2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Washington Post was good today, Congress traveling on foreign money< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 8:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politic....0000205

Why the big news organizations still serve a public good.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope they slam that loophole shut.  Some of those aides may find it harder than expected to get certain jobs in the future.  Unfortunately, those who are aiming for Congress themselves will find the bar still set pretty low.
 Post Number: 3
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Disgusting.  Get a rope.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 17 2013, 7:18 pm)
I hope they slam that loophole shut.

Count our lucky stars that we are the most powerful nation on Earth -- and our national and foreign policies have far-reaching consequences all around the globe -- both intended and unintended.

Countries the world over regularly sponsor trips for congressional staffers -- or better yet, the congress men and women themselves!  Yes, these trips are designed to showcase the local side of the story -- which won't be unbiased.  And there will be entertainment thrown in as well.  But for the most part -- I'd rather Congress craft laws and regulations after gaining at least some first hand exposure  -- see and hear the other side of the story -- versus none at all.

In the ideal world, we would want to design and fund these "fact-finding" missions ourselves -- but seriously, how many here would vote tax dollars to pay for trips to Senegal or Bangladesh or any of the other 194 countries?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 18 2013, 4:08 pm)

(big_load @ Feb. 17 2013, 7:18 pm)
I hope they slam that loophole shut.

Count our lucky stars that we are the most powerful nation on Earth -- and our national and foreign policies have far-reaching consequences all around the globe -- both intended and unintended.

Countries the world over regularly sponsor trips for congressional staffers -- or better yet, the congress men and women themselves!  Yes, these trips are designed to showcase the local side of the story -- which won't be unbiased.  And there will be entertainment thrown in as well.  But for the most part -- I'd rather Congress craft laws and regulations after gaining at least some first hand exposure  -- see and hear the other side of the story -- versus none at all.

In the ideal world, we would want to design and fund these "fact-finding" missions ourselves -- but seriously, how many here would vote tax dollars to pay for trips to Senegal or Bangladesh or any of the other 194 countries?

I would much rather have our government paying for it than another.  

Answering "Yes" to "Have you ever accepted money from a foreign government?" is going to bring a quick end to some job interviews.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 18 2013, 1:30 pm)
I would much rather have our government paying for it than another.  

Answering "Yes" to "Have you ever accepted money from a foreign government?" is going to bring a quick end to some job interviews.

As mentioned above, I too would prefer that we pay for our own "fact finding" trips.  But that's looking at it solely from our own point of view.  Turn the table around.  If you were a small or even middle size country -- and the 800-lb gorilla that is the US is constantly coming out with laws that affect your economy, your trade, etc. -- would you wait around for Congress to find money to come to you -- say in 20 years or perhaps never -- or would you rather be more proactive -- and either engage lobbyists in Washington -- or invite congress to come visit -- or both?

BTW, our own government and our own industries and companies also lobby / interact with governments around the world -- to influence them to crafting laws more to our advantage (or at least less to our disadvantage).  Goes both ways, every day.

The kind of jobs that former congressional staffers might be interested in...  having ready relationships with foreign officials may be seen as a very big plus, actually!  Accepting money is one thing.  Having gone on trips is quite another.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 18 2013, 4:39 pm)
The kind of jobs that former congressional staffers might be interested in...  having ready relationships with foreign officials may be seen as a very big plus, actually!  Accepting money is one thing.  Having gone on trips is quite another.

Having gone on trips that were paid for by foreign governments is accepting money.  You may feel the distinction is important, but the people who ask the questions do not.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 18 2013, 1:47 pm)

Having gone on trips that were paid for by foreign governments is accepting money.  You may feel the distinction is important, but the people who ask the questions do not.

And then there's the blatant overbalance towards recreational activities versus sitting in rooms studying spreadsheets or touring factories and mines.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And who are those people?  If enough of them view the way you do, then congressional staff won't embark on those trips. Thus far, I doubt it's even a problem.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 18 2013, 1:52 pm)

And then there's the blatant overbalance towards recreational activities versus sitting in rooms studying spreadsheets or touring factories and mines.

Money is tight everywhere.  I'm sure the host governments would rather not spend the money on rec's if they didn't feel like they have to.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 11
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So much for the plan to get lobbyists out of govt

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 18 2013, 2:00 pm)

Money is tight everywhere.  I'm sure the host governments would rather not spend the money on rec's if they didn't feel like they have to.   :;):

Yes but with the truth of "he who pays the piper calls the tune" I'm not at all comfortable with foreign governments with their own agendas not at all concerned with our national well being (and they shouldn't be of course) calling the tunes within our national legislature.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Feb. 18 2013, 2:01 pm)
So much for the plan to get lobbyists out of govt

The right of the people to petition the government is a good one. IMHO. That's what lobbyists do when they represent American citizens. Foreign governments I'm far less comfortable with.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 18 2013, 3:32 pm)

(Ben2World @ Feb. 18 2013, 2:00 pm)

Yes but with the truth of "he who pays the piper calls the tune" I'm not at all comfortable with foreign governments with their own agendas not at all concerned with our national well being (and they shouldn't be of course) calling the tunes within our national legislature.

I am not comfortable with it either.  But I think any kind of banning solution will be far worse.   Our staffers will just be that much more ignorant about things outside our borders...

And of course, we know we will never pay good money to hear what foreigners think about our laws.

--------------
13 replies since Feb. 17 2013, 8:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Washington Post was good today
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions