though headed in the right direction.

As for fundamentalism, my focus is on our own.  Islamic fundamentalism?  That's going to be a whole another thread...

--------------
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yet you used it for comparison.
"As for 'fundamentalism' -- I can't think of anywhere else in the world -- not even in the generally more conservative 'Islamic World"

so the context seemed apt.

But re the civil war. When have any wars changed actual beliefs. Exterminate those who hold them as the losers perhaps, but change the minds of the survivors? Not really.  At least not since the days of superstition where losing was a sign their gods had abandoned them and so adapting the conquerors beliefs was filling a true void. Which certainly wasn't the case for the civil war and it should be noted there remained an enormous amount of racial bigotry in the North, who had "won" that war.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 18 2013, 6:58 pm)
Yet you used it for comparison.
"As for 'fundamentalism' -- I can't think of anywhere else in the world -- not even in the generally more conservative 'Islamic World"

so the context seemed apt.

Well, I can tell you this:  pick any attribute from any society -- and it's usually "for better and for worse".

If you want to pick the worst of another society to justify our own, that's a non starter in my book.  We can be heads and shoulders above [put your favorite country or culture to bash here] -- and yet, if we still have a continued tendency of fermenting our brands of extremism, then we still have issues to face.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the most important components of  far right lunacy if not the most is religion.The right wingers here have their 'peaceful' icons and fairy tales of jesus and virgin mary  lunacy to reinforce or validate their stupidity.Same for muslim and jewish right wingers.
As if having lower education southern states wasnt bad enough fill that void with idiotic stories about immaculate conception and you have created an epic monster.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
11 replies since Jan. 18 2013, 6:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Understanding America’s Violent Far-Right
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions