2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Another Gun Owner Who Sees the Light< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 7:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is great, Stephen King sounds a whole lot like me!

Wish I could discuss smart gun technology with him.

In the wake of Sandy Hook, I wrote an essay called “Guns,” and published it as a Kindle Single — an e-book, in other words — because I wanted to be a part of the discussion before the whole subject slipped from the consciousness (and consciences) of the American people. It has a way of doing that, you know; the National Rifle Association counts on it.

What I asked for in that piece — what I almost begged for — was that we Americans find some middle ground on the subject of heavy-duty firearms. Just a small median strip of rationality between the honking freeway lanes jammed with those on the political right and the political left. According to polls, the majority of Americans would really like a place like that, where a rational discussion could be held without raised voices.

I pointed out that I’m dead against repeal of the Second Amendment, since I’m a gun owner myself. I also pointed out that a deer hunter who feels it necessary to go into the woods armed with a 30-round AR-15 must either have poor aim or is afraid the deer are going to fight back. I refused to go on any of the cable news programs — both those on the right that would have been happy to attack me or the ones on the left that would have been delighted to praise me.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013....iolence

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Steven King?

LOL

:)

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is King's opinion on the subject be worth more than mine?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not. But it's as valid. But.....if he wants to keep the second amendment in the, "it was added for hunting rights" then it's lacking a little.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 5
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 23 2013, 7:52 pm)
This is great, Stephen King sounds a whole lot like me!

Wish I could discuss smart gun technology with him.

You really should

After all, he writes fiction  :laugh:

Just another ignorant soul that thinks the 2A is about hunting

Good author....needs to do more research for this piece

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 23 2013, 10:03 pm)

Well for one thing his fiction is less frightening than what you believe to be non-fiction.

Here's what I see as the most relevant point he makes in the article.

Here’s another depressing factoid: Most of the five-star reviews of “Guns” are marked “Amazon Verified Purchase,” which means the reviewer actually bought the download and (presumably) read it. That’s the case with very few of the one-star reviews, suggesting that the reviewers either read excerpts in a newspaper article or didn’t read it at all. There are assertions that my facts are wrong but little in the way of backing evidence.
 Post Number: 7
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guns with batteries?  No thanks.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 8
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This Steven King?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb....im.html

Think he may be having a flash back! :D

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice to have someone who commands celebrity attention, and uses ink by the barrelful, arguing on the side of common sense, rationality and saftey for both gun users and non-users.

Keep up the good work, Stephen King!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

His argument is common sense, rational and safe only because you agree with him. But he's arguing an equation between hunting and the second, so.........

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, very true.  

That is pretty much the same rationale that I, my friends and my family, all have for wanting our guns, plus defense of our homes in case of need.

Completley missing on our radar is some cockamamy thought that we will be needing our guns to resist the US Army when they take over the government, or any other insane scenario where our guns would somehow protect our freedom from encroachment by our elected government in either Washington, D.C. or the state capitol.

That kind of theory is for gun nut paranoids, whose picture of the world is stuck in the 18th Century, and it scares the bejabbers out of regular, law abiding working Americans who happen to like having our guns for purely personal purposes.

YMMV, obviously!   :angry:

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Celebrity and celebrity status is fleeting and in general meaningless.
The vast majority of celebs are neither more or less intelligent than the "unwashed" they just have more attention...sometimes good other times not so much.

I pay little to no attention to what any celeb does or says in their personal lives...their opinions are no more valid than mine and like a...holes we all have them and generally they stink.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 26 2013, 6:29 pm)
Yes, very true.  

That is pretty much the same rationale that I, my friends and my family, all have for wanting our guns, plus defense of our homes in case of need.

Completley missing on our radar is some cockamamy thought that we will be needing our guns to resist the US Army when they take over the government, or any other insane scenario where our guns would somehow protect our freedom from encroachment by our elected government in either Washington, D.C. or the state capitol.

That kind of theory is for gun nut paranoids, whose picture of the world is stuck in the 18th Century, and it scares the bejabbers out of regular, law abiding working Americans who happen to like having our guns for purely personal purposes.

Ah, so you too think the second amendment was added for hunter rights, ok.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I think that it was added, in the 18th Century, as a means of having a standby militia that was available fairly quickly to repel foreign invaders when the government needed that kind of support.  

For instance, the way they were called and fought in the War of 1812, and in the Civil War.

I think that they are completely outdated today, and I think that our gun rights are for personal use in hunting, target shooting and home defense.  

I also think that the 2nd Amendment should be completley rewritten and readopted to reflect the reality of life in the 21st Century, but that is hard to do, and it is very much not supported by the NRA and the arms manufacturers who want to maximize their profits from scaring the gun nuts into buying lots of new guns and unneeded ammo.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 27 2013, 1:41 pm)
No, I think that it was added, in the 18th Century, as a means of having a standby militia that was available fairly quickly to repel foreign invaders when the government needed that kind of support.  

For instance, the way they were called and fought in the War of 1812, and in the Civil War.

I think that they are completely outdated today, and I think that our gun rights are for personal use in hunting, target shooting and home defense.  

I also think that the 2nd Amendment should be completley rewritten and readopted to reflect the reality of life in the 21st Century, but that is hard to do, and it is very much not supported by the NRA and the arms manufacturers who want to maximize their profits from scaring the gun nuts into buying lots of new guns and unneeded ammo.

You're trying to interject some common-sense, and it's  too late for that.

Eventually, high school kids will be legally totin', or, only soldiers will carry weapons....chances for a sensible middle-ground are disappearing, thanks to the extremists on both sides.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 16
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just would like to point out that gun owners never 'see the light'. They only 'see the muzzle flash'.

He just can't see the obvious, can he?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sadly, I agree, and I hate it.

Gun control will be implemented, as a matter of self preservation, and the way things are shaping now, private gun ownership will be so limited as to be useless for most people, and all because the gun nuts and the NRA are not willing to make sensible compromises that would provide access to guns for hunting and self protection.

What a country!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 27 2013, 1:41 pm)

Lets just rewrite the entire constitution for the 21st. Century. And lets have a prohibition on US imperialism and hegemony, responsible for the loss of far more  innocent life.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, now I understand.  This will be your super effective campaign to shut down the corporate oligarchs.

You must be suffering some serious sleep deprivation with all that activity, and posting here for hours a day to boot.

You the man, Monte!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bionic man. Ill sleep when I'm dead.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a plan!

You the man, Monte!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 22
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 28 2013, 12:30 pm)
Just would like to point out that gun owners never 'see the light'. They only 'see the muzzle flash'.

He just can't see the obvious, can he?

A snide comment is not an answer.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montana, get a clue.  

His opinion is not worth anymore than your opinion, but his opinion will be heard, and listened to, by many thousands more than your opinion will be.

Plus he is a very articulate and prolific writer whose credibility is way above your credibility or my credibility.  That is why I am very pleased to find that he generally agrees with my opinion on this subject matter, and that he is spreading his opinion to a wide readership, many of whom will be persuaded by his words.

And I would pretty much bet that you can expect the next couple of Stephen King books to have a message positing the need for gun control and the diminution of violence in America.  I like that, and I agree with that.

See how that works, much better than just you and I yammering at each other when we both already have our minds made up??

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 24
FranklinsGhost Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, very true.  

You should have the foresight to recognize that just because you see a particular valid use for firearms in your life that not all gun owners will agree with you...and nothing makes them wrong for seeing uses of firearms that differs from your own. Nothing makes me sicker than seeing opinionated gun owners who think that only their use of firearms is the proper one. For instance, old bolt action hunters who knock modern military pattern rifles. The old guys don't even recognize that until WW1, their favorite bolt action designs were looked down upon by American gun owners as a European design unworthy of use in the USA.

As for your comments about who gun owners might be resisting...Jefferson himself advocated a revolution every generation or so. This wasn't a fight against an outside entity. The American people own firearms in order to resist tyranny from outside of and from within our own borders. The ability of the American citizen to resist domestic tyrants through the cartridge box is the last failsafe to protect our liberty, after the soap box and the ballot box have failed. If you can't think it could ever happen here, you are dreaming. It took less than a lifespan for Germany to turn from a respected European power to throwing people into the ovens. Nothing prevents that here except for our ability to resist potential tyrants. Hitler was popularly elected, so the electoral process alone cannot guarantee the preservation of personal liberty.

Stephen King is a hack. His characters are flat, his story telling is weak. In almost all of his books he has some glimmers of original thought, but inevitably he cannot wrap up the story well. His film adaptations are invariably poor because he insists of having too much influence in the process. The original Shining was the one exception to that, and he hated that film adaptation more than any other.

Quite frankly I am surprised to hear that he owns any guns, as I haven't seen him mention guns favorably in any of his writings.
 Post Number: 25
GunRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe you should read all the Federalist papers written by some of our founding fathers. They had, after all, just come out of a Revolution, with an oppressive tyrannical government. It's not about hunting, it's about keeping the government in check and defending yourself and your family against criminals and the evil in the world, the evil which cannot be legislated away. Hunting was a way of life back then, you hunted or you went hungry, no supermarkets on every corner back in the day.

It's a shame sandy hook and other such shootings happened, but the people killed there are a tiny tiny number when compared to the 260+ million murdered by their own governments last century. Ask hitler, stalin, mao, and the others how great gun control is. It wasnt for the kids, it was for power and control. Tiannamen Square, kid getting run over by a tank, just for protesting. Not in my country while I still breathe. Just because a couple of idiots who got voted in by a bunch of other freeloading idiots say its "common sense" doesn't mean it's a good idea.
 Post Number: 26
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "New World Order" requires an un-armed populace.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 27
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like the Klan is back from their rally in Memphis!
"Klan Protests Renaming of 3 Confederate Parks in Memphis"

Hey! Missed you guys!
 Post Number: 28
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 28 2013, 1:31 pm)
Gun control will be implemented, as a matter of self preservation, and the way things are shaping now, private gun ownership will be so limited as to be useless for most people, and all because the gun nuts and the NRA are not willing to make sensible compromises that would provide access to guns for hunting and self protection.

What a country!

Why would you think that?

There has been a historic roll back of ineffective gun restrictions as well as a historic expansion of concealed carry laws over the last decade.

Meanwhile crime has dropped in the USA dramatically. I'm not arguing that crime dropped due to more liberal gun laws but certainly the loosening up of the restrictions didn't cause crime to rise.

Even with the President and Senate tilting at the gun control windmill the tide is against them (mixed metephore alert!) The laws across the country are moving toward more liberty in general. This summer the last state in the union without conceal carry allowances will have legal conceal carry (Illinois).

Too much liberty is not the problem in the United States.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 29
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Mar. 31 2013, 7:24 am)

(wwwest @ Mar. 28 2013, 1:31 pm)

What a country!

Why would you think that?

There has been a historic roll back of ineffective gun restrictions as well as a historic expansion of concealed carry laws over the last decade.

Meanwhile crime has dropped in the USA dramatically.

Yes, Ron has the right stats on that one, though demographers are kind of certain it's due to an aging population mostly*.  Thus, I don't mind if a sane, upstanding citizen has a weapon, ... it is when they become unhinged or have a crazy family member with access that needs to be addressed.  It's only a matter a time (and some Darwin awards) before 3-D printed weapons (and accessories) are improved to the point they are viable, so we need to get our act together as a society.

*Financially-oriented crimes OTOH are gaining in number and sophistication, especially online.  Not to mention the worsening health of most Americans but another topic for another time.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FranklinsGhost @ Mar. 31 2013, 8:03 am)

Yes, very true.  

You should have the foresight to recognize that just because you see a particular valid use for firearms in your life that not all gun owners will agree with you...and nothing makes them wrong for seeing uses of firearms that differs from your own. Nothing makes me sicker than seeing opinionated gun owners who think that only their use of firearms is the proper one. For instance, old bolt action hunters who knock modern military pattern rifles. The old guys don't even recognize that until WW1, their favorite bolt action designs were looked down upon by American gun owners as a European design unworthy of use in the USA.

As for your comments about who gun owners might be resisting...Jefferson himself advocated a revolution every generation or so. This wasn't a fight against an outside entity. The American people own firearms in order to resist tyranny from outside of and from within our own borders. The ability of the American citizen to resist domestic tyrants through the cartridge box is the last failsafe to protect our liberty, after the soap box and the ballot box have failed. If you can't think it could ever happen here, you are dreaming. It took less than a lifespan for Germany to turn from a respected European power to throwing people into the ovens. Nothing prevents that here except for our ability to resist potential tyrants. Hitler was popularly elected, so the electoral process alone cannot guarantee the preservation of personal liberty.

Stephen King is a hack. His characters are flat, his story telling is weak. In almost all of his books he has some glimmers of original thought, but inevitably he cannot wrap up the story well. His film adaptations are invariably poor because he insists of having too much influence in the process. The original Shining was the one exception to that, and he hated that film adaptation more than any other.

Quite frankly I am surprised to hear that he owns any guns, as I haven't seen him mention guns favorably in any of his writings.

Very, very good FG!

--------------
41 replies since Mar. 23 2013, 7:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Another Gun Owner Who Sees the Light
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions