2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The case for a national ID card, The Washington Post was good today< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 10:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinion....adlines

A solution I've long been supporting.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suspect the same people who gripe the most about illegal immigration will cry the loudest about ID cards involving Big Brother or the Mark of the Beast or some other such paranoid nonsense.
 Post Number: 3
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An even better solution is the implanted RFID, Stop Worrying and Embrace the RFID.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Feb. 03 2013, 11:09 pm)
An even better solution is the implanted RFID, Stop Worrying and Embrace the RFID.

I want one that will monitor vital signs like BP, pulse, cholesterol, etc and would also include a pedometer and GPS and be wifi equipped so I could download the info.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This has been an interesting political football in AZ.  They were among the early proponents of REAL ID, but the legislature then refused to comply when it was enacted (based on the good, old mark of the beast argument).

Eventually, though, they swung as far as possible in the other direction.  They not only endorse it, but there was actually talk of refusing to honor IDs of states that they didn't consider compliant enough with REAL ID, regardless of how the federal government judged that compliance.  I can't imagine the lunacy that could have unfolded if that interpretation of validity had carried the day.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Show me your papers!" will be a consequence of such a card.

If illegal immigrants can’t get jobs, they won’t come to this country.

It's a given that they can and will find work. After all, crime still takes place even with heavy penalties when caught.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montanalonewolf
It's a given that they can and will find work.

I won't disagree. The vast majority are honest, hardworking people - the best of their people. They come here for the same reasons that all have come here - to find a better life.

But this is the era of terrorism and Iran will soon be able to supply small suitcase nukes and dirty bombs to proxies that can easily be smuggled into the the US along with the present illegal guns and drugs. So the US must gain control of the borders and the people who enter. The OP article is directed to illegal workers. But even more important, I think, is national security.

A hard to counterfeit national ID, along with a powerful computer system that keeps track of who has left the US and who has entered legally, will help stop smugglers and terrorists. The advantage of RFID's implanted at birth is that monitoring can be done anywhere, including at ports of entry, without interfering with the lives of legal citizens. For example, an RFID reader in say, Memphis, could detect an illegal as they entered a Walmart.

HighGravity
I want one that will monitor vital signs like BP, pulse, cholesterol, etc

That is not exactly science fiction. RFID technology is still evolving. Keeping and updating your medical records on an implanted RFID as well as recent digital photos are already in the works. I feel sure that GPS tracking is at least being researched.
 Post Number: 8
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Please let me know before they begin implanting the RFID chips so I have time to get through law school.  The 4th amendment cases would make me a VERY wealthy man.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Feb. 04 2013, 7:41 am)
HighGravity
I want one that will monitor vital signs like BP, pulse, cholesterol, etc

That is not exactly science fiction. RFID technology is still evolving. Keeping and updating your medical records on an implanted RFID as well as recent digital photos are already in the works. I feel sure that GPS tracking is at least being researched.

From there, it's only a matter of time before we'll be able to change our body chemistry from our iPads. Can't sleep, just dial in some extra melatonin. Need more energy, dial in some extra B12. The illegal drug trade will likely start coming from hackers who can alter body chemistry to induce intoxication.
 Post Number: 10
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tracking collars would be good too.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Feb. 04 2013, 7:41 am)
A hard to counterfeit national ID ...

Making it harder to counterfeit only changes the means of circumvention.   People just buy real ones from corrupt government employees.   I can't remember the last time we went a whole year without at least one DMV clerk getting busted for selling IDs on the side.
10 replies since Feb. 03 2013, 10:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The case for a national ID card
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions