2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bicycle Tax? Why not?, Bicyclers & Hikers should pay a little< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In this day and age were everyone needs to pitch in and help, these two groups have skated and utilized systems that are paid for by the public and other groups.
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute....#

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the article.
There are any number of reasons why a bike tax makes for poor public policy. For starters, the idea that bike riders don't pay for the road is rather hollow. The vast majority of riders also own cars, after all, and riding creates negligible wear and tear on the road. Bike infrastructure costs public money, especially if it's done right, but the bike tax wouldn't even pay for much of it — with the state's proposal expected to bring in only a reported $1 million over a decade.

I ride a bike and take the bus. I own two vehicles.

The fees/taxes I pay on the vehicles easily pay for my share of the bike paths/lanes. In addition to that, I pollute less, use less of a finite resource, get exercise and cause no traffic congestion. The bus is powered by natural gas and saves me 30 miles a day of driving.

Why not comp me some of the fees/taxes I pay when I drive since I'm doing a lot less of it than most folks?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:23 am)
From the article.
There are any number of reasons why a bike tax makes for poor public policy. For starters, the idea that bike riders don't pay for the road is rather hollow. The vast majority of riders also own cars, after all, and riding creates negligible wear and tear on the road. Bike infrastructure costs public money, especially if it's done right, but the bike tax wouldn't even pay for much of it — with the state's proposal expected to bring in only a reported $1 million over a decade.

The fees/taxes I pay on the vehicles easily pay for my share of the bike paths/lanes. In addition to that, I pollute less, use less of a finite resource, get exercise and cause no traffic congestion. The bus is powered by natural gas and saves me 30 miles a day of driving.

Why not comp me some of the fees/taxes I pay when I drive since I'm doing a lot less of it than most folks?

I have lived in and still own a home in upstate New York and pay $2250.00 in school taxes a year. Never had any children and never once utilized dime one of the schools or it's resources yet all my neighbors have had all of their multiple broods constantly use all these resources in the 22 years I have been paying schools taxes!!

Think I would like to be comp back some school taxes too!

Don't think that argument is gonna fly though!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a tax/fee if it were placed into a dedicated account that couldn't be raided.

Oh, and I also want credits for alleviating congestion, parking, air pollution, petroleum infrastruture, Middle East wars, etc.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:40 am)

That's fine, as long as you pay back the system for your free schooling.

Don't think of school taxes as paying for other's children, but repaying the system for your prior use of it.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:56 am)

Don't think of school taxes as paying for other's children, but repaying the system for your prior use of it.

+1

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mom and dad fully paid all my school taxes!

Back in the day (1963-1975) when teachers salaries and benefits were reasonable, no field trips to Europe, no multi million dollar hockey arenas. soccer, football, and la cross stadiums, school district managers making $250,000.00 plus salaries with golden parachute retirement package's, bus rides for children living 100 yards away from school grounds, multi million dollar libraries, and on and on and on and on and on!!!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:23 am)
Back in the day (1963-1975) when teachers salaries and benefits were reasonable...

Bwahahaha!!  Yes, let's hang those greedy, snotty teachers by their toes!!!  Flog them in a public forum.  That'll teach 'em!  

4 years of undergrad, 2 years for grad school, they educate the future leaders of this country, and babysit the rest.  They work longer hours than the 8:30 - 2:30 school day, and get berated by the same parents, who are completely inactive in their child's lives when they're given a bad grade - all for a whopping $40K/year!!!  Those charlatans!!!!  Those thiefs!!

Those...get a grip man, teacher's salaries are the least of the problems with this economy.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:33 am)

Back in the day (1963-1975) when teachers salaries and benefits were reasonable...

Bwahahaha!!  Yes, let's hang those greedy, snotty teachers by their toes!!!  Flog them in a public forum.  That'll teach 'em!  

4 years of undergrad, 2 years for grad school, they educate the future leaders of this country, and babysit the rest.  They work longer hours than the 8:30 - 2:30 school day, and get berated by the same parents, who are completely inactive in their child's lives when their given a bad grade - all for a whopping $40K/year!!!  Those charlatans!!!!  Those thiefs!!

Those...get a grip man, teacher's salaries are the least of the problems with this economy.

Might be a little off the topic?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:39 am)

4 years of undergrad, 2 years for grad school, they educate the future leaders of this country, and babysit the rest.  They work longer hours than the 8:30 - 2:30 school day, and get berated by the same parents, who are completely inactive in their child's lives when their given a bad grade - all for a whopping $40K/year!!!  Those charlatans!!!!  Those thiefs!!

Might be a little off the topic?

Um...I didn't just make up a response to a fictitious statement.  I was responding to something YOU wrote in YOUR own thread.  I'm on your topic.

*As far as the OP, taxes placed on cars to pay for roads are what are known as impact taxes.  Until, I see some evidence of the negligable impact bikes are having on our roads.  I'll pass on MORE taxes, thank you very much.  Aren't you one who usually berates liberals, and you're asking for more taxes? Nice.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:10 am)
In this day and age were everyone needs to pitch in and help, these two groups have skated and utilized systems that are paid for by the public and other groups.

In case you missed it!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:44 am)

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:10 am)

In case you missed it!

Didn't miss it.  Commented on it, just to please your trolling personality.

Truth is, you're just deflecting the fact that I poked holes in your teacher argument.

* Here it is again, in case you can't scroll upwards. As far as the OP, taxes placed on cars to pay for roads are what are known as impact taxes.  Until, I see some evidence of the negligible impact bikes are having on our roads.  I'll pass on MORE taxes, thank you very much.  Aren't you one who usually berates liberals, and you're asking for more taxes? Nice.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:45 am)

Ah, there it is, the name calling.

Thanks for showing everyone your maturity level.

I will be no longer responding to your off topic and personal attack comments.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:48 am)

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:45 am)

Ah, there it is, the name calling.

Thanks for showing everyone your maturity level.

That's a fact - you have been firing off topic after topic - most with minimal response - most of the same predictable-type topics.

You still haven't responded to either one of my points.

*By the way - I've been on here long enough to demonstrate my ability to argue soundly.  You haven't responded to anything that I've written where it contrasts your opinion.  My maturity level isn't in question.  The fact that you think teahcers are overpaid and that bicycles should be taxed, does reveal your's however.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mom and dad fully paid all my school taxes!

Back in the day (1963-1975) when teachers salaries and benefits were reasonable, no field trips to Europe, no multi million dollar hockey arenas. soccer, football, and la cross stadiums, school district managers making $250,000.00 plus salaries with golden parachute retirement package's, bus rides for children living 100 yards away from school grounds, multi million dollar libraries, and on and on and on and on and on!!!

Although I agree with your sentiment, all of the items you listed were decided directly by the voters in the school district. Damn democracy.

And the school taxes paid by your parents were subsidized by every other taxpayer in the district.

To kinda get back on topic... I don't see a lot of teachers riding their bikes to work. But lots of kids do.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:50 am)
To get back on topic... I don't see a lot of teachers riding their bikes to work. But lots of kids do.

Maybe it's a perception issue.  The teacher's don't want little Johnny to see his teacher riding a bike to work, and saying, "When I grow up the last thing I want to be is a teacher, they can't even afford a car!!"

Which is why all teachers should drive their Porsche's and Lamborghini's to work.  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 17
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 6:40 am)

From the article.

I have lived in and still own a home in upstate New York and pay $2250.00 in school taxes a year. Never had any children and never once utilized dime one of the schools or it's resources yet all my neighbors have had all of their multiple broods constantly use all these resources in the 22 years I have been paying schools taxes!!

That's the price we all pay to live in an educated society.
It's not just about you.

There are many other alternative places to live on this earth if you don't like the way it is here.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 05 2013, 11:00 am)

From the article.

It's not just about you.

There are many other alternative places to live on this earth if you don't like the way it is here.

Doesn't look like we are getting any bang for our buck;

http://rossieronline.usc.edu/u-s-edu....graphic

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 6:10 am)

Skated?
How many of those do not also own and pay taxes for automobiles?

They likely pay as much road tax as everyone else.  Hardly skating in my book.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 8:05 am)

(hbfa @ Mar. 05 2013, 11:00 am)

From the article.

It's not just about you.

Doesn't look like we are getting any bang for our buck;

http://rossieronline.usc.edu/u-s-edu....graphic

So do have a better alternative elsewhere?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 05 2013, 11:10 am)
[
Skated?

That's the price we all pay to live in a car/road dominated society.
It's not just about you.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 05 2013, 8:14 am)

(hbfa @ Mar. 05 2013, 11:10 am)
[
Skated?

That's the price we all pay to live in a car/road dominated society.
It's not just about you.

I'm not the one complaining, so why would I look elsewhere?

And as I've pointed out - the overwhelming majority of hikers and bikers already pay that price to live in a car/road society.

So what's your point?
 Post Number: 23
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:46 am)
That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a tax/fee if it were placed into a dedicated account that couldn't be raided.

+1.  If that were the case, I'd be all for it.  However, I think most goverment bodies would just dump it into the local transportation budget and build parking lots with it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 24
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't mind paying school taxes. It helps educate our society. That way they don't grow up uneducated and have small little blue guns as avatars. Is that a Papa Smurf special?
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMHO my property taxes are to provide ME with educated neighbors, doctors, auto mechanics, law enforcement, plumbers, electricians, attorneys and fellow voters.

Money well spent.

Oh and bike and hiker "pay for"? I already do.
 Post Number: 26
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

4 years of undergrad, 2 years for grad school, they educate the future leaders of this country, and babysit the rest.  They work longer hours than the 8:30 - 2:30 school day, and get berated by the same parents, who are completely inactive in their child's lives when they're given a bad grade - all for a whopping $40K/year!!!  Those charlatans!!!!  Those thiefs!!

And because they are so smart they put their kids in private schools :)

But I would point out that the average pay in chicago public schools is $76,000 ( for 9 months)

Median income in Chicago is more like $50,000 and most all those folks work 12 months to get it

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 27
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 05 2013, 11:48 am)
IMHO my property taxes are to provide ME with educated neighbors, doctors, auto mechanics, law enforcement, plumbers, electricians, attorneys and fellow voters.

Money well spent.

I don't mind paying for schools

What does bother me is constantly paying more and more for schools with diminishing returns

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 28
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, how about $1 a year per bike, and for that money bikes get priority in all planning.  Building more bike lanes, better safety measures to protect bikes from inattentive drivers, and more consideration by employers in safe storage.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Mar. 05 2013, 12:09 pm)

And because they are so smart they put their kids in private schools :)

But I would point out that the average pay in chicago public schools is $76,000 ( for 9 months)

Median income in Chicago is more like $50,000 and most all those folks work 12 months to get it

I can appreciate that Chicago teachers are paid quite a premium in comparison to the average teacher. I won't deny it.  I'm sure there's some cost of living and union inflation that got them to that level.  But Chicago is the exception, not the norm.

My brother just got his first gig out of college as a high school teacher, in a blue collar city in MA.  Starting pay is around $35K or so.  

My point is we can cherry pick salaries across all the towns/cities across the country, but the bottom-line is, in most cases teachers are anything, but overpaid.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Mar. 05 2013, 9:11 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 05 2013, 11:48 am)

Money well spent.

I don't mind paying for schools

What does bother me is constantly paying more and more for schools with diminishing returns

Yeah, that get's frustrating.
49 replies since Mar. 05 2013, 9:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bicycle Tax? Why not?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions