2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Curiosity Resumes Science Investigations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 4:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PASADENA, Calif. - NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has resumed science investigations after recovery from a computer glitch that prompted the engineers to switch the rover to a redundant main computer on Feb. 28.

The rover has been monitoring the weather since March 21 and delivered a new portion of powdered-rock sample for laboratory analysis on March 23, among other activities.

"We are back to full science operations," said Curiosity Deputy Project Manager Jim Erickson of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.

The powder delivered on Saturday came from the rover's first full drilling into a rock to collect a sample. The new portion went into the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument inside the rover, which began analyzing this material and had previously analyzed other portions from the same drilling. SAM can analyze samples in several different ways, so multiple portions from the same drilling are useful.

The Rover Environmental Monitoring Station (REMS) is recording weather variables. The Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD) is checking the natural radiation environment at the rover's location inside Gale Crater.

Like many spacecraft, Curiosity carries a pair of main computers, redundant to each other, to have a backup available if one fails. Each of the computers, A-side and B-side, also has other redundant subsystems linked to just that computer. Curiosity is now operating on its B-side, as it did during part of the flight from Earth to Mars. The A-side was most recently used starting a few weeks before landing and continuing until Feb. 28, when engineers commanded a switch to the B-side in response to a memory glitch on the A-side. The A-side now is available as a backup if needed.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20130325.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure this needed to be TPA, but I'm sure that we have someone here that can make it so.  
:D

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 02 2013, 6:15 pm)
I'm not sure this needed to be TPA, but I'm sure that we have someone here that can make it so.  

Sounds like a challenge!

In all seriousness, these Mars missions have made me more excited about space exploration than I've been since I was a kid.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice -- although I am still much more impressed with the longevity of Voyagers I and II -- 1970's technology and production -- and still going strong!  Pretty amazing, aren't they?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 02 2013, 3:15 pm)

$2.5 Billion?

For that we could have bought TEN F-22s! Or funded over 2% of the F35 program!

Two Percent!
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We could bomb the Martians into the Stone Age.  I say it's high time to neutralize the Martian threat.  Does Curiosity play Slim Whitman recordings?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 02 2013, 3:18 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 02 2013, 6:15 pm)

Sounds like a challenge!

In all seriousness, these Mars missions have made me more excited about space exploration than I've been since I was a kid.

While I find Robert Ballard off putting I completely agree with his concepts and fostering of what he's called "telepresence" for these sorts if explorations. He's centered his discussions on undersea exploration from what I can tell but it's equally valid for space.

Yes, very exciting. That first Moon landing was mesmerizing. (and I CANNOT believe  they lost the original recordings) but that was moments, these vehicles are active for months and years. Heck this June Opportunity will have been exploring Mars for TEN years. Amazing. Poor Spirit.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/overview/

Ballard's undersea rovers have usually been tethered  by that's starting to change.
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I knew that I could count on you guys.

I attended a lecture that Ballard did in Montana. It might be a surprise to learn that he is from Kansas, even though Kansas was an ocean for a long time, unless you share beliefs with most of the Kansas state legislature.

Yes, I want to be there, even if I'm only watching on TV. I watched monkeys go into space, and stayed up all night to watch the first steps on the moon. I couldn't be more invested in the USA's future in discovery. I love the look on a kids face when he figures out how things really work. ONWARD!

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 02 2013, 10:40 pm)
Yes, I want to be there, even if I'm only watching on TV. I watched monkeys go into space, and stayed up all night to watch the first steps on the moon. I couldn't be more invested in the USA's future in discovery. I love the look on a kids face when he figures out how things really work. ONWARD!

On another board that I moderate, I did a little Christmas giveaway.  Hot Wheels produced the Curiosity Rover as a toy car and I wanted one for my daughter.  I wound up buying a lot of 5 on ebay.  I gave the other 4 away on that board but with the condition that you had to give it to a kid and explain to them what it was and why it mattered.  I've heard from two of the parents that these have now resulted in trips to the Air and Space Museum.  I consider that money well spent.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When Armstrong was about to take his step, I woke our 3-year old daughter, sat her on my knee in front of the TV, and jiggled her to keep her awake so she would watch it, albeit with little comprehension of the event's significance.   

Glad I did. I note a sense of pride when she tells her 2 sons that she had witnessed this famous milestone.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JimInMD- Gotten to Undvar Hazy yet?

Have to hit that again on my next visit. I have a friend who works on the current Osprey's flight systems and she finds the original they have a hoot.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 03 2013, 11:52 am)

Have to hit that again on my next visit. I have a friend who works on the current Osprey's flight systems and she finds the original they have a hoot.

Nope!  After driving to DC every day, I have a hard time convincing myself to drive to Dulles on my day off.  :D

Maybe next Monday...

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 03 2013, 9:15 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 03 2013, 11:52 am)

Nope!  After driving to DC every day, I have a hard time convincing myself to drive to Dulles on my day off.  :D

Maybe next Monday...

Oh I hear that.

My Dad lived for a while in Ladysmith.

Plus I gather it's going to be even more fun as the 40-50 year lifespan of the roadbed is about up and they're looking at having to rip it up down past the failing gravel underbed and rebuild it entirely....

Beneath the surface, the Beltway crumbles
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local....ry.html
12 replies since Apr. 02 2013, 4:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Curiosity Resumes Science Investigations
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions