2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Obama is your daddy!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The President of the United States is, you know, our boss. But also, you know, the president and the first lady are kind of like the mom and the dad of the country

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog....9yUpTTl
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Messiah Moon, is that you?

Say hi to Hitler.

ETA: Oh and nice crown!
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Phooey!  I ain't no mutt!!   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes sense. If the baby daddy is behind on his child support, government becomes the child supporting entity by default, and who's the head of the government after all?

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

n/m.

Nevermind. Not even worth it.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 07 2013, 9:09 am)
n/m.

Nevermind. Not even worth it.

+1

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bad form Buzzards.
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am older than he is.   Maybe I am his daddy.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 07 2013, 11:59 am)
Makes sense. If the baby daddy is behind on his child support, government becomes the child supporting entity by default, and who's the head of the government after all?

You just don't have the slightest clue what government does do you?
 Post Number: 10
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! You through that out there?

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 11
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bloomberg is your daddy---and he'll spank you if you drink a soda.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 07 2013, 4:11 pm)

You just don't have the slightest clue what government does do you?

In this case I do. Certain demographic groups have all but abandoned the nuclear family. In a traditional nuclear family, both parents are available to provide both financially and emotionally, so that statistically, the children of said family have a far better outlook than the children where only one parent is present.
However, when massive numbers of out of wedlock births take place, and the "baby daddy" is not around to parent the child responsibly, the mothers cobble together an existence with government benefits-Section 8, Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid, TANF/Disabilty, there might even be others I do not know about. The sperm donor is often unable to provide even a modicum of child support, much less be involved in the childs upbringing. Thus, the government has effectively stepped in and become the childs father, at least financially.
This is not a racial thing. Young, poor,  uneducated Caucasian women have similar rates of out of wedlock births as those of other ethnicities.
I don't think it is much of a stretch to say that a lot of these single mothers view government as the provider of their children, and a fair statement that many view Obama as at least a father figure, seeing in his family an idealized version of what they want. Certainly the election results bear this out:
" The voting gap between married and unmarried voters is much larger than the gender gap. In all recent elections, married voters have favored the Republican candidate and unmarried voters the Democrat. This year, 56% of married voters favored Romney and 42% favored Obama. Unmarried voters can be never married, widowed, or divorced. Many in this category are single and young. In 2008, 65% of them voted for Obama; in 2012 62% did. Non-married women supported Obama more strongly (67%) than did non-married men (56%). The not-married portion of the population is growing.
The marriage gap in this election was 41 points. The gender gap was 18." (www.American.com-Election results from A to Z)
So what was so outrageous about my assertion that a growing number of mothers view government, rather than an absent "baby daddy", as the provider for their family? They certainly voted their short term economic interest in the last election.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you noticed at all the rapid decline in birth rates in the US the past five years?

Do you see at all how easily available abortion for those who choose it, plus free availiability of contraceptives, and much increased  sex education, all supported by liberals, could help with the problems you seem to be so upset about??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Feb. 08 2013, 12:31 pm)
Have you noticed at all the rapid decline in birth rates in the US the past five years?

Do you see at all how easily available abortion for those who choose it, plus free availiability of contraceptives, and much increased  sex education, all supported by liberals, could help with the problems you seem to be so upset about??

Ah, except the empirical data shows that they are not taking advantage of all that lovely birth control, sex ed, and abortions you tout.
Abortion on demand has been available for decades, a box of condoms are like what, five bucks at Wal-Mart?, and sex ed has been taught in high schools since I was there-a long time ago.
In fact, if current trends hold, unmarried women may be having more children in a few decades than married ones:
Gap narrows between married and unmarried birth rates
So, a fine kettle of fish your liberal (your term, not mine) solutions appear to be stewing up.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 15
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure.....Prior to Obama's 2008 election, there was very little pre-marital sex, single mom births, dead beat dads or welfare queens/kings in this country......too bad term limits prevented us from re-electing president Cheney to a 3rd term.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Feb. 08 2013, 12:52 pm)
I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure.....Prior to Obama's 2008 election, there was very little pre-marital sex, single mom births, dead beat dads or welfare queens/kings in this country......too bad term limits prevented us from re-electing president Cheney to a 3rd term.

Oh, you are right. The problems have been there for decades, but have only continued to get worse, and right now, a government that seems determined to fatten the rolls of each and every program without regard for fiscal consequences is doing nothing to stem the deterioration. Some of us flaming social conservatives might even think that dependence on government programs in lieu of traditional family life is being encouraged, with the label of "single mother"  being replaced with "reliable Democratic vote", hang the societal consequences, especially long term ones.
Just what will this country do on the day that no one buys it's debt? And unless something happens, that day will assuredly come.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 17
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The job of the government is to do for the people only what they cannot do for themselves. Our elections are now simply bidding wars to determine who can give more of the nations treasures to the unproductive.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 08 2013, 10:41 am)
So what was so outrageous about my assertion that a growing number of mothers view government, rather than an absent "baby daddy", as the provider for their family? They certainly voted their short term economic interest in the last election.

It's not so much outrageous as just plain stupid. Food stamps make up about 2% of the federal budget. The military, medicare, medicaid, and social security comprise 61%. Your assumption that food stamps go solely to a certain demographic that you happen to look down upon is just an assumption used to support your prejudice.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 08 2013, 3:03 pm)

It's not so much outrageous as just plain stupid. Food stamps make up about 2% of the federal budget. The military, medicare, medicaid, and social security comprise 61%. Your assumption that food stamps go solely to a certain demographic that you happen to look down upon is just an assumption used to support your prejudice.

Food Stamp usage surges 1 in five Americans on rolls.

You don't see a problem here? And before anyone jumps down my throat, I am aware that the growth started during the Bush 43 years. But as I have tried to point out, the problem is as much societal than political.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course I see a problem: those people need jobs. The "spike" indicates those aren't lifer welfare moochers doesn't it? The Great Recession shoved them there.

And employment will get them away from the program while it has done what it was designed for: keeping people healthy so when jobs are available they're capable of performing them. So Food Stamps are another national security program, IMHO.

"Food stamp use has spiked 51 percent since October 2008, when the economy was in free fall. The number of Americans now using food stamps is roughly the same as the number of Americans living in poverty.

Food stamp benefits cost a record $71.81 billion in the 2011 fiscal year, up 43 percent from two years before, according to the USDA. (To put things in perspective, that's roughly one-tenth of federal defense spending in 2011.)"..
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 08 2013, 5:41 pm)

(HighGravity @ Feb. 08 2013, 3:03 pm)

Food Stamp usage surges 1 in five Americans on rolls.

You don't see a problem here? And before anyone jumps down my throat, I am aware that the growth started during the Bush 43 years. But as I have tried to point out, the problem is as much societal than political.

So what? It's still a fraction of where our tax money goes. If you took the time to look at the reasons for its growth recently, you'd realize it's due to lost wages, not lost "baby daddies."  You're working way to hard to find a reason to hate a "certain demographic," as you like to call them.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HG,  I don't hate anyone. My perception is that certain behaviors, specifically having children outside of the two parent family unit, produce less than desirable results, both for the people involved and the society in which they live.
Exceptions exist, of course, but any decent size sample will show without a doubt that the greatest indicator for poverty and further unwed parenthood is the absence of two parents.
As I have stated elsewhere, I won't be around to see how this all plays out, but my wife and daughter have to live with the ramifications of these societal trends, so I still give a hoot.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 6:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 09 2013, 1:22 am)
Exceptions exist, of course, but any decent size sample will show without a doubt that the greatest indicator for poverty and further unwed parenthood is the absence of two parents.

So let me see if I can connect the dots of these disjointed statements of yours. Since you the "baby daddy" won't be around to see how this plays out, Obama is baby daddy to the whole country? Your desire to attack a certain "demographic" seems to have prevented you from comprehending your own metaphor.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Feb. 09 2013, 4:55 am)

So let me see if I can connect the dots of these disjointed statements of yours. Since you the "baby daddy" won't be around to see how this plays out, Obama is baby daddy to the whole country? Your desire to attack a certain "demographic" seems to have prevented you from comprehending your own metaphor.

Check the OP. I didn't say it, Chris Rock said it. You have a problem with what he said, talk to him.
My issue with with behaviors, not people, individually or as a group. And the behavior that I pointed out is taking a terrible toll on families and our society at large.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 10 2013, 4:58 pm)

(HighGravity @ Feb. 09 2013, 4:55 am)

Check the OP. I didn't say it, Chris Rock said it.

Why are you lying? Chris Rock did not use the term "baby daddy." You did.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Geeze, HG. Follow the dots. Chris Rock said Obama was the countries "Dad". Under the Obama administration (and to be fair, under previous ones, though the trend has accelerated under Obama), enrollment in government welfare programs has exploded. Even as the nation ostensibly recovered from recession, the current administration has been called out for making it easier for people to get-and stay-on government assistance.
Obama administration reverses Clinton welfare reforms
I pointed out that the absence of a father in the home led to the government being used as a proxy father, and that this was not a positive thing for our society.  And based on the continuing rise in government aid programs, it may be reasonably argued that the Obama administration sees this trend less as a national problem and more as a political opportunity-I already cited the "marriage gap" that dwarfed the gender gap in the last election.
Just out of sheer, prurient curiosity, do you see the continuing demise of the two parent household as a problem? I don't know if this has been researched, but I would be dimes to donuts that married, two parent families are where the taxes that support single parents come from.
Though given the current and projected state of our fiscal house, even Obama better hope that a lot more folks start getting married before starting families. If might just postpone the fiscal Armageddon we are heading for by a year or two.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 27
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 09 2013, 12:22 am)
HG,  I don't hate anyone. My perception is that certain behaviors, specifically having children outside of the two parent family unit, produce less than desirable results, both for the people involved and the society in which they live.
As I have stated elsewhere, I won't be around to see how this all plays out, but my wife and daughter have to live with the ramifications of these societal trends, so I still give a hoot.

And what ramifications are those?

I mean if you are seriously concerned about how unmarried women are having children and all.

How does it affect them personally?

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 11 2013, 12:10 am)
Geeze, HG. Follow the dots. Chris Rock said Obama was the countries "Dad". Under the Obama administration (and to be fair, under previous ones, though the trend has accelerated under Obama), enrollment in government welfare programs has exploded. Even as the nation ostensibly recovered from recession, the current administration has been called out for making it easier for people to get-and stay-on government assistance.
Obama administration reverses Clinton welfare reforms
I pointed out that the absence of a father in the home led to the government being used as a proxy father, and that this was not a positive thing for our society.  And based on the continuing rise in government aid programs, it may be reasonably argued that the Obama administration sees this trend less as a national problem and more as a political opportunity-I already cited the "marriage gap" that dwarfed the gender gap in the last election.
Just out of sheer, prurient curiosity, do you see the continuing demise of the two parent household as a problem? I don't know if this has been researched, but I would be dimes to donuts that married, two parent families are where the taxes that support single parents come from.
Though given the current and projected state of our fiscal house, even Obama better hope that a lot more folks start getting married before starting families. If might just postpone the fiscal Armageddon we are heading for by a year or two.

Unfortunately the dots you're connecting are all non sequiturs. The current rise in government assistance has more to do with people being out of work after the Bush FUBAR, not a lack of fathers.   Your desperate and rather pathetic attempts to justify your initial statement about baby daddies has left you floundering.
 Post Number: 29
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Children of 2 parent families are definitely better off, one of the main reasons I cannot understand opposition to gay marriages.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Feb. 11 2013, 5:23 am)

(buzzards @ Feb. 09 2013, 12:22 am)

And what ramifications are those?

I mean if you are seriously concerned about how unmarried women are having children and all.

How does it affect them personally?

Well, Raz, don't take this old Buzzards word for it. You might want to peruse this research from a prof at the U of Wisconsin (not exactly a bastion of conservatism).
Consequences of single-parent families
If increased risk of high school dropout, inter-generational poverty and single parenthood, lower self-esteem and higher risk of being both a victim and perpetrator of crime don't seem like bad "ramifications", well then I can't help you.
And it effects everyone including you and me because we live in a society where this is more and more common. Poor, uneducated, single parents are not bad people per se, but they are statistically as a group less productive citizens. And we need more productive citizens going forward, not less.
Like I said, I won't be around, but my widow and child will be, so yeah, I want a healthy society for them to live in, and my daughter to raise her family in when that time comes.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
34 replies since Feb. 06 2013, 5:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Obama is your daddy!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions