2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ozone Hole Shrinks to Record Low< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 3:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It certainly sounds like good news, but I am the only one that really doesn't see the improvement based on the imagery? I'd say that 2011 and 1996 are nearly identical, and that 2002 looks better than 2012.

By international agreement, CFCs have been phased out of use. The policy has real effects, new satellite observations reveal. In 2012, the hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica was smaller than it has ever been in the last 10 years.

The new observations, announced by the European Space Agency (ESA) on Feb. 8, come from Europe's Met Op weather satellite, which has an instrument specifically designed to sense ozone concentrations. The findings suggest that the phase-out of CFCs is working, the ESA reports.

CFCs persist in the atmosphere for a long time, so it may take until the middle of the century for ozone concentrations to rebound to 1960s levels, the ESA reports. However, the hole in the ozone over Antarctica should completely close in the next few decades.

http://www.foxnews.com/science....binsite

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're saved!!!!  :p

Honestly...I don't even understand what that graphic is showing.  Is red bad?  Is blue bad?  Maybe both (green and yellow are best)?

Thanks for the detailed explanation Fox...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Red is best. The color bar is easier to read on the actual report.

ETA: I changed the size of the image in the OP to make it easier to read.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a better explaination and figure from the ESA itself:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Act....ecovery

--------------
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks like red is good.  I agree with WWBF that 2002 looks better than 2012.  I wonder if they computed an area-weighted average to make the call.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm...that's just weird (or maybe appears that way because I know next to nothing about atmospheric science) that the red is directly adjacent to the blue though, isn't it?

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:16 pm)
Hmmm...that's just weird (or maybe appears that way because I know next to nothing about atmospheric science) that the red is directly adjacent to the blue though, isn't it?

You didn't watch "Earth From Space" this past week, did you? :p

Basically, circumpolar winds swirl around the perimeter of Antarctica, blocking surrounding air masses.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:19 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:16 pm)

You didn't watch "Earth From Space" this past week, did you? :p

Basically, circumpolar winds swirl around the perimeter of Antarctica, blocking surrounding air masses.

Lol...oops!  No, I didn't get the chance to unfortunately.  Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a start, and it should get better.  The big difference between 2011 and 2012 is more just natural variability than anything, but the overall trend should be getting better soon over the Antarctic, if not already.

The ozone hole was originally caused by CFC's and other ozone-depleting gasses which catalyze on atmospheric ice crystals and break down ozone when they reach the stratosphere, something we didn't discover until the late 70's and 80's.  The Montreal Protocol (which is arguably the most successful intergovernmental environmental treaty ever enacted) phased those out worldwide starting in 1989.  Most CFC's and HCFC's have an atmospheric lifetime of about 25-50 years.  So, coming up near 25 years after the ban was put in place, we're seeing the ozone hole starting to heal.  They expect stratospheric ozone to have nearly healed back to previous levels by 2050.

Sometimes, governments looking ahead at impending problems and coming together to enact rules on what we (a global society) can do for our environment have a profound positive impact on our well-being.  We only wish today's politicians could be so sensible.

Although to be fair, the global environmental issues today are far more complicated and harder to solve than CFC's.  CFC's were easy for industry to replace with other affordable alternatives in aerosol propellants, coolants and the like.  Our current issues require a much harder set of choices.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree GoBlue, but I also remember lot's of people talking about how it would wreck their business and even now there are air conditioning repair people that refuse to believe that there was ever a threat. Back then, the people that made CFC's were going to make money making something else, so they weren't pumping lots of money into disinformation campaigns and lobbying congress. What we have now is a  full frontal attack on the truth.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
10 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 3:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ozone Hole Shrinks to Record Low
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions