2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Long lines to vote?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The President is very concerned about the long lines at polling stations. One way to cure this blight of mass lines at the polls would be to hire additional manpower and use improved technology. However, this would all cost money. What about simply imposing a nominal $10-15 fee on those citizens that chose to exercise their right to vote?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unconstitutional per the 24th Amendment.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why don't we make it $15,000?

For some, that would still be considered nominal.....
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok for the 2nd, but not the 24th….why?
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:54 pm)

Nothing has been done to abrogate the 2nd amendment, just like having to register to vote doesn't abrogate the 24th.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 1:54 pm)

Because of the actual WORDS in the amendment.

"AMENDMENT XXIV
Passed by Congress August 27, 1962. Ratified January 23, 1964.

Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay poll tax or other tax.

Section 2.
The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

Does only getting to vote once every four years for president violate the Constitution? So maybe what's good for voting should be good for firearms purchases: ONCE every FOUR years, first Tuesday in November. Choose wisely.  :cool:
 Post Number: 7
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:48 pm)
The President is very concerned about the long lines at polling stations. One way to cure this blight of mass lines at the polls would be to hire additional manpower and use improved technology. However, this would all cost money. What about simply imposing a nominal $10-15 fee on those citizens that chose to exercise their right to vote?

Your point is moot.  The "manpower" is most often performed by volunteers.  There are many cost-less ways to deal with long lines, without resorting to costly technologies (not that I wouldn't welcome these technological advances).

But you got right to your point didn't you?  This post has nothing to do with voting issues, rather just another backdoor, apples to oranges comparison of your paranoia about having your guns taken away.  Boring, redundant, tired, etc.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 8
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:48 pm)

Google "poll tax"

Beyond that Why do you think there were Long lines last election?

The 2008 election didn't have the problems that last election had concerning long lines

Why do you think that is?

HINT: Look at Florida for example

Why did Florida have lone lines?

Was it manufactured?

If so by who and for what purpose?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 9
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF, you're shooting fish in a barrel.

MIO is grasping at straws trying desperately to shoot down gun control on constitutional grounds, but he may as well be standing at ground zero in Chelyabinsk.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Feb. 15 2013, 2:29 pm)
HSF, you're shooting fish in a barrel.

MIO is grasping at straws trying desperately to shoot down gun control on constitutional grounds, but he may as well be standing at ground zero in Chelyabinsk.

Well I need the fish in order to properly beat the dead horse before sending it off to Great Britain for their "cuisine"...
 Post Number: 11
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, don't dis the Brits -- I hear King Arthur was able to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring!

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I’m genuinely curious to know how individuals can justify a “fee” to exercise their right to bear arms, but oppose a “fee” to exercise other rights.
 Post Number: 13
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As facetious as the OP was, I am suggesting we go to voting by mail for the entire US.  No lines, no scandals, no need for massive polling places, all we need to do is insure everyone gets their ballot in the mail by the Friday before the actual Tuesday vote. Even drop boxes on Tuesday for those who forgot.  The volunteers can drive folks to the drop boxes.  The postage can be free, so there is no poll tax involved.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 3:03 pm)
I’m genuinely curious to know how individuals can justify a “fee” to exercise their right to bear arms, but oppose a “fee” to exercise other rights.

So surely this has been litigated by the NRA etc.? What were the court's foundation for ruling DROS's fee acceptable (since they still exist I'm assuming the ruling was favorable to the fee). Or heck the even older tax on machine guns.... that's survived from the 30's.

Off the top of my head? Engaging in a commercial transaction isn't quite aligned with voting, an action that is decidedly NOT "commercial".

But which "fees" are you specifically looking at?
 Post Number: 15
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 6:03 pm)

You are part of a well regulated militia are you Mark?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I’m in the rights militia.

I had no idea about the DROS, I was talking about the proposed fees in Colorado.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakin....kground

It is almost surreal to me, forced to pay a “fee” to exercises a right. I can fathom the idea that some people want to do away with all private ownership of firearms (I think they are 100%). But, as someone that cherishes freedom, all freedoms, I cannot understand how anyone can justify charging a “fee” to exercise a right.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:49 pm)
I’m in the rights militia.

I had no idea about the DROS, I was talking about the proposed fees in Colorado.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakin....kground

It is almost surreal to me, forced to pay a “fee” to exercises a right. I can fathom the idea that some people want to do away with all private ownership of firearms (I think they are 100%). But, as someone that cherishes freedom, all freedoms, I cannot understand how anyone can justify charging a “fee” to exercise a right.

It's the consequence of the "pay your own way" approach to government, ironically quite often favored by conservatives, as I see it. As in the postulate: "Why should people who are not purchasing a firearm subsidize the people who do require a background check?"

The processing of the background checks costs the state a significant amount of money: it's either going to come from the people enjoying the service or the general taxpayer. No free rides, as the sentiment goes.

Free speech is a right: I don't get my book published by the government on the taxpayers dime evenso.

That said I happen to be against that nickel and dime to death approach: like with National Parks and highways, the background check is for the "common good" of preventing some people from purchasing a potentially lethal weapon and so seems like to be best funded out of the general fund, like firefighting and police services. But that's not the direction things are heading: rather; use it: pay for it.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, maybe I’m just overreacting out of ignorance. What other right requires a fee?
 Post Number: 19
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 8:51 pm)
OK, maybe I’m just overreacting out of ignorance. What other right requires a fee?

Well life....now that usually involves some fee in some way or another.

Liberty ... Doesn't come free. You may have to pay for it with your life.
 Post Number: 20
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The problems in the Florida election last November was to a large extent manufactured by our Florida legislature and governor.  The number of early voting days was reduced from 2008 and voting the Sunday before the election was eliminated.  When ask to add more early voting days after problems were coming to light the governor refused.  When the same situation arose under Governor Charlie Crisp he added more early voting days which got him in trouble with the Republican Party.  Some blame Governor Crisp for the Obama win in Florida.  

Some counties made absentee ballots easy to obtain and many voters picked them up and handed the ballot in immediately.  This helped but obvious not enough.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 21
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 15 2013, 5:07 pm)
...first Tuesday in November. Choose wisely.  :cool:

I believe that is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.  :;):
 Post Number: 22
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 15 2013, 5:03 pm)

Tennessee has a $10 Background Check fee - and has had that fee for some time. I had heard at one time that the true cost for a background check was actually closer to $50. IF that is true, then Tennessee taxpayers are still subsidizing gun purchasers.
 Post Number: 23
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Feb. 15 2013, 9:15 pm)
The problems in the Florida election last November was to a large extent manufactured by our Florida legislature and governor.  The number of early voting days was reduced from 2008 and voting the Sunday before the election was eliminated.  When ask to add more early voting days after problems were coming to light the governor refused.  When the same situation arose under Governor Charlie Crisp he added more early voting days which got him in trouble with the Republican Party.  Some blame Governor Crisp for the Obama win in Florida.  

Some counties made absentee ballots easy to obtain and many voters picked them up and handed the ballot in immediately.  This helped but obvious not enough.

Yea, for a political party that brags about its ubber defense for the rights under the constitution, they try the hardest to limit peoples rights to that same constitution.

Why is that?

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 24
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When ballots prove to be a significant risk to public safety we might have a discussion Mark. You think the proliferation of firearms isn't a huge cost to the public? If so think again, this time critically.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All freedoms when abused are a threat to public safety. The atrocities committed by governments mandated by voters have without question been a far greater threat to public safety throughout history than private gun ownership. Once you are able to think critically about the balance between individual freedom and the public good, without personal prejudice, and not simply blinded by emotion, then maybe we can have a discussion.

I still have not been able to find another right that requires a fee.
 Post Number: 26
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 16 2013, 11:00 am)
Once you are able to think critically about the balance between individual freedom and the public good, without personal prejudice, and not simply blinded by emotion, then maybe we can have a discussion.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Feb. 15 2013, 9:03 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 15 2013, 5:07 pm)
...first Tuesday in November. Choose wisely.  :cool:

I believe that is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.  :;):

#Humbled.

ETA: Huh, only set by Congress in 1845
http://memory.loc.gov/ll/llsl/005/0700/07590721.tif
 Post Number: 28
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The problem with charging the fee is that it allows the state to continue wasting money on the current system, which sucks....and is far from instant rather than coming up with a better way to do it

Colorado chooses to spend the money rather than simply allow FFL's to use the NICS system

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Feb. 16 2013, 1:32 pm)
The problem with charging the fee is that it allows the state to continue wasting money on the current system, which sucks....and is far from instant rather than coming up with a better way to do it

Colorado chooses to spend the money rather than simply allow FFL's to use the NICS system

If the system is inefficient the overt fee is actually a good idea to an extent. People tend to care more for things they directly pay for than things that are "magically" supported from the much vaguer general fund.
 Post Number: 30
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps standing in a long line will help people remember that they voted

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp....aks-out

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
31 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 4:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Long lines to vote?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions