2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Real Trend in Gun Ownership< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 12:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just as I have suspected all along the big rush to buy more guns has been carried out by people who already have guns, and the number of households who own guns is continuing to decline pretty steeply.  

And if the gun nuts keep stonewalling and making irrational claims for absolute rights to own guns, they will cause severe changes that limit the rights of the rest of us who want to see sensible controls and limits on the guns in private hands, making them safer and useable only for legitimate uses like hunting, self protection and target shooting.

The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

In 2012, the share of American households with guns was 34 percent, according to survey results released on Thursday. Researchers said the difference compared with 2010, when the rate was 32 percent, was not statistically significant.

The findings contrast with the impression left by a flurry of news reports about people rushing to buy guns and clearing shop shelves of assault rifles after the massacre last year at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

“There are all these claims that gun ownership is going through the roof,” said Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research. “But I suspect the increase in gun sales has been limited mostly to current gun owners. The most reputable surveys show a decline over time in the share of households with guns.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013....emc=rss

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe.....but it is also possible that more people are lying to those taking the survey

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Mar. 10 2013, 10:59 am)
Maybe.....but it is also possible that more people are lying to those taking the survey

People would lie to a perfect stranger asking about things that are none of their business in the first place?

Yep, all the time.
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In upstate NY there is no doubt that pistol permit applications have been consistently increasing for the last few years.

Given the time and expense it takes to get a pistol permit it would be highly unlikely that those who obtain a pistol permit didn't end up purchasing a handgun.

I suppose it is possible that many of new permits are for people living in a house with a person who already has a permit or in which long guns are already present, but it seem that there would also be some newbie's now and then.

ALBANY — The number of pistol permits in New York soared 14 percent between 2011 and 2012 in advance of a gun-control law passed last month.

Amid concerns about tougher gun laws in New York and nationally, residents obtained nearly 20,000 pistol permits in 2012, up about 2,500 since 2011, State Police records obtained by Gannett’s Albany Bureau showed.

Westchester County had a remarkable increase – up 200 percent over the two years, from 261 issued in 2011 to 793 in 2012. Westchester County Clerk Tim Idoni on Wednesday confirmed the increase but said he was unclear of the reason for the surge.

Pistol permits in New York sharply up in 2012
 Post Number: 5
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Measuring the level of gun ownership can be a vexing problem, with various recent national polls reporting rates between 35 percent and 52 percent. Responses can vary because the survey designs and the wording of questions differ."

Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said he was skeptical that there had been a decline in household ownership. He pointed to reports of increased gun sales, to long waits for gun safety training classes and to the growing number of background checks, which have surged since the late 1990s, as evidence that ownership is rising.

“I’m sure there are a lot of people who would love to make the case that there are fewer gun owners in this country, but the stories we’ve been hearing and the data we’ve been seeing simply don’t support that,” he said.

And if the gun grabbing lunatics keep stonewalling and making irrational claims for taking away constitutional rights to own guns, they will cause severe changes that limit the rights of the rest of us who want to see sensible laws on the guns in private hands, making them safer and usable for legitimate uses like hunting, self protection, target shooting and thwarting potential governmental tyranny against its own people.

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buggyboo
Measuring the level of gun ownership can be a vexing problem

This will be solved by the Universal Background Check being proposed - supported by 74% of NRA members. In order to make the Universal Background Check work, an National Gun Registry and infrastructure must be created. The National Gun Registry will reveal the percentage of Americans that own guns, and what type of guns they own.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
 Post Number: 7
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has been my experience that gun ownership is actually increasing. I'll take a look at the article later.  THX for posting WWWest.  And I hope there is never a national gun registry...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"This will be solved by the Universal Background Check being proposed - supported by 74% of NRA members. In order to make the Universal Background Check work, an National Gun Registry and infrastructure must be created. The National Gun Registry will reveal the percentage of Americans that own guns, and what type of guns they own."

Yes, good idea!

Worked really well before!

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews....rmament

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 9
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A total sample of all 50 states of 2000 people seems pretty minute, how was it applied, evenly over the US, rural versus urban, young verus older, men versus women?  I suspect you could find a survey that says the gun ownership is going up.  I still remember what my college statistics professor told us......if you're good you can make statistics proof or disprove anything..............I take surveys with a grain of salt.
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I take surveys with a grain of salt.

I don't take surveys at all.

This will be solved by the Universal Background Check being proposed - supported by 74% of NRA members. In order to make the Universal Background Check work, an National Gun Registry and infrastructure must be created. The National Gun Registry will reveal the percentage of Americans that own guns, and what type of guns they own.

Nope. Won't register myself more than I already am and won't register my guns.

And BTW, that 74% really doesn't mean squat. NRA membership is around 4.5 million while Gallup polls indicate some 50 million+ own guns. So your 74% is actually closer to 7% or less of gun owners.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I disagree with the statement regarding the decline of gun ownership and guns are bought by current gun owners.
I've a friend who is currently tasked with investigating hand gun permit applications. He told me he has never seen so many new applicants and his superiors also say that there are more new applicants than ever before.
I've spoken to sales people I know at Gander Mountain and Herb Philipsons, as well as a local mom/pop gun shop I frequent and they all tell me they have sold more guns to new gun owners than ever.

Who am I going to believe...the government or some anti gun group or person or the people actually involved in processing applications and selling guns? Certainly not the government...regardless of the party in control...Bush was little better.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of, course, as always the scientific sampling in a study that has been going on for over 30 years is bogus, in the eyes of the right wing.

Remember all the disbelief about the polls showing that Obama would win the Presidency comfortably with over 50 % of the vote, and big cushion in electoral votes, which all the right wing flacks said was bogus, for pretty much the same reasons stated above??  How did that work out for you??  heh

Scientific polling, as opposed to internet polls, have proven to be very reliable, especially when they follow the same issue, year after year.

You can continue to deny, but denial is NOT a river in Africa.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 11 2013, 2:07 pm)
Of, course, as always the scientific sampling in a study that has been going on for over 30 years is bogus, in the eyes of the right wing.

Remember all the disbelief about the polls showing that Obama would win the Presidency comfortably with over 50 % of the vote, and big cushion in electoral votes, which all the right wing flacks said was bogus, for pretty much the same reasons stated above??  How did that work out for you??  heh

Scientific polling, as opposed to internet polls, have proven to be very reliable, especially when they follow the same issue, year after year.

You can continue to deny, but denial is NOT a river in Africa.

There are lies, damn lies, then statistics!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 14
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gabby Giffords husband buys assault rifle.  First time buyer?

Gun Rights folks will make a lot of hay out of this, deservedly so.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona....95.html

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why did he buy it, and how is he going to use in the campaign for gun control laws?

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 13 2013, 2:00 pm)
Why did he buy it, and how is he going to use in the campaign for gun control laws?

Anyway he can spin and keep the cash machine going.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to see that you are helping him with those goals.

Keep up the good work.   :laugh:

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 13 2013, 3:08 pm)
Glad to see that you are helping him with those goals.

Keep up the good work.   :laugh:

Happy to point out the types you support!

Says volumes about you and your choices!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 19
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Illinois, a very Democratic state where even our Republicans are frequently to the left of southern Democrats we have a "survey" that doesn't lie.

It is called the FOID, Firearms Owner ID card.

You have to have the states blessing to buy and own a gun.

Requests for FOID's have gone through the roof since the President was first elected. The record flood of requests for permission to legally own a gun still shows little signs of abating.

First time gun ownership is going up in Illinois.

http://www.sj-r.com/news....equests

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news....ts.html

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 20
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Mar. 13 2013, 5:56 pm)
Requests for FOID's has gone through the roof since the President was first elected. The record flood of requests for permission to legally own a gun still shows little signs of abating.

AND it's been 4.5 YEARS since he was "first elected" and NOTHING has actually happened insofar as reducing the right to own a gun.  The joke is on the wallets of those who rushed out to buy in a panic...

ETA: but all the panic and subsequent arguing about the perceived notion of losing rights, has distracted a good portion of Americans who should instead, be pressuring their congressmen and women to fix the REAL problems in this country.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

double post

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 22
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 13 2013, 5:01 pm)

Requests for FOID's has gone through the roof since the President was first elected. The record flood of requests for permission to legally own a gun still shows little signs of abating.

AND it's been 4.5 YEARS since he was "first elected" and NOTHING has actually happened insofar as reducing the right to own a gun.  The joke is on the wallets of those who rushed out to buy in a panic...

And nothing will happen either.

The Democrats and some Republicans stepped on their own thingies and over reached after Sandy Hook.

The issue will be out of the news by the end of the year with no substantial infringement on our right to self defense.

Universal background checks, registration and AWB's are all dead letters.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Mar. 13 2013, 6:07 pm)
The issue will be out of the news by the end of the year with no substantial infringement on our right to self defense.

We can only hope...

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 14 2013, 9:09 am)

(Ron. @ Mar. 13 2013, 6:07 pm)

We can only hope...

+1  :)

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 25
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gun ownership isn't a democratic or republican discussion as politicians would want you to be lulled into. A persons rights shouldn't even be discussed. Gun Ownership is about who wants to provide food & a level of proper protection for their loved one's that they see necessary. I have a shotgun for hunting, a handgun for my personal protection for my job & I'm getting ready to buy my wife a handgun for her personal protection. The unfortunate break down of morality fed by politicians & special interest groups to those who listen have caused an unruly "me Society" who would rather take than work for, I see it everyday in my job on the streets of small town USA. No gun law anywhere will EVER take guns out of a criminal's hands. When someones home is broken into & they are forced to watch several men gang rape your wife & kids, you'll have wished you owned a gun. Strangely enough the US Government is the largest ammunition buyer in the country? Now there's an question All citizens need an answer to.

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
 Post Number: 26
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not buy products based on an unrealistic fear that something with a infinitesimal possibility of happening will actually happen to me.

Home invasion by an unarmed gang of men, whose sole intent is raping women and children is not something I fear.  I try not to waste my time on such matters.  I said unarmed, because owning, and packing, a firearm would have little impact on a home invasion by any gang of men if they were also armed. If they were armed, your little toy just fell into the wrong hands.  Any other scenario is just chest pounding hyperbole.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Mar. 14 2013, 10:36 am)
. I said unarmed, because owning, and packing, a firearm would have little impact on a home invasion by any gang of men if they were also armed. If they were armed, your little toy just fell into the wrong hands.  Any other scenario is just chest pounding hyperbole.[/color]

Do you know that by reading tea leaves or looking in your crystal ball?

If you are not too busy, will you PM me the lotto numbers for this week and maybe throw in a good stock or two?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 28
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Mar. 13 2013, 3:07 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 13 2013, 5:01 pm)

And nothing will happen either.

The Democrats and some Republicans stepped on their own thingies and over reached after Sandy Hook.

Universal background checks, registration and AWB's are all dead letters.

Please don't tell all of those who have spent millions and millions paying over-inflated prices for firearms and ammunition.  

P.T. Barnum lives.
 Post Number: 29
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they were armed, your little toy just fell into the wrong hands.  Any other scenario is just chest pounding hyperbole.

I doubt it will happen and hope it doesn't but as I've said, my HD weapon is a shotgun. So maybe it will fall into the wrong hands but there will be significantly fewer hands after than before.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 30
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It would certainly buck them impression that seems to be out there. Must be a dwindling number of people making more and more noise.
68 replies since Mar. 10 2013, 12:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Real Trend in Gun Ownership
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions