2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: It's Soda Time!  Big Gulp law get swallowed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Judge Blocks New York City’s Ban on Big Sugary Drinks

The decision by Justice Milton A. Tingling Jr. of State Supreme Court in Manhattan blocks the city from putting the rules into effect or enforcing them.

Justice Tingling said the rule banning the drinks was “arbitrary and capricious.”

The judge also appeared to be skeptical of the purview of the city’s Board of Health, which the Bloomberg administration had maintained has broad powers to seek to better the public’s health. That interpretation, the judge wrote, “would leave its authority to define, create, mandate and enforce limited only by its own imagination,” and “create an administrative Leviathan.”

After the judge imposed a stop to the ban, the Bloomberg administration quickly said it would challenge the decision.

“We plan to appeal the decision as soon as possible, and we are confident the Board of Health’s decision will ultimately be upheld,” Michael A. Cardozo, the Bloomberg administration’s chief counsel, said in a statement. “We believe the Board of Health has the legal authority – and responsibility – to tackle” the causes of obesity.

Seriously, how stupid was Bloomberg going to look having soda police patrolling the city.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYay YayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYay
YayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYayYay

Sorry. Sugar rush.
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Mar. 11 2013, 4:25 pm)
Seriously, how stupid was Bloomberg going to look having soda police patrolling the city.

Pop cops?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think people are idiots for drinking themselves into obese fat asses.  But it's their freedom to do so as adults (children should not have the same freedom -- it's why they have parents to guide them).

The law is absolutely a cure worse than the disease.  But freedom and responsibility should go hand in hand.  If there is a medically sound methodology -- the obese should be made to pay "their far share" of medical insurance premiums -- like smokers currently do.   With few exceptions (those need to be accounted for differently) -- diseases from smoking and obesity are self-inflicted, at least to some degree.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hop on Pop!

Dr. Seuss predicted this over 2000 years ago.

What a country!

Good to see checks and balances hard at work.  This is why our crazy democracy has survived as long as it has.  225 years is a good start!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Activist judges at work again.

I'm not sure why then, under these terms we have, say, the ability to limit the sale of alcohol to minors, or of cigarettes for that matter.

All laws are essentially "arbitrary and capricious" in that they limit the ability of certain people to act in a certain way. It's just a matter of whether there is support for them in the populace at a whole.

I don't really agree with the law, but the courts should not be deciding policy in the way they are now.  

Can you honestly tell me that limiting drinking to those over 21 is and less "arbitrary and capricious"? What about the ridiculous Sunday restrictions on selling alcohol in much of the country?

If they wanted to overturn this it should be done at the ballot box.
 Post Number: 7
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, whoa, big gulps, huh?

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 11 2013, 2:32 pm)
If there is a medically sound methodology -- the obese should be made to pay "their far share" of medical insurance premiums -- like smokers currently do.

Something like this, I'd support.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Mar. 11 2013, 1:34 pm)
Activist judges at work again.

I'm not sure why then, under these terms we have, say, the ability to limit the sale of alcohol to minors, or of cigarettes for that matter.

All laws are essentially "arbitrary and capricious" in that they limit the ability of certain people to act in a certain way. It's just a matter of whether there is support for them in the populace at a whole.

In the case of alcohol and cigrarettes i's not "some" alcohol or cigarettes and not just in some stores but not others: ALL alcohol or all cigarettes to all who do not meet the stated age requirement. Equality under the law then.

Rather than "In his opinion, Justice Tingling specifically cited a perceived inequity in the soda rules, which applies to only certain sugared drinks — beverages with a high milk content, for instance, would be exempt — and would apply only to some food establishments, like restaurants, but not others, like convenience stores.

It applies to some but not all food establishments in the city,” Justice Tingling wrote. “It excludes other beverages that have significantly higher concentrations of sugar sweeteners and/or calories.”

The judge also wrote that the fact that consumers can receive refills of sodas, as long as the cup size is not larger than 16 ounces, would “defeat and/or serve to gut the purpose the rule.” The judge also appeared to be skeptical of the purview of the city’s Board of Health, which the Bloomberg administration had maintained has broad powers to seek to better the public’s health. That interpretation, the judge wrote, “would leave its authority to define, create, mandate and enforce limited only by its own imagination,” and “create an administrative Leviathan.”"

Refills, some establishments but not tohers etc. etc.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 11 2013, 5:19 pm)

If there is a medically sound methodology -- the obese should be made to pay "their far share" of medical insurance premiums -- like smokers currently do.

Not sure I would. It's just part of this ludicrous "market solutions to everything" mindset that we seem to be in. The imaginary world where you treat humans like pigeons or lab rats. Peck on the correct tab for your reward. Peck too often and you get punished.

I find it tough to grasp the fundamental elements here. Impeding the sale of soft drinks - terrible affront to freedom. Handing insurance companies the power of life and death - fair and reasonable.

Do we honestly think the "methodology" is going to be any less arbitrary and capricious? Few pounds on over the holiday, higher premium for you?

I assume we're suggesting that they will have to buy insurance?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Mar. 11 2013, 4:11 pm)

Not sure I would. It's just part of this ludicrous "market solutions to everything" mindset that we seem to be in. The imaginary world where you treat humans like pigeons or lab rats. Peck on the correct tab for your reward. Peck too often and you get punished.

I find it tough to grasp the fundamental elements here. Impeding the sale of soft drinks - terrible affront to freedom. Handing insurance companies the power of life and death - fair and reasonable.

Do we honestly think the "methodology" is going to be any less arbitrary and capricious? Few pounds on over the holiday, higher premium for you?

I think you read more than I said (or agreed with Ben about).  I wasn't suggesting folks buy insurance before they're allowed drink a large soda.

Right now, cigarettes are taxed heavily to include the resulting costs to states down the line such as Medicaid payments for lung cancer victims, etc.  That's the main reason cigarettes are $4-5 a pack instead of $0.80.  The cost includes the costs to the public down the line.  Wanna smoke?  You get to pay those costs up front.

Something like that, I'd support.  Please don't presume more than you read.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 11 2013, 7:27 pm)

(Land Rover @ Mar. 11 2013, 4:11 pm)

I think you read more than I said (or agreed with Ben about).  I wasn't suggesting folks buy insurance before they're allowed drink a large soda.

Right now, cigarettes are taxed heavily to include the resulting costs to states down the line such as Medicaid payments for lung cancer victims, etc.  That's the main reason cigarettes are $4-5 a pack instead of $0.80.  The cost includes the costs to the public down the line.  Wanna smoke?  You get to pay those costs up front.

Something like that, I'd support.  Please don't presume more than you read.

I was factoring in the ACA GBH.

I did run on a little assuming we just don't want to see the obese priced out of the insurance market altogether.

You accuse me of the same thing you just did  :;): I wasn't suggesting that you were suggesting etc etc.

I think it's one thing to tax an optional item in life. I think that given the complex nature of obesity varying health premiums based on weight is far more arbitrary than on consumption of a certain product.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Mar. 11 2013, 6:00 pm)
You accuse me of the same thing you just did  :;): I wasn't suggesting that you were suggesting etc etc.

I think it's one thing to tax an optional item in life. I think that given the complex nature of obesity varying health premiums based on weight is far more arbitrary than on consumption of a certain product.

Fair enough.

I don't really think we're in disagreement, honestly.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good. I want the government out of my lunch box, my bedroom, my marriage ceremonies and anywhere else where consenting adults are only hurting themselves at worst and more likely living much happier while being treated like adults.

(Who knew that soda brought out my libertarian streak, I don't even drink the stuff) First they came for the soda drinkers, but I said nothing because I'm a coffee drinker...  :D

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah. I think it's a bit far. I have no issue with them taxing it, but outlawing cup sizes is a little silly really.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Mar. 11 2013, 5:00 pm)

Hence the inclusion of my qualifier - "If there is a medically sound methodology".   I think your retort was misplaced -- at least in response to what I posted.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Mar. 11 2013, 6:32 pm)
Yeah. I think it's a bit far. I have no issue with them taxing it, but outlawing cup sizes is a little silly really.

And having those same serving sizes being legal in some places and not others reveals just how hollow the concern is as I see it.
 Post Number: 18
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought it was going too far from the start, but it got personal when I learned it would affect the sales of coffee larger than 16 oz.   I drink my coffee black, but I would have had to endure additional interaction to obtain it.  I would also have had to endure everyone else's interaction in front of me.    Everbody just shut up and give me my !@#$# coffee!
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given there is NO sugar in coffee  (its got to be added) how'd that get rationalized?

Black coffee dodged it
http://m.nbcnews.com/busines....8781253
 Post Number: 20
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think it's kind of like Prohibition, yes alcohol kills, hurts damages and numerous bad things like soda does, but prohibiting it is just not a practical, reasonable thing to try and stop by that method IMO.
I feel taxing soft drinks and dedicating those funds in a lock box vehicle towards advertising against, educating against and informing the consumer is a much more pragmatic approach. However, I think an army of lobbyists would overwhelm the politicians and any bill would fall to pieces.
No easy answer and the sadness, disease and suffering caused by ingesting (in my opinion) this addictive poison like drink, will unfortunately continue.  :(

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well and from the experience with the tobacco settlement and taxes the raid on all that "free" money would start before the ink was dry on the bill's signature.
 Post Number: 22
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 11 2013, 10:25 pm)
Given there is NO sugar in coffee  (its got to be added) how'd that get rationalized?

Black coffee dodged it

Yeah, but it's already hard enough to specify black at some places.  I figure it was inevitable that people asking for coffee would get a spiel on how much sugar would be allowed.

It's already nearly impossible to get black iced coffee.  I've now totally given up and ask for black iced coffee without sugar, and even that request fails pretty often.  Then I started asking for plain, black, bitter cofffee with nothing in it whatsoever.
 Post Number: 23
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 11 2013, 10:35 pm)
Well and from the experience with the tobacco settlement and taxes the raid on all that "free" money would start before the ink was dry on the bill's signature.

So true HSF, I try not to think about it, gets me depressed and angry.

BTW, in case anyone missed this;

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs....-report

On the other hand, drinking too much water can kill you too!

Life sucks sometimes!

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 24
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naw, life rocks!

Dying sucks.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 25
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and Mississippi just pass a bill that would bar counties and towns from enacting rules that require calorie counts to be posted, that cap portion sizes, or that keep toys out of kids' meals.  Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the county where one of three adults is obese.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 26
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Mar. 12 2013, 2:35 pm)
and Mississippi just pass a bill that would bar counties and towns from enacting rules that require calorie counts to be posted, that cap portion sizes, or that keep toys out of kids' meals.  Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the county where one of three adults is obese.

Equally asinine and intrusive.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 27
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 11 2013, 10:44 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 11 2013, 10:25 pm)

Black coffee dodged it

Yeah, but it's already hard enough to specify black at some places.  I figure it was inevitable that people asking for coffee would get a spiel on how much sugar would be allowed.

It's already nearly impossible to get black iced coffee.  I've now totally given up and ask for black iced coffee without sugar, and even that request fails pretty often.  Then I started asking for plain, black, bitter cofffee with nothing in it whatsoever.

Don,'t let down your guard , caffeine may be their next target  :)

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 11 2013, 7:44 pm)
It's already nearly impossible to get black iced coffee.  I've now totally given up and ask for black iced coffee without sugar, and even that request fails pretty often.  Then I started asking for plain, black, bitter coffee with nothing in it whatsoever.

Ask for black coffee and a cup of ice (or iced water).  Spoon the ice into the black coffee.   :;):

--------------
27 replies since Mar. 11 2013, 4:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply It's Soda Time!  Big Gulp law get swallowed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions