2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What To Do While Waiting For Police, I sure know< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 1:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would be sincerely be interested in knowing what folks would do while waiting;

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9e2_1362648345

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stupid questions get stupid answers.

I'll bet the person who made that video doesn't have a defibrillator in their house.

I'll bet they don't always have a person trained in CPR in their house with them.

What do they do while waiting for the emt's to show up?

If gunuts want to be taken seriously they have to stop promoting adolescent BS.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Mar. 07 2013, 1:30 pm)

I'll bet the person who made that video doesn't have a defibrillator in their house.

I'll bet they don't always have a person trained in CPR in their house with them.

Interesting answer!

However, I was looking for a real answer to the question, not the film makers impression to you with all due respect!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 07 2013, 10:37 am)

Interesting answer!

However, I was looking for a real answer to the question, not the film makers impression to you with all due respect!

I own firearms for home protection.  I would collect my family members in as safe a place as possible under the circumstances and prepare to defend, if necessary.  I'm not going on the offense to protect a bunch of "stuff" though.  Protecting my family is another story.  

But Nogods makes a valid comparison.

If you or a family member were having a heart attack, what would you do while you wait for the paramedics show up?

After all, you are far more likely to have keel over from a heart attack in your own home than you are to be shot by an intruder.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you at least have fire extinguishers? In looking at the odds fire is WAY higher on the list of security issues than invasion. And when that happens you lose far more than the expensive stuff: you lose ALL the precious stuff of a lifetime. "Up in smoke" as it were.

Speaking of home security.

It's like (IMHO) people who wander out into the wild all strapped for bear defense and yet they do not have a clue as to their allergic status with regard to Bee stings. The FAR and away larger wildlife killer of humans.
 Post Number: 6
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope you don't use an inept analogy like that for your paying clients:  if they want to get a defibrillator, they can.  The point of the question is, what do they do when they are prohibited from take the precaution of having a firearm, if they choose.
 Post Number: 7
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent point

All are examples of being prepared and being somewhat responsible for your own safety

And none of them causes stupid people to assume you are paranoid....even though the defibrillator might qualify...but not if you have a heart condition

Kind of like owning a firearm if you live in an area that has break ins

So the message remains......

When seconds count the police are only minutes away

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Start mopping up the blood.

Maybe not but no laws are being written prohibiting them from getting one.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know CPR and I have fire extinguishers

And yet I do not know anyone that has either had a heart attack or had their house burn down

But I do know people that have been robbed at gunpoint

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 10
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Mar. 07 2013, 4:23 pm)

I hope you don't use an inept analogy like that for your paying clients:  if they want to get a defibrillator, they can.  The point of the question is, what do they do when they are prohibited from take the precaution of having a firearm, if they choose.

The failed reasoning is the jump from "the police can't get there in time" to "that means I should be allowed to have a gun and have it now."

That reasoning would compel that we allow every 14 to 21 year old the ability to "have a gun and have it now".  Even convicted felons should be allowed to "have a gun and have it now" to protect themselves.

A person who doesn't worry about protecting themselves from more common hazards shouldn't expect anyone to take their inane reasoning seriously about other perceived hazards.

He can apply for a permit.  Assuming he isn't as stupid as the video depicts, he might actually get one.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Mar. 07 2013, 1:42 pm)
And none of them causes stupid people to assume you are paranoid....even though the defibrillator might qualify...but not if you have a heart condition

News Flash for BB,

The vast majority of times an external defibrillator is used outside of the hospital setting, it is used on a person with no prior history of a heart condition.

And it happens more often than armed burglaries or fires in the home.  

Even so, most would rather focus their attention on protecting themselves from the boogie man.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Mar. 07 2013, 2:59 pm)
I know CPR and I have fire extinguishers

And yet I do not know anyone that has either had a heart attack or had their house burn down

But I do know people that have been robbed at gunpoint

Which is why I am Pro-choice.
 Post Number: 13
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 7:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread is full of FAIL and nearly all of them are from the gunsluts.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 7:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are encouraged and even sometimes required to get fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and various fire systems all the way up to sprinklers to protect our house until the pros arrive. "Just in case".
We are encouraged to learn first aid and CPR for med emergencies until the pros arrive. "Just in case".
Many work places now have defib units until the pros arrive. "Just in case".
We are required to have insurance for many things. "Just in case".
We are required by law to wear seatbelts in motor vehicles. "Just in case".

But then we are told that we should not, and quite often mandated by law in some places cannot, have a firearm for self defense until the pros arrive. "Just in case".

Hypocrisy.

--------------

Post Number: 15
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 08 2013, 7:20 am)
Hypocrisy.

Well, I guess it's pointless to talk about "common sense" laws when gun proponents insist on playing dumb just to be argumentative.

If you're not capable of understanding the difference in the risk potential of a gun vs a seatbelt, then you have no business owning one.  JMO.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 08 2013, 7:33 am)

Hypocrisy.

Well, I guess it's pointless to talk about "common sense" laws when gun proponents insist on playing dumb just to be argumentative.

If you're not capable of understanding the difference in the risk potential of a gun vs a seatbelt, then you have no business owning one.  JMO.

Since you cannot comprehend the hypocrisy, you have no legitimate voice in a discussion on gun ownership.

--------------

Post Number: 17
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:16 am)

Hypocrisy.

Since you cannot comprehend the hypocrisy, you have no legitimate voice in a discussion on gun ownership.

Are you assuming that 'comprehend' = 'agree'?

Note that I said nothing about me not understanding your assertion that it's a hypocrisy.  I just don't agree with your assertion.

So, basically, you think my opinion is invalid if I don't agree with your logic.  Not surprising.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 18
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Mar. 07 2013, 10:30 am)

Terrible analogy.

Defibrillators & CPR training actually serve to prevent heart attack deaths. They're legitimate safety measures.

Owning a gun, however, actually makes one much more likely to die from gun violence. It's the opposite of safety.

So you see, they're not the same at all.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 19
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Mar. 08 2013, 10:47 am)

(nogods @ Mar. 07 2013, 10:30 am)

Terrible analogy.

Defibrillators & CPR training actually serve to prevent heart attack deaths. They're legitimate safety measures.

Owning a gun, however, actually makes one much more likely to die from gun violence. It's the opposite of safety.

So you see, they're not the same at all.

I think nogods is simply saying that there will always be times when we are left alone -- to wait -- be it for the police or fire fighters or EMS.

To expect government service not just 24/7 -- but instantly available at the precise  moment of need -- is completely unrealistic.  And probably a sense of entitlement gone berserk.

Separately, and making general statements here, having to be on our own for x minutes -- can a gun ever be useful?  Of course! But that doesn't mean we all need to own guns.  Not at all.  Statistically, it has been shown that cooperating with intruders maximizes our chances of safety.  As well, intruders have turned victims' guns against the victims themselves -- resulting in needless deaths!  There has been way too much scaremongering from gun advocates.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 20
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 08 2013, 10:52 am)
I think nogods is simply saying that there will always be times when we are left alone -- to wait -- be it for the police or fire fighters or EMS.

I actually don't disagree with nogods' point there (you may have missed the snarky tone of my comment).

I was really just pointing out that the idea of guns as a safety measure at all isn't really based in statistical reality.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 21
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:45 am)

I actually don't disagree with nogods' point there (you may have missed the snarky tone of my comment).

I was really just pointing out that the idea of guns as a safety measure at all isn't really based in statistical reality.

I see.  Then we are all in agreement here.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 22
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Mar. 08 2013, 1:45 pm)

+1
The contention that guns are like fire extinguishers is apparently the very core of the differences on this issue.

One side believes that guns are like fire extinguishers when you have a fire, and the other believes that they are like gasoline.

Will guns actually reduce violence?
As fire extinguishers (and most of those other items mentioned) are designed to put out a fire, are guns' primary function to reduce violence?

Is it even rational to think that that could work?
Is that contention supported by evidence?
Really? [You know, outside of the "studies" done by John (The-Dog-Ate-My-Homework) Lott?]

ETA: Mind you, I would personally contend that you should be free to try it. I don't have anything against guns per se. But, if you do so, you should be responsible for the results, just as you are responsible for the safe use of your automobile. That's why I favor requiring insurance for ownership of guns. Solves a hell of a lot of problems without demanding restrictions - outside of the serious problems of any dead persons who may be the direct result of your decision should you turn out not to be all that responsible.
 Post Number: 23
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Mar. 08 2013, 2:45 pm)

Haven't been able to find the stats, but it would be interesting to know:

If a child lives in a home that has guns...what are the odds the kid gets shot by one of those guns by himself or household member....versus being shot outside home by a non-family member?

i.e., is Mom/Dad's gun the biggest gun threat to a kid?.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just noted a significant drift from the original question of what would you do during the wait.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 25
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 08 2013, 4:59 pm)
Just noted a significant drift from the original question of what would you do during the wait.

As was stated in post #2 (an appropriately early response), the question itself is kinda stupid.

The implication is, of course, that the only appropriate thing to do "while waiting for police" is to barricade yourself somewhere with your gun. This further implies that, because of the expected egregious time delay, every person should take the "safety precaution" of buying a firearm. The assumption that this would ever be reasonable as a solution is your first hint that your argument might be a tad...what's the phrase? ...uh, "over the top wacko". Kinda like when someone states the reason for having a firearm is to "protect myself from the government."

Yeah, that's gonna work...
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 08 2013, 2:59 pm)

Did you buy that AED yet?
Cheaper than an AR15 and far more likely to be needed.
 Post Number: 27
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 07 2013, 1:37 pm)

Interesting answer!

I try to keep my dogs from eating the burglar(s).

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 28
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would let mine chow down!  Except for a rabbit or ground squirrel now and then they don't get fresh meat.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 08 2013, 6:29 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 08 2013, 4:59 pm)

As was stated in post #2 (an appropriately early response), the question itself is kinda stupid.

The implication is, of course, that the only appropriate thing to do "while waiting for police" is to barricade yourself somewhere with your gun. This further implies that, because of the expected egregious time delay, every person should take the "safety precaution" of buying a firearm. The assumption that this would ever be reasonable as a solution is your first hint that your argument might be a tad...what's the phrase? ...uh, "over the top wacko". Kinda like when someone states the reason for having a firearm is to "protect myself from the government."

Yeah, that's gonna work...

Well Gabby, I guess I am asking you to believe me at face value that I am only interested in a pragmatic, individualistic thought or plan of action a responder to my question has in case of the hypothetical situation where one has a 2 to 3 minute window before law enforcement arrives.

No other pretense or implication is involved in my asking this question. I am genuinely curious and I was surprised at some of the answers a few have given.

I'm very interested in what you would do in spite of the tone of your retort.

Oh, BTW, George Washington thought it was a good enough reason to own a gun to "protect myself from the government", I don't know of anyone thinking he was "over the top wacko".
In fact it does work, at one time the British were the government here until everyday gun owners protected themselves from them and dismantled their rule.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 08 2013, 9:41 am)

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:16 am)

Hypocrisy.

Are you assuming that 'comprehend' = 'agree'?

Note that I said nothing about me not understanding your assertion that it's a hypocrisy.  I just don't agree with your assertion.

So, basically, you think my opinion is invalid if I don't agree with your logic.  Not surprising.

Your missing the point = incomprehension. Got nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing.

--------------

54 replies since Mar. 07 2013, 1:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What To Do While Waiting For Police
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions