2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Chinese Army Unit Is Seen as Tied to Hacking, Against U.S.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Story

Not sure why it is reported in tech Technology section.

And it is apparently based on "confirmed by American intelligence officials" & "An unusually detailed 60-page study, to be released Tuesday by Mandiant, an American computer security firm, tracks for the first time individual members of the most sophisticated of the Chinese hacking groups — known to many of its victims in the United States as “Comment Crew” or “Shanghai Group” — to the doorstep of the military unit’s headquarters."  could be a plant of our government? to get funding for cyber warfare?

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Methinks spying and probing and all that go on all the time.  The selective  disclosure would make one think about budgets and funding...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And Mandiant isn't being "selective" just bragging on their recent job for the New York Times on the Princelings* hacking job.

"Our analysis has led us to conclude that APT1 is likely government-sponsored and one of the most persistent of China's cyber threat actors. The scale and impact of APT1's operations compelled us to write this report. In an attempt to bolster defenses against APT1 operations Mandiant is also releasing more than 3,000 indicators as part of the appendix to this report, which can be used with our free tools and our commercial products to search for signs of APT attack activity.

Highlights of the report include:

APT1 is believed to be the 2nd Bureau of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) General Staff Department’s (GSD) 3rd Department, which is most commonly known by its Military Unit Cover Designator (MUCD) as Unit 61398.
APT1 has systematically stolen hundreds of terabytes of data from at least 141 organizations.
APT1 focuses on compromising organizations across a broad range of industries in English-speaking countries.
APT1 maintains an extensive infrastructure of computer systems around the world.
In over 97% of the 1,905 times Mandiant observed APT1 intruders connecting to their attack infrastructure, APT1 used IP addresses registered in Shanghai and systems set to use the Simplified Chinese language.
The size of APT1’s infrastructure implies a large organization with at least dozens, but potentially hundreds of human operators.
In an effort to underscore that there are actual individuals behind the keyboard, Mandiant is revealing three personas that are associated with APT1 activity.
Mandiant is releasing more than 3,000 indicators to bolster defenses against APT1 operations."

* Their Polk Award winning series noted here:
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2302002
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Charlie Rose interviewed the NYTimes journalist who wrote this story.

One point he made is while the US is doing this for National Security, China is doing it to steal corporate secrets etc.

Not sure if it will repeat on be online.

It continues with interviews with those in Bloomberg on the same subject.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 20 2013, 1:43 pm)
One point he made is while the US is doing this for National Security, China is doing it to steal corporate secrets etc.

I gagged when I heard that on PBS yesterday!

US defines national security to mean anything and everything happening anywhere in the world and in space -- and then uses the term to justify whatever it wishes to justify.  Devious.  Arrogant.

The stealing/copying of intellectual properties in China is so open and rampant they need no further explanation.  I look forward to the day when Chinese firms have finally advanced enough to accumulate precious intellectual properties of their own -- and to lose them all to future thieves from Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.  That will be poetic justice.

Having visited more than a few countries... it is quite revealing just how much these two world giants have in common:

o  Americans and Chinese are the two most openly nationalistic of peoples I have encountered anywhere to date.

o  They are also among the most fearful of peoples -- two powerful societies where people live in angst, stress and fear.  The governments and media of both regularly rationalize their own aggression by portraying themselves as victims . And both societies rank low in pretty much all "happiness" or "satisfaction" polls and indexes.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It does seem like this is a prelude for Obama's meeting with the Chinese over this.

Apparently the US sees this as a "big" issue, but has a kettle pot issue, with what it did in Iraq.  

From the NYTimes:

The United States finds itself in something of an asymmetrical digital war with China. “In the cold war, we were focused every day on the nuclear command centers around Moscow,” one senior defense official said recently. “Today, it’s fair to say that we worry as much about the computer servers in Shanghai.”

Allot the points made on the show are in the NYTimes article, I just did not read it that closely and it is quite long.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So that's who has been trying to break into my computer all week.
 Post Number: 8
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 18 2013, 11:16 pm)
Story

Not sure why it is reported in tech Technology section.

And it is apparently based on "confirmed by American intelligence officials" & "An unusually detailed 60-page study, to be released Tuesday by Mandiant, an American computer security firm, tracks for the first time individual members of the most sophisticated of the Chinese hacking groups — known to many of its victims in the United States as “Comment Crew” or “Shanghai Group” — to the doorstep of the military unit’s headquarters."  could be a plant of our government? to get funding for cyber warfare?

WAKE UP!  Have you been paying attention during the last couple of decades?  Go ahead, squirm back into your anti-American hole and convince yourself that Chinese hacking is really U.S. hacking.  You sir, are an idiot!  

BTW, I have plenty of concerns about our government's abilty to spy on us, but I also have the ability to separate that from Chinese hacking.  You don't.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 9
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If Chinese crabs start eating my iTunes files, I say we should nuke em ;-)

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
8 replies since Feb. 18 2013, 11:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Chinese Army Unit Is Seen as Tied to Hacking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions