2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: God Particle Confirmed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 10:15 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't wait to hear the dribble and spin the religious nuts give to this;

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130314/DA50T1382.html

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It exists because they looked for it.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
Squaretop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the next few years it will be interesting to see what this tells us.  Primary science at its best.   Religion will have no input.

--------------
You can't buy time or memories.
"How'd I get involved".
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"The preliminary results with the full 2012 data set are magnificent and to me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson, though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is," said Joe Incandela, a physicist who heads one of the two main teams at CERN, each involving several thousand scientists.

"what kind of Higgs boson it is,"

Oh man, does this mean there's multiple gods?  :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Squaretop @ Mar. 14 2013, 2:51 pm)
Over the next few years it will be interesting to see what this tells us.  Primary science at its best.   Religion will have no input.

Something tell me the religious will use the ole "god is more clever than we thought" crap spin.

Hope your right though Square!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 6
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 14 2013, 10:15 am)

I'm pretty religious, believe in the Big Bang theory and see no religious problem with the identification of the Higgs boson.  Why do you think religious people would automatically have a problem with this?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 16 2013, 8:14 pm)

I'm pretty religious, believe in the Big Bang theory and see no religious problem with the identification of the Higgs boson.  Why do you think religious people would automatically have a problem with this?

Not you as an individual Ken.

However, a lot of religious dogma has that ever expanding explanation when science overcomes religious superstition such as, " Well it shows god is more cleaver than we thought"
answer like when fossils where discovered or the germ theory was found or how natural selection works through evolution.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 16 2013, 8:26 pm)

However, a lot of religious dogma has that ever expanding explanation when science overcomes religious superstition such as, " Well it shows god is more cleaver than we thought"
answer like when fossils where discovered or the germ theory was found or how natural selection works through evolution.

OK.

So which "religious superstition" do you think this discovery"overcomes"?
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 14 2013, 11:56 am)
"The preliminary results with the full 2012 data set are magnificent and to me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson, though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is," said Joe Incandela, a physicist who heads one of the two main teams at CERN, each involving several thousand scientists.

Isaac Asimov was right!

His first story title?

The Nine Billion Names of God. A story that has the best final sentence ever written, IMHO.

ETA: Phoo, that was written by Arthur C. Clarke.

Asimov's first story was Nightfall in any case. Still a terrific last sentence.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 16 2013, 9:04 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 16 2013, 8:26 pm)

OK.

So which "religious superstition" do you think this discovery"overcomes"?

Gosh Ken,

I'm not sure I can even begin to answer that.

But I hope for all of humanity, all of them!

Then again, good science takes a long time so more than likely I will be dead before I see any superstitions refuted.

However, the way technology is growing exponentially, maybe I can live to find out?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 16 2013, 9:11 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 14 2013, 11:56 am)

Isaac Asimov was right!

His first story title?

The Nine Billion Names of God. A story that has the best final sentence ever written, IMHO.

This is something I never heard of!

Thanks for the enlightenment!

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/i/isaac_asimov.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9aQT9XDaY

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Food for thought

http://newsone.com/2023841/higgs-boson-god-particle/

Here is your side Ken;

http://notashamedofthegospel.com/apologetics/god-particle/

"If you’re a Christian, then you’re enjoying the Higgs boson news because it only confirms what you’ve already personally experienced:"

See what I mean Ken, the ever expanding explanation.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Mar. 16 2013, 9:45 pm)
Food for thought

Here is your side Ken;

"If you’re a Christian, then you’re enjoying the Higgs boson news because it only confirms what you’ve already personally experienced:"

My side!!??

You appear to hold to the notion that science and religion cannot coexist.  I deny that notion.  I see science and religion using different methods to describe different truths.  Religion has its limits, as does science.  Science is best used to describe/explain the truths of our physical universe.  Religion is best used to describe/explain the truths of human interaction, emotion, and spiritual life.  I see zero contradiction between the two.

As for science "overcoming superstition" that will NEVER happen.  Humans are sadly naturally superstitious.  LOTS of folks today substitute (pseudo)scientific superstition for religious superstition.  It remains superstition.

And on the subject of "food for thought", do you get the meaning of Clarke's The Nine Billion Names of God?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Ken?

#WelcomeToThePigeonHole

Did you bring chips?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 16 2013, 11:03 pm)
Hey Ken?

#WelcomeToThePigeonHole

Did you bring chips?

Sorry, I guess I've been away too long.  I'm not following your meaning.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'd gotten "pigeonholed" to a "side" from assumption.

That's been occurring enough (assumptions of where  posters belong as to "sides") that I guessed there's almost enough people for a party and so chips came to mind.

Not all that significant.
 Post Number: 17
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah...interesting subject and drift subjects.

I wonder if god calls it a "me" object.
Does he/she/it object that such a small object be named after it?

Wonder if god will sue for taking his name...after all it is already in use...sort of like "threepete"???

Religion is man's means to control the masses before governments became powerful enough to take over.

Imagine a cardinal in full regalia sitting at a lonely telescope on some cold mountain top staring at the universe and god's face appears and says "hey quit staring"...

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 16 2013, 10:29 pm)

Food for thought

Here is your side Ken;

My side!!??

You appear to hold to the notion that science and religion cannot coexist.  I deny that notion.  I see science and religion using different methods to describe different truths.  Religion has its limits, as does science.  Science is best used to describe/explain the truths of our physical universe.  Religion is best used to describe/explain the truths of human interaction, emotion, and spiritual life.  I see zero contradiction between the two.

As for science "overcoming superstition" that will NEVER happen.  Humans are sadly naturally superstitious.  LOTS of folks today substitute (pseudo)scientific superstition for religious superstition.  It remains superstition.

And on the subject of "food for thought", do you get the meaning of Clarke's The Nine Billion Names of God?

What I meant by posting that Ken, was to present a christian viewpoint since you made it point to say you are one, that was my thinking when I said "your side" when I paired it with the "other side", I meant no slight by it.

Science and religion are totally incomparable from my viewpoint. Science is based on encouraging and rewarding their peers to disprove all status quo theories and explanations no matter how long or how old it has been dogma.

Religion is the complete opposite. They say they know all there is to know via one book to explain everything. Throughout history the penalty for challenge for that has been torture, brutal death, land confiscation and other lessor attacks until very recently.

As far as "Religion is best used to describe/explain the truths of human interaction, emotion, and spiritual life." I find that is far from true. Look at how much death and destruction religion has bestowed upon mankind when they imposed dogma on how to get along. They believe in frighting little children into obeying a fictitious celestial dictator in the sky by fear of eternal fire and torture. Women are to be subservient to man. They welcome death in a cult like way since the real reward is in "heaven" and can't wait for the world to end so they can experience it.

Regarding this; "As for science "overcoming superstition" that will NEVER happen.", science has been doing that for quite some time as in; the earth revolves around the sun instead of the other way around, discovery of the germ theory instead of attributing it to "god's vengeance" nonsense, discovery that volcano eruptions, tsunamis, earthquakes and other natural disasters are from reactions of a cooling plant instead an an angry god.

As time goes by and man is attempting to rise to his full height, these superstitions and  tendencies to think that way are evolving away thankfully.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 20
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is an impressive amount of faith in science and human reasoning!

It is good that your faith gives you hope for the future of mankind.

Everybody needs something to believe "in" :D

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 21
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is doing no service to physics to use the misnomer "god particle." Even Higgs regrets having used the phrase. Understanding it, may help to understand the behavior of matter, but will have little or no impact on the sort of truth that religion and philosophy are suited to explore.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something of a misnomer for sure; scientists actually dislike the term because it introduces a metaphysical concept into their theoretical physics.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Food for thought

Here is your side Ken;

Religion is forced to conform to science as we have seen before and will see again. God inspired Job with a flat earth description with corners. But really, god not inspiring anything, The author of the book of Job was writing based upon the belief in a flat earth at the time. It also didn't go too well for a gentlemen much latter for pointing out that the earth is round and not the center of the universe, the "church" didn't like that.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually the book of Job is a poetry book.

To look at it or accuse it of being anything other than an ancient book of Jewish poetry says more about you than the actual work itself.

As far as Galelio is concerned, pretty much all science, scientists and study took place and was funded by the Roman Catholic Church in that era. To say the Roman Catholic Church was anti science is just an uninformed opinion.

Ultimately Galelio was guilty of being bad at politics. The Pope he offended was actually a good friend of his who took offense at the tone of his work every bit as much as he was uncomfortable with the conclusions.

Your opinions are just an example of the failings of our modern education system. Propoganda and agenda driven presupositions in presenting the material are the norm.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many scientific discoveries have opposed religious dogma. I didn't say that the Catholic Church was anti science, I said they don't like it when science conflicts with dogma and science is right. Also, many "believing Protestants" would take issue with your position on Job. But thanks for your input.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Mar. 18 2013, 9:29 am)
As far as Galelio is concerned, pretty much all science, scientists and study took place and was funded by the Roman Catholic Church in that era. To say the Roman Catholic Church was anti science is just an uninformed opinion.

Ultimately Galelio was guilty of being bad at politics. The Pope he offended was actually a good friend of his who took offense at the tone of his work every bit as much as he was uncomfortable with the conclusions.

Ron,

I will politely disagree with you on this matter;

http://www.freethought.mbdojo.com/galileo.html

http://thequestfortruth.hubpages.com/hub....-Church

"In 1992, Pope John Paul II (reluctantly) formally apologized for the persecution of Galileo. They finally admitted that they, the Catholic Church and all the Popes since the beginning of the Church, were wrong, and that Galileo was right. For fifteen hundred years they had argued that every word in the bible was true-- that it was the perfect word of God, true in it's history and in all of its sciences. They were wrong. They threatened, tortured and killed people who disagreed with this error in the most brutal ways imaginable."

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will the next particle be called "god jr." or perhaps "gods second cousin once removed"?

--------------
 Post Number: 28
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much of particle/quantum physics sounds a lot like the dogma of eastern religions.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 29
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Tao of Physics and The Dancing Wu Li Masters are both good books that explore the similarities. The difference is that quantum physics can be subjected to both mathematical and experimental scrutiny. Some of the claims for the benefits of meditation have been demonstrated with MRI scans.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah...aliens are real...god made them too...god made everything...yeah, that's the ticket.

The true power of religion is faith...you can justify anything "if you believe".

--------------
44 replies since Mar. 14 2013, 10:15 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply God Particle Confirmed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions