2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: N. Korea burning with hatred, US uses two nuclear ready stealth bomber< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HOME»NEWS»WORLD NEWS»ASIA»NORTH KOREA
North Korea 'burning with hatred' for US after stealth bomber missions
North Korea claimed its people were "burning with hatred" for the US after Washington confirmed it had flown B-2 stealth bomber "deterrence" missions over South Korea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news....ns.html

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bet our defense industry is absolutely exhilarated!  New threats means more business.  The only "threat" to us is more government debt and more cutbacks elsewhere.  :angry:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The MIC is too big to fail. Conflict is its entree. Eisenhower warned, but nobody listened.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But even a country is not too big to fail -- as the USSR has shown.  If our MIC manages to drain our country, it's only because we let it.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It won't be because I let it.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL

So what are you doing?  Posting on Backpacker.com??

Way to really stop those corporate oligarchs, Monte, you the man!!   :p

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I say "we let it" -- not because I am doing anything effective to stop the oligarchs either... but that we collectively buy into the 'scare' time and time again.  And not just on weapons stockpiling, but phone and internet tapping and all that too.

Government tells us boogeyman is on the prowl -- and we sign off whatever is needed and tell our government to 'solve it'. Patriot Act comes to mind.  And now, we are moving missiles closer toward N. Korea.  And of course, now we gotta order more missiles!

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was against the patriot act as well. Funny that Tom Dashel and Patrick Leahy were the only two who could have stopped it and the two who's offices were anthraxed. But off topic.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 28 2013, 5:38 pm)
LOL

So what are you doing?  Posting on Backpacker.com??

Way to really stop those corporate oligarchs, Monte, you the man!!   :p

Oh no west, I'm doing lots more. You should too.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As North Korea has already pledged to nuke the United States I'm not at all certain what they expected?

Granted I would have used those bombers to fly a leaflet drop over the North: featureing "before" and "after" pictures; of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But then I'm not known for my subtlty.

My bottom line is I hope for everyone's sake in South Korea, North Korea and downwind of North Korea that the North doesn't get all wound up and do something foolish. Because especially if they do somehting foolish and nuclear they will get a very of large number of people killed.

China needs to get their butt in gear and deliver that rice. All I'm sayin'
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:06 pm)
As North Korea has already pledged to nuke the United States I'm not at all certain what they expected?

Granted I would have used those bombers to fly a leaflet drop over the North: featureing "before" and "after" pictures; of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But then I'm not known for my subtlty.

My bottom line is I hope for everyone's sake in South Korea, North Korea and downwind of North Korea that the North doesn't get all wound up and do something foolish. Because especially if they do somehting foolish and nuclear they will get a very of large number of people killed.

Prove me wrong, but the louder the decibel coming out of NK -- the more hollow they sound.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But those leaflets wouldn't help the innocent N Korean citizens just trying to get rice in their bowls today. And besides, the US shouldn't be bragging about how they know how to bomb non military targets and kill a couple hundred thousand innocent civilians in one drop.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:21 pm)
But those leaflets wouldn't help the innocent N Korean citizens just trying to get rice in their bowls today. And besides, the US shouldn't be bragging about how they know how to bomb non military targets and kill a couple hundred thousand innocent civilians in one drop.

Nothing like real experience, son.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:08 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:06 pm)

Prove me wrong, but the louder the decibel coming out of NK -- the more hollow they sound.

I would surely hope.

But there are sad recent examples of nations that got wound up in their own rhetoric and internal agenda and then made what became very tragic mistakes: Sadham Hussein was a serial mistake maker Iran invasion, a quick land grab at a time of Iranian instability, Kuwait...), Bush II with Iraq, so these things can happen and a nuclear line being crossed would kill a very large number of people.

I'm still counting (to the extent I have any concept of the situation) on China's self interest and influence. Granted Korea making a nuclear mistake and there wouldn't be enough survivors for China to be disrupted much but were the North to do something simpler like flatten Seoul with their thousands of artilalry pieces that are in range, well then the refugee floodgates into China would pour over that border. At least it's that refugee, destabilizing the border region, scenario that I've read is a concern of the PRC and it seemed to make sense.

Well hopefully this is all, in line with your "hollow" reference, some sort of internal process that will wind itself down after whatever internal sorting out takes it's necesary path in the North.

The other interesting take I recently saw which has some sense to it as well it seems to me is that B-2 visit was an attempt by the Obama administration to deflect South Korea from their own nuclear ambitions. Trying to deflect an India-Pakistan pairing of antagonistic regional nuclear weapons armed nations. South Korea surely has the tech base to whip some up if they so decided....
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does it occur to anyone to ask the question why such  LOUD HEADLINES here in America.... but nothing of the scale from either China or Japan -- two nations much, much closeer to NK?  ???  My links are the front page headline news of the three big news media of US, China and Japan respectively.

Sure, different times and all, but let's also recall -- back in 2002 -- the SHRILL about Iraqi WMD's here... but not really elsewhere in the world (discounting the usual "former British Empire" lap dogs)? ???

Our defense industry needs our government to buy as much weapons and ammos and research as it possibly can!  And our media is only too happy to sensationalize anything to sell 'papers'.  These two factors have stayed constant for decades now!!  Just how many more times are you going to fall for them?

Prove me wrong, but when it comes to foreign affairs -- Obama seems almost as ignorant as Bush and most all the rest of us!  Except he is our president!  ???

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Flew Missouiri to Korea and back: non-stop.

ETA: Lack of "shrill"

Maybe becasue North Korea isn't running it's collective mouth pledging to bath those countries in "nuclear fire"? With nuclear weapons it HAS, not some theoretical in telligence assessment.

Which is probably a wise thing as China might never deliver that rice if they mouthed off to them. And goading Japan to assemble some nulcear weapons of their own is a really bad idea (they've had the tech since the 70's and at one time had "parts" just not all bolted together so they technically never had a "weapon")...

The U.S. is a relatively free shot: unless they actually attack there's not much downside.

Oh and the gas for those two aircraft is probably a cheap investment in keeping South Korea from going nuclear.

Plus:
"“Strategic force’s plan to hit the mainland of the U.S.”"

LOVE the iMAC! I wonder if that means Cupertino is safe?

Feeling lucky?
 Post Number: 17
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 28 2013, 9:54 pm)
Does it occur to anyone to ask the question why such  LOUD HEADLINES here in America....

Ummmm, the link you provided is to CNN International.  Those are NOT headlines "here in America".
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 29 2013, 10:03 am)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 28 2013, 9:54 pm)
Does it occur to anyone to ask the question why such  LOUD HEADLINES here in America....

Ummmm, the link you provided is to CNN International.  Those are NOT headlines "here in America".

Actually, they are more similar than different.

Too bad you didn't click the links yesterday.  CNN's was FILLED with LOUD banners about NK threats.  China and Japan?  Nothing in the first page and little elsewhere.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 29 2013, 1:06 pm)

I'll conceded to that.  But being "similar" does not make them "here in America".

Too bad you didn't click the links yesterday.  CNN's was FILLED with LOUD banners about NK threats.  China and Japan?  Nothing in the first page and little elsewhere
OK.

And how many times has NK directly threatened to target, much less nuke, China and Japan?  Has NK released target lists that include Tokyo and Beijing?

These are not rhetorical questions and I have no idea of their anwers.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 29 2013, 10:23 am)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 29 2013, 1:06 pm)

I'll conceded to that.  But being "similar" does not make them "here in America".

Too bad you didn't click the links yesterday.  CNN's was FILLED with LOUD banners about NK threats.  China and Japan?  Nothing in the first page and little elsewhere
OK.

And how many times has NK directly threatened to target, much less nuke, China and Japan?  Has NK released target lists that include Tokyo and Beijing?

These are not rhetorical questions and I have no idea of their anwers.

It's not about NK threatening US and not China.  If NK were really to use nuclear weapons against anybody at all -- THAT will be a grave concern to both its neighbors -- China and Japan.

Imagine Mexico (our little neighbor right next door) developing nuclear weapons and provoking Russia!  If true, you think we would be unconcerned because it's Russia that's being targeted and not us ourselves?   If true, you can be certain that we will make Mexico stop -- in no uncertain terms.  Same, same for China.

The shrill is us.  For the two reasons I stated above.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"If NK were really threatening"

How'd you miss the quotes?

OR for that matter the PHOTOS of the planning?

Such dismissal of the very North Korean's own words and press releases is, I'm saddened to poiint out, rather arrogant.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 29 2013, 10:28 am)
"If NK were really threatening"

How'd you miss the quotes?

OR for that matter the PHOTOS of the planning?

Bluffing.  But in any case, I've edited the wording in my post above.  

And you mean the photoshop  of the planning?  :D

Google about NK's photoshopping its missile launches and, more recently, it's landing craft exercise.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 29 2013, 1:26 pm)
It's not about NK threatening US and not China.  If NK were really threatening to use nuclear weapons against anybody at all -- THAT will be a grave concern to both its neighbors -- China and Japan.

We're talking about the media here, not the respective governments.  Of course if a government directly threatens to use nukes against US cities, the US media is going to be all over it.  Why would the Japanese and Chinesse media even care?

And its the media response that the NK government is fishing for, NOT the government response.  The US government response was very simple and rather understated.  A pair of B-2 Stealth bombers flew non stop from Missouri to Korea, dropped some practice ordnance, and returned to Missouri.  Nothing shrill there.  But an unmistakable message.

Imagine Mexico (our little neighbor right next door) developing nuclear weapons and provoking Russia!  If true, you think we would be unconcerned because it's Russia that's being targeted and not us ourselves?   If true, you can be certain that we will make Mexico stop -- in no uncertain terms.  Same, same for China.
The UK and France both have large numbers of nukes.  They both have extensive delivery systems to put them ANYwhere in Russia AND they are on the record as being targeted at Russia.  Yet you see no headlines about those nukes.  Big yawn from our media.

Heck, even Pakistan and India have nukes.   Again, big yawns from our media about those nukes.

I believe if Mexico and Canada were to get nukes, our media and Russia's would shrug the way they have shrugged to the French, Brit, Indian, and Pakistani nukes.

I think the "shrill" US media response is in response to the shrilly provocative statements by the NK government.  Of course our media is going to respond.  Responding to such shrill provocations is part of their business model.  It sells.  NK understands that.  It's kind of odd that you don't.  

The shrill is us.  For the two reasons I stated above.
I challenge that.  For the reasons stated above.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, Ken, keep supporting it.  Better safe than sorry.   That's always been what's fueling our defense industry!  For years now, we spend more on defense than the next 17 highest-spending countries in the world combined.  But our defense industry can't afford to 'go idle' -- no matter the size of the stockpile already -- it needs new sales to keep up payroll (and make its profits).

Not sure why you're distinguishing between media and government here.  Recall the shrill about Iraq's WMD -- it was BOTH government and media beating the war drums.  So yeah, keep falling for it.  Even after I've already pointed out to you that NK's close neighbors (who ought to be the most concerned) -- aren't!  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was even some handwringing at the Pentagon over the decision to send these nuke ready bombers on their mission. Knowing the provocative nature of such an exercise, but even members of the Democratic Party serve the needs of the MIC.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 29 2013, 11:08 am)
There was even some handwringing at the Pentagon over the decision to send these nuke ready bombers on their mission. Knowing the provocative nature of such an exercise, but even members of the Democratic Party serve the needs of the MIC.

Sure adds excitement, doesn't it?

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 29 2013, 1:58 pm)
Well, Ken, keep supporting it.  Better safe than sorry.   That's always been what's fueling our defense industry!  For years now, we spend more on defense than the next 17 highest-spending countries in the world combined.  But our defense industry can't afford to 'go idle' -- no matter the size of the stockpile already -- it needs new sales to keep up payroll (and make its profits).

The NK threat is going to result in the sale of not a single US bomber, fighter, naval vessel, or Army vehicle.  It MIGHT result in renewed spending on missile defense, but even that is highly doubtful.

Not sure why you're distinguishing between media and government here.  
Why?  Because, as I stated, the media response and the government response were quite different.  The B-2 mission was rather quiet and pretty understated.  Nothing shrill about it.  But the message was unmistakable.  "Speak quietly but carry a big stick."
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 29 2013, 11:22 am)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 29 2013, 1:58 pm)

The NK threat is going to result in the sale of not a single US bomber, fighter, naval vessel, or Army vehicle.  It MIGHT result in renewed spending on missile defense, but even that is highly doubtful.

Not sure why you're distinguishing between media and government here.  
Why?  Because, as I stated, the media response and the government response were quite different.  The B-2 mission was rather quiet and pretty understated.  Nothing shrill about it.  But the message was unmistakable.  "Speak quietly but carry a big stick."

Plus it was essentially cost-free as the crew have to stay qualified in any case....
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Mar. 29 2013, 2:08 pm)

Hmmm.  Apparently you have some inside sources in the Pentagon.

So when the B-2s flew to Guam, was that "provocative"?  How about when they flew over the Indian Ocean?  How about when they flew over Pakistan?  How about when they flew over Afghanistan AND released live ordnance?  Repeatedly.   Was that provocative?  Why or why not?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 29 2013, 11:22 am)
But the message was unmistakable.  "Speak quietly but carry a big stick."

I definitely missed the speak quietly part.  :;):

--------------
71 replies since Mar. 28 2013, 4:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply N. Korea burning with hatred
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions