2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: American Economy Responds to Effective Policies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The evidence continues to grow that the economic policies being enacted and advocated by the Obama Administration are beginning to yield very good results, and as momentum builds most Americans will be much better off, money wise, at the end of the next four years.

I wonder what the Republicans will have to fear monger about then??

Here is some of the evidence I refer to:

The Commerce Department said on Tuesday that housing starts rose 0.8 percent last month to a 917,000-unit annual rate. Permits for future construction jumped 4.6 percent to a 946,000-unit rate, the quickest since June 2008.

The housing data was just the latest to suggest the economy has built a fair bit of momentum in the first quarter. Housing is helping counter the drag from tighter fiscal policy as Washington works to shrink the federal budget deficit.

"Housing will be a major contributor not just to GDP growth, but also to job creation," said Dan Heckman, a fixed income strategist at The Private Client Reserve at U.S. Bank in Kansas City, Missouri.

In February, employers added 48,000 construction jobs, the most since before the recession.

Despite the recent improvements, the Federal Reserve is expected to push forward at a meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday with plans to buy $85 billion in bonds per month until its sees a more substantial improvement in the labor market outlook.

http://www.reuters.com/article....ks=true

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Fear monger"?

Nah, they'll just advocate for a return of legallized slavery, you know, since it benefitted African Americans so much the first time.....
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe the bureaucrats at the Federal Reserve know more about what they are doing than the politicians on Capitol Hill.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least they have done pretty well during this whole recession, and have been a big part of stabilizing and then helping with new investment to get employment on the uptick again.

Could have been much worse without consistent leadership from Obama and his cabinet, supported by the Fed.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Managing the economy is where I give the Obama Administration higher points.  One only needs to compare where we are now to where we were in 2008 under Bush (which financed the wars against Iraq and Afghanistan with tax cuts).  And the GOP dare to lecture the nation about fiscal responsibility??

And if the above isn't convincing enough -- one only has to look at the EU -- with their continued mess in Greece, Spain, and now Cyprus.   Or Japan, which has been in the doldrums for two straight decades.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, that is one important area where equivalency between the parties is NOT carrying the day, neh?

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 23 2013, 11:37 am)
Well, that is one important area where equivalency between the parties is NOT carrying the day, neh?

I don't regularly view things through the prism of partisanship.

My own evaluation of the Obama administration is done mostly on its own merits.  I give it a B or maybe even a B+ for managing the economy.  As for its foreign policy -- I give it a D-.  It's been mostly disappointing.

Finally, I find the word "equivalency" used within the context meaningless.  It's a fav word used by those as a crude retort when they are criticized for their near-blind support of their own respective parties.  Does saying that neither party is always correct automatically mean that both share the blame at exactly 50:50?  ???

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, of course the blame isn't 50/50. You would have to take topic by topic and be honestly neutral.

Anyway, I bet the Economist had to swallow hard to print this in their magazine:

BARACK OBAMA and Mitt Romney have spent many months and hundreds of millions of dollars trying to convince the public that electing the other man would lead to economic catastrophe. They have fought to a draw: voters today are almost evenly split over which man would do a better job on the economy.

But whom would the experts pick? To find out, The Economist polled hundreds of professional academic and business economists. Our main finding should hearten Mr Obama. By a large margin they rate his overall economic plan more highly than Mr Romney’s, credit him with a better grasp of economics, and think him more likely to appoint a good economic team (see chart). They do not hold the perpetually disappointing recovery against him; half of respondents graded his record as good or very good, compared with just 5% who said that about George Bush in our poll four years ago. “It all depends on the counterfactual,” said Justin Wolfers, an economist at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, referring to how bad things might have been without the president’s emergency measures.

http://www.economist.com/node/21564175

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 23 2013, 12:07 pm)
Anyway, I bet the Economist had to swallow hard to print this in their magazine...

Curious, why do you think that about The Economist?

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a very conservative publication.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 23 2013, 12:24 pm)

I see.  To me, it's a different kind of conservative -- ironically, the kind that used to be called "liberal" -- as in promoting laissez faire capitalism and free enterprise.

But read their articles on non-economic topics such as women issues, abortion, homosexuality, etc. -- and The Economist is actually well to the left !  Indeed, many (if not most) northern and western Europeans view our American politics as squabbles between the conservative right (Democrats) and the extreme right (Republicans)!

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And, sadly, they have it right, uh, I mean, correct.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 23 2013, 3:30 pm)

I see.  To me, it's a different kind of conservative -- ironically, the kind that used to be called "liberal" -- as in promoting laissez faire capitalism and free enterprise.

But read their articles on non-economic topics such as women issues, abortion, homosexuality, etc. -- and The Economist is actually well to the left !  Indeed, many (if not most) northern and western Europeans view our American politics as squabbles between the conservative right (Democrats) and the extreme right (Republicans)!

Can't speak to that material. It's their economic articles that I pay attention to. When you say laissez faire, do you mean unregulated?

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 23 2013, 1:06 pm)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 23 2013, 3:30 pm)

Can't speak to that material. It's their economic articles that I pay attention to. When you say laissez faire, do you mean unregulated?

Unregulated capitalism can easily morph into a dog-eat-dog, Darwinist world -- which few people would want.  The Economist (and most all "free market" supporters) recognize that laws and proper balances are needed.  But one central tenet is the use of free market pricing to balance supply and demand -- versus state-mandated price controls.

Back in the days when states all strove to protect their own markets ("mercantilism") -- Adam Smith's theory about capitalism and free enterprise was as radical as it was liberal !   Amazing how that morphed into "conservatism".  Ah, labeling...

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok. I'm cool with that. I was concerned you might be against regulation, and men are too greedy for that.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 23 2013, 12:41 pm)
And, sadly, they have it right, uh, I mean, correct.

:D

--------------
15 replies since Mar. 20 2013, 12:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply American Economy Responds to Effective Policies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions