2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Redefining the word "Prom", in Georgia, of course.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.wsav.com/story....ed-prom

These kids today, I tell ya.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boggles the mind.

OTOH, thinking about it... why shouldn't any couple be able to attend their prom -- regardless of how they're paired color wise or sex wise?

And thinking more about it... why should a prom be limited to pairing's anyway?  Why can't people attend as a trio?  Or a quartet or quintet?

Actually, really thinking about it, why should a SCHOOL CLASS ACTIVITY be limited to pairs in the first place?  Why not just all go as a member of the graduating class -- with options for limited guest tickets -- and just enjoy the camaraderie?  Or enjoy pairing up however you like once you're there!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First of all I thought I was going to read an article about how some gay students weren't allowed to bring their boyfriend/girlfriend to the prom.  Ignorant and unacceptable, but wouldn't have been all that surprising given its location.

But, racially segregated? Are you effing serious?  Why hasn't something been done already?  Every single damn one of the school administrators, and every single damn one of the people running the "White Prom" should be fined/arrested or whatever penalty is adequate for enforcing and perpetuating racial segregation.  

Please tell me this is a late April Fool's joke, else I'm spreading this to every corner of the internet I can find.  Truly unacceptable...ugh  :(

ETA: let me just throw in the caveat that if the article was about segregation based on sexual preference I would have been equally disgusted and frustrated.  I was just shocked that actual school-sponsored racial segregation still exists.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 04 2013, 4:44 pm)
Boggles the mind.

OTOH, thinking about it... why shouldn't any couple be able to attend their prom -- regardless of how they're paired color wise or sex wise?

And thinking more about it... why should a prom be limited to pairing's anyway?  Why can't people attend as a trio?  Or a quartet or quintet?

Actually, really thinking about it, why should a SCHOOL CLASS ACTIVITY be limited to pairs in the first place?  Why not just all go as a member of the graduating class -- with options for limited guest tickets -- and just enjoy the camaraderie?  Or enjoy pairing up however you like once you're there!

+1

I went to Jr. Prom by myself.  It shouldn't matter at all. 1,2,3,4,5, gay, straight, black, white, friggin' neon green...who cares??

Though one thought (and I'm sure this has been thoroughly contemplated by school administrators), I wonder if that it is not held at the high school they can somehow alleviate themselves of any responsibility relating to having segregated proms?

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doesn't seem like an April Fool's thing:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....33.html

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 6
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 04 2013, 1:44 pm)
Boggles the mind.

I don't see anything in there about a couples requirement. Maybe they have one (some proms do, some don't), but we have no way of knowing.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the article:
Rochelle City Councilman Wayne McGuinty told Fox 24 that the Wilcox County High School's segregated prom is not an accurate representation of his community.

"I think it's more of the personal opinions of those involved," said McGuinty. "I don't think there is an effort made to keep black kids out of the white prom and to keep white kids out of the black prom."

Just the fact that a City Councilman can even blithely talk about a "white prom" and a "black prom" is unbelievable.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow.  Like Eastie and others, I'm rather amazed this still exists.  I thought we crossed those bridges long ago.  Wow.

On an aside, lol at "redefining the word 'prom'." :D  All these damned slippery slopes, I tell ya'.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow ... just wow. I find it hard to fathom that this is a true story.

Way back in 1986, a bunch of Canadian buddies and me were on spring break in Daytona Beach - and we came across a pub that had a sign on the front saying "no blacks allowed". Pretty impressive when you can make a group of vacationing 20 year old guys speechless. I think a couple of fellows actually took a photo so that people back home would believe them.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BCPete1 @ Apr. 04 2013, 2:52 pm)

Way back in 1986, a bunch of Canadian buddies and me were on spring break in Daytona Beach - and we came across a pub that had a sign on the front saying "no blacks allowed". Pretty impressive when you can make a group of vacationing 20 year old guys speechless. I think a couple of fellows actually took a photo so that people back home would believe them.

Again, boggles the mind!

I thought we got rid of all that -- at least the overt ones -- back in the '60s??  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the rural south!  The prom is not funded or supported by the school which is their way to avoid following civil liberties laws.  This is not the first of this type of skirt around the civil rights act of 1964.  Going from public to all private schools was one way to avoid integration in the past.  

The confederate flag is not rare a rare sight in the south especially in rural areas.  The claim made is it all about the heritage of the south and not about racism etc.  Racism is still very much alive in the south especially the rural areas.  

Some history it was not until 1967 that interracial marriage became legal due to the Supreme Court Loving vs. Virginia decision.   Up until that time every state in the south interracial marriage was illegal.  The movie theater in Tampa where premier of the PBS documentary Freedom Riders played was not integrated until 1968.  Just because there are civil liberties laws does not mean folks have changed their beliefs.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But lest we beat up on the south too much... try to register a polygamous marriage in any of the 50 states here in America -- or Canada for that matter...

Maybe this will be something that people will shudder with incredulity 50 years from now...

--------------
 Post Number: 13
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 04 2013, 5:10 pm)
But lest we beat up on the south too much... try to register a polygamous marriage in any of the 50 states here in America -- or Canada for that matter...

Maybe this will be something that people will shudder with incredulity 50 years from now...

Perhaps they will need a new DOMA then. :)

BTW, if it's a big deal to have an all white prom, should it be an issue if there's an all black prom?

-Don-  Reno, NV

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 14
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BCPete1 @ Apr. 04 2013, 1:52 pm)

That's nothing .. there's a bar east of here with a "Palin 08" sign on it in the window.

:)

--------------

Post Number: 15
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 16
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 04 2013, 8:10 pm)

Polygamy is certainly no worse than sodomy.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 17
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 3:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The story made it to  the local (Melbourne) paper
Segregated Proms?
So what happens if I am a 1/4 black or white ?
How about 1/16th ?
Does 1/64th count ?

Sometime it is just embarrassing to be human.

BTW, I should be sort of pink but naked right now  I am from almost white to dark brown with several areas in between (early Autumn complexion)
I can supply photos.
 Post Number: 18
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too was looking to see if I was reading The Onion

Hard to believe

When my daughters were in HS it was common for some kids to go in groups, but the most openly gay guy in their class brought a female date....scandalous!

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Apr. 04 2013, 11:16 pm)

That made my day.  :D  Great song, too.

--------------
18 replies since Apr. 04 2013, 4:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Redefining the word "Prom"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions