2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A Reasonable Democrat< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 3:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For decades, California's Democrat-controlled legislature -- as well as dubious governors both Democrat and Republicans -- have helped driven California down the road of continuous deterioration.

But Gov. Brown (D) seems like he has both head and heart.  I particularly like his statement:  "Fiscal discipline is not the enemy of our good intentions but the basis for realizing them".  That was part of his lecture to his Democrat-controlled legislature -- which actually enjoys a super majority!

Thus far anyway, I like the governor's plea for fiscal restraint -- while focusing on improving our schools and our infrastructure.  I do view the high speed rail project with suspicion though.

And finally, unlike the ideologically based (or is it idiotically based) GOP stance to keep bashing China (mostly because of its winning streak) -- Brown wants to leverage and work with China for the economic benefit of both.

I am not ready to canonize Brown quite yet, we will see, and in any case, one term as governor isn't going to turn around decades of mismanagement.   But maybe we in California are finally headed in the right direction, once again??

More here.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This Democrat Governor is doing a much better job at controlling spending and balancing the budget than his Republican predecessor ever did.
 Post Number: 3
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope they pull it off, too. I enjoyed my time in California, but I see the states problems as systemic, and not easily solved with one tax increase (which, based on anecdotal accounts, may have the opposite effect from it's intention.)
So good luck, CA! I'll be rooting for you, but the realist in me, well....

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's more than just a tax increase.
He has cut costs and implemented significant pension reform as well.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jan. 24 2013, 4:28 pm)
This Democrat Governor is doing a much better job at controlling spending and balancing the budget than his Republican predecessor ever did.

Arnold was a joke.  And I blame the Californian voting public (who else?).  Back then, there were two candidates who had much better track record of governing / managing:  Richard Riordan - the former mayor of LA who turned the city around in the aftermath of riots and earthquake;  and Peter Uberoth -- who managed the 1984 LA Olympics and turned in a profit -- unlike Montreal, etc.  But the public went for star power instead.  A pity.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jan. 24 2013, 7:47 pm)

Didn't Arnold want to do that as well?

Wasn't he prevented from doing it by the political divide?

Arnold may have called himself a Republican but he certainly isn't conservative.

Will the wealthy leave due to the higher tax rates?  I mean, the talking heads are buzzing about Mickelson...Tiger left in the 90's...and Nissan moved to Tennessee a few years ago over taxes....

Do you hear the sucking sound from people and business leaving yet?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 26 2013, 7:51 am)

(hbfa @ Jan. 24 2013, 7:47 pm)

Didn't Arnold want to do that as well?

Wasn't he prevented from doing it by the political divide?

Arnold may have called himself a Republican but he certainly isn't conservative.

Will the wealthy leave due to the higher tax rates?  I mean, the talking heads are buzzing about Mickelson...Tiger left in the 90's...and Nissan moved to Tennessee a few years ago over taxes....

Keep up with the California bashing amigo.
Meanwhile, we'll just keep paying your tab for you.

Call it welfare from our state to yours.
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a hiatus from the forum, I felt a tinge of shared viewpoints in this thread until the sucking sound of another narrow minded Gunslinger post.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, the liberal love fest......even when California tanks the liberals still think they're doing a good job.....i find that quite humorous...

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Poor Slinger, all that love for guns, god, and country unrequited. Maybe you should spend more time with people that are not members of the Klan.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 26 2013, 10:51 am)

That must be why the standard of living is so much higher in Appalachia than in Northern CA.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 26 2013, 1:46 pm)
Oh, the liberal love fest......even when California tanks the liberals still think they're doing a good job.....i find that quite humorous...

What's the median household income in Tennessee?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jan. 26 2013, 2:36 pm)
Poor Slinger, all that love for guns, god, and country unrequited. Maybe you should spend more time with people that are not members of the Klan.

Name calling?  Really?  You?  

Dang I'm good....second time today....

I love it when you liberals get so frustrated that insulting is the only thing you can come up with...

California is a wonderful state.  It's a shame the liberals have screwed it up so bad.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 26 2013, 1:32 pm)
California is a wonderful state.  It's a shame the liberals have screwed it up so bad.

I wouldn't expect you'd be willing to admit the truth about California,
but a simple "thank you" would certainly be the honorable thing to do.
 Post Number: 15
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

gunslinger

ohhhhhhhhhh goodie! My chance to pile on!

Texas is sucking a lot more wealthy people and profitable businesses from California than Tennessee. Not that Tennessee isn't trying - just that Texas is trying so much harder and is so much more blatant about their attempts to lure wealthy people and profitable businesses from California.

My experience in both Tennessee and Texas is that the Austin and Round Rock area, and Dallas area, are full of recent California businesses and wealthy retirees. The Nashville and Chattanooga areas have plenty of California refugees too - but nothing like around Austin and Dallas.

But Texas and Tennessee aren't the only states that are poaching California's wealthy and profitable companies. Florida, South Carolina, and Mississippi are circling like buzzards too. And Lousianna is even considering dumping their income tax in order to make themselves more attractive to California refugees.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jan. 26 2013, 2:48 pm)
gunslinger

ohhhhhhhhhh goodie! My chance to pile on!

Texas is sucking a lot more wealthy people and profitable businesses from California than Tennessee. Not that Tennessee isn't trying - just that Texas is trying so much harder and is so much more blatant about their attempts to lure wealthy people and profitable businesses from California.

My experience in both Tennessee and Texas is that the Austin and Round Rock area, and Dallas area, are full of recent California businesses and wealthy retirees. The Nashville and Chattanooga areas have plenty of California refugees too - but nothing like around Austin and Dallas.

But Texas and Tennessee aren't the only states that are poaching California's wealthy and profitable companies. Florida, South Carolina, and Mississippi are circling like buzzards too. And Lousianna is even considering dumping their income tax in order to make themselves more attractive to California refugees.

Hey, we're wiling to share!

But the exodus has been felt.  Now we're only the 9th largest economy in the WORLD!
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 26 2013, 4:32 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Jan. 26 2013, 2:36 pm)

Name calling?  Really?  You?  

Dang I'm good....second time today....

I love it when you liberals get so frustrated that insulting is the only thing you can come up with...

What name did he call you? Or are you just being dishonest again?
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's ok, Gunny has a limited tool kit for expressing himself. I've grown kind of fond of how he expresses such a narrow world view so tenaciously on a forum where almost nobody agrees with him. He is kind of a cross between ET and Rip VanWinkle. Now I've done some name calling, so Slinger can derive even more pleasure from his efforts here. Your welcome, buddy ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the gun-ster too.
He's just a wee bit misguided, that's all.  :-D
18 replies since Jan. 24 2013, 3:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A Reasonable Democrat
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions