2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MLK Day = Inauguration Day< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 2:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pointing out the obvious...

But it's pretty cool to have MLK day coincide with inauguration day!  While yeah, racism still lurks beneath the surface of our social fabric -- we've also come a very, very long way since those overtly racist days just a few decades ago!   :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By 2016 there will be kids 10 or 11 years old who will have no memory of a President who wasn't African-American--much less, of a time when that was considered impossible.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 21 2013, 2:56 pm)
 While yeah, racism still lurks beneath the surface of our social fabric -- we've also come a very, very long way since those overtly racist days just a few decades ago!   :cool:

I dont know about racism lurking.Its omni present on faux news and in the GOP its exercised vigorously.In fact I observe more racism than i ever have because it is touted by these sources more than ever before in media etc.

yes it is a nice coincidence:mlk-ignauguration.Better than gun appreciation day-mlk birthday last week.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Nickrp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love that everyone forgets Obama is half white......and as far as ignauguration day falling on MLK, I find that to be un-fortunate as it once again makes his race rather than his politics the highlight of the day.....As far as racism goes, I see more reverse racism (anti-white) than anything eles now a days, may be just where I live but thats mainly what i see....
 Post Number: 5
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:38 am)
I love that everyone forgets Obama is half white......and as far as ignauguration day falling on MLK, I find that to be un-fortunate as it once again makes his race rather than his politics the highlight of the day.....As far as racism goes, I see more reverse racism (anti-white) than anything eles now a days, may be just where I live but thats mainly what i see....

Nothing like a bit of thinly veiled racism to start the day.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 6
Nickrp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Jan. 22 2013, 10:50 am)

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:38 am)

Nothing like a bit of thinly veiled racism to start the day.

Hey there was no racism intended at all in that comment.  I just wanted to express how much I hate that Obama's race is even an issue.  I am admitedly not a supporter of him but it has nothing to do with the color of his skin rather his politics.  I just wish people would focus on his politics rather than his race.  His race has nothing to do with his ability to lead and should have nothing to do with his politics....  

And as far as reverse racism, where I live, I am the minority by far and I grew up getting beaten and even stabbed twice due to the color of my skin.  My little sister in law also went through the same thing (not the stabbing) just because we both were white (she happened to be half hispanic, but that didnt matter, she was beaten anyway).  So yeah I see a bit of reverse racism happening where I live, its a fact not any sort of racial slur.  I dont harbor any ill will towords hispanics for what happened to me when I was young just wanted to point out the fact that its not just the US minorities who have to deal with racism, but in some areas white Americans have it just as bad if not worse...
 Post Number: 7
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see some reverse evolution in this thread.
6 replies since Jan. 21 2013, 2:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MLK Day = Inauguration Day
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions