2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: JUDGE: NY paddlers win...!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

According to the www.recordonline.com, a State Supreme Court Judge says a canoeist has the right to paddle down an Adirondack stream crossing private land, and has ordered the landowner to stop posting signs denying paddlers access to the waterway.

The State DEC sided with the canoeist in the case, stating the stream is navigable and thus paddlers had the legal right to use it. The stream is in a wilderness-canoeing area.
:D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent. I wonder if this also applies to lakes?

BTW... dead link.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Sorry about the dead link.

PERHAPS (?) this one will work...recordonline.com-Times Herald-Record-recordonline.com.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PS

Drat...that doesn't work either...!!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PPS

Actually, it CAN be found on that url...you just have to scroll down a little bit. (I'm getting a headache!).
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Click HERE.

BTW, if within 10 or so minutes after posting -- you wish to make a correction -- you can simply edit your old post rather than adding a new one.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. †-- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 26 2013, 5:04 pm)
Click HERE.

BTW, if within 10 or so minutes after posting -- you wish to make a correction -- you can simply edit your old post rather than adding a new one.

Hi...

Thanks. Been on computers for many years...yet am still quite computer illiterate...!!
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, no problem.  I don't know all that much either...   :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. †-- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page....86.html
 Post Number: 10
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll add one caveat...

In NYS, property lines extend to the midline of streets and streams. Something about the way the Dutch used to tax. Anywho, if the public is allowed on the waterway, that portion of the property should not be taxed.

Disclosure: I live on a navigable creek and I want my property taxes reduced

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 11
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 27 2013, 8:09 am)
I'll add one caveat...

In NYS, property lines extend to the midline of streets and streams. Something about the way the Dutch used to tax. Anywho, if the public is allowed on the waterway, that portion of the property should not be taxed.

Disclosure: I live on a navigable creek and I want my property taxes reduced

LOL, Water use/property laws really are that archaic, convoluted, and confusing.

As a kayaker and fisherman Iím always happy when we ďwinĒ water use battles. However, I can certainly sympathize with many of the landownerís concerns.

Iím still not sure if Iím trespassing here in my home state of Ohio (not to mention other states) when wading on a streambed that is private property. Iíve been asked to leave by landowners, and Iíve always complied. Most are just concerned about trash and vandalism, and actually apologize for asking me to not fish the stream. On other occasions, Iíve been ďaskedĒ by law enforcement and wildlife officers to not float particular areas where Iím fairly certain it is legal. Even they were not 100% clear on the laws, but always seem to default to landowner rights.
10 replies since Feb. 26 2013, 4:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply JUDGE: NY paddlers win...!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions