2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: RFK arrested near the Whitehouse< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was arrested Wednesday in a show of civil disobedience in front of the White House. Kennedy, along with dozens of other environmental activists, was detained for blocking a thoroughfare in front of the White House in protest of the Keystone XL pipeline.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....popular

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with him! In the end that pipeline isn't going to do anything but cause serious pollution and raise the price of gas. While we fall behind China and others in terms of renuables/sustainables we let industry here !@#$ us in the @$$.

To borrow an old line about lawyers: what's a 100 speculators at the bottom of a sink hole?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isn't America's back yard being used to deliver Canadian oil to the world market. RFK, arrested in front of the Whitehouse! What would Jack, Robert and Teddy think?

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 4
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 15 2013, 10:44 am)
I'm with him! In the end that pipeline isn't going to do anything but cause serious pollution and raise the price of gas. While we fall behind China and others in terms of renuables/sustainables we let industry here !@#$ us in the @$$.

You're looking to China for forward thinking?  O.K., I'll bite:  Besides investing heavily in solar and wind production, China is also building coal-fired power plants at a frighteningly fast clip.  Why is that?  Because the the Chinese are smart enough to realize that green won't happen overnight.

Would you rather we snub our Canadian friends and continue importing Middle East crude at the same rate?  I know, you're answer would be neither.

The rest of us live in the real world.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best way to sequester carbon is to leave it in the ground

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 1:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Feb. 17 2013, 10:16 pm)

(double cabin @ Feb. 15 2013, 10:44 am)

You're looking to China for forward thinking?  O.K., I'll bite:  Besides investing heavily in solar and wind production, China is also building coal-fired power plants at a frighteningly fast clip.  Why is that?  Because the the Chinese are smart enough to realize that green won't happen overnight.

Would you rather we snub our Canadian friends and continue importing Middle East crude at the same rate?  I know, you're answer would be neither.

The rest of us live in the real world.

People that live in the real world are smart enough to think about the future. You know, the one where fossil fuels run out?
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm all for this sort of protest: when accompanied by serious jail time.

Otherwise it's a shallow photo op of little to no substantive meaning. The entire point of Thoreau was clog the jails NOT smile for the cameras!
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blocking a thoroughfare?  I hope he gets fined.  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From photos it looks like they were on the stretch of "street" between the White House and Lafayette Square: that's a closed to vehicles (other than government)  pedestrian "thoroughfare" so somebody is stretching for it.
 Post Number: 10
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 18 2013, 2:19 pm)
I'm all for this sort of protest: when accompanied by serious jail time.

Otherwise it's a shallow photo op of little to no substantive meaning. The entire point of Thoreau was clog the jails NOT smile for the cameras!

I would think the ultimate objective is good environmental policy. Perhaps in Thoreau's day clogging the jails was the way to do it, but things were a lot more local back then.

Public awareness & support (which involves modern mass media) is the tactical objective. While it may be true that serious jail time for someone like RFK Jr. would attract more attention than this recent blockage of thoroghfare, what kind of protest would be needed to result in serious jail time?

Substantial destruction of property or worse would likely be required, and such actions may constitute ethical/moral boundaries some people aren't willing to cross. Not everyone is cut out to be a monkey-wrencher. Also, when a public figure (or anyone else) commits a crime that merits imprisonment (in the eyes of our justice system) the end result may be to discredit that person and his agenda in the eyes of the majority of the public, and thereby do more harm than good to the cause. One person's eco-warrior is an eco-terrorist to many.

To make the recent protest more effective would not have required a more serious crime so much as a much larger group of people blocking the throroughfare and being arrested.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The jail time and the jail clogging, was, IIRC, in order to gain the traction necessary to effect change by signifying a sincere dedication to the cause and, sure, to stick it to "authority". A real sacrifice that lent credibility to the person's actions. On "authority's" side what's the sincerity in "arresting" someone you let go minutes later? That's sort of bogus as well...

What's needed to show up for a photo-op? A sincere desire for publicity and not much more. No real statement about how sincere someone is about a cause as there's no cost and hardly any inconvenience when it's "catch and release around the corner"

ETA: "serious" is also relative, for these photo-ops even overnight would be "serious" as there's loud complaints if the celebrity "protester" is even transported farther than around the corner from the camera's....

Parsing the difference between a demonstration for publicity and a civil disobedience action for making a statement. IMHO,Faux "arrests" devalue both genres.
 Post Number: 12
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is an enormous gap between "serious jail time" and "catch and release around the corner," and I can't tell where within that gap you think "real sacrifice that lent credibility to the person's actions"  would fall. I don't think a couple nights in jail is real sacrifice (unless it costs a person his job) but a couple weeks or months is a hardship and a couple years is serious jail time.

I disagree with the notion that "real sacrifice" is necessary to lend credibility to a person's actions. Credibility comes from true devotion to a cause, the amount of effort put into it, and steering a course based on getting results. I believe that can be done without getting arrested, and yet nevertheless sacrifices are often made in the process -- like forgoing monetary rewards from a more lucrative career or personal/family relationships that suffer as a consequence.

None of which is a commentary on the specific protest at which RFK Jr was recently arrested. But I will say that I admire his long record of environmental activism. I wish more sons & daughters of privilege pursued the course that he's been taking.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
11 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 9:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply RFK arrested near the Whitehouse
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions