2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sometimes even liberals, Tell the truth< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 9:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amitai-....36.html

I commend this guy for at least being honest if not a big defender of the rights of the people

"A true liberal position, the place to start, is to call for domestic disarmament. That is the banning of the sale of all guns to private parties coupled with a buyback of those on the street (Mexico just moved to so control guns). Collectors can keep their guns as long as they remove the firing pin or fill the barrel with cement. Gun sports can be allowed -- in closed shooting ranges. And hunters can be allowed to have long guns (if they pass background checks) with no scopes, which are not sporting. But, these exceptions aside, liberals should call for a gun-free nation and point out the much lower murder rates and fewer deaths due to accidental discharge of fire arms found in those civilized nations where most guns have been removed from private hands -- and often even from those of the police"

even intellectually honest...which is refreshing

"I hate to tell you that the conservatives are right when they argue that banning big magazines and assault rifles -- the current "liberal" opening gambits -- will make very little difference. It takes only a second or so to replace an empty magazine with a loaded one, and there are so many assault rifles out there that it would take at least a generation (assuming no new ones were sold nor imported nor smuggled in nor stolen from military bases) before these guns would become significantly less available than they are at present"

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good article!

He points out the obvious - that domestic disarmament, a gun free America, is the goal.

Banning only certain types of guns ( say sniper rifles ) then banning another type ( say shotguns ) will get you there - but only after a long ordeal. As you point out, gun control supporters are NOT being honest. NO ONE will REALLY be satisfied until all guns are banned, including those carried by beat police.  

I also agree with his point about large capacity magazines. And I find it amazing that so many people who think that they know a lot about guns support such a waste of time legislation.

And that is a big part of the problem - so many people think that they know ALL about guns, but are really ignorant! I heard a politician on TV  stating that, ".223 caliber assault rifles are useless for hunting because the powerful assault rifle destroys all the meat". And this guy has a lot of people believing him!

BillBab and I may be on opposite sides of the gun "control" issue - but we both get right to the point. The REAL goal of gun "control" means a gun free America, like London. And as BillBab admits, the goal of the current proposals is to make purchasing a gun more expensive and more of a hassle - to throw insurances, taxes, license fees, registration fees, and proving "fitness to be a gunowner" into the path of a gunowner. On other words, to make owning a gun onerous and discourage people from owning a gun.

I say as BillBab does, be honest and just get to the point and ban the guns already!
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Topic: Sometimes even liberals, Tell the truth"

And on even fewer occasions, a conservative will speak honestly:

"As a conservative who had a 100 percent rating with the National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America over my four terms in Congress, I wonder why some on the right can't defend the Second Amendment without acting like jackasses,"

- 4 term Republican Congressman, Joe Scarborough
 Post Number: 4
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sincerely doubt that Bill understands what anyone else is actually thinking. He is certainly clueless about what I have stated quite plainly along with many others that have called for common sense measures. Perhaps you should stick to what you think since you have no skill for reading minds.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BillBab:  It would appear to me that the only time you think some one is telling the truth is when they agree with you.  How open minded of you.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, most liberals do allow for dissention in the ranks so I'm not totally surprised by the Huffinton Post article in the OP's post.  And BTW, I'm a liberal as are most of my friends, but not all of them by any strentch.  I don't know of single one of them who wants to ban all guns from being in the hands of law abiding citizens.  Some of you gun advocates are just absolutely paranoid.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Feb. 25 2013, 9:34 am)
Good article!

He points out the obvious - that domestic disarmament, a gun free America, is the goal.

Banning only certain types of guns ( say sniper rifles ) then banning another type ( say shotguns ) will get you there - but only after a long ordeal. As you point out, gun control supporters are NOT being honest. NO ONE will REALLY be satisfied until all guns are banned, including those carried by beat police.  

I also agree with his point about large capacity magazines. And I find it amazing that so many people who think that they know a lot about guns support such a waste of time legislation.

And that is a big part of the problem - so many people think that they know ALL about guns, but are really ignorant! I heard a politician on TV  stating that, ".223 caliber assault rifles are useless for hunting because the powerful assault rifle destroys all the meat". And this guy has a lot of people believing him!

BillBab and I may be on opposite sides of the gun "control" issue - but we both get right to the point. The REAL goal of gun "control" means a gun free America, like London. And as BillBab admits, the goal of the current proposals is to make purchasing a gun more expensive and more of a hassle - to throw insurances, taxes, license fees, registration fees, and proving "fitness to be a gunowner" into the path of a gunowner. On other words, to make owning a gun onerous and discourage people from owning a gun.

I say as BillBab does, be honest and just get to the point and ban the guns already!

So do you have a specific wording for the purposed amendment to the Constitution repealing the Second? A list of Congressional members who've signed on as sponsors?
 Post Number: 8
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

High_Sierra_Fan
So do you have a specific wording for the purposed amendment to the Constitution repealing the Second? A list of Congressional members who've signed on as sponsors?

There is no need to repeal the Second. Just handle the Second like we handle the Fourth - undermine it. "Stop and frisk and steal" is a clear violation of the Fourth - yet courts continue to uphold this practice in city after city. They simply ignore the Fourth.

The same can be done for the Second. In fact, the city of Chicago has come up with a lot of ways to undermine the Second - so that legally owning a gun in Chicago is pretty much impossible. Washington, DC has done a pretty good job of undermining the Second with their $125.00 background check fee imposed on the gun purchaser too.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Feb. 25 2013, 1:55 pm)
High_Sierra_Fan

There is no need to repeal the Second. Just handle the Second like we handle the Fourth - undermine it. "Stop and frisk and steal" is a clear violation of the Fourth - yet courts continue to uphold this practice in city after city. They simply ignore the Fourth.

The same can be done for the Second. In fact, the city of Chicago has come up with a lot of ways to undermine the Second - so that legally owning a gun in Chicago is pretty much impossible. Washington, DC has done a pretty good job of undermining the Second with their $125.00 background check fee imposed on the gun purchaser too.

Yet you cry out " just get to the point and ban the guns already!"

So which is it?
8 replies since Feb. 24 2013, 9:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sometimes even liberals
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions