2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ammo not making it to the shelf< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At Blue Steel Guns & Ammunition in Raytown, the ammo truck rolls into the parking lot on Fridays. Last week, a crowd of customers was waiting for the shipment, and all 60 boxes of .22-caliber and 9 mm ammunition — thousands of rounds — were gone in 18 minutes.

“They never even made it to the shelves,” said owner Steve Brackeen. “We just had enough time to slap a price on them and sell. And we ran out before everybody in line got some.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013....ink=cpy

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The billion rounds for the DHS comes to 238 rounds per month (70,000 agents, 5 years). Practise pactise practise, whther heading for Carnegie Hall or not.
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:08 pm)
At Blue Steel Guns & Ammunition in Raytown, the ammo truck rolls into the parking lot on Fridays. Last week, a crowd of customers was waiting for the shipment, and all 60 boxes of .22-caliber and 9 mm ammunition — thousands of rounds — were gone in 18 minutes.

“They never even made it to the shelves,” said owner Steve Brackeen. “We just had enough time to slap a price on them and sell. And we ran out before everybody in line got some.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013....ink=cpy

60 boxes isn't all that much.  Seems kind of a hyped story to me.  I'm sure they went quickly, driven by the same fear that's driving most the TPA discussions these days.

Anyhoo, a shipment of 60 boxes going quickly doesn't seem all that newsworthy.  They make it sound like a whole truckload.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dude! 60 BOXES, think cases and thousands of rounds.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In another incident:

That day, one customer ordered 32,000 rounds of ammunition from SelwayArmory.com, worth close to $18,000. The order had to be shipped from the company’s Lolo, Mont., office to Kentucky on a freight truck.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012....assacre

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:46 pm)

DUDE!

Box:

60x50 = 3000 rounds.  You could double it and one guy can still hand-carry the entire shipment in one trip.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:50 pm)
In another incident:

That day, one customer ordered 32,000 rounds of ammunition from SelwayArmory.com, worth close to $18,000. The order had to be shipped from the company’s Lolo, Mont., office to Kentucky on a freight truck.

One customer bought a lot of ammo.

The ammo manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank, y'know.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The caller wanted to know whether Lloyd Cook had any 9 mm ammunition in stock.

“I asked him how much did he want,” said Cook, owner of an Independence gun range, “and he said, ‘All of it.’”

Across the country, bullets are flying off store shelves as people stockpile ammunition.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3001583/posts

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:54 pm)

“I asked him how much did he want,” said Cook, owner of an Independence gun range, “and he said, ‘All of it.’”

Across the country, bullets are flying off store shelves as people stockpile ammunition.

Again, the manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

A lot of folks have gotten whipped up into a paranoid frenzy.  That's really all I'm getting from this.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To me, the cases are just outward symptoms.

What's more worrisome is the underlying insecurity and violence in our society today.  Although truth be told, are people really being murdered left and right?  No.  But people let themselves get carried away -- time and time again -- by media hype.  Still boils down to the insecurity felt by so many today.  Sigh...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good news is that most of this excess ammo will molder away in some basement or garage storage shelf, and never be fired.

I'll bet that the NRA bonus for this little marketing coup will be mind boggling.

Almost like hitting the lottery!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:57 pm)
To me, the cases are just outward symptoms.

What's more worrisome is the underlying insecurity and violence in our society today.  Although truth be told, are people really being murdered left and right?  No.  But people let themselves get carried away -- time and time again -- by media hype.  Still boils down to that insecurity felt by so many today.  Sigh...

Agreed.  That "media hype" is all this thread actually is, sadly enough.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ammo, and guns, have been flying off the shelves for over 5 years now.  Ever since Dear Leader won the bid the first go round.  He was flagged as a gun grabber long ago.  I only pay cash for ammo nowadays.  It's less tracable that way for the legitimate gun owner.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 28 2013, 4:56 pm)

A lot of folks have gotten whipped up into a paranoid frenzy.  That's really all I'm getting from this.

That's all your suppose to get from this. The point of the op is, ammo is flying off the shelves, and it is. You may not know it but gun stores everywhere are posting one box per customer per day limits.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:03 pm)

That's all your suppose to get from this. The point of the op is, ammo is flying off the shelves, and it is. You may not know it but gun stores everywhere are posting one box per customer per day limits.

I suspect you & I would differ in opinion about what the supposed "cause" of all the paranoia actually is.  But that's just a suspicion.

And again, 60 boxes isn't really newsworthy, unless someone is actively "looking" for a story to hype.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL

And the rednecks think that Liberals are sheep!!

The NRA has the gun nuts in a totally irrational panic that is mind boggling in its scope and depth.

The good news is that all these panic sales help the economy in general.  Full employment for arms manufacturers.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OverUnder @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:00 pm)
Ammo, and guns, have been flying off the shelves for over 5 years now.  Ever since Dear Leader won the bid the first go round.  He was flagged as a gun grabber long ago.  I only pay cash for ammo nowadays.  It's less tracable that way for the legitimate gun owner.

Yes, folks were predicting widespread rioting and looting back then.  Didn't happen at all.  That ammo are still flying off the shelves just show how 'rational' some people are...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 28 2013, 5:05 pm)

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:03 pm)

I suspect you & I would differ in opinion about what the supposed "cause" of all the paranoia actually is.  But that's just a suspicion.

And again, 60 boxes isn't really newsworthy, unless someone is actively "looking" for a story to hype.

I didn't speak to the cause, and the one Miami store is a microcosm of what's happening across the country. But minimise it if you wish.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope a big percentage of that ammuniiton is getting used at the range.

Handgun in particlar proficiency is very perishable.

Gotta maintain that "gun control".
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:29 pm)
I hope a big percentage of that ammuniiton is getting used at the range.

Am I just evil - picturing buyers practicing on each other?  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

EVIL!  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 22
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 1:54 pm)
Across the country, bullets are flying off store shelves

Well, I sure hope they don't hit anyone!
:O

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 23
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a semi-interested observer (politically conservative but do not own a gun), I find it fascinating to see a substantial minority of Americans arming themselves in response to a political pipe dream.
Yes, I think that Obama would like to put some tight restrictions on firearms, but anyone not peering through red or blue goggles can see that there is not the votes to do it, and that whether he likes it or not, BO cannot crown himself king.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure he can.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:51 pm)

DUDE!

Box:

60x50 = 3000 rounds.  You could double it and one guy can still hand-carry the entire shipment in one trip.

Except dealers don't receive ammo in boxes like that. They get cases.

9mm case lots typically comes 20 boxes of 50 each for 1000 rounds.
.22LR can come a few different ways. 10 boxes of 333 for 3330 rounds or 10 or 20 "bricks" of 500 or 525 rounds in a case for totals of 5000/5250 or 10,000/10,500 rounds.

So most probably cases and not boxes, particularly since this reporter has no clue that ammo isn't just "bullets" but rather cartridges (or shells).

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 28 2013, 5:16 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:51 pm)

DUDE!

Box:

Except dealers don't receive ammo in boxes like that. They get cases.

9mm case lots typically comes 20 boxes of 50 each for 1000 rounds.
.22LR can come a few different ways. 10 boxes of 333 for 3330 rounds or 10 or 20 "bricks" of 500 or 525 rounds in a case for totals of 5000/5250 or 10,000/10,500 rounds.

So most probably cases and not boxes, particularly since this reporter has no clue that ammo isn't just "bullets" but rather cartridges (or shells).

It was 9mm ammo. Unless you know of 9mm shotgun shells about which I'm unaware, they were bullets.  And it didn't specify cases, the hyped story (put there to fuel the paranoia of those who eat this stuff up) specified how many boxes it was. 60 boxes of 9mm bullets is not very much. They simply left it to people's imagination to dream about full truckloads of bullets being bought within minutes by hoards of hundreds or thousands of people.

Congrats, it did its job.  Paranoia is alive and well. Make sure you buy 40 years' worth at once before it all runs out.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The article says 9mm and .22. 9mm does come in shotshells, basically a small shotgun load.

Bullets are the projectiles and useless without the other 3 components making up a cartridge (or round or shell) so 3000 bullets by themselves aren't worrisome unless dropped on your foot.

So maybe all the store did get was 60 boxes/3 cases but I doubt it. I know CCI alone is producing ~ 5.25 million rounds of 9mm per DAY, 5250 cases or 36750 cases/week. That company is also knocking out almost as much in .40 and .45.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 28
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When my wife and I have some  free-time, we have to decide which activity is most likely to keep us alive and kicking:

a.  Buy some extra .38 ammo, go to the shooting range, and fire off a few dozen rounds.

b.  Go to the YMCA and do the Cardio-For-Seniors class.

We usually pick "b".

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Mar. 28 2013, 6:55 pm)
When my wife and I have some  free-time, we have to decide which activity is most likely to keep us alive and kicking:

a.  Buy some extra .38 ammo, go to the shooting range, and fire off a few dozen rounds.

We usually pick "b".

Outrunning the Zombies is probably the best plan, they do shuffle slowly...

OTOH shooting off bits and pieces hardly slows them down, being already dead and all.

From reports.

ETA: Just every once in a while casually check the wife for a .25.....
 Post Number: 30
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We usually pick "b".
Hilarious, Old Frank.

Exactly. Just another case of obsessing about the wrong problem.
56 replies since Mar. 28 2013, 4:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ammo not making it to the shelf
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions