2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: OOOklahoma!, Where People Ran With Dinos< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 3:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Insist That People Coexisted With Dinosaurs…and Get an A in Science Class!
—By Dana Liebelson

| Tue Feb. 19, 2013 3:02 AM PST

A T-Rex, Oklahoma, and the unfortunate fate of Charles Darwin. Todd Shoemake/ShutterStock and WikiMedia Commons
UPDATE: On February 19, HB1674 passed through the Oklahoma Common Education committee on a 9-8 vote.

In biology class, public school students can't generally argue that dinosaurs and people ran around Earth at the same time, at least not without risking a big fat F. But that could soon change for kids in Oklahoma: On Tuesday, the Oklahoma Common Education committee is expected to consider a House bill that would forbid teachers from penalizing students who turn in papers attempting to debunk almost universally accepted scientific theories such as biological evolution and anthropogenic (human-driven) climate change.

Gus Blackwell, the Republican state representative who introduced the bill, insists that his legislation has nothing to do with religion; it simply encourages scientific exploration. "I proposed this bill because there are teachers and students who may be afraid of going against what they see in their textbooks," says Blackwell, who previously spent 20 years working for the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma. "A student has the freedom to write a paper that points out that highly complex life may not be explained by chance mutations."

These bills are "a kind of code for people who are opposed to teaching climate change and evolution."
Stated another way, students could make untestable, faith-based claims in science classes without fear of receiving a poor mark.

HB 1674 is the latest in an ongoing series of "academic freedom" bills aimed at watering down the teaching of science on highly charged topics. Instead of requiring that teachers and textbooks include creationism—see the bill proposed by Missouri state Rep. Rick Brattin—HB 1674's crafters say it merely encourages teachers and students to question, as the bill puts it, the "scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses" of topics that "cause controversy," including "biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning."

Advertise on MotherJones.com

Eric Meikle, education project director at the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) in Oakland, California, says Oklahoma has proposed more anti-evolution legislation than any other state, introducing eight bills with academic freedom language since 2004. (None has passed.) "The problem with these bills is that they're so open-ended; it's a kind of code for people who are opposed to teaching climate change and evolution," Meikle says.

HB 1674 goes further than a companion bill under consideration in the state Senate by explicitly protecting students, teachers, and schools from being penalized for subscribing to alternative theories. It does, however, say that children may still be tested on widely accepted theories such as anthropogenic climate change. "Students can't say because I don't believe in this, I don't want to learn it," Blackwell says. "They have to learn it in order to look at the weaknesses."

"An extremely high percentage of scientists will tell you that evolution doesn't have scientific weaknesses," says the NCSE's Meikle. "If every teacher, parent, and school board can decide what to teach on their own, you're going to have chaos. You can't deluge kids with every theory that's ever been considered since the beginning of time."
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo....-change
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice. All religious fundamentalists pose a threat, not just Muslim fundies.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't see the problem with questioning established theories. If a student submits a well-written and well-researched report, he deserves a good grade. If he merely says natural selection doesn't exist because the Bible says so, he deserves an F.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gee, I wonder who are the people pushing this bill?  Atheists?  Wiccans?  Buddhists?  No, they are CHRISTIANS!!

As a Christian, I feel both embarrassed and sad.  Christianity as a religion and a philosophy (teaching a way of life) brings much good to our world.  But Christianity isn't science.  And shoehorning Christianity as the last word  in Science (and every other subject) will only discredit both the religion and its followers!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 26 2013, 12:59 pm)

I would like to say all fundamentalists (meaning extremists) pose a threat -- not just the religious ones.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:00 pm)
I don't see the problem with questioning established theories. If a student submits a well-written and well-researched report, he deserves a good grade. If he merely says natural selection doesn't exist because the Bible says so, he deserves an F.

It can't be supported by good research and good writing, it will take the bible which doesn't qualify as scientific research material.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:06 pm)

(Montecresto @ Feb. 26 2013, 12:59 pm)

I would like to say all fundamentalists (meaning extremists) pose a threat -- not just the religious ones.

I can go with that.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:08 pm)
It can't be supported by good research and good writing...

That's what they said about challenges to Newtonian physics.

Can you please list the scientific theories that are beyond reproach? Is it only limited to evolution and MMGW? How about general relativity? The cause of ulcers?

it will take the bible which doesn't qualify as scientific research material

Then they deserve an F, which I stated before.

It was only the author's interpretation that "Stated another way, students could make untestable, faith-based claims in science classes without fear of receiving a poor mark". Or is it wrong to question her as well?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Argue that a footprint (amongst dinosauer footprints) has human characteristics*, and do it well with anatomical references, you get an A+.

Argue the footprint must be human because the bible says humans were here, you get an F.

(* done a few years ago at Glen Rose Texas....turned out later the human-like print was a dino-print that had been "re-worked" by some folk).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 10
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where is the corresponding right to question beliefs that are entirely unsupported by evidence? You know, without someone questioning your morality or insinuating that you are being "unfair" or "rude"?

As most everyone here has observed, science does not need such protections, at least from "argument from evidence" (not "argument from belief" or "argument from authority"). As far as belief goes, you are certainly entitled to your personal beliefs, and should not be subject to discrimination for expressing them, but you should not be entitled to carte blanche to state them without challenge or to "advertise" them as truth without any support of evidence whatsoever.

Only religion requires the kind of protection that law provides against discrimination. (It goes without saying, however, that those without religion should be recognized as having the same protections, though that obvious addendum seems to have much more difficulty with general support.)

I have no problem at all with such protections of belief, but once those beliefs travel out into the public (ETA: meaning: "the realm of open public discussion"), they should absolutely be "fair game".

As far as attacks on science go, I believe the one recognized recently in another thread is much more direct and effective, since it clearly states the objective of all of these laws, however poorly conceived: kill "critical thinking" and knowledge based on evidence and proof, because that is a threat to "belief" - even though our Constitution has clear protections for belief, however unevenly observed by most.
Krugman notes that Texas GOP tried to limit teaching of critical thinking

Every student in every school grade should be given the tools of critical thinking, or, as Carl Sagan calls them, "a baloney detection kit". Every student, and every citizen, should have the tools required to protect themselves from every sort of huckster, whether that comes from science, advertising, or "philosophy". A couple of chapters from Sagan's book "The Demon-Haunted World" would be a good starting place.
 Post Number: 11
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Feb. 26 2013, 3:45 pm)
A couple of chapters from Sagan's book "The Demon-Haunted World" would be a good starting place.

Read that book about 15 years ago.  Hadn't directly remembered it from then 'till you pointed it out just now.  Yes, great book, and I do think it should be a required read.  It addresses this kind of phenomenon directly, even though it's written decades ago.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:19 pm)

(Montecresto @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:08 pm)
It can't be supported by good research and good writing...

That's what they said about challenges to Newtonian physics.

Can you please list the scientific theories that are beyond reproach? Is it only limited to evolution and MMGW? How about general relativity? The cause of ulcers?

it will take the bible which doesn't qualify as scientific research material

Then they deserve an F, which I stated before.

It was only the author's interpretation that "Stated another way, students could make untestable, faith-based claims in science classes without fear of receiving a poor mark". Or is it wrong to question her as well?

I was trying to say that humans existing along side dinasours can't be proven with "good research and good writing".

--------------
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The guy who built this:

Now lives here:

Baptist pastor Kent Hovind — Dr. Dino — sentenced to 10 years in prison
 Post Number: 14
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oklahoma, where the wind goes whistling through young minds.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 26 2013, 6:18 pm)
Oklahoma, where the wind goes whistling through young minds.

Add Texas.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 16
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Feb. 26 2013, 8:12 pm)

Didn't the State fund this reeducation park the same year they cut funding to public science classes?
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's the big deal.  Everyone knows humans and dinosaurs DID exist at the same time.  There's even photographic evidence to prove it!

Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The human in that photo is quite obviously CGI  :p

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there really any controversy? These guys have evidence!

http://www.icr.org/men-dinosaurs/

Which of you commie pinko anti-god liberals can PROVE that dinosaurs and humans did not coexist?
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 27 2013, 11:15 am)
Is there really any controversy? These guys have evidence!

http://www.icr.org/men-dinosaurs/

Which of you commie pinko anti-god liberals can PROVE that dinosaurs and humans did not coexist?

Believing in natural selection as we do: why would we want to?

:cool:
 Post Number: 21
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ref. proving men/dino's didn't co-exist.

As Medicine Man to my son's pre-school Indian Guides years ago, I introduced them to our tribe mascot, Henry the Invisible Flea.  

I poured  Henry out of his home, a band-aid can, onto a sheet of paper I held in my hand. I proclaimed that, as Medicine Man, I was able to see Henry.

By skidding my thumb underneath the sheet, I could produce clicking sounds which, I told the kids, was Henry hopping across the paper. I even had Henry do backflips.

The kids leaned forward, intensely listening and looking,  convinced that Henry did exist.....except for 1 little doubter.

He asked "How do we know he's invisible?".

I said "Look very hard"....they all leaned even closer.

"Can you see him?", I asked.

"No", they answered in chorus.

"Well, that proves he's invisible", I said.

They all, including the former doubter, nodded their heads in agreement.

The Creation Scientists have mastered the "Henry the Flea" logic.

(and, Yes, I am still a little embarassed for telling such a whopper to them).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 22
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Feb. 27 2013, 5:15 pm)
Ref. proving men/dino's didn't co-exist.

As Medicine Man to my son's pre-school Indian Guides years ago, I introduced them to our tribe mascot, Henry the Invisible Flea.  

I poured  Henry out of his home, a band-aid can, onto a sheet of paper I held in my hand. I proclaimed that, as Medicine Man, I was able to see Henry.

By skidding my thumb underneath the sheet, I could produce clicking sounds which, I told the kids, was Henry hopping across the paper. I even had Henry do backflips.

The kids leaned forward, intensely listening and looking,  convinced that Henry did exist.....except for 1 little doubter.

He asked "How do we know he's invisible?".

I said "Look very hard"....they all leaned even closer.

"Can you see him?", I asked.

"No", they answered in chorus.

"Well, that proves he's invisible", I said.

They all, including the former doubter, nodded their heads in agreement.

The Creation Scientists have mastered the "Henry the Flea" logic.

(and, Yes, I am still a little embarassed for telling such a whopper to them).

Haha - I like that little fib! Have to try it on my youngest brother one of these days (his next b'day sounds like the perfect opportunity, muahhaha!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
20 replies since Feb. 26 2013, 3:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply OOOklahoma!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions