2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Heros? Football?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 3:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard an announcer on CNN Sunday morning talking about the Superbowl. She used the term "football heros".

That really irked me.

Really? Football heros? Football stars would be fine or football celebrities.

But, I think heros should be a term reserved for heroics such as what a soldier would do or what a cop would do or what someone does to save a life or prevent an accident.

But heros in football?? Let's stop that saying right now before the meaning of hero is degraded to imply that people playing a game are somehow above those who actually are heros.

Anyone agree? Or am I taking it too far?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everybody's  a hero now, dd, get with the program!!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree.   I don't think they qualify as "heros".

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"football heros".

Within the context as clearly stated, of the game of football, sure why not.

And "hero" has already been degraded to the point of irrelevancy by it's overuse.
 Post Number: 5
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 04 2013, 3:17 pm)
I heard an announcer on CNN Sunday morning talking about the Superbowl. She used the term "football heros".

That really irked me.

But, I think heros should be a term reserved for heroics such as what a soldier would do or what a cop would do or what someone does to save a life or prevent an accident.

But heros in football?? Let's stop that saying right now before the meaning of hero is degraded to imply that people playing a game are somehow above those who actually are heros.

So what'd you think of the commercial about how if it wasn't for our soldiers making sacrifices overseas we wouldn't have a Superbowl to watch?
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's ludicrous an disturbing at the same time.  They play a game, that is all.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 7
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 04 2013, 2:59 pm)

(desert dweller @ Feb. 04 2013, 3:17 pm)

That really irked me.

So what'd you think of the commercial about how if it wasn't for our soldiers making sacrifices overseas we wouldn't have a Superbowl to watch?

I didn't watch the Superbowl game.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 04 2013, 1:59 pm)

I didn't see the game, so I can only imagine the commercial per your description.

Within the context of the last two wars... my thoughts are that if it weren't for the arrogance and ignorance of our GOP political leadership, the cowardice of the Democratic Party, and the general apathy and ignorance of our voting public -- five thousand more young American men and women could be enjoying the game -- instead of their lives snuffed out for dubious political purposes!!   :angry:

Our soldiers making sacrifices overseas?  Wasting their lives notwithstanding, America's political leadership also caused widespread death and destruction in Afghanistan and Iraq.  :angry:

And finally, ONLY the most arrogant and/or the most ignorant could view the events of these past few years and gloat about our self-inflicted "sacrifices"!!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That pairing of words goes way back.
 Post Number: 10
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 04 2013, 2:17 pm)

That really irked me.

Maybe looking into what those 'football heros' do on their free time might help with what is being said?

Not all those players toss benjamins and costly champagne around in the local gentlemens club during off season.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Feb. 04 2013, 6:04 pm)
Maybe looking into what those 'football heros' do on their free time might help with what is being said?
Not all those players toss benjamins and costly champagne around in the local gentlemens club during off season.

And this is supposed to qualify them as heroes?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well if a sammich can be a hero...
 Post Number: 13
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess since a football hero can actually get hurt, it is slightly more appropriate than calling someone a "guitar hero."

The word hero has been tossed around right and left since 9/11. I think a true hero has to risk something while helping others.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(george of the j @ Feb. 04 2013, 9:11 pm)
The word hero has been tossed around right and left since 9/11.

You don't say?  Just like the song with that title...

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This might help?

See item #4.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Feb. 04 2013, 9:38 pm)
This might help?

See item #4.

Still the same underlying question... some roles / activities just don't seem that worthy of 'extreme admiration'.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 1:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a big fan of athleticism. You know who Daniel Komen is? If you can't admire someone who, twice, ran under 8 minutes for 2 miles, that's your particular concern. For me? No problem whatsoever; I'm a huge fan. And all he did was run around in circles.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 1:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

True, it's no mean feat to put oneself ahead of all others -- to compete, persevere, and win!

But I guess I subscribe to the more traditional understanding of heroism:  putting others ahead of oneself, and doing so in spite of danger to self!

--------------
 Post Number: 19
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 3:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like most words, I suspect the word "hero" reasonably has more than one application; and when it's qualified with a caveat like 'football' in front of it, or guitar, I don't see anything untoward about it; context is everything. Tt's not like anyone should be confusing with the exploits of Jimi Hendrix or Jerry Rice or Daniel Komen with, say, Mother Theresa.

I don't see that 'danger' has to be a part of it at all.

How about 'Super Heroes'?

Kids have sporting heroes all the time, always have had and I suspect always will. I don't think that's harmful.

--------------

Post Number: 20
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:59 pm)

(Raznation @ Feb. 04 2013, 6:04 pm)

And this is supposed to qualify them as heroes?

Well, if youre a inner-city child who participates in a football player sponsored program to help him or her, maybe so.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Feb. 04 2013, 7:04 pm)

(desert dweller @ Feb. 04 2013, 2:17 pm)

That really irked me.

I can almost see your point.

But, Bill Gates gives money and time to charities. Heck, even I do the same. But, that's "nice guy" status. Not heroic actions.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Feb. 05 2013, 12:13 am)
Like most words, I suspect the word "hero" reasonably has more than one application; and when it's qualified with a caveat like 'football' in front of it, or guitar, I don't see anything untoward about it; context is everything. Tt's not like anyone should be confusing with the exploits of Jimi Hendrix or Jerry Rice or Daniel Komen with, say, Mother Theresa.

Kids have sporting heroes all the time, always have had and I suspect always will. I don't think that's harmful.

I see no danger either.  But it's kinda like "grade inflation" -- when more and more people are graded "above average" or even "excellent" -- that sort of thing.  Cheapens the meaning, sometimes, but hardly the worst of sins.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can handle game announcers using  the adjective "Heroic".  Some  players "save" games.  

But, I can't handle the adjective "Brilliant".

Joe Montana was the best QB I've seen, but even his Momma wouldn't describe what he did as "brilliant".

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 24
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 05 2013, 8:25 am)

I see no danger either.  But it's kinda like "grade inflation" -- when more and more people are graded "above average" or even "excellent" -- that sort of thing.  Cheapens the meaning, sometimes, but hardly the worst of sins.

Now using a term "football heroes" is a sin? Or changing grade means is a sin?

I'd suggest it's not a sin at all. But, ymmv.

--------------

Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Feb. 05 2013, 2:19 pm)

(Ben2World @ Feb. 05 2013, 8:25 am)

Now using a term "football heroes" is a sin? Or changing grade means is a sin?

I'd suggest it's not a sin at all. But, ymmv.

Figure of speech, W, or are you always this argumentative?   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 26
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the entire concept of "sin" is simply silly.

Really - complaining about "grade inflation"? First World Problems, bro.

--------------

25 replies since Feb. 04 2013, 3:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Heros? Football?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions