2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Finally People Have Come To Their Senses< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Instead of knee jerking, exploiting, posturing and taking political advantage of dead children, some folks are actually being pragmatic and doing something to prevent violence;

http://news.yahoo.com/post-sa....55.html

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 09 2013, 12:27 pm)
Instead of knee jerking, exploiting, posturing and taking political advantage of dead children, some folks are actually being pragmatic and doing something to prevent violence;

Come to their senses?  Really?  Where?  How?   ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The irony is so thick we'd need a chainsaw to get through it.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 09 2013, 2:27 pm)

The irony is so thick we'd need a chainsaw to get through it.

Scary part -- I don't believe the irony was intended... or even perceived.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I hold you in my arms (oh yes)
When I feel my finger on your trigger (oh yes)
I know nobody can do me no harm
Because
happiness is a warm gun, momma
Happiness is a warm gun
-Yes it is.
Happiness is a warm, yes it is...
Gun!
Well don't ya know that happiness is a warm gun, momma? (yeah)

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahem,

Forgot rose colored glasses are standard equipment for some;

A day after the Georgia legislature ended bans on guns in bars, churches, and college classrooms, South Dakota passed the first law in the US aimed expressly at allowing school districts to arm teachers.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 09 2013, 6:25 pm)
Ahem,

Forgot rose colored glasses are standard equipment for some;

I prefer my rose colored glasses to those duct tape covered lenses that seem to be so popular with many of the gun folks.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glimmer of hope for sanity;

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013....e-house

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 8:07 am)

Honestly, I don't see how scrapping a proposed law that would call for a background check equates to: "sanity".
There is nothing sane about the insane having unchecked access to firearm purchases.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 13 2013, 11:38 am)

Honestly, I don't see how scrapping a proposed law that would call for a background check equates to: "sanity".
There is nothing sane about the insane having unchecked access to firearm purchases.

That's the first step in a national registration so the next step can be implemented and an unconstitutional overreach.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 8:48 am)

That's the first step in a national registration so the next step can be implemented and an unconstitutional overreach.

First off, I don't buy that "first step" propaganda.

But if you are opposed to background checks, how do you propose we keep firearms out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them?
 Post Number: 12
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PLEASE!

Could we just have a rational discussion about health care in this country without all these distractions?

We could start with the serious lack of mental health care professionals, a situation that has clearly led to widespread paranoia in many quarters...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 13 2013, 11:52 am)

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 8:48 am)

First off, I don't buy that "first step" propaganda.

But if you are opposed to background checks, how do you propose we keep firearms out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them?

OK, this is how the first step works;

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews....rmament

Second, I feel background checks are fine with the way the laws are now with the exception of vastly strengthening  the mental health link to the database. The Colorado shooter and Adam Lanza are two glaring examples of major failures I would like to see addressed by all sides in the debate and quickly implement some sane, rational and pragmatic laws into the system.

Thirdly, severe punishment for those that break the gun laws and stopping of the revolving door attitude judges have with a lot of these folks.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the topic, but thanks for your demeanor and attitude in wording your rebuttal.  :)

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 9:14 am)
I feel background checks are fine with the way the laws are now with the exception of vastly strengthening  the mental health link to the database.

The background checks now do not address the sale of firearms outside of the gun shop - correct?  So you're okay with that?  You're okay with unregulated firearm sales to those who shouldn't have them?  And any rational attempt to regulate firearm sales is just a veiled step towards Nazi Germany?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, this is how the first step works;

• http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews....rmament

Second, I feel background checks are fine with the way the laws are now with the exception of vastly strengthening  the mental health link to the database. The Colorado shooter and Adam Lanza are two glaring examples of major failures I would like to see addressed by all sides in the debate and quickly implement some sane, rational and pragmatic laws into the system. [**]

Thirdly, severe punishment for those that break the gun laws and stopping of the revolving door attitude judges have with a lot of these folks. [***]

BTW, this has nothing to do with the topic, but thanks for your demeanor and attitude in wording your rebuttal.[****]

• The NRA produces a huge campaign of fear and paranoia.
    [**] The NRA publicly promotes enforcement of current laws, but blocks funding.
    [***] The NRA makes a public show of supporting those who are tough on firearms violations, but politically assassinates them with support of their opponents in elections.
    [****] It's easy to work with those who go along with the NRA agenda, even if you're only showing how charming the NRA tries to appear (while they're simultaneously working to defeat any gun control whatsoever).
     Post Number: 16
    TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 09 2013, 3:27 pm)

So... arming school teachers is not "knee jerking, etc." and that's going to prevent violence?  LOL... okey-dokey.

--------------
    Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
     Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:24 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 9:14 am)
    I feel background checks are fine with the way the laws are now with the exception of vastly strengthening  the mental health link to the database.

The background checks now do not address the sale of firearms outside of the gun shop - correct?  So you're okay with that?  You're okay with unregulated firearm sales to those who shouldn't have them?  And any rational attempt to regulate firearm sales is just a veiled step towards Nazi Germany?

nbfa,
    Here are some facts for you to review about gun sales outside of gun stores;

http://blog.heritage.org/2013....oophole

http://www.governing.com/gov-dat....ap.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news....-overbl

Rational steps are fine, however, IMO, that is not the objective with the majority of those on the other side sorry to say. It's too bad because I'm sure there are some great, useful ideas that could be culled from that side to the issue of criminals getting guns. It's just hard to hear their voices over the white noise by the hard core anti's.

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's just hard to hear their voices over the white noise by the hard core anti's.
    Your insinuation here is that the NRA, and people like yourself, are NOT generating a lot of noise (white, black or gray) in order to make it impossible to pass rational controls? HA!!
     Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:34 pm)

So... arming school teachers is not "knee jerking, etc." and that's going to prevent violence?  LOL... okey-dokey.

We arm airplane pilots, we arm security guards in banks, we arm people protecting nuclear plants, we arm the president and his children!

You have an issue with protecting children?

There are police in lots of schools all across this county!

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:41 pm)
    It's just hard to hear their voices over the white noise by the hard core anti's.
    Your insinuation here is that the NRA, and people like yourself, are NOT generating a lot of noise (white, black or gray) in order to make it impossible to pass rational controls? HA!!

Hi Gabby!

I never said I am in lockstep with the NRA. There are just as many "gun nuts" generating white noise on that side for sure. I didn't point it out thinking most understood that.

First, I am not a member of the NRA and second I have been a registered democrat all my life!

Careful when you assume Gabby! HA!  :D

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We arm airplane pilots, we arm security guards in banks, we arm people protecting nuclear plants, we arm the president and his children!

We need to go even further! WHY NOT?

I'd like to see walls around every school, topped with barbed wire.

Let's make sure to let those kiddos know that it's a tough world, and there are hundreds - no, thousands - of armed gunmen out there looking for them.

Let's surround the walls with minefields, and then create a maze-like path through all of it. We can have secret passcodes at the gates, and armed sentries in towers, watching the horizon for the hordes of approaching gunmen. On one Saturday each month, we can have practice drills so the kids learn the secret passcodes and the hidden path through the minefields.

Yeah, we may lose a few kiddos here and there, but the ones who survive will be tougher and stronger. Just think what good soldiers they'll make!
     Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:54 pm)

We need to go even further! WHY NOT?

I'd like to see walls around every school, topped with barbed wire.

Let's make sure to let those kiddos know that it's a tough world, and there are hundreds - no, thousands - of armed gunmen out there looking for them.

Let's surround the walls with minefields, and then create a maze-like path through all of it. We can have secret passcodes at the gates, and armed sentries in towers, watching the horizon for the hordes of approaching gunmen. On one Saturday each month, we can have practice drills so the kids learn the secret passcodes and the hidden path through the minefields.

Yeah, we may lose a few kiddos here and there, but the ones who survive will be tougher and stronger. Just think what good soldiers they'll make!

Gabby, Gabby, Gabby!

Soooo over the top today. Come on, tell us what is eating you?

I still think your awesome!  :D

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 9:37 am)
    Rational steps are fine, however, IMO, that is not the objective with the majority of those on the other side sorry to say. It's too bad because I'm sure there are some great, useful ideas that could be culled from that side to the issue of criminals getting guns. It's just hard to hear their voices over the white noise by the hard core anti's.

Again, I don't buy in to the secret agenda crap, never have.  And to use that excuse as the basis for an argument against rational regulations is absurd, IMO.

To give credit where credit is due however, those who make money from such fears have done a great job of convincing people to be scared.
     Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:37 pm)

Seriously?   :laugh:  You're funny.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on threads you've initiated in this forum.  I'm pretty sure you're the poster child of "white noise makers".

Imo, the objective of the majority of the gun-control side is, in fact, to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them, whether they're criminals or mentally unstable.  It seems to me that objective of the anti-gun-control side is simply to make sure that they get to keep their guns and buy more without restriction.

--------------
    Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
     Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:59 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 9:37 am)

Again, I don't buy in to the secret agenda crap, never have.  And to use that excuse as the basis for an argument against rational regulations is absurd, IMO.

To give credit where credit is due however, those who make money from such fears have done a great job of convincing people to be scared.

OK, fair enough. :)

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 13 2013, 1:01 pm)
    Imo, the objective of the majority of the gun-control side is, in fact, to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them, whether they're criminals or mentally unstable.

"Imo, the objective of the majority of the gun-control side is, in fact, to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them, whether they're criminals or mentally unstable."

Oh really? Hmm, read this;

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Gov....ginning

It seems to me that objective of the anti-gun-control side is simply to make sure that they get to keep their guns and buy more without restriction.

Can you back that up with anything other than "IMO"?

Why would I want more Adam Lanzas? Why would I want more Columbines? Why would I want not want to restrict sales to felons? How you can make that assumption personally to me is, IMO, symptomatic of the divide between gun owners and those who are not.

Stop paying attention to the white noise makers on BOTH sides and be a free thinker! Join the debate and bring your common sense opinion into the equation and perhaps good, pragmatic changes can get done?

Yes, no, maybe?

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:42 pm)

(TigerFan @ Mar. 13 2013, 12:34 pm)

Yes, police, security guards, secret service agents are armed.  That's their job and what they're trained for.  Makes sense.

Airline pilots who are armed only if they're trained deck officers.

I presume you believe in the mantra "guns don't kill, people do"?  By the same token, gun's don't "protect" either.  Putting a gun in a teacher's hand has nothing to do with protecting children.

--------------
     Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do yourself a favor and do a search on threads you've initiated in this forum.  I'm pretty sure you're the poster child of "white noise makers".

Imo, the objective of the majority of the gun-control side is, in fact, to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them, whether they're criminals or mentally unstable.  It seems to me that objective of the anti-gun-control side is simply to make sure that they get to keep their guns and buy more without restriction.
    I have said from the gitgo that the NRA and those persons who are "pro-gun" should be leading the effort to keep guns out of the hands of the irresponsible and the insane. But they are attempting to throttle any such attempts by creating an atmosphere of fear and paranoia.

You, Buggyboo, have NEVER attempted to have an honest dialog with anyone about gun issues. You (and others like Montecresto, the Italian peak) have just repeated the same old tired paranoid delusions you can hear and read everywhere.

It's time to admit that you have at least some responsibility to other people for the PRIVILEGE of owning and carrying a weapon for whatever legitimate purposes you desire. It's time to stop the ridiculous chatter about "personal Constitutional rights" and "defending against tyranny" (with your Glock, fer God's sake) and come back down to earth, where all the rest of us (try) to live.

ETA: And "breitbart" as a "source"? Really? Give me a break.
     Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 13 2013, 1:17 pm)
    [  By the same token, gun's don't "protect" either.  Putting a gun in a teacher's hand has nothing to do with protecting children.

Hmmm, might have to disagree with you on that;

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_crimes_are_stopped_by_gun_owners

BTW, I target practice with two school teachers, they are both crack shots and one is a woman!

--------------

Charlton Heston
     Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, I target practice with two school teachers, they are both crack shots and one is a woman!
    Do you see the difference between anecdotal evidence that at least some persons (regardless of their profession) choose to own and use firearms, while what you are strongly insinuating is that we should arm all teachers?

Do you  (or any of your gun-totin' friends) really believe that everyone actually wants to carry a firearm? I know people who don't want to drive a car - ever! Should we force them to do so?
    70 replies since Mar. 09 2013, 3:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
    reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Finally People Have Come To Their Senses
    iB Code Buttons
    You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
    Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
    Track this topic
    View All Emoticons
    View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
    Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
    The Best Trails in America
    YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
    and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
    Full Name:
    City:
    Address 1:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Address 2:
    Email (required):
    Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions