2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Its about the voting right act, So Scalia starts yapping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 1:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not only have Republicans politiicians within the last couple of years been proposing to due
away with the voting rights act(like in the Texas Republican party platform) but we now have
Scalia saying statements leaving no doubt where he stands on the issue as well using
inflammatory rhetoric

"Now, I don't think that's attributable to the fact that it is so much clearer now that we
need this," Scalia said of the VRA's continued reauthorization, according to the Supreme
Court transcript. "I think it is attributable, very likely attributable, to a phenomenon
that is called perpetuation of racial entitlement. It's been written about. Whenever a
society adopts racial entitlements, it is very difficult to get out of them through the
normal political processes."

http://www.businessinsider.com/scalia-....PKsoovo

http://www.economist.com/blogs....hts-act

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle....ressman

I guess the right-wing just isn't content to be right-wing, they must move it as far to the
right as they can possibly move it.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As rightly pointed out by Associate Justice Sotomayor voting is most definitely and absolutely NOT a "racial entitlement"
 Post Number: 3
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only in the way it is applied

http://pjmedia.com/jchrist....says-so

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 4
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Mar. 14 2013, 2:28 pm)
Only in the way it is applied

http://pjmedia.com/jchrist....says-so

Scraping from the dregs at the bottom of the echo chamber yet again babb?

Does the fact that most of your link come from such crap sources not occasionally give you pause for thought? Or are you genuinely that there's some sort of secret truth that you are somehow uncovering?

You're an engineer right? Do you scrape the corners of the internet for all your information to make decisions there or do you base them all on sound learning and practice?

It just strikes me as weird that you don't appear to have the ability to question validity of the crap you post? Doesn't the fact you have to constantly scrape the barrel for supporting links at least raise a few flags for you?
 Post Number: 5
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clearly, we still need the Voting Rights Act at this juncture in at least some locales (just based on events in Florida and elsewhere), though I'd agree that it would be a good thing to have a periodic study and review of some kind (comparison data on voting percentages, etc.) to, if nothing else, verify that the law is having some kind of positive effect.

Like most everything else, they could do "test cases" in randomly chosen locations - or maybe we simply give Shelby County a shot at it and see if they screw up or not. (Are there any valid complaints for the duration of the "probation period"? kind-of-deal.) I truly don't understand why we can't have at least some flexibility in these things, though I'm sure it all comes back down to lack of interest by the legislative branch, lack of time, or simply gross attempts at "political finagling" by individuals with an agenda.
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Martin Luther King, Jr.had a dream that "one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and little white girls as sisters and brothers".  Hard to picture, but that dream actually required years of courage, determination, blood, sweat and tears to achieve!

But now, it's time for America to dream bigger -- to dream the ultimate dream!  Paraphrasing Mr. King:  "I dream that one day in America, children will hold hands as brothers and sisters -- completely unaware of their skin color -- because their parents no longer look upon that silliness as an issue -- the way their grandparents did.

It may be a long road yet, but we are going to have to take the first step at some point.  Imagine an America without gerrymandering by race in any shape or form -- an America with no more 'quotas' formal or informal -- and an America where racila profiling is viewed obscene and absurd.  An America where the only thing that shows about you is your own character.

Not sure what Scalia had in mind -- pure or ulterior -- but I want to see our nation's racial wounds to finally heal and disappear -- not just band aided and picked at over and over in perpetuity.  My own hunch is that too many politicians and bureaucratic administrators wish to keep the race issue alive -- not to overcome, but to exploit!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No further comments about the so-called "racial entitlements"? Or did I inadvertently doused the partisan crossfire by viewing this as a national  issue?  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well you know it was amusing. This is what Scalia said

And this last enactment, not a single vote in the Senate against it. And the House is pretty
much the same. Now, I don’t think that’s attributable to the fact that it is so much clearer
now that we need this. I think it is attributable, very likely attributable, to a phenomenon
that is called perpetuation of racial entitlement. It’s been written about. Whenever a
society adopts racial entitlements, it is very difficult to get out of them through the
normal political processes.

"It’s been written about"

Ya but written about by who? Why Scalia himself

http://www.mediaite.com/online....nt-rant

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So you find it amusing to fan the flames of partisanship?  Because that's all you ever do here!  Wish there were more people -- like Dr. King -- who was genuinely interested in bettering our nation.  Because no progress can be achieved by solely putting down others.  Do you do anything else , Dennis?

I see your posts and those of Billbab as opposite sides of the same counterproductive coin.  Food for thought.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There we go
The classic ben
the self-righteous ben

I haven't seen this side of you for a while.

How about you Ben?

Is this the same ben that once equated Tom to Khomeini because he simply disagreed with you?
what?

Well anyway typical mischaracterization of what I said

I was obviously referring to, I mean explicitly even said it, that Scalia was referencing
himself

How could possibly conclude what I was talking about had anything to do with "So you find it amusing to fan
the flames of partisanship"

You willfully mischaracterize me

What are you contributing when you so blatantly mischaracterize me and then attack me
without provocation

Whats a matter with you?

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, we have our moments -- and I don't deny my own mishaps.

But re-read the thousands  of your own threads.   How many of them are NOT an attack or a mockery of 'the other side'? Zero or thereabouts.  And constructive criticisms?  Same answer.

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be giving this much thought -- but would feel instantly indignant.  Figures that someone who only ever attack others would be pretty grossly egoistic.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone who uses the phrase "racial entitlement" and isn't talking about white entitlement is either completely clueless or completely dishonest.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Mar. 15 2013, 11:50 am)
Anyone who uses the phrase "racial entitlement" and isn't talking about white entitlement is either completely clueless or completely dishonest.

It's why I caveated above that I do not know the intentions of Scalia.

I too would like to see the eventual dismantle of such legislation as the Voting Rights Act -- not because I disagree with the right to vote, but because I want us to get to the point where racism is finally a non issue.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 15 2013, 2:49 pm)
Yes, we have our moments -- and I don't deny my own mishaps.

But re-read the thousands  of your own threads.   How many of them are NOT an attack or a mockery of 'the other side'?  Pretty much every single one?  
Versus how many are actually constructive?  Zero or thereabouts.

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be giving this much thought -- but would feel instantly indignant.  Figures that someone who only ever attack others would be pretty grossly egoistic.

OMG

you're lecturing me about attacking people after you just attacked me without provocation?

My gaad are you thick Ben

Oh and so when you attack its "moment" but everyone else its different. Classic Ben hypocrisy

Of course what would a Ben post be without extreme hyperbolic rhetoric such as "Pretty much
every single one?   Versus how many are actually constructive?  Zero or thereabouts."

and ben, you're really going to lecture us on "giving thought"

you really do take hypocrisy to an extreme don't you?

The irony is you could decide to talk about the issue you claim to want to talk about yet you are
deciding to attack me. I'm only responding to YOUR attack YOU INITIATED

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Figures that someone who only ever attack others would be pretty grossly egoistic.  End of story.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Figures that someone who only ever attack others"

^^ classic dishonest hyperbolic statement from Ben

Oh this such BS

'I see your posts and those of Billbab as opposite sides of the same counterproductive coin"

the only thing that is opposite to Billbab and I are our political views.

Billbab routinely uses right-wing sources, While I will use left-wing sources
I will also use just as much sources like factcheck.org or politifact

The idea that Billbab puts anywhere near the level of detail or thought that I do is the
kind
superficial shallow dishonest assertion I would expect from you ben

I find amusing this whole line of attack on how I attack people when out of the blue
Ben initiates an attack on me

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 14 2013, 6:28 pm)
Martin Luther King, Jr.had a dream that "one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and little white girls as sisters and brothers".  Hard to picture, but that dream actually required years of courage, determination, blood, sweat and tears to achieve!

But now, it's time for America to dream bigger -- to dream the ultimate dream!  Paraphrasing Mr. King:  "I dream that one day in America, children will hold hands as brothers and sisters -- completely unaware of their skin color -- because their parents no longer look upon that silliness as an issue -- the way their grandparents did.

It may be a long road yet, but we are going to have to take the first step at some point.  Imagine an America without gerrymandering by race in any shape or form -- an America with no more 'quotas' formal or informal -- and an America where racila profiling is viewed obscene and absurd.  An America where the only thing that shows about you is your own character.

Not sure what Scalia had in mind -- pure or ulterior -- but I want to see our nation's racial wounds to finally heal and disappear -- not just band aided and picked at over and over in perpetuity.  My own hunch is that too many politicians and bureaucratic administrators wish to keep the race issue alive -- not to overcome, but to exploit!

^^ BTW the above is nothing but a empty mindless platitude.

It doesn't address at all Scalia's remark which is the subject of the OP but then Ben has
the gall to ask in his next post "No further comments about the so-called "racial
entitlements"? and then later on to say "Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be giving this much
thought". Well Ben you didn't add any "thought" on the subject so look in the mirror(and as
HSF said voting isn't a "racial entitlement")

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dennis the little troll is now on attack rampage  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

said the hypocrite who continues to attack while accusing me of attacking

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW if Ben thinks I'm a troll then why is Ben continuing to respond to me?

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

because now you amuse me

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

who would continue to respond to someone they believe is a troll
other than a fool?

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Mar. 15 2013, 12:28 pm)
who would continue to respond to someone they believe is a troll
other than a fool?

:O   :O   :O

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes it is amusing

Ben shifting from supposedly demanding serious discussion to what now?

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Mar. 15 2013, 12:29 pm)
Yes [I am] amusing

Ben shifting from supposedly demanding serious discussion to what now?

fixed it for you  and answering your question, it's coming down to dennis' level.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The level that compares people to khomeini simply because they disagree with them
?
No Ben that is you

The level where someone totally misrepresents what meant by " amusing"?

No that is you ben

The level that consists of mindless platitudes that doesn't address the OP?

No that is you ben

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Ben

is this you being the "christian"?

is this one of your "moments"? ben?

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Mar. 15 2013, 12:32 pm)
The level that compares people to khomeini simply because they disagree with them

You fail to see the logic there, because -- like many brainless Americans who see only black and white -- you view Khomeini as some kind of evil.

I do not.  Khomeini is a complicated person with many sides.  However, one aspect that he did share with Tom is the penchant for viewing his own beliefs as correct and thus, how everyone else's must be wrong... no if's or but's whatsoever.

BTW, God willing, I hope to travel to Iran this winter.

See how much you miss -- by being ever so partisan and simplistic?

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben2World said

You fail to see the logic there, because -- like many brainless Americans who see only black
and white -- you view Khomeini as some kind of evil.

Like most brainless comments from you, you don't know WHAT my view of Khomeini is yet in
your willfull ignorance(and arrogance) you think you do

Ben2World said

I do not.  Khomeini is a complicated person with many sides.  However, one aspect that he did share with Tom is the penchant for viewing his own beliefs as correct and thus, everyone else's must be wrong... no if's or but's whatsoever.

BTW, God willing, I hope to travel to Iran this winter.  :;):

See how much you miss -- by being so partisan and simplistic in your views of the world?

Oh the irony. Ok so lets revisit that thread in which you compared Tom to Khomeini

Here is the post in which you equated Tom to  Khomeini(post 115)

Which was in respond to Tom only saying the following in post 114

And Ben responds with yet another conclusory assertion, entirely unsupported by fact or
logic.

If that's what you think, what's your basis for thinking it?  Are you disputing any of the
specifics of my characterization of it (and if so, on what basis)? What factual support is
there for your position?  What is the logic supporting it?

You haven't offered any of these things so far.  But hey, anything is possible, so maybe
eventually you will.

Edit: Also, because this question really is at the heart of the whole discussion: what do
you think the purpose of elections is?

Tom was only trying to get yout to make a logical, thoughtful and intelligent argument for
that you equated him to Khomeini

So that how you role Ben. You typically don't add substance to your posts or certainly
not with much logical or intelligence and when someone just simply tries to get you to do
that you equate them to Khomeini

Nuff said

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

your rage and hot air are amusing, dennis -- oh the hurt in you  :D

how many more "partisan attack" threads will you be writing up this afternoon?   later.  :O

--------------
130 replies since Mar. 02 2013, 1:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Its about the voting right act
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions