2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LAWRENCE O'DONNELL humiliates NRA flack, ASA HUTCHINSON< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 2:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lawrence, as usual, does a brilliant cross examination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0josKNh12KM

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's not always very brilliant, often he's just a punk!

If you’re going to hurl insults petulantly at someone with whom you disagree, it helps if (1) you have some evidence to support your insinuations, and (2) the descriptors you use can’t be easily turned back on you.

MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell failed on both counts on Thursday’s “The Last Word.” The hot-tempered O’Donnell, who famously challenged Mitt Romney’s son to a fist fight on air, went off on a tangent on Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who shook up Washington on Wednesday with his 13-hour filibuster. Seemingly oblivious to the praise Paul’s old-school performance earned from hard-left opponents such as erstwhile Obama green energy czar Van Jones and the protest group Code Pink, O’Donnell tossed out words like “infantile” and “empty-headed” to characterize the senator.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs....P6lM8BO

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OMG!!!  O'DONNEL'sed the word  “infantile” and “empty-headed” in a totally unrelated
show. Oh the humanity!!!!

So Monte engages in classic kill the messenger tactic.  

You linked to the notoriously deceitful right-wing newsbusters to give an editorial on
something totally unrelated to do with O'DONNEL's cross examination of the NRA flack Asa
Hutchinson. Instead you changed the subject by linking to this right-wing newsbuster article
, where they predictably use such hyperbolic rhetoric like "tantrum", where it doesn't
even give one example where O'DONNEL said anything incorrect or much of anything at all.

Oh and here that video where Newsbusters claimed that O'DONNEL challenged Tag Romney to a
fight(Only an idiot would not recognize he was being tongue in cheek)

So Monte I will take this obvious attempt at you trying to chang the subject as proof you
couldn't defend this NRA flack ASA Hutchinson and of course since you're a NRA partisan you
feel its your mission to defend the NRA everywhere their name is brought up but you can't
here and thys you desperately try and change the subject

pathetic

pathetic

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And Dennis gets his news from YouTube. Btw, fifth time, I am no party to the NRA. Need to tattoo that on your forehead. Oh, and what does it matter if newsbusters, leans right. LO and company lean left, even though they want us to think they lean forward.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^^ another idiotic statement

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 03 2013, 12:43 pm)
And Dennis gets his news from YouTube. Btw, fifth time, I am no party to the NRA. Need to tattoo that on your forehead.

yet you mindlessly take their word for just about anything they claim.

Like the time you mindlessly took their claim that a DOJ memo called for confiscating arms

I never take any Democrat's word for anything they way you take the NRA's word on some subject

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 03 2013, 12:43 pm)
And Dennis gets his news from YouTube. Btw, fifth time, I am no party to the NRA. Need to tattoo that on your forehead. Oh, and what does it matter if newsbusters, leans right. LO and company lean left, even though they want us to think they lean forward.

A) its not such that its right-wing but a notoriously deceitful source

B) this very same source made an issue of Lawrence having left-wing sources

c) you make issues of being partisan but what in a similar fashion you should be more
even handed when it comes to your sources

oh and there is a contradiction between leaning left and leaning "forward"? want to explain?

What does this have to do with the OP?

Oh that's right, You can't defend the NRA flack ASA Hutchinson and since you're good NRA
partisan and must defend the NRA whenever their name is brought up but you can't so its time
to change the subject

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't defend the NRA, am not party to or partisan of them, and don't know that America should continue down the path of arming schools. Eventually, it's not going to resemble America as much as some other less than free states.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 03 2013, 1:46 pm)
I don't defend the NRA, am not party to or partisan of them, and don't know that America should continue down the path of arming schools. Eventually, it's not going to resemble America as much as some other less than free states.

you already used your "am not party"(or variations of) talking point.

You don't defend the NRA? What?

Then why do you chow down their talking points as if it was a nice juicy T-Bone steak?

Show me one time where you were critical of the NRA?

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stop being so spitting mad that you get cross eyed with reading problems. I just did in post 8.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is NO qualifications for exercise of the second amendment (or any of the bill of rights) other than ones citizenship, period.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 03 2013, 1:55 pm)
Stop being so spitting mad that you get cross eyed with reading problems. I just did in post 8.

What?

So this is what you call being critical?

"don't know that America should continue down the path of arming schools."

Are you serious?

and your the last person should be accusing anyone of reading problems

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 03 2013, 1:58 pm)
So according to you taking away the guns for a pyshcotic mass murder would be violating the
2nd amendment.

Well anyway, how does you saying "There is NO qualifications for exercise of the second
amendment (or any of the bill of rights) other than ones citizenship, period." show you're
critical of the NRA?

What does that have to do with the OP?

trying go change the subject again because you can't defend the NRA flack Asa Hutchinson
even though you would like to?

So according to you taking away the guns for a psychotic mass murder would be violating the
2nd amendment.?

Well anyway, how does you saying "There is NO qualifications for exercise of the second
amendment (or any of the bill of rights) other than ones citizenship, period." show you're
critical of the NRA?

trying go change the subject again because you can't defend the NRA flack Asa Hutchinson

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wtf, I'm not trying to defend the NRA. Don't agree with them on this subject, said so in post eight. Just saying, lawrence O'Donnell has been humiliated himself, so what's the big deal.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba2_1319844788&comments=1

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montecresto Said

Wtf, I'm not trying to defend the NRA. Don't agree with them on this subject

On what specific subject do you claim you don't agree with the NRA?

Montecresto Said

said so in post eight

No you didn't.

you said " don't know that America should continue down the path of arming schools"

not tht "America should NOT continue down the path of arming schools"

The video is on more than the arming of the schools

Montecresto Said

Just saying, lawrence O'Donnell has been humiliated himself, so what's the big deal.

Your 1st attempt at making that case using newsbusters failed and this latest example fails
too. Why do you say he was humiliated? Because the title of the video says so?

What does this have to do with the OP again?

Oh that right, its your way of trying to change the subject again because you're a NRA
partisan who must, despite what you claim(and your dishonestly has been exposed many times
on this forum), , feel compelled to defend the NRA at all costs.

I mean the only reason why you jumped into this thread is that the title said that
[someone.. doesn't matter that it was lawrence O'Donnell] "humiliates NRA Flack" and by
gaad if someone makes a post like that they are taking on your beloved NRA and you MUST
come to the defense of the NRA under those circumstances

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The most obvious point to take away from the video is that Asa Hutchinson nothing more than a tool of the NRA, and the NRA is nothing more than a tool of the gun trade. If this were not true, their recommendations would address at least some of the problems associated with massive, undocumented distribution of firearms.

It is amazing to me that the NRA started out as an organization aimed at safe use of firearms. They certainly aren't that now, are they?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mother Jones had a very good investigative article on who the NRA leadership is. For example
they pointed out this

George K. Kollitides II, the chief executive of Freedom Group—which made the Bushmaster
military-style assault rifle used in the Newtown massacre—was appointed as a member of the
current committee, despite his failed attempts to be elected to the NRA board.

http://www.motherjones.com/politic....hmaster

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An interesting “conversation” (this time about our latest obsession here on the forum – guns) from an ongoing series.
The “preliminaries” included this silliness (about Brooks’ flu condition) and, though I know that Brooks intended this as a (semi) joke, it’s indicative (in a purely, perhaps, infantile way) of the kind of thought process going on “under the hood” of the typical far right winger.
David Brooks: No, I don’t get shots. As a conservative, I feel that might create a culture of dependency. If I start giving my body flu shots to make it feel better, pretty soon it might want vegetables. Before long you’re on the slippery slope to protein shakes and exercise.

I took a laissez-faire approach to the flu, waiting for the invisible hand to cure it. Interestingly, my flu seems to have settled in my ears. I had to take a flight in the middle of it and my ears remained stopped up for days. I discovered that if you can’t hear other people’s opinions it’s much easier not to listen.

An interesting fact from still more “ancillary topic meandering”:
David Brooks: …our border patrols already have an air force bigger than most midsize nations…

It’s funny/strange how, amongst all the other propaganda being thrown out by the “gun trolls” on this site, I have not seen any mention of this incident here in Texas.  (I suppose I could have missed it, but I’d bet not.) This is a case of an assassination of a law officer who was aware of the threat, took steps to arm himself, and yet was still found dead in his own house with his wife. Simply goes to prove what I’ve said about protecting yourself with a weapon all along: you have the distinct disadvantage that you never know when the attacker is going to come. You simply cannot be that vigilant – even with a weapon on your person at all times – and continue to function as a normal person.
Gail Collins: But the most effective policing techniques all start with keeping people from carrying concealed weapons. Which goes back to the idea that tight gun regulations are much better for safety than an atmosphere in which everybody’s packing heat. Have you been following the case in Texas? Two months ago an assistant district attorney was assassinated in broad daylight in a county outside Dallas. Last weekend, the D.A. of the same county, Mike McLelland, was murdered in his home along with his wife, by someone wielding a rifle.

There are varying theories about the culprits, but think about the D.A.: He had spent 23 years in the Army and was proud of his gun skills. He knew there was a good chance that he might be a target. He told a reporter that he was carrying a gun everywhere. But in the end, he couldn’t protect himself or his wife from home invaders. This is certainly not a critique of McLelland, but I do think it speaks to the shakiness of the idea that carrying guns make you safe.

Gail Collins: I agree with you about handguns, but the thing about the assault weapons is that they aren’t appropriate for any normal civilian purpose. No good for hunting. Way more than you need to protect yourself from an intruder if you live in an isolated home. I was really turned off by Senator Lindsey Graham’s argument in the Judiciary Committee — that his constituents might need an assault weapon in case of some kind of multi-level disaster involving cyber attacks, broken dams and chemical warfare. Especially after he acknowledged that the AR-15 he bragged about owning himself is a souvenir that he’s never shot. Really, if you’re expecting a flood/poison gas attack/computer implosion, you should be practicing.

And the finale (vaguely humorous):
Gail Collins: Well, David, take it easy. Drink lots of liquids and take vitamin C. Not that it’ll actually do any good, but at least it provides the illusion that we’re in control.

David Brooks: I’d say that last sentence is a perfect summary of American politics over the past 50 years.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/guns-guns-guns
 Post Number: 19
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Monte, what do he words, "well regulated" mean to you??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Monte, what do he words, "well regulated" mean to you??

You mean like manly words?

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but I'm fairly good at understanding the meaning of words. I also understand that some of the Founders wrote separately about their own views on the 2nd Amendment, but let's remember this document was the product of many and agreed upon by all who ratified, so the actual words should carry the most weight.

To understand the intent of the words, historical context is necessary.

In the late 1700's, a citizen militia WAS necessary to the security of a free state from threats of indian attacks and foreign powers -- not from the federal government they just formed which didn't have much of a standing army (part of the reason why militia were needed).

The right to bear arms was clearly based on the need for defense against those real threats, and it's logical that right was not limited to time spent while in a militia. "Well-regulated" refers to the need for organization and heirarchical control (by the authority defining this law) for militia to be effective against a powerful and organized enemy, but it could hardly be expected for the state to keep the weapons and dispense them upon urgent need to the far-flung inhabitants in a frontier environment. Obviously, citizens had a need to bear their arms with them, and that right was enumerated in the 2nd Amendment.

The historical context that gave rise to the exact wording and intent of the 2nd Amendment no longer exists. I don't think the Founders intended their document to be static, unchangeable, and unable to evolve along with changing needs. Yes, they provided a mechanism for ameding the Constitution, and that is most likely what we need now on the issue of "arms."

Most who oppose gun control measures will probably take this to mean abolishing the right to bear arms, but amending this right to meet 21st century needs could very well be the mechanism for extending that right while also helping to insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.

Consider for a moment that the current wording of the 2nd Amendment is very much open to interpretation. Also consider the decline of the Republic Party and the possibility of a liberal majority on the Supreme Court. A strong argument can be made that since a "Well Regulated Militia" is a thing of the past, so should private gun ownership.

As it stands now there is broad support for private gun ownership, even among many (like myself) who believe a comprehensive system for licensing and background checks is prudent and necessary. I think a redefinition of the 2nd Amendment would protect the right to bear arms long into the future, while the failure to do so puts it in jeopardy.

The biggest hurdle to better utilizing the mechanism of self-government bequeathed to us by the Founders is our own inability to have a civil, rational discussion with our fellow citizens. Hyperbole, fear, and misinformation hold sway today.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What does "the current wording of the second amendment" mean?

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two interesting interviews of Lawrence

http://www.latimes.com/enterta....8.story

http://www.salon.com/2013....ilities

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Apr. 03 2013, 2:03 pm)

So according to you taking away the guns for a pyshcotic mass murder would be violating the
2nd amendment.

critical of the NRA?

So according to you taking away the guns for a psychotic mass murder would be violating the
2nd amendment.?

critical of the NRA?

oops

That actually was meant to be a response to Montecresto response of "There is NO qualifications for exercise of the second amendment (or any of the bill of rights) other than ones citizenship, period."

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is NO qualifications for exercise of the second amendment (or any of the bill of rights) other than ones citizenship, period.

So does that mean according to you that taking away the guns for a psychotic mass murder would be violating the
2nd amendment.?

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 04 2013, 10:33 pm)

I had written that it needs to be changed, so in the context of my post the meaning should be obvious. The 2nd Amendment as written is open to a wide range of interpretation, which could put the right to private guin ownership in jeopardy.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Apr. 05 2013, 1:43 am)

So does that mean according to you that taking away the guns for a psychotic mass murder would be violating the
2nd amendment.?

This very thing has been discussed every which way in many threads in the past. The bill of rights is yours by virtue of your birthright citizenship. What we do with those rights may bring a societal response we don't like. Commit a crime with a gun and forfeit the right.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Apr. 05 2013, 6:57 am)

(Montecresto @ Apr. 04 2013, 10:33 pm)

I had written that it needs to be changed, so in the context of my post the meaning should be obvious. The 2nd Amendment as written is open to a wide range of interpretation, which could put the right to private guin ownership in jeopardy.

Ok, I see.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montecresto said

This very thing has been discussed every which way in many threads in the past. The bill of
rights is yours by virtue of your birthright citizenship. What we do with those rights may
bring a societal response we don't like. Commit a crime with a gun and forfeit the right.

Ok then when you say There is NO qualifications for exercise of the second amendment (or
any of the bill of rights) other than ones citizenship, period.
that is at the very least
a simplistic argument since obviously there are other qualifications we as a society have
imposed on people, that you just agreed to and essentially contradicted yourself, in
determining if they have a right to "exercise" the second amendment like if you've committed
some crimes that tell society that you can't be trusted to have a gun.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wtf. You automatically enjoy your constitutional and bill of rights, period. Qualification is your citizenship. There, everyone born in the US qualifies. It's really not complex. During the course of your life you may behave in such a fashion that society deems you have forfeited your right. You get that Dennis. Your born with your second amendment right, and NOBODY can take it away, save yourself by committing a crime while exercising your second amendment right.

All these frivolous proposed gun laws that seek to restrict everybody, yeah, all those millions of Americans who never have and never will commit a crime with a gun, are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Go back to civics class!

--------------
30 replies since Apr. 03 2013, 2:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply LAWRENCE O'DONNELL humiliates NRA flack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions