2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 912345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A few recent examples of why the GOP might, have a hard time attracting blacks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

example #1

A suggestion that slavery was good for African Americans received cheers and applause during a panel discussion on
race at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), the largest and most important gathering of the year
for Republican conservatives.

On Friday, March 15, during a panel discussion on Republican minority outreach entitled “Trump the Race Card,” an
audience member argued that African American icon and former slave Frederick Douglass had no reason to forgive his
former master, because slave masters had nothing to apologize for

edia reports indicate Scott Terry, an audience member and Rick Santorum supporter who claimed to speak for the
American South’s “disenfranchised whites,” claimed that slavery wasn’t such a bad thing and that “Blacks should be
happy that the slave master gave them shelter, clothing, and food.”

Terry, who identified himself as a "young, white, Southern male" complained that “my people, my demographic are
being systematically disenfranchised.” Terry suggested that rather than racial integration, racial segregation
would be a better policy, arguing that the GOP might do better "united like the hand, but separate like the fingers.”

http://www.examiner.com/article....ericans

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — A panel at the Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach
exploded into controversy on Friday afternoon, after an audience member defended slavery as good for African-Americans.

The exchange occurred after an audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans
could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans,
answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said “For what?
For feeding him and housing him?” Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst.

After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, “why can’t we just have segregation?” noting the Constitution’s
protections for freedom of association. Watch it:

[ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate
Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been “systematically
disenfranchised” by federal legislation.

When asked by ThinkProgress if he’d accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he
said “I’d be fine with that.” He also claimed that African-Americans “should be allowed to vote in Africa,” and that
“all the Tea Parties” were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.

At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party’s roots, to which Terry responded, “I didn’t know the legacy
of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”

&

In addition, a young man who wasn’t a Tea Party Patriot, made some racially insensitive comments, he said: “Blacks should
be happy that the slave master gave them shelter, clothing, and food.”
At the conclusion of the breakout session, I further
explained to him the Frederick Douglass Republican Message which he embraced, bought a book, and we left as friends.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice....utreach

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Example #2

Republican South Carolina House Member Kris Crawford

“The politics are going to overwhelm the policy. It is good politics to oppose the black guy in the White House right now,
especially for the Republican Party,”

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politic....53

--------------
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

example #3(actually this one happened in 2011 so maybe not that recent)

Arkansas Republican State Senator Jason Rapert

RAPERT: I hear you loud and clear, Barack Obama. You don’t represent the country that I grew up with. And your values
is [sic] not going to save us. We’re going to take this country back for the Lord. We’re going to try to take this
country back for conservatism. And we’re not going to allow minorities to run roughshod over what you people believe in!

http://thinkprogress.org/justice....ughshod

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another partisan.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

who are you referring to?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That slavery was good for Blacks -- is that a mainstream Republican view -- which would indeed turn Black voters away? Or is it merely a view shared by the most conservative fringe -- a minority extremist view of little weight and consequence?

The way you spend every day pouring through your worthless 'extreme' liberal sources just to highlight the most extreme conservative tidbits for mockery -- yeah, that's partisan.  And childish.  And idiotic.

I won't waste any time going 'back and forth' with you, Dennis. Just wanted to point out, again, the idiocy of your posts.  End of story.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben

as usual you're an intellectual coward

You say "Not going to waste time in any 'back and forth' with you" because you want to
take your cheap shots without having to defend your cheap shots. you KNOW you can't
offer opinions that can stand the test of logic or evidence as your latest mindless
rant shows such as when you say That slavery was good for Blacks -- is that a mainstream
Republican view -- meaning a view shared by most Republicans?

So I make a thread about why Republicans might not be attracting blacks with some examples
and that gets extrapolated(implied through a question) by this idiot by the name of ben as me
trying to suggest that slavery is a mainstream belief among Republicans

Ben then ignorantly says "from your own worthless to semi-worthless extremist liberal sources "
when NONE are "extremist liberal sources"(some are liberal but some are not and NONE are certainly
extremist). This is the kind of reckless hyperbolic rhetoric that has given you a poor reputation on
this forum. THe same kind of reckless rhetoric that caused you to compare Tom to Khomeini
who the guy who was so intolerant and fanatical that he.. Well look at my sig?

Republicans certainly are much more extreme than its been in decades(actually how about)
since 1879 so in some respect they are extreme). Just because a 47% of the population votes
for them doesn't disprove they are extreme(by that idiotic argument Hitler and the NAZIS
were not extreme).  What that says is that 47% doesn't understand how extreme the Republican
party has become because they probably don't have the historical perspective

So morons like Ben might take offense(another of saying my post was too politically incorrect for
them) at my post for just highliting facts but his offense at those facts doesn't disprove those facts

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh and BTW

I want to point out another fallacy from Ben and his use of "partisan"

here is a definition of "partisan"

: a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person; especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/partisan

so the assumption is because I make posts about how bad Republicans are that it follows that I must be
a  "adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person"? If someone really detests the Republican party does
it follow that they must then really like the Democratic party?

See this is the kind of juvenile idiotic sophistry Ben so often engages in

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So this makes two threads in a row Ben has initiated an attack on me yet according to him its me who
does this (yes I sure as hell will go on the attack after someone like Ben decides to go on the offense
first and of course Ben runs and hide after he initiates it. Typical).  More hypocrisy from Ben

regardless, what some people will do to change the subject that they would
rather ignore.

I guess some subjects are too PC for some people

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dennis, dont forget the latinos, gays, and women.

The sad part is that they know that they are self-harming themselves but wont do anything about it due to the fear of the right wing fanatical in the white pointy hats.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Mar. 19 2013, 12:01 am)
So this makes two threads in a row Ben has initiated an attack on me yet according to him its me who
does this (yes I sure as hell will go on the attack after someone like Ben decides to go on the offense
first and of course Ben runs and hide after he initiates it. Typical).  More hypocrisy from Ben

regardless, what some people will do to change the subject that they would
rather ignore.

I guess some subjects are too PC for some people

Wow. Not trying to get in Bens way, but really! Attack. Dennis, your the poster child for partisanship. And the subject isn't too PC, and may well be a valid criticism. It's just that republicans are all you ever criticise, while ignoring or making excuses for the dems. Classic partisan.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very good thread Dennis, thank you!

It is important to keep the reality of the racist, biggoted nature of the far right in the public light.  

Faux News trys to cover it up, or to disguise it, but racism is the central core for the tea hatters and other far right fringe elements which are ruling the Republican Party right now, as demonstrated in the last two elections.

As the elderly, white male numbers dwindle in America, over the next generation,this racist power will dissapear, IMO, and our country will be much better off.

Maybe the Civil War can finally be over and forgotten!

Just another partisan for America, freedom, and equal rights for all.   :blush:

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 18 2013, 11:03 pm)
That slavery was good for Blacks -- is that a mainstream Republican view -- which would indeed turn Black voters away? Or is it merely a view shared by the most conservative fringe -- a minority extremist view of little weight and consequence?

The way you spend every day pouring through your worthless 'extreme' liberal sources just to highlight the most extreme conservative tidbits for mockery -- yeah, that's partisan.  And childish.  And idiotic.

I won't waste any time going 'back and forth' with you, Dennis. Just wanted to point out, again, the idiocy of your posts.  End of story.

+ 1 well put Ben!

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 14
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might one humbly suggest that the mirror image of these quotes would be found by quoting Louis Farrakhan and his acolytes?
Whack jobs exist as either end.
Now what might be worthy debating, as it IS a common position among those more conservative in bent, is the proposition that the Democratic party is determined to keep African Americans on the Food Stamp/Section 8 housing/Disability plantation, while telling them that it is the Republicans that want to keep them down.
Considering that African Americans are among the most religious of demographics, and often socially conservative, in the long term, their points of view correspond quite nicely with the Republican party.
Kudos to the Dems for their work in convincing African Americans that those nasty, KKK hood wearing Republicans are just mean and hate black folk, while us benevolent Dems will keep the free stuff coming.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:06 am)
Very good thread Dennis, thank you!

It is important to keep the reality of the racist, biggoted nature of the far right in the public light.  

Faux News trys to cover it up, or to disguise it, but racism is the central core for the tea hatters and other far right fringe elements which are ruling the Republican Party right now, as demonstrated in the last two elections.

As the elderly, white male numbers dwindle in America, over the next generation,this racist power will dissapear, IMO, and our country will be much better off.

Maybe the Civil War can finally be over and forgotten!

Just another partisan for America, freedom, and equal rights for all.   :blush:

Faux news does cover stuff up. And so does MSNBC. Partisans will never get this. There are racist and bigoted people in the middle, on the far right, on the left of center, on the right of center, on the far left and all points in between. Sometimes they are teachers, sometimes carpenters, sometimes bankers, clergy, and politicians and on, and on. To depict the Republican Party as "thee" home of racist bigoted people and they can be found nowhere else, is..............partisan. Might they be a little more overtly so? The argument might be made, but be a more equal opportunity critic and call the dems on it when it happens. It will earn you great interest, dividends and credibility.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Mar. 19 2013, 12:03 pm)
Might one humbly suggest that the mirror image of these quotes would be found by quoting Louis Farrakhan and his acolytes?
Whack jobs exist as either end.
Now what might be worthy debating, as it IS a common position among those more conservative in bent, is the proposition that the Democratic party is determined to keep African Americans on the Food Stamp/Section 8 housing/Disability plantation, while telling them that it is the Republicans that want to keep them down.
Considering that African Americans are among the most religious of demographics, and often socially conservative, in the long term, their points of view correspond quite nicely with the Republican party.
Kudos to the Dems for their work in convincing African Americans that those nasty, KKK hood wearing Republicans are just mean and hate black folk, while us benevolent Dems will keep the free stuff coming.

Very good buzzards, a point well made.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"As the elderly, white male numbers dwindle in America, over the next generation,this racist power will dissapear, IMO, and our country will be much better off."

Not necessarily: having set the terms of governance it may just be a "now it's our turn" sort of transition. Plently of examples of that out in the world and there's a lot of domestic rhetoric that promises just that.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:03 am)

Yup, exploiting the penchant of the American people for their simplistic black/white, right/wrong, yes/no thinking.

The Democrats present themselves as the Party of Yes.  And the Democrats skillfully force the Republicans into a corner.  Fiscal responsibility? Pffft... just the Party of No and the Party of Hate.

ONLY IDIOTS will buy that lock, stock and barrel -- and we have about a half dozen hard core IDIOTS right here on this branch!

But is the GOP merely a victim of Democrat malice?  Sadly, no.  Fiscal responsibility?  Yes, a much needed concept for which we as a nation lacks almost all discipline to achieve. BUT just the fact that it's now being championed by the GOP generates distrust and outright mockery.  Why?

Because it was BUSH AND THE GOP that financed their stupid wars with tax cuts!!  So what credibility do they have now -- to block aid to hurricane victims because suddenly, more spending needs to be met by more cuts first?  Good concept, actually, in light of our already deep fiscal hole -- but no creditbility!!

Given the current situation and the state of both parties -- that folks can be such ardent supporters of either one just boggles the mind.

And yes, to spend hours and days pulling out the extremes of one party for mockery is just more idiocy and partisanship -- both completely unhelpful, to say the least.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 19 2013, 12:28 pm)

(buzzards @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:03 am)

Yup, exploiting the penchant of the American people for their simplistic black/white, right/wrong, yes/no thinking.

The Democrats present themselves as the Party of Yes.  And the Democrats skillfully force the Republicans into a corner.  Fiscal responsibility? Pffft... just the Party of No and the Party of Hate.

ONLY IDIOTS will buy that lock, stock and barrel -- and we have about a half dozen hard core IDIOTS right here on this branch!

But is the GOP merely a victim of Democrat malice?  Sadly, no.  Fiscal responsibility?  Yes, a much needed concept for which we as a nation lacks almost all discipline to achieve. BUT just the fact that it's now being championed by the GOP generates distrust and outright mockery.  Why?

Because it was BUSH AND THE GOP that financed their stupid wars with tax cuts!!  So what credibility do they have now -- to block aid to hurricane victims because suddenly, more spending needs to be met by more cuts first?  Good concept, actually, in light of our already deep fiscal hole -- but no creditbility!!

Given the current situation and the state of both parties -- that folks can be such ardent supporters of either one just boggles the mind.

And yes, to spend hours and days pulling out the extremes of one party for mockery is just more idiocy and partisanship -- both completely unhelpful, to say the least.

What is idiotic is to not know what the term "partisanship" means

What is idiotic is to pretend examples of Republican extremism are just isolated examples

What is idiotic is to pretend or imply that today's current manifestation of the Republicans
isn't different from previous ones.

Continue on with your idiocy Ben

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montecresto said

Wow. Not trying to get in Bens way, but really! Attack. Dennis, your the poster child for
partisanship. And the subject isn't too PC, and may well be a valid criticism. It's just
that republicans are all you ever criticise, while ignoring or making excuses for the dems.
Classic partisan.

Yes Attack. Ben has been making big deal recently about me "attacking"(although often its
usually in response to someone attacking me like that last thread) yet look at him attacking
me again. What a hypocrite

beyond that it certainly is interesting that if you think it might be a valid criticism why
you're spending so much time trying to change the subject. How does your belief I'm partisan
have anything to do the subject matter?

Now as for this accusation I'm partisan. Did you not see post #8?  Look at it very
carefully. Give me proof that a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person;
especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance
?

No because I'm critical of one party or faction in particular doesn't meant therefore that
I adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person; especially : one exhibiting blind,
prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance
to anything. Because someone might really detest
Republicans far more than democrats, for example, does mean they really like Democrats?

Can't you apply even basic thinking skills?

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

buzzards said

Might one humbly suggest that the mirror image of these quotes would be found by quoting
Louis Farrakhan and his acolytes? Whack jobs exist as either end.

Louis Farrakhan isn't a Democratic politician and oh ya look at this

The Democratic Party denounced Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan today for suggesting
vice presidential candidate Joseph Lieberman, an Orthodox Jew, may be more loyal to Israel
than to the United States.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=123159&page=1

It is tiresome to listen to people make these false equivalences trying to put the Republican
party and the Democratic party on the same level when it comes to the number of "whack jobs"
as if their is an equivalence. No there isn't.

buzzards said

Now what might be worthy debating, as it IS a common position among those more conservative
in bent, is the proposition that the Democratic party is determined to keep African
Americans on the Food Stamp/Section 8 housing/Disability plantation, while telling them that
it is the Republicans that want to keep them down.

Ya I know its a common position among those more conservative in bent and its pretty
silly to

I would like to see any evidence of this conspiracy that Democrats have this plan to keep
African Americans on the Food Stamp/Section 8 housing/Disability plantation, while telling
them that it is the Republicans that want to keep them down.

Furthermore if politicians care about power more than anything else then its seems logical
that they would pander to those with power and money since those are the ones that can
give in large amounts to the parties.

The idea that trying to appeal to people that have relatively little power to gain power
is absurd.

buzzards said

So what you're essentially saying is that African Americans are just to stupid to realize
that Democrats have been duping them and everytime they see examples like I just mentioned
,those polling #'s that show significant percentages of Repulicans think Obama wasn't
born in the US, how this CPAC convention gives more air time to Trump than anyone else
who probably was pushing these birther conspiracies than anyone else, Republicans pushing
legislation clearly motivated by birther conspiracies, you have birthers speaking at
the Republican convention, etc... that every time they see examples like the above, they
are just imagining something that doesn't exist

"while us benevolent Dems will keep the free stuff coming."

Please buzzards. You're being ridiculous

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So Dennis, are you now attacking buzzards??  Or are you actually attacking what he posted?

Same here.  Not attacking you the person, Dennis.  Just attacking the idiocy of your never-ending partisan postings -- esp. THIS ONE -- where you had to dig out the most extreme of GOP views to "wonder" if that will drive people (i.e. Blacks) away.  If this were more of a mainstream view, then yes.  But just the source where you linked your OP -- makes it both partisan and idiotic.

And no, I wasn't attacking you at all.  Pity for your inability to distinguish.  Again, saying my piece.  Not gonna waste time going back and forth with you.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 19 2013, 1:00 pm)

So Dennis, are you now attacking buzzards??  Or are you actually attacking what he posted?

Same here.  Not attacking you the person, Dennis.  Just attacking the idiocy of your never-ending partisan postings -- esp. THIS ONE -- where you had to dig out the most extreme of GOP views to "wonder" if that will drive people (i.e. Blacks) away.  If this were more of a mainstream view, then yes.  But just the source where you linked your OP -- makes it both partisan and idiotic.

And no, I wasn't attacking you at all.  Pity for your inability to distinguish.  Again, saying my piece.  Not gonna waste time going back and forth with you.

speaking of idiocy you still aren't using the term "partisan' correctly

Speaking of idiocy, ben says again "Not gonna waste time going back and forth with you." but yet here is doing just that.

Now that is idiocy

Well at least ben continued on with his idiocy like I said in post 19. LOL!!

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh and if this isn't attacking

The way you spend every day pouring through your worthless 'extreme' liberal sources just to
highlight the most extreme conservative tidbits for mockery -- yeah, that's partisan.  And
childish.  And idiotic.

I won't waste any time going 'back and forth' with you, Dennis. Just wanted to point out,
again, the idiocy of your posts.  End of story.

but only attacking the posts and that somehow my "attacking" is different then I would say
this is yet another example of your idiocy as well as hypocrisy

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I said

Furthermore if politicians care about power more than anything else then its seems logical
that they would pander to those with power and money since those are the ones that can
give in large amounts to the parties.

Just to expand on the above, Larry Bartels a of vanderbelt(formerly of Princeton) did
a study on "Economic Inequality and Political Representation" and this is what he came to
conclude

I examine the differential responsiveness of U.S. senators to the preferences of wealthy,
middle- class, and poor constituents. My analysis includes broad summary measures of
senators’ voting behavior as well as specific votes on the minimum wage, civil rights,
government spending, and abortion. In almost every instance, senators appear to be
considerably more responsive to the opinions of affluent constituents than to the opinions of
middle-class constituents, while the opinions of constituents in the bottom third of the
income distribution have no apparent statistical effect on their senators’ roll call votes.
Disparities in representation are especially pronounced for Republican senators, who were
more than twice as responsive as Democratic senators to the ideological views of affluent
constituents.
These income-based disparities in representation appear to be unrelated to
disparities in turnout and political knowledge and only weakly related to disparities in the
extent of constituents’ contact with senators and their staffs.

http://www.princeton.edu/~bartels/economic.pdf

So I think just its absurd this conspiracy theory that conservatives have that in order to keep
power, Democrats want to pander to poor blacks by supposedly get them hooked on
government dependency as if there are scores of poor dependent blacks that vote in high
numbers and who have the bucks to donate to a politicians war chest for the next election.

Please.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"But just the source where you linked your OP.."

So you don't dispute the acuracy of the quotes. Which are, after all, the factual basis for the issue.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 19 2013, 10:20 am)

So you don't dispute the acuracy of the quotes. Which are, after all, the factual basis for the issue.

CNN is famously known for reporting facts but failing to give accurate perspectives of the cultures, politics, etc. of the countries that they report on.  And all these years of trying, I have successfully convinced exactly ONE couple to travel to Israel -- because most all others are too afraid...

So my dispute is the endless mocking of one side against another -- picking on the most ridiculous for added effect -- which often means digging deep for the most extreme views -- which is exactly what this thread is.

Does not bode well for any democratic society where people need to compromise -- change what they can -- and accept each other.  As for posts like this?  Idiotic.  And childish too.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So is ben saying there is some doubt that those aren factual? That those sources made
it up even when some of it is on video? BTW, www.examiner.com actually leans to the right.
Thinkprogress is the only source there that leans to the left and it isn't and "extreme"
? What is extreme about Thinkprogress? I suppose the Atlantic might slightly lean to the
left but certainly isn't extreme

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 19 2013, 1:31 pm)

CNN is famously known for reporting facts but failing to give accurate perspective.  And all these years of trying, I have successfully convinced ONE couple to travel to Israel -- because most all others are too afraid...

So my dispute is the endless mocking of one side against another -- picking on the most ridiculous for added effect -- which often means digging deep for the most extreme views -- which is exactly what this thread is.

Does not bode well for any democratic society where people need to compromise -- change what they can -- and accept each other.  As for posts like this?  Idiotic.  And childish too.

You keep on repeating this mindless brainless talking point "So my dispute is the endless
mocking of one side against another -- picking on the most ridiculous for added effect"

Get some new material and for once put some real though into your posts instead of the
usual superfical platitudes

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Mar. 19 2013, 10:33 am)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 19 2013, 1:31 pm)

CNN is famously known for reporting facts but failing to give accurate perspective.  And all these years of trying, I have successfully convinced ONE couple to travel to Israel -- because most all others are too afraid...

You keep on repeating this mindless brainless talking point "So my dispute is the endless
mocking of one side against another -- picking on the most ridiculous for added effect"

Get some new material and for once put some real though into your posts instead of the
usual superfical platitudes

How?  If you, Dennis, keep posting the same tired subject for people to respond to?   Which was my point all along.  :;):

--------------
261 replies since Mar. 18 2013, 9:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 912345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A few recent examples of why the GOP might
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions