2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How effective would wider background checks be, in reducing crime?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If convicted felons were unable to buy guns at gunshows, just what effect would that have on the crime rate?

It's hard to find statistics on the web to research this question, but I did find this:

"In 1997 among State inmates possessing a gun, fewer than 2% bought their firearms at flea markets or gun shows, about 12% from a retail store or pawn shop, and 80% from family, freinds, a street buy, or an illegal source" ( page 1, in side box).

Although this statistic is 15 years old, it may tell the story of how ineffective closing the gun show loophole would be; criminals will still get guns with ease.

The more you bring statistics to bear on today's gun control controversy, the more you realize how little the gun control proposals under consideration would do.

---George
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 6:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most measures touted by gun control fanatics in their emotional frenzy will have no real statistical effect on gun crime.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 6:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gun laws don't concern criminals.  Only the law abiding would be punished buy more extensive background checks.

I think we should have instant background checks and a fee each and every time a vote is cast.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 4
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 28 2013, 6:49 am)
I think we should have instant background checks and a fee each and every time a vote is cast.

How about an IQ test as well?
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 28 2013, 3:49 am)
Gun laws don't concern criminals.  Only the law abiding would be punished buy more extensive background checks.

Background checks (for determining residency etc.) are already conducted for voter registration.

Which I fully support.

So registering to be able purchase a firearm (like your comparison to voting) and getting checked would follow along with that quite nicely.

Excellent!
 Post Number: 6
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 28 2013, 3:49 am)

Oops...there's that pesky Constitution getting in your way again.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montanalonewolf
Most measures touted by gun control fanatics in their emotional frenzy will have no real statistical effect on gun crime.

WRONG!

You are missing the point. Gun control supporters are not stupid - and realize just as you do that once all the guns are confiscated, that bad people will use bombs and other weapons to accomplish the same result.

But crimes committed using guns will decrease because the laws will make it more of a hassle to get guns. If the "common sense" background check laws are perverted as most other gun laws have been, then anti-gun bureaucrats can for example, expand the definition of mental illness. One likely example: They can even start REQUIRING that potential gun purchasers PROVE that they are mentally stable by REQUIRING a recent psychological report - at the gun purchaser's expense of course. Paying a few hundred to PROVE that you are mentally competent will discourage a lot of gun purchasers.

So once the guns get harder to obtain, gun crime will go down - because bad guys will use knives, homemade bombs, even hammers. Then gun crime will go down.

New Yorkers realized that there would be a public uproar if handguns were banned - so they simply banned any gun with a capacity to hold more than seven bullets. That effectively bans MOST handguns since almost no handguns - except ancient revolvers - have a capacity of less than seven bullets. So handguns are effectively banned WITHOUT actually going through the public uproar!

Measures touted by gun control proponents have the exact same objective - and are cleverly crafted in the same way. The objective is a gun-free society like London.

So simply stating that the "measures touted by gun control fanatics in their emotional frenzy will have no real statistical effect on gun crime" is shortsighted.
6 replies since Jan. 28 2013, 4:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How effective would wider background checks be
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions