2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 4 More Years, Have officially started.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)

Yay.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if Frank Lunz organized another meeting of Republicans on how best to oppose Obama on his inauguration day?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd hope they'd focus their strategizing on preventing President Obama's re-election.

An achievable goal would make them far less grumpy.
 Post Number: 4
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well he seems to be starting it in the right way in my book.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 2:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't had a day off since 1-1-13 as we get ready.  I worked 0400-2000 yesterday and just went backon the clock at 0145, hope to be done by 1700.  Thank goodness Inaugurations are only every 4 years.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 7:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think of the overtime Jim!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 8:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The OT will help pay for a vacation to recover from all the OT. :D

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 8
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 6:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dam......

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 9
Nickrp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yay.... Im looking so forward to more taxes to pay this year while simultaneously living with the threat of losing my job in the defense industry.... but its ok those of you who still have jobs once Obama is done further increasing unemployment can support me....
 Post Number: 10
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 22 2013, 5:47 am)
Dam......

November 2014 approaches ...

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the Inauguration behind us, I will finally get some down time again.  Perhaps I can even salvage a weekend in February for a hike!

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:05 am)
yay.... Im looking so forward to more taxes to pay this year while simultaneously living with the threat of losing my job in the defense industry.... but its ok those of you who still have jobs once Obama is done further increasing unemployment can support me....

You realize that those taxes are what pays your wages right?
 Post Number: 13
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:29 am)
With the Inauguration behind us, I will finally get some down time again.  Perhaps I can even salvage a weekend in February for a hike!

Lemme know when you're available!

And we still need to head to Cressap for some more shooting.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:41 am)

Ha, yes i realize taxes pay my wages, but it was my medical taxes that went up....  I would gladly allocate all my taxes to defense if i had the choice rather than socialized medical, but i dont get that option. :(  And a lot of good it does "paying my own wage" when obama just cuts those jobs so he can fund more social programs....
 Post Number: 15
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 8:05 am)

Ha, yes i realize taxes pay my wages, but it was my medical taxes that went up....  I would gladly allocate all my taxes to defense if i had the choice rather than socialized medical, but i dont get that option. :(  And a lot of good it does "paying my own wage" when obama just cuts those jobs so he can fund more social programs....

Don't feel lonely.  I'd dedicate my taxes to the forest service and NPS so no one would need to pay an entrance fee myself, so you are not alone.  Still I wouldn't worry about more social programs.  It's going to come down to which generation will be told their Medicare is being replaced with Vouchercare to pay for the F-35's cupholders, all while paying the previous generations Medicare.    

As for other cuts? Remember we are talking about a Congress who couldn't even cut excessive exburbia airports which any sane individual of either party would cut.  Give me a break and any case isn't where the problem lies..

Any other math is irrelevant when looking at medical spending in the intermediate future unless we start using these sidewalks and bike trails, lay off the Fritos en masse.  The way I look at it, the Congress is being sly trying to get Obama to take some of the heat and Obama is having none of it (so far).

The inauguration was a beautiful event, with brilliant performances.  Fortunately we get to see Beyonce again in about 2 weeks for the Superbowl.

That Obama guy was Ok too.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:53 am)

(JimInMD @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:29 am)

Lemme know when you're available!

And we still need to head to Cressap for some more shooting.

Indeed we do.  Ruebenstump wants to hit the trail too so after I get some time with the Missus, I'll figure out the trail time.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Jan. 22 2013, 10:24 am)
The inauguration was a beautiful event, with brilliant performances.  Fortunately we get to see Beyonce again in about 2 weeks for the Superbowl.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, but I think you're in the minority perhaps.  I was making small talk with the crowds and almost to a person they were underwhelmed as opposed to 4 years ago.  Crowd size was much smaller (although still massive) and much friendlier.  The weather wasn't as cold either which helped keep the medical calls to "insane" as opposed to "Dear God".

As for Beyonce, she was five hours late for her rehearsal on Sunday.  She's a little lacking on new fans right now amongst people who were already working late on Sunday and starting early on Monday.  :;):

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:24 am)

Don't feel lonely.  I'd dedicate my taxes to the forest service and NPS so no one would need to pay an entrance fee myself, so you are not alone.  Still I wouldn't worry about more social programs.  It's going to come down to which generation will be told their Medicare is being replaced with Vouchercare to pay for the F-35's cupholders, all while paying the previous generations Medicare.    

As for other cuts? Remember we are talking about a Congress who couldn't even cut excessive exburbia airports which any sane individual of either party would cut.  Give me a break and any case isn't where the problem lies..

Any other math is irrelevant when looking at medical spending in the intermediate future unless we start using these sidewalks and bike trails, lay off the Fritos en masse.  The way I look at it, the Congress is being sly trying to get Obama to take some of the heat and Obama is having none of it (so far).

Heck they can just rerun her tape again. (She lip-synced her "performance")

So that's a lock with or without her actual presence.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As harsh as this sounds, I would rather pay for "cupholders" on the F-35 then for social programs anyday.  

Our country have let our social programs become an enabeler rather than a safety net.  Its sad, but thats the attitude i see now a days.  Just talking to my little sister's friends about college and such.  "oh, I will get gov. aid they will pay for my school" or my wifes co-worker whos bf just doesnt carry insurance and shows up to the ER cause "eh the hospital and gov pays for it"..... yeah not cool but thats the attitude i see more and more.  More looking for the hand out rather than taking responsibility.  When i went to college, I held 2 jobs and went to school full time so i could afford school.  When i fell off my parents insurance, I cut back on fun and paid for my own.  yeah it wasnt fun, but I did it, I didnt just expect the handout....

Cupholders keep us safe, regaurdless of what the general libral population believes, most of the world hates us and would strike given a chance.  would rather have my shiny F-35, predito, B-2's and others and not need them than need them and not have them.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NOT-stealth Cupholders just keep the Congress member re-elected. Less "safe" than whatever is NOT being purchased or practiced since the money got diverted to a deadend tech to keep a factory open in a home district.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those damn 47% moochers.
 Post Number: 22
dnlskier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best thing Obama can do, and probably get 99+% public support....  still got those crazy wackos that will say NO to anything he does.

Term Limits for congress and house!  Of course he really does not have any legal power to do so, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
 Post Number: 23
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nickrp said

yay.... Im looking so forward to more taxes to pay this year while simultaneously living
with the threat of losing my job in the defense industry.... but its ok those of you who
still have jobs once Obama is done further increasing unemployment can support me....

true or false

The overall tax burden for Americans under Obama has been the lowest since 1958?

Nickrp said

but its ok those of you who still have jobs once Obama is done further increasing
unemployment can support me....

explain how Obama is "further increasing unemployment" when the unemploymment rate has been
steadly decreasing?

Explain how you can blame(or credit) just the president when it comes to the unemployment
rate? What you don't believe in the so called "free market" or that we have a congress?

Nickrp said

Ha, yes i realize taxes pay my wages, but it was my medical taxes that went up....  I would
gladly allocate all my taxes to defense if i had the choice rather than socialized medical,
but i dont get that option

You don't think defense is bloated with Waste?

and what do you consider "socialized medical"? ObamaRomneyHeritageFoundationCare? Then
you don't know what you're talking about. Oh and I bet I confused you by calling it
ObamaRomneyHeritageFoundationCare. Why do you think I called it that?

Nickrp said

And a lot of good it does "paying my own wage" when obama just cuts those jobs so he can
fund more social programs....

What the hell are you talking about when you say 'cuts those jobs'? There has been Private
sector job growth for well over 30 months now. Granted for a while there were many government
jobs(mostly at the state level so that wouldn't be Obama cutting them) that were being cut
but isn't that what an obvious right-winger would want?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 24
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So in four more years the Obama era will be OVER!!!!!!!
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 22 2013, 11:14 am)
So in four more years the Obama era will be OVER!!!!!!!

So McConnell can loosen up a tad?
 Post Number: 26
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yay.
Exactly.

I think my $1000 was spent well, though 100% of it went to funding Congressional races, which I thought were pretty important too. I figured, based on what I was seeing, that Obama would take care of himself.

(57% of Obama's $726.2 million in direct donations came from people making donations of less than $200; only 24% of Romney's total donations of  $467.3 million came from that group)

You can see the numbers for yourself here:
http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance

I am mightily pleased, in any event, that the other guy (the Neanderthal) didn't win.

Everyone should read the Inaugural Address delivered yesterday (if they didn't get a chance to hear it). This, my friends, is what this country really means. We all have a stake, and we all should be committed to taking care of each other (instead of stockpiling weapons to shoot each other).

Just IMHO.
 Post Number: 27
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 10:05 am)
Ha, yes i realize taxes pay my wages, but it was my medical taxes that went up....

just a quick tidbit of info....

it wasn't your medicare deduction that went up, it was your social security deduction.  And theoretically, it didn't go up, it just returned to the rate which matches the employer portion, which is where it was at a couple of years ago.  

If you care to google...."Payroll Tax Holiday".

If you got into either of the presidential candidates tax plans, you would see that both of them intending on letting this expire, as it was adding to the deficit.  House democrats pushed for an extension, but it was killed very early on in the fiscal cliff negotiations as a non-negotiable.
 Post Number: 28
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 12:01 pm)

yay.... Im looking so forward to more taxes ....

Ha, yes i realize taxes pay my wages, ...when obama just cuts those jobs so he can fund more social programs....

As for other cuts? Remember we are talking about a Congress who couldn't even cut excessive exburbia airports which any sane individual of either party would cut. ...

As harsh as this sounds, I would rather pay for "cupholders" on the F-35 then for social programs anyday.  

Our country have let our social programs become an enabeler rather than a safety net.  Its sad, but thats the attitude i see now a days.  Just talking to my little sister's friends about college and such.  "oh, I will get gov. aid they will pay for my school" or my wifes co-worker whos bf just doesnt carry insurance and shows up to the ER cause "eh the hospital and gov pays for it"..... yeah not cool but thats the attitude i see more and more.  ..

Cupholders keep us safe, regaurdless of what the general libral population believes, most of the world hates us and would strike given a chance.  would rather have my shiny F-35, predito, B-2's and others and not need them than need them and not have them.

I teach a night class at college for some additional cash and I can tell you regular financial aid is being reduced.  Of course there is cuts to all adjunct class loads but it's not my main income stream, so ...

In terms of emergency room care, the non-covered patient gets treated but the hospital will investigate to see if payment can be recouped.

I'll agree with you we need defense (though my cupholder remark was meant to be tongue-in-cheek).  We have been bombing and ordering around other countries for about 100 years now, so some may want some payback.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 29
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Jan. 22 2013, 12:26 pm)
Everyone should read the Inaugural Address delivered yesterday (if they didn't get a chance to hear it). This, my friends, is what this country really means. We all have a stake, and we all should be committed to taking care of each other (instead of stockpiling weapons to shoot each other).

Just IMHO.

+1

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 30
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Jan. 22 2013, 5:21 am)

(gunslinger @ Jan. 22 2013, 5:47 am)
Dam......

November 2014 approaches ...

:)

Post of the month.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
51 replies since Jan. 20 2013, 12:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 4 More Years
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions