2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Republicans made history today, Unpredicted Filibustered of Hagel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 6:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First time ever a nominee for for Secretary of Defense has been filibustered

unprecedented

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news....er?lite

http://www.businessinsider.com/chuck-h....-2013-2

What is pathetic and very dishonest is Republicans have denied what they did is a filibuster
Like Ihofe saying

“It’s not a filibuster. I don’t want to use that word,” Inhofe told Foreign Policy’s Cable
blog. But he also said: “We’re going to require a 60-vote threshold.” Clear now?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs....it-last

Require a "60 foot threshhold" but its not filibuster?. Pathetic

They don't want to call it a filibuster because they know its unprecedented then again the
filibustering Republicans have been engaging since 2007 and especially in 2009 has already
been unprecedented.

having said that Democrat Jeff Merkeley of Orgeon tried to get filibuster reform through
early this year but Reid along with Mitch McConnel came to an agreement not to reform it

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-kl....re.html

So Reid shouldn't act surprised

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This move by the Rs might make the Ds change their mind about reform?

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 14 2013, 4:50 pm)

It'll be long forgotten by the time the next Congressional session rolls sround in two years and the Senate rules are changeable again.

Of course while this might have faded there's the certainty of lots more republican shenanigans along the same lines.
 Post Number: 4
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The question anyone would have to ask themselves is: "Why would any sane person ever vote for one of these jerks?"

But then... You remember how many of them show up around here - without enough intellectual voltage in any of them that, even if you could somehow wire all of their brains together in series, the equivalent electricity would only cause a light bulb to dimly flicker...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to know, HSF, I did not know about the cutoff to change the rules.  Actually I think it was Maddow who said the Rs would not do this, because it would cause them to lose the filibuster.  (I am not sure what she is saying now)

I wonder if Obama has to withdraw Hagel's nomination what the impact will be.  Why diidn't Reid change the rules?
I guess because that would be unprecedented as well (to not get an agreement with the Rs?)

--------------
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 15 2013, 1:43 am)
 Why diidn't Reid change the rules?

That one is simple, he's not dumb.  He knows that no majority lasts forever and mid-term elections are not traditionaly kind to the President's party.

As for the question at hand, I will say that Chuck Hagel is in my top five for the friendliest politicians that I have ever met, and I've met plenty.  That's not a qualifier for SecDef of course, but just an aside.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 14 2013, 10:16 pm)

It'll be long forgotten by the time the next Congressional session rolls sround in two years and the Senate rules are changeable again.

Of course while this might have faded there's the certainty of lots more republican shenanigans along the same lines.

lots of short memories to go around

http://thehill.com/blogs....ominees

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Feb. 15 2013, 2:06 am)

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 15 2013, 1:43 am)
 Why diidn't Reid change the rules?

That one is simple, he's not dumb.  He knows that no majority lasts forever and mid-term elections are not traditionaly kind to the President's party.

As for the question at hand, I will say that Chuck Hagel is in my top five for the friendliest politicians that I have ever met, and I've met plenty.  That's not a qualifier for SecDef of course, but just an aside.

Yeah, but if the Rs are willing to cross the line on filibustering Cabinet confirmations, what makes you think they won't change the rules anyway when they get in?

And couldn't the rules have been changed to say no filibustering Cabinet confirmations, and left the rest as is?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A big reason GOP lost in November was the perception by many that they were more interested in injuring Obama than helping the country.

This will strengthen that perception.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 10
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting (if correct?) snapshot of the  mindset of most GOP supporters.  Don't compromise.

http://news.yahoo.com/unyield....cs.html

".....A Pew poll last month found that 36 percent of GOP voters would look favorably on a politician who compromises, compared with 59 percent of Democrats and 53 percent of independent voters......"

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 11
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:57 am)
Yeah, but if the Rs are willing to cross the line on filibustering Cabinet confirmations, what makes you think they won't change the rules anyway when they get in?

They're not dumb either.  Both sides understand that they will be the minority at some point.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mean like they understand they will want to nominate cabinet officers?

Of course if they eventually let Hagel in then perhaps they haven't crossed the line , so much, but that is very much in doubt.

And like I said they could have changed the rules just with respect to cabinet appointees and when they become minority things would remain the same anyway.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:33 am)

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:57 am)

They're not dumb either.  Both sides understand that they will be the minority at some point.

Worms do turn and its always good to keep that in mind.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I found remarkable was the Republican laser-like focus on everything BUT what the next Secretary of Defense will be challenged with. Increasing military suicides. Not a question. Reduced military spending? 66,000 troops at war in Afghanistan? Oh no lets pound him on Bush's surge into Iraq.

Now why would Senator McCain be focused on surging? Is it possible he and his fellow Republicans want to surge another country or three? So anybody want to start the list of what countries Republicans want to invade for which they see Hagel's skepticism a potential barrier? Syria, Iran and who else?

Surge baby, surge.
 Post Number: 15
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep. The big hawks wanting to know if he'll be aggressive enough to promote the project for a new American century.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 16
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF, I think you're on to something there.

Hagel committed the unpardonable sin of ripping the Bush/Cheney administration on Iraq, but the bigger strike against him indeed may be his reluctance to satisfy the military industrial complex with more wars of choice.

Of course the SecDef ostensibly doesn't make those big foreign policy decisions, but SecDef Rumsfeld was certainly in the inner policy making circle on Iraq.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 17
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:09 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 14 2013, 10:16 pm)

lots of short memories to go around

http://thehill.com/blogs....ominees

Typical Bab, Cite a piece from someone that works for a 501© that popped up specifically
to oppose Hagel who doesn't refute or even attempt to refute the FACT that its unprecedented
to actually filibuster a NOMINEE FOR DEFENSE SECRETARY. Not attempt that was successfully
ended but actually filibustered. Not just a nominee for cabinet member but nominee for
a DEFENSE SECRETARY.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 18
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole party has been excessively obstructionist over the past four years, except when the president wants to pull out bombs and missiles. They can always be counted on for support for war. Hell, they say yes, how much do we write the check for, before they ask what country we will be attacking or why.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
17 replies since Feb. 14 2013, 6:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Republicans made history today
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions