2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Defense Department to allow women in combat roles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 4:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OSD announced the lifting of the ban on females in ground combat element positions within the military.  I've been following this in the Marine Corps Times and know all the the test cases @ Infantry Officers Course have either recycled or DOR'd.  My personal opinion is firmly against the lifting of the ban and there are probably a lot of platoon sergeants out there shaking their heads about now.  Curios to hear what you all think, especially all the other veterans.  Cheers!

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Long overdue, finally getting over the biases that make our armed forces less efficient, IMO.

The same criticisms and worries were voiced about black soldiers, oriental soldiers, homosexual soldiers, and now female soldiers.

A lot of women are better at verbal communication than some men, and combat needs the best communication, the clearest planning and the most well organized coordination of just about any difficult task undertaken by humans.

Many women are very good at remaining calm and efficient under stress, i.e. trauma docs and emergency services dispachers.  It is good that we will be finding and using skillful women in appropriate combat slots, IMO.

Need to work hard on sexual harrassment habits, though.  Still having problems with that at the military academys.  Will help to get some field grade women officers on the battlefield.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any adult who is fit for combat should be able to fight -- if he or she volunteers to.

My problem is still with our penchant for starting wars -- formally and informally.  My problem is still with our the way we outspend the next 17 highest spending nations of the world combined!  My problem is how "might is right" is consuming us -- and our nation.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the physical fitness standards are not changed, then there will be fewer complaints.  If they are changed, then there will be problems.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 24 2013, 2:38 pm)
If the physical fitness standards are not changed, then there will be fewer complaints.  If they are changed, then there will be problems.

Definitely agree. That's an area to tread carefully through.
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do have one question though... in future wars, when our women combat soldiers are captured by our enemies -- or more likely, by people just defending themselves against our invasions --  will our government, our media and perhaps we ourselves make moral hay by denouncing their captors as somehow more barbarous than if they had "merely" captured our men?

I seem to recall back in the days of Desert Storm, that we showed particular concern when some of our women troops were captured...

In asking this, I am not questioning women's combat readiness, fortitude or toughness.  I am questioning our society's double standards.  Have we finally moved on?

I'd expect we show equal concern -- and not revert back to sexist concerns?  But I suspect our government and our media will -- to exploit our emotions -- to better demonize those whom we invade.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The military already has a big problem-Adultery and fraternization are against the Uniform Code of Military Justice. That may be obsolete, but several high ranking officers have had their careers come to an end on that petard recently. And it's not just the high profile cases.
Sexual offenses among leading reasons for Court-Martials
That article deals with problems among officers,
Sometimes, you just can't fight biology-and young folks hormones:
(Old article, but the problem still exists)
Pregnant sailors on Aircraft Carrier causing problems
And now, females are being allowed on submarines, which typically stay submerged during their entire deployment. What is the cost, both monetary and in readiness to sail back to a port to put off a pregnant submariner, or arrange a mid-ocean pickup of same.
I have no doubts that some women can perform combat duties as well as men. I have significant doubts about the wisdom of placing young men and women together under combat conditions and expecting that there will not be massive issues relating to an activity that men and women have been engaging in even before we started going to war.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 8
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 24 2013, 3:41 pm)

(JimInMD @ Jan. 24 2013, 2:38 pm)

Definitely agree. That's an area to tread carefully through.

I agree Jim, I have no problem with females serving as police, firefighters or military, but the fitness standards should be the same.

Girl pushups my @ss.
 Post Number: 9
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 24 2013, 5:38 pm)

There you go.

Capture raises sexual abuse concerns. But I don't see a change in the trend of few troops captured in recent fighting. It'll have to be (BP-Censored)-to-the-wall fighting.

I think there'll be some bad-as women coming into the Corps and qualifying as Army Rangers and so on.

There are a lot of physically and mentally tough women around these days. It's really cool.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Re sexual tension and issues within the ranks and among ranks - the military is going to have to change its culture. It can remain a warrior culture, just not one that tolerates sexist (any more than it tolerates racist) behavior.

The times they are a-changin'.

--------------

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 11
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any issue with women serving in combat. my question is why would anyone want to be in combat? Maybe in WWII or some or the early volunteers after 9-11, I can understand the concept

In the early to mid 70's when I could have been drafted, I didn't sign up for the draft until Steve Ford signed up. If I was drafted you would have found me in Canada.

I appreciate those who voluntarily serve and support the troops. Do women consider this progress?

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 12
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not remember the source, but I read/heard this somewhere:

"The most ferocious, determined  fighter in the animal kingdom is a mammalian mother protecting her young".

Might not be true, and "young" is not same as "comrades", but I've thought about this observation when women-in-combat was being discussed.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do women consider this progress?

Of course women consider this progress, and more importantly, they consider it equality of opportunity to succeed at their chosen profession.

The sad truth is that the senior leadership in Army and Marines is very much dependent on combat experience, and it helps a lot in the Navy and Air Force.  Women who go to the academys have chosen armed service as their profession, but they have been artificially limited in their oppotunity to achieve top leadership by this discriminatory rule, and now they will have a chance to compete on a level playing field.

And I predict that they will do very well.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^ I don't think that's a sad truth at all. Too many REMFs in leadership positions already. I think I understand what you're saying though - sad with respect to women. I have no doubt they will do well.

I saw something to the effect that not all women will qualify for combat... That should be revised to say that not everyone (women or men) will qualify for combat.

--------------

Post Number: 15
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are they going to do during their unclean time?

Leviticus 15:19
And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.
 Post Number: 16
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Women ARE already in the US Military...and on the front lines. They just don't (yet) seem to get full credit for it.

Yes, we do have women submariners. It's just recently started, but no SNAFUs so far.

There are presently in the US, women Generals and Admirals...who have served their country with distinction. Some women are Captains of our Navy's finest fightng ships.

Canada and Isreal...for examples...have had women in their Military for decades. It's certainly nothing new to them.

sent from my iHop
 Post Number: 17
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 24 2013, 5:38 pm)

Agreed

As long as none of the requirements are watered down I really do not care.

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18
Liling Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just had to say that of all the arguments, the one that female soldiers should not be allowed in because they destroy the careers of men I find the most amusing. As far as I can see, the bigger the mix the better. At best army should be about learning to cope with each other, not just to enforce believes or attitudes.

I'm not in favor of any war but I'm sure the army can be a great eye opening travel experience. Having a rich variety of people working there will in my opinion enforce that benefit.

--------------
Travel Addict
17 replies since Jan. 24 2013, 4:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Defense Department to allow women in combat roles
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions