2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Man admits selling illegal guns at gun show< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now how can this be? I thought there were no loop holes.

RALEIGH, N.C. —An Upstate man admits he sold dozens of powerful military-style rifles at gun shows and in hotel parking lots without requiring any paperwork or background checks.

Michael Beas of Greer, S.C., pleaded guilty Wednesday in a federal courtroom in Charlotte to a felony count of dealing firearms without a license.

Prosecutors said a Charlotte gun store owner alerted federal officials in August after Beas legally purchased 13 semi-automatic AK-47 rifles over the Internet.

Court records showed Beas admitted selling scores of high-powered weapons at gun shows in the Carolinas and Georgia, including parts for .50 caliber sniper rifles capable of piercing an inch of steel armor. He said he didn't track who bought the guns.

http://www.wyff4.com/news....bfVlgnt

What a dirtbag.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I ran the NRA -- not only would I not fight against gun control laws -- I would champion them so that my organization would be the driving force (and not the reactionary force) to ensuring responsible gun ownership.  To me, that would be the best way to ensure national support for continued gun ownership!

But instead, I see the powerful NRA the same as the formerly-powerful Tobacco Institute!  TI used to be feared by everyone.  And instead of being the driving force to ensure responsible tobacco production, selling and consumption -- it used its vast power and influence to stymie all efforts at reform!  It took decades -- but when the voting public finally overwhelmed the TI and its lobbyists -- the tide turned so relentlessly that smokers are now treated little better than rats in public areas!!

Unless the NRA changes tactics -- I see it going the same way as the Tobacco Institute.  Back 30 years ago, few could imagine fighting the TI and winning -- but that was what happened exactly.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 31 2013, 8:38 pm)
If I ran the NRA -- not only would I not fight against gun control laws -- I would champion them so that my organization would be the driving force (and not the reactionary force) to ensuring responsible gun ownership.  To me, that would be the best way to ensure national support for continued gun ownership!

But instead, I see the powerful NRA the same as the formerly-powerful Tobacco Institute!  TI used to be feared by everyone.  And instead of being the driving force to ensure responsible tobacco production, selling and consumption -- it used its vast power and influence to stymie all efforts at reform!  It took decades -- but when the voting public finally overwhelmed the TI and its lobbyists -- the tide turned so relentlessly that smokers are now treated little better than rats in public areas!!

Unless the NRA changes tactics -- I see it going the same way as the Tobacco Institute.  Back 30 years ago, few could imagine fighting the TI and winning -- but that was what happened exactly.

Hahahahahahaha. Me too. I hope you're right about the NRA and TI. But I think the 2nd Amendment has more passionate supporters than tobacco.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well yeah, Tobacco has no amendment but arms, and the RIGHT to bear them does.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 5
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not agree with the NRA’s hard nose stance on regulating the private sale of firearms, and I agree that it will ultimately be counterproductive in maintaining gun ownership rights. However, I understand that it is a function of the extremism on the part of the anti-gun lobby, and the pattern of progressive erosion of 2nd Amendment rights. Further, unlike the TI, the NRA is a private organization that represents members. Although demonized as an organization that solely represents the concerns of the gun industry, their support of private gun sales is actually evidence to the contrary.

Just few technical points:
1) The guns were not illegal
2) This was not an example of the “gun show loophole” (simply evidenced by the fact that he was in fact charged with a crime). His crime was dealing firearms without a license.
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben2World
Unless the NRA changes tactics -- I see it going the same way as the Tobacco Institute.  Back 30 years ago, few could imagine fighting the TI and winning -- but that was what happened exactly

I still see a lot of people smoking. I agree that there are a lot fewer people smoking - and that the tobacco is imported from Brazil instead of being grown in the US. But until tobacco is banned, I think that tobacco will still kill.

So the NRA may lose power, and the US may make it more and more difficult for people to own guns by license fees and bureaucratic red tape. But until ALL guns are confiscated and banned, guns will still kill.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People kill. Are you also advocating banning tobacco because of its health effects. Where might that logic lead us too. By now only smokers living under rocks are unaware of the health risks. Should we ban 32 oz. cokes as well?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I find most annoying is that this guy only faces a maximum of five years

But Mark is correct

It was legal for this guy to buy the weapons....he went through an FFL

If it was one rifle it would still be legal for him to sell it to someone else

But this bozo was trying to be a gun dealer without the licensing

Be interesting to see if any of the weapons ever turn up in a crime. The assumption by the anti gun crowd is that they simply MUST have been sold to criminals and terrorists

A universal background check law would only have inflated his prices !

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 31 2013, 8:38 pm)

The NRA has always come down firmly on the side of keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals and crazies.

What they are not excited about is laws that are simply unnoficial registration of firearms.

I have never heard the NRA speak against the states that have background checks for all purchases at gun shows

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm of the opinion that the term gun dealer is not clearly defined.

One point I can agree on would be to clearly define what constitutes a dealer and what constitutes a collector etc.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Feb. 01 2013, 8:59 am)
The NRA has always come down firmly on the side of keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals and crazies.

Could you give us some specifics on how they've done that?
 Post Number: 12
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 01 2013, 5:08 pm)

I think that involves opposing any sort of gun regulations ever and using their lobbying power to roll back and eliminate what gun laws are already on the books.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Feb. 01 2013, 5:26 pm)

(HighGravity @ Feb. 01 2013, 5:08 pm)

I think that involves opposing any sort of gun regulations ever and using their lobbying power to roll back and eliminate what gun laws are already on the books.

It looks like the NRA wants to make it harder for people judged to be mentally ill to slip through the cracks in the existing background check system. So maybe they are listening to the rest of the country's call to ban guns and are ready to start giving in a little on their hard stance.

NRA on Background Checks

On Thursday, NRA president David Keane said the group supported measures to fine-tune the current system used by licensed gun dealers, and the inclusion in that system of people judged to be mentally ill.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They ought to insist on laying down the guidelines on what constitutes mentally ill and who will be certifying before agreeing.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 02 2013, 9:44 am)
They ought to insist on laying down the guidelines on what constitutes mentally ill and who will be certifying before agreeing.

Do you realize that several things you've stated on this forum would cause you to be identified as mentally ill if you stated them in front of a psychiatrist? Your belief that Aurora was a government conspiracy for instance would indicate you're psychotic.

The thing about psychosis though is that it can happen to anyone if the right stressors are at play. A person with no history of mental illness at all, can become psychotic for any number of reasons, lack of sleep, illness, stress, alcohol, dugs, etc. This can happen years after they've been collecting firearms.  It also happen temporarily and never occur again.

This fairytale belief you have that a person who is mentally ill can be easily identified is just utter nonsense. The NRA is attacking the "mental health system" the same way the Tea Party attacks "the government" and "the media" or the way Occupy Wall Street groups attack "big business." It's all about finding a boogie man that you can blame instead of dealing with specific issues.  People who aren't emotionally attached to their firearms readily recognize the propaganda being used by the NRA.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are your qualifications for diagnosing psychosis? And of anonymous individuals on the net no less. You are a hoot.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't diagnose you. I'm stating facts. Paranoid delusions are a symptom of psychosis. My point is that you keep referring to the mentally ill and you don't seem to realize how difficult it is for people to properly diagnosed. Depression is a mental illness. Are your ready to disarm everyone who is depressed?

You keep bashing psychotropic drugs which are necessary for many people to keep their symptoms in check so you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You oppose measures to treat mental illness yet you keep blaming mental illness for gun deaths even though very few can be attributed to that.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 02 2013, 10:14 am)
It's all about finding a boogie man that you can blame instead of dealing with specific issues.  People who aren't emotionally attached to their firearms readily recognize the propaganda being used by the NRA.

Like finding AR-15's, despite all factual evidence, are somehow to blame for violence in the US? People who don't have an irrational gun phobia recognize the propaganda being used by the anti-gun crowd.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AR-15's are one of many things used to commit violence. Are you not aware of that?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am aware of the extreme rarity of AR-15’s to be used in acts of violence.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you aware that they are made for the purpose of killing people?
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 02 2013, 11:18 am)
Are you aware that they are made for the purpose of killing people?

ALL guns are made to kill.

The AR-15, with its low recoil and accurate 22 caliber bullet is just easier for women and smaller people to use. Bigger guns and shotguns are heavy and make it hard for smaller people to control the recoil.

That is why it is important look at more than banning just AR-15's.
21 replies since Jan. 31 2013, 8:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Man admits selling illegal guns at gun show
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions