2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stop the killer robots!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 11:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Robot warfare and autonomous weapons, the next step from unmanned drones, are already being worked on by scientists and will be available within the decade, said Dr Noel Sharkey, a leading robotics and artificial intelligence expert and professor at Sheffield University. He believes that development of the weapons is taking place in an effectively unregulated environment, with little attention being paid to moral implications and international law.

http://mobile.rawstory.com/theraws....0439615

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should we just go back to throwing stones at our enemies?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about defusing enemies with kindness. I'm no Christian but I don't believe Jesus through any stones. And followers of Jesus, which 80% of Americans profess to be, ought not be continually devising ever increasing efficient killing machines. It's a huge contradiction.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 24 2013, 9:11 am)
How about defusing enemies with kindness. I'm no Christian but I don't believe Jesus through any stones. And followers of Jesus, which 80% of Americans profess to be, ought not be continually devising ever increasing efficient killing machines. It's a huge contradiction.

I'm in favor of kindness.  I don't think kindness alone will make a good national defense strategy though.

And Christians in the name of the Christian religion have a pretty bloody history.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most all the wars the US has engaged in have been instigated by the few while their necessity has been sold to the masses through propaganda, patriotism, fear, etc. We really do have fewer enemies than those who have much to gain through warfare would have us to believe. And those we do have, have been largely created. The never ending quest and obsession for more and more efficient killing machines here in the US is really pathetic coming out of a overwhelmingly hypocritical Christian nation. And it's very odd to me that the biggest supporters of gun control tend to be the biggest supporters of US military might!!!!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are not a "Christian nation".
We are a nation comprised of those from many different religions and those with no religion at all.
 Post Number: 7
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Feb. 24 2013, 11:01 am)
Should we just go back to throwing stones at our enemies?

I. Robot.........could happen.

LoLz

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 24 2013, 12:36 pm)
Most all the wars the US has engaged in have been instigated by the few while their necessity has been sold to the masses through propaganda, patriotism, fear, etc. We really do have fewer enemies than those who have much to gain through warfare would have us to believe. And those we do have, have been largely created. The never ending quest and obsession for more and more efficient killing machines here in the US is really pathetic coming out of a overwhelmingly hypocritical Christian nation. And it's very odd to me that the biggest supporters of gun control tend to be the biggest supporters of US military might!!!!!!

Was the last sentence sarcasm? I sure haven't heard of the NRA or any other organization or "conservative" individual suggest defense cuts.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 24 2013, 1:49 pm)

(Montecresto @ Feb. 24 2013, 12:36 pm)

Was the last sentence sarcasm? I sure haven't heard of the NRA or any other organization or "conservative" individual suggest defense cuts.

Of course it wasn't sarcastic, you didn't read it correctly. The NRA isn't a supporter of gun controls.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Feb. 24 2013, 1:10 pm)
We are not a "Christian nation".
We are a nation comprised of those from many different religions and those with no religion at all.

80% of Americans profess to be Christian. We're not a Muslim nation. Our cities and towns are full of church steeples. But the US promotes Jesus on the one hand but peddles Hollywood smut (banned in most Muslim countries) drugs, a culture of violence and a terrible war mongering track record. A covert agency that has toppled many a elected governments around the world installing dictatorships at the cost of much human suffering. No legitimacy, hypocritical, but wrapped in the flag and carrying the bible, nice.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 24 2013, 1:20 pm)
But the US promotes Jesus on the one hand

How is the "US", (our country/government) promoting Jesus?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The government doesn't promote Jesus, or Hollywood. Americans do that.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SkyNet is upon us.

Looks kinda like Jesus.  I mean, y'know, if you add a beard and all.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

High functioning robots should all have Positronic Brains that follow the Three Laws of Robotics, but then they couldn't be used as killing machines so I guess they wouldn't have much value.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 15
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which of our enemies wouldn't use drones if they had them? Just askin'?

I personally think that the war in Iraq could have been avoided entirely and the one in Afghanistan conducted more effectively from the get go.

As far as Yemen and North Africa, things are as bad as they are, because no one intervened at a time when it might have been easier to solve with less violence. The "Proxy Wars" of the "Cold War" era have sown the seeds of much misery.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So rather then "efficient" killing machines one would vote for inefficient ones such as massive strategic carpet bombing, massed artillery, nuclear bombing of entire cities, massed land invasions etc?

I'll take: "How to achieve lower innocent civilian body counts", Alex.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 25 2013, 12:17 pm)

DING DING DING!

The DAILY DOUBLE!
 Post Number: 18
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Monte - If you're upset now, just wait 'til everything goes nano...

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 25 2013, 10:27 am)
SkyNet is upon us.

Looks kinda like Jesus.  I mean, y'know, if you add a beard and all.

And Jesus was the first to say "I'll be back..."

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 25 2013, 5:30 pm)

Gawd, I don't even want to know.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 25 2013, 3:17 pm)
So rather then "efficient" killing machines one would vote for inefficient ones such as massive strategic carpet bombing, massed artillery, nuclear bombing of entire cities, massed land invasions etc?

Right, because avoiding unnecessary wars to begin with wouldn't be an option.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 25 2013, 8:27 am)
SkyNet is upon us.

Well, maybe Skynet will spare my online finances because I just linked my iPhone to my Starbucks account..  

I mean battling murderous titanium terminator units before a morning latte?  I don't think so...

As to ending the human race in a thermonuclear exchange punctuated by automated robot killing machines.  Yeah that's probably our fate as Japanese scientists figured a way to make meatlike products out of sewage bacteria a few years back, ... so mass starvation is out.  Don't forget to store some A-1 all you youngsters!!!

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 25 2013, 4:39 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 25 2013, 3:17 pm)

Right, because avoiding unnecessary wars to begin with wouldn't be an option.

That's a simplistic false  choice.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And that is your opinion. An opinion shared by too many unfortunately and responsible for continued wars of choice that profit and sustain the MIC. But god bless go forward HSF.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No it's an observable fact.  You threw in pacifism because the weapons discussion hadn't gone as you liked. More effective weapons don't  eliminate alternatives and I certainly did not suggest in any way that they would. Simply that they offer a preferred alternative to other weapons or tactics that have historically resulted in many civilian casualties. The simple gravity bomb of WW2 and Vietnam with its huge inaccuracy versus the controllable gravity bomb or cruise missile as a case in point.

Sure, give peace a chance. But when that stops working it's wonderful when plan B kills as few unrelated to the issue as possible. I wonder how different the world would be today had armed drone technology been just 2 decades earlier in development? No Afghanistan invasion, perhaps removing the Bush excuses for Itaq....
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I didn't throw in "pacifism". That's what hawks and warmongers and the rest that support American aggression call adult diplomacy. Otherwise there are many constitutional lawyers and international lawyers, human rights groups, civil liberties unions, governments, millions of individuals who disagree with you. Your flippant dismissal of the peace process unfortunately is shared by too many. That's why peace isn't given a chance.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 25 2013, 7:38 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 25 2013, 5:30 pm)

Gawd, I don't even want to know.

You asked for it :p :

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/insectdrone.asp

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something that size shouldn't be hard to take out with a good EMP. Something you could do with a 9 volt battery.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
27 replies since Feb. 24 2013, 11:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stop the killer robots!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions