2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Planes falling from the sky in flames!, Or maybe not< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:29 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More on sequestration drama as regards small airports

http://reason.com/blog....on-in-t

"AEHLE: Well, I don't really want to say anything is less safe. It's just a better opportunity for people to listen and to be heard and to understand where they are. And also, I'd like to point out that we don't have 24-hour tower coverage here currently. Those air traffic controllers are only directing traffic between 8 am to 8 pm seven days a week. And most of our heavy traffic is outside of those hours."

So the airport runs just fine during peak hours (in the dark)without an ATC...priceless :laugh:

Once again...chicken little may be a pessimist

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So a article about how sequestration does NOT affect an airport is newsworthy?

Total FAIL!!!!!

Barahahhahahahaa

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I learned to fly at an uncontrolled field, using only self-announce on the field freq. Not a big deal.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Apr. 04 2013, 5:29 am)
More on sequestration drama as regards small airports

I dunno where you pull out terms like "sequestration drama."  There's not much of anything in that article even worth reporting.

Slow news day, I guess.

ETA: And yes, I get the point you think you've made, that the sequester cuts haven't actually impacted this particular tiny airport much at all, and they're adjusting to it just fine.  Whoop-de-doo.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"where you pull out terms like "sequestration drama." "

Oh I do:

The "drama" of some Republican members of Congress who are very upset. Such as:
"Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), whose amendment to preserve the Contract Tower Program as part of the continuing resolution for the federal budget was defeated, called the administration’s decision “short-sighted and dangerous. Closing control towers is equivalent to removing stop lights and stop signs from our roads.”"

Or Republican House committee chairmen making similar complaints:
"Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), ranking member of the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, and Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.), chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, sent a letter dated March 22 to Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood expressing their disappointment with the administration’s choice to move ahead with the contract tower closings."

Or Rep. Sam Graves (R-Mo.): "“I find it hard to believe that, when forced to make a five percent cut in its budget, the FAA could not come up with better ideas than threatening to jeopardize public safety by closing towers.”"

Threatening public safety! Oh my.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 04 2013, 10:00 am)
"where you pull out terms like "sequestration drama." "

Oh I do:

The "drama" of some Republican members of Congress who are very upset.

I read the article there.  You're right.

Irony is funny.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It won't be just the Republicans.  If we ever get serious about closing the deficit -- and I don't even mean closing it all in just one or three years -- there will be lots of hot air coming from both sides of the aisle.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah but the sequestration didn't even pretend to be about closing the deficit, the sequestration was to be a consequence of NOT closing the deficit.
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF - I changed topic a tad -- not talking about Sequester -- but talking about "if we ever get serious about closing the deficit...".

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 04 2013, 9:42 am)
HSF - I changed topic a tad -- not talking about Sequester -- but talking about "if we ever get serious about closing the deficit...".

Ah, then I'm in agreement. Hard to escape notice that everyone is for cutting the other person's "consituent services"".

It's just the loudest deficit hawks slash "small government" advocates and thus the biggest hypocrites, do tend to be Republican members.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GBH....guess you also missed Harrison Ford saying there would be accidents if we close towers....and he played the president on TV

The big whoop as far as I am concerned is that the FAA pays for ATC at an airport that doesn't need it.

But there is no fat in the federal budget......yeah right!

Why don't we privatize ATC like our friends in Canada ?

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Apr. 04 2013, 1:51 pm)
GBH....guess you also missed Harrison Ford saying there would be accidents if we close towers....and he played the president on TV

You're right, I did miss that.  Were we supposed to be paying attention to Harrison Ford?  Guess I missed the memo.

Yawn.

The big whoop as far as I am concerned is that the FAA pays for ATC at an airport that doesn't need it.

And now, they don't.  Although it's still funny that Republicans are crying so loudly about it, blaming "the Administration" for all the damage it'll cause.  They point fingers even when they get what they want.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

John Travolta I might take serioisely about aircraft, he's got his own 707 parked at his house afterall.. but Ford? Notsosure.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_nov2004/Travolta_House.htm
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am also saddened that there are actually republicans that have bought into the sequester drama

It would be much better for them to focus on the really dangerous antics like the release of dangerous illegal aliens in advance of the sequester.

But the washington monument ploy should not even work on the stupid masses, let alone our elected representatives.

Their hearts are in the right places...shame on our govt for trying to make their budget cuts as painful (or pretending to be painful) as possible

Without the help of their propaganda arm (the media) it would be more difficult

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"bought into the sequester drama"

They haven't bought into the drama: they're squeeling becuase it's THEIR ricebowl being dipped into.

With their tired old magic "wate fraud and abuse" chant they've made for decades. And, why of course, there's none of that in their peice of the federal trough!
 Post Number: 16
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 04 2013, 4:11 pm)
John Travolta I might take serioisely about aircraft, he's got his own 707 parked at his house afterall.. but Ford? Notsosure.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_nov2004/Travolta_House.htm

Ford has a helicopter.  :)

http://abcnews.go.com/Enterta....j3fD9LM
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those rescues are cool.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 05 2013, 12:21 pm)
"bought into the sequester drama"

They haven't bought into the drama: they're squeeling becuase it's THEIR ricebowl being dipped into.

With their tired old magic "wate fraud and abuse" chant they've made for decades. And, why of course, there's none of that in their peice of the federal trough!

Speaking of rice bowls....congressional staffers are starving now

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news....tarving

2 words....sack lunch....bitch

okay...that is actually 3 words :)

--------------

Thomas Sowell
17 replies since Apr. 04 2013, 7:29 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Planes falling from the sky in flames!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions