2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anti-violence measures, What rights are you willing to protect?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 7:39 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The founding fathers could not have possibly envisioned the current technology or media available. Who needs to watch ultra violent images on a 50” HD TV? These dangerous tools are capable of displaying highly realistic violent images 24 house a day. Exposure to these violent images has been linked to acts of violence. We need to establish some common sense regulations to protect our children from this epidemic of violence.

Obviously, the Batman series and Call of Duty need to be banned. They have been directly implicated in two recent mass killings. A common sense limit on the amount of violence contained in media will help prevent further violence. A maximum of 10 acts of violence per hour of programming or game play will help minimize the devastating effect this dangerous tool has on our society. Highly realistic features such as large screens, high definition, and 3D need to be limited. A 32” screen at standard definition is sufficient for freedom of expression.

I’m a proponent of the freedom of speech and expression, and I’m not proposing the elimination of these rights. But, these rights are not absolute, you cannot yell “fire” to induce panic. Contrary to the protests of the media lobby (that are really only protecting the media industries interests), this common sense approach will protect our children, and not infringe on our rights.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great idea. I think we should ignore restrictions on real guns and focus on cartoon weapons instead. Makes perfect sense.
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many in my generation grew up to be mass murders who drop anvils from cliffs on their victims and paint fake tunnel entrances on the sides of moutains.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes! These violent images have the potential to influence acts of violence that transcend any single category of weapon. A common sense approach to limiting these violent images will reduce the potential that an individual will be influenced by these images to commit any number of atrocities (including, but not limited to those involving firearms or anvils). We need to limit the very technology that can bring these highly realistic images of violence to those that would be influenced to commit real acts of violence!

Fortunately, the technology is available to limit this violent media. Every ISP can be required to implement a violence filter maintained by the Federal Government. Likewise, all monitors (limited to 32” standard definition) will be required to contain a V-Chip that can filter dangerous images. Since certain individuals have a higher potential to be influenced, and a high volume of media consumption can be a contributing factor, a database can be established to monitor and completely restrict these individuals from viewing any dangerous level of media. A simple check of credentials prior to login would help keep this media out of the minds that could be influenced to commit acts of violence.
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Limiting violence in our entertainment seems like a good idea.  I know people who do not attend violent movies out of protest.  Might be best for our society to do the same.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Individual protest is a great way to make an economic impact! They are truly shepherds of our children!

100% of individuals that have committed violence in the past 50 years have been exposed to highly realistic acts of violence through media in full color. What more evidence is necessary?

We should strip the public employee retirement funds of all investments in those media companies, and those manufactures of monitors that are waging war on our children! The only way to make America safe for our children is to stand with a common voice against these violent images, the deadly tools they use to wage war, and in support of these common sense anti-violence measures.
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Edit:  N/m

Joke thread.  I'm being a bit slow this morning...

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forget it, GBH.  This entire thread has "satire" written all over it.  The Japanese society has some of the most violent social media, yet is one of the least violent populations.  Clearly, there is no relevance.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I’m not proposing that placing common sense limits on our violent media obsession will do everything to stop violence. But, just because we can’t do everything, doesn’t mean that we should no nothing!

In addition to the media killing machines, there very well may be a dietary component to violence. Obviously we cannot justify a ban a necessary component of life like water (can we?), but there is certainly no such restriction on unessential components like caffeine or sugar. Hopefully, the CDC will conduct research to identify the dietary components that may have an impact on violent behavior.
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The CDC already did that. What do you think the drinking water Fluoridation is for?

"Tooth decay"? Yah sure. :D

Silly person.

They just need to turn up the dosage.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that we all want to protect the children from violence. But, maybe we have been looking at this from the wrong angle?

We have only been looking at a banning the killing machines that propagate violence. What about rather than simply eliminating violent media or dietary components that can lead to violence, we introduce anti-violent media (subliminal messages) and psychoactive chemicals in the water supply? If we can create legislation to mandate a certain level of viewer ship and public water consumption, this could have a HUGE impact on the epidemic of violence ravaging our country.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Am I the only one interested in the safety of our children? Let’s get serious about anti-violence!

We need to enact additional legislation to stop this epidemic of mass killings! Even with limiting violent media, banning the media killing machines and dangerous dietary components, introducing subliminal anti-violence media and anti-violence psychoactive drugs, this will not stop all the evil doers intent on doing harm to the children.

I’m a big proponent of our history of free assembly. But, the right to free assembly is not absolute! Proof: you cannot assemble on someone else’s private property without permission. This clearly opens the door to further limits. We are not going to deny anyone the right of public assembly! But, with some common sense approaches to limiting public assembly, we can greatly reduce the ability of an individual to commit mass killings. If public gatherings were limited to say 10 individuals, it would be physically impossible to commit an act of violence on more than 10 individuals without the criminal moving locations. This would buy our new anti-violence security drones equipped with fully automatic weapons (7.62X39 armor piercing rounds…our children deserve only the best protection) valuable time to eliminate any possible threat.

Let be honest, even with the gun-nuts crazy notion about private gun ownership, they got a few things right. More security is the ultimate answer to stopping the violence. We need to amass a security force and stockpile superior firepower (help to offset losses to the gun industry). A surveillance camera grid will encompass every inch of the US. Only a criminal would want to hide their actions anyway. What evil are they planning behind those closed doors? The security force will monitor the grid 24hrs a day, and should have authority to force entry, seize any personal property we identify as dangerous to society, and eliminate any potential threat by whatever means necessary. It is for the safety of the children after all!
 Post Number: 13
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 19 2013, 11:52 am)
Forget it, GBH.  This entire thread has "satire" written all over it.  The Japanese society has some of the most violent social media, yet is one of the least violent populations.  Clearly, there is no relevance.

The OP is not exactly Voltaire.
 Post Number: 14
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think MIO has too much time on his hands

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 15
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe we should just make violence illegal???

Or stupidity....plenty of that going around from the fearful folks

http://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/2013....toy-gun

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a common misconception that penalizing individuals for their illegal actions is a deterrent to crime. Even after stern warnings and intensive counseling, many individuals have simply returned to their criminal ways. It is our view that the individual is simply a product of their environment, and we can only shepherd the children by using common sense measures to completely control the environment.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 20 2013, 12:23 am)
I think MIO has too much time on his hands

Ok, I see where you are going with this, and I have to agree 100%!

Idle hands are indeed devil’s workshop, and it is a potential threat to the children. If we just implement some common sense measures to keep the citizens busy, this should reduce the threat of violence. Who really needs all that free time? What are they planning? With the psychoactive chemicals in the water supply, each citizen will enjoy an uninterrupted 12 hours of sleep. That leaves 12 hours that could potentially be a threat to society. Fortunately, maintaining the new security measures will provide an excellent source of national labor, and we can mandate each citizen be required to work 10 hours each day. It is only common sense that the citizens would want to help keep our society safe. That leaves 2 full hours for meals, personal hygiene, limited mating (upon approval and anti-violence DNA screening), and of course “free” time (don’t worry, it will be 100% supervised).
16 replies since Feb. 19 2013, 7:39 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anti-violence measures
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions