2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sedgwick Maine, food sovereignty< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 9:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NaturalNews) There is a food revolution taking hold all over America, whether it is in the form of demanding labeling of GM foods, the right to produce and sell raw milk and other commodities, or - in the case of Sedgwick, Maine - declaring all local food transactions of any kind free and legal.

According to the website FoodRenegade.com, Sedgwick is the first city in the U.S. to free itself from the constraints of federal and state food regulation. Published reports say the town has passed an ordinance that gives its citizens the right "to produce, sell, purchase, and consume local foods of their choosing," regulations be damned. The ordinance includes raw milk, meats that are slaughtered locally, all produce and just about anything else you might imagine.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/039633_....kMjjBpI

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They'll all be dead within a year.

:D

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Self determination is a bitch isn't it? Someone recently noted.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, that secession thingy really worked out well for the South, neh?  LOL

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a genuine existential dilemma. The FDA and Dept. of Agriculture are failing us, and at the same time corporate agriculture is lying to us as well as poisoning us. My neighbor could be saving the planet and ensuring the health of my neighborhoods children or be as big a threat to health as anything. My local farmers market is healthy and well policed, but it may be an exception and not the norm. How far do you have to look, to know that everyone doesn't do the right thing?

It's not all black and white. Some GMO's are probably good, while some are probably bad. We have been modifying the genetics of organisms for tens of thousands of years. The worst thing about people, is that they pass judgement without knowing all of the facts.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a bad point you make at all. As to Sedgwick's self determination regarding food. I have no problem with it. Raw milk, so what, some people get sick someday, same thing we do with USDA and FDA "approved" suppliers. Recalls, inspections etc.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the same spirit I would hope they'd declare all speed limits and such oppressive outside requirements such as functionning vehicular brakes be releived from the citizens.

Would madam care for an extra helping of a neurotoxin pesticide with her potoatos? A side of Sarin to add some piquancy?

Granted they'll save a ton of money on getting rid of those refrigerators: allegedly "safe" food storage is so oversold. Rotten food is simply a bit "pre-digested". A service were one to consider it.... Like when parent Seagulls throw up into their chick's mouths.

And to add to the excitement the moldy rye will give them really super hallucinations. Salem gave ergot alkaloid poisening an unreasonably bad name, IMHO.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's, very funny! Point taken as well.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 27 2013, 5:07 pm)
And to add to the excitement the moldy rye will give them really super hallucinations. Salem gave ergot alkaloid poisening an unreasonably bad name, IMHO.

Geez - I'm 20 minutes south of Salem and never knew that part of the story.  Interesting!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 27 2013, 2:41 pm)

Geez - I'm 20 minutes south of Salem and never knew that part of the story.  Interesting!

The religious intolerance gets the big play but the flying people etc. fits with Rye ergot poisenings in villages in France and other places that suffered from improperly stored rye grains. The mold that grows on the rye produces close relatives of LSD as well as LSD itself: the hallucinations from such poisening fits with a portion of the Salem witch stories.

IIRC Rye is an attractive grain because it grows in colder climates than early wheat strains, but it has this risk.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-ergotism-salem.html

"But what caused the Salem witch hunt?  Certainly ignorance, religious zealotry, vengeance, and mass hysteria all played a role.  But what was the initial stimulus?  What caused the bucolic denizens of Salem to exhibit such inexplicable behaviors?  Encephalitis, Huntington’s Chorea, and schizophrenia have all been suspected.  But according to research by psychologist Linnda Caporael of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York, it was a good ole fashioned fungus, ergot to be precise.  Ergot is a fungus that affects grains and grasses.  Rye is particularly vulnerable to developing ergot and was the staple grain for the citizens of Salem."

A more general botanical history:
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wong/BOT135/LECT12.HTM
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One assumes that all good, organic, non-GMO drugs will also be on the open market in Sedgwick too.

A step in the right direction, according to Rand Paul!!   :blush:

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 27 2013, 2:41 pm)

The radical vegan agenda suppresses such truth.

Plants are NOT our friends.
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 27 2013, 3:55 pm)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes me want to play the movie.  I need a little shop of horrors today!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 27 2013, 6:02 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 27 2013, 3:55 pm)

Now it all makes sense!! That's totally one of the exhibits in Salem around Halloween.  Tough to find among all the witchcraft history.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
14 replies since Mar. 27 2013, 9:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sedgwick Maine, food sovereignty
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions