2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: North Carolina, wants to establish a state religion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 3:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, good ol' North Carolina seems to think freedom of religion shouldn't have to apply to its state, municipalities, or schools.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news....on?lite

Claiming that the First Amendment only applies at the Federal level, the republican congressmen proposing and supporting the bill do not recognize "federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion"

Bill here: http://www.ncleg.net/Applica....eqNum=0

Now granted, all kinds of outlandish bills are proposed each and every year - but this is scary.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I encourage people to read the bill... it isn't long (only a page).

One part of the bill I found a bit funny (if that's the word):
14 Whereas, the Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal
15 government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not
16 constitutional;

They effectively say all rulings in the SCOTUS and all federal laws are null and void if the state decides to ignore them.  Interesting argument, but I don't think it'll pick up any wings and fly.  As the article points out, the same arguments were used against school integration decades ago, and weren't any more valid then.  I'm personally counting on citizens of NC to be able to see the huge potential for unintended consequences in something like this.  Color me unconcerned.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it does say "Congress shall make no law"

But since 1925 that has been apllied to the states as well

I don't approve, but I imagine it is more aimed more at the  exclusion of some religions.

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 03 2013, 4:00 pm)
I encourage people to read the bill... it isn't long (only a page).

One part of the bill I found a bit funny (if that's the word):
14 Whereas, the Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal
15 government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not
16 constitutional;

They effectively say all rulings in the SCOTUS and all federal laws are null and void if the state decides to ignore them.  Interesting argument, but I don't think it'll pick up any wings and fly.  As the article points out, the same arguments were used to argue against integration of schools decades ago, and weren't any more valid then.  I'm personally counting on citizens of NC to be able to see the huge potential for unintended consequences in something like this.  Color me unconcerned.

Thanks for pointing out the brevity of the bill (I should have mentioned it to encourage folks to check it out).

And I'm in total agreement, that this bill is probably dead on arrival.  It just struck me as one of the more outlandish bills (like the language you point out) that I've seen in a while.  And with all those "other" constitutional arguments going on - this presents a particularly opposite view of the strength of the Constitution.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think your right, Bill.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Apr. 03 2013, 4:02 pm)

I don't approve, but I imagine it is more aimed more at the  exclusion of some religions.

If you read the bill, it clearly states

"SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion."

--------------
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Also depending on how they intended to implement that they'd run the high probablility of running straight into the teeth of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Which IS aimed straight at states.
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The people involved in economic development in North Carolina must be banging their heads against walls today.  The work hard trying to depict the state as a sophisticated culturally diverse place, then a few hillbillies who drank a little too much ruckus juice set thing back a century or two.
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 03 2013, 2:07 pm)
Also depending on how they intended to implement that they'd run the high probablility of running straight into the teeth of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Which IS aimed straight at states.

But y'see, that's the beautiful thing. :D  They get to say it doesn't matter whether the SCOTUS thinks it violates the 14th amendment.  Or any amendment for that matter.  They could pass legislation to repeal the 1st amendment, using the 1st amendment as their justification.

It's an awesome application of circular logic, using the US Constitution to say the US Constitution means whatever we want to think it means.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 03 2013, 3:14 pm)
The people involved in economic development in North Carolina must be banging their heads against walls today.  The work hard trying to depict the state as a sophisticated culturally diverse place, then a few hillbillies who drank a little too much ruckus juice set thing back a century or two.

+1 on that...

(One supposes that tourism was already at a nadir in N. Korea...
 Post Number: 11
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Visited the North Carolina coast last fall. Lovely area.

Seperate note, who elects these people, I mean really...who?
 Post Number: 12
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Apr. 05 2013, 4:30 pm)
Visited the North Carolina coast last fall. Lovely area.

Seperate note, who elects these people, I mean really...who?

If I understand correctly, schools stopped teaching Civics a few decades ago...  we might just be seeing the result now...

Last time folks seriously argued the superiority of state governments over federal as final arbiter -- 600,000 Americans perished!  How ironic that the Party of Lincoln that defended the federation with such determination is now the one that seeks to undermine it?   Will wonders never cease?  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait, North Carolina?

I thought they already had a state religion: Duke basketball.

#Don'tLetCoachKKnow.

http://coachk.com/
12 replies since Apr. 03 2013, 3:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply North Carolina
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions