2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: American Citizens Split On DOJ Memo, Authorizing Government To Kill Them< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Onion nails it!!! :p

“On the one hand, I get it—it’s important for the government to be able to murder me and any of my friends or family members whenever they please for reputed national security reasons. But on the other hand, it would kind of be nice to stay alive and have, maybe, a trial, actual evidence—stuff like that,”

http://www.theonion.com/article....o,31207

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope the back lash pushes the federal government back to pre 9/11 policies. I hope the administration is left stuttering and this position is reversed! Soon.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could accept an after-the-fact drone attack to take out the perpetrators, whether it's called retaliation or revenge, but killing someone before they act is punishment for only thinking about it.

Makes you wonder why the government can legally take out someone with a preemptive attack but I'd go to prison if I took out Big Bubba before he actually did anything just for saying he wanted to hurt/kill me. Virtually the same scenario but one is legal, one isn't.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I don't get, is that it doesn't seem overly difficult to hold a trial to convict most targets of treason or whatever other offense that would justify their "assassination". It could turn into a kangaroo court, but at least it would have the appearance of checks and balances.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I begin to appreciate how those anti-abortionists who support the death penalty feel!!

What a country!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Easy solution:  If a U.S. citizen becomes an al-Qaeda warrior, strip him of his citizenship.  Then whack him.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 7
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Easy solution:  If a U.S. citizen becomes an al-Qaeda warrior, strip him of his citizenship.  Then whack him.

Umm, not as easy as you might think.  An American citizen has to revoke his citizenship, or he has to be convicted of treason, which is a whole lot harder than asserting that he is a member of Al Qaida and blowing him up with a drone, unless of course he is a naturalized citizen, and then there are somewhat easier avenues to revoke citizenship, but not without evidence in court.

A tangled web, as one should expect, neh?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The way I look at it, if the United States government has a license to kill me and they don't pull the trigger that is a tacit endorsement of my existence -- which makes me feel a whole lot better  :D

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 9
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would seem like Julian Assange won't be sleeping very well.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 10
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Feb. 10 2013, 5:26 pm)

Umm, not as easy as you might think.  An American citizen has to revoke his citizenship, or he has to be convicted of treason, which is a whole lot harder than asserting that he is a member of Al Qaida and blowing him up with a drone, unless of course he is a naturalized citizen, and then there are somewhat easier avenues to revoke citizenship, but not without evidence in court.

A tangled web, as one should expect, neh?

Easy in the rhetorical sense, of course.  Sounds like we have to make it simpler to revoke one's citizenship.  If it's difficult to do even if a U.S. citizen is actively working with al-Qaeda to kill us, then it's too difficicult, nyet?

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 11
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is also a problem with an administration "declaring" a citizen an enemy of the state, or affiliated with al Qaida. An enemy of the state, or an enemy of the sitting administration? Affiliated with al Qaida, or stayed in the same hotel as an al Qaida operative once. Perhaps your a salesman for a corporation that does business abroad and your in Yemen to close a deal, and you happen to be a vocal critic of the administration back home!

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
10 replies since Feb. 08 2013, 8:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply American Citizens Split On DOJ Memo
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions