2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Not realizing you've won...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:37 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I present this for discussion only, but it sounds to me like he might have a point.

http://mynorthwest.com/813/2211797/Not-realizing-youve-won

It's hardly in depth, but I thought it at least amusing.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, I agree.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On its face, I think he has a point.  

However, I think the political vitriol used to rally against "Obamacare" was on a whole other level.  That, and well...the sequester hasn't gone into effect just yet, and historically congress has lessened the burden of the "mandatory cuts".

That said, any meaningful cut to the defense budget is a good thing for the long term financial status of this country, but more work needs to be done (i.e. these auto-cuts aren't bringing us back to the booming 90's).  While I'd be happy to see some cuts forced through, it's disappointing to see our elected officials punt the ball again...they're beginning to look like a small market NFL expansion team.  :;):

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The OP doesn't mention all the other cuts that worry the Democrats a lot more than cuts in defense spending.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stupidly and blindly executed cuts in defense or otherwise aren't at all what "Democrats" want.

So he's wrong. Possibly because he doesn't fully grasp the mechanism of the sequestration, this is going to happen based on a law from the 1980's that doesn't allow for judgement or budget management and priorities: just the simple math exercise of subtracting the mandatory amount across the board on a line item level that will allow for very little to zero adjustment. The trivial will get cut alongside the vital.

Nobody "wins" this except for the ones who want to gut government to the size it can be "drowned in a bathtub". And that sure ain't the members of the Democratic Party.
 Post Number: 6
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Starve the Beast" is the strategy at work here, and the only way to shrink government to that bathtub-drowning size is with huge budget deficits and manufactured crisis.

Republican strategists are smart enough to know that popular programs like Social Security & Medicare will never be dismantled as long as there are funds to keep them going. Therefore, the strategy is to make them unaffordable and the only way to do that is with fiscal shortfalls. That's a big part of what the Norquist "no tax increase" pledge is really about.

The political part of this strategy is to blame the Democrats for the deficits by characterizing the problem as "runaway spending."

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
5 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 8:37 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Not realizing you've won...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions