2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gun Deaths Will Be Greater Than Auto Fatalities< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 4:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One trend is in the right direction, the other is in the wrong direction.

Know what makes the difference??  Yep, research money, well defined goals for increased safety of automobiles, and public education to improve safety.

Guess what is missing for guns that prevents the same kinds of improvements being made for gun safety??

Got it the first time, didn't you!!  Yep, the NRA and the paranoid gun nuts preparing to overcome the US Army.

Go figure!!

Deaths from firearms are set to outstrip car fatalities for the first time, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and reported by Bloomberg News.

The CDC estimates that auto-related deaths--long on the decline as more motorists wear seat-belts and face harsher penalties for drunk driving--will fall to 32,000 in 2015. Deaths from firearms, which include suicides and accidents, are estimated to rise to 33,000 over the same period.

Every day, 85 Americans are shot dead, about 53 of them in suicides. This figure is still lower than 1993's peak in gun deaths (37,666), but has risen significantly since firearm deaths reached a low  in 2000 (28,393). The data goes back to 1979.

Meanwhile, USA Today, which looked at FBI figures, reports that 774 people were killed between 2006 and 2010 by a mass killer, defined as a person who kills four or more people in one incident. The figures show that mass killers strike on average once every two weeks. A third of the 156 mass killings did not involve firearms, but rather fire, knife or other weapon. Almost all of the mass killers in those years were men, and their average age was 32. The dozens of deaths caused by mass killers represented about 1 percent of all homicides between 2006 and 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs....92.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Apr. 09 2013, 4:16 pm)
One trend is in the right direction, the other is in the wrong direction.

Know what makes the difference??  Yep, research money, well defined goals for increased safety of automobiles, and public education to improve safety.

Guess what is missing for guns that prevents the same kinds of improvements being made for gun safety??

Got it the first time, didn't you!!  Yep, the NRA and the paranoid gun nuts preparing to overcome the US Army.

Go figure!!

Deaths from firearms are set to outstrip car fatalities for the first time, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and reported by Bloomberg News.

The CDC estimates that auto-related deaths--long on the decline as more motorists wear seat-belts and face harsher penalties for drunk driving--will fall to 32,000 in 2015. Deaths from firearms, which include suicides and accidents, are estimated to rise to 33,000 over the same period.

Every day, 85 Americans are shot dead, about 53 of them in suicides. This figure is still lower than 1993's peak in gun deaths (37,666), but has risen significantly since firearm deaths reached a low  in 2000 (28,393). The data goes back to 1979.

Meanwhile, USA Today, which looked at FBI figures, reports that 774 people were killed between 2006 and 2010 by a mass killer, defined as a person who kills four or more people in one incident. The figures show that mass killers strike on average once every two weeks. A third of the 156 mass killings did not involve firearms, but rather fire, knife or other weapon. Almost all of the mass killers in those years were men, and their average age was 32. The dozens of deaths caused by mass killers represented about 1 percent of all homicides between 2006 and 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs....92.html

More gibberish nothing about nothing.

Better off reading tea leaves or goat scat!

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bet you are really good at that goat scat analysis, neh??

Judging from your posts on this board that is clearly your main source of information.  LOL

Maybe shift to tea leaves for a while and see if the results are better??  The smell will certainly be better!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Apr. 09 2013, 11:25 pm)
Bet you are really good at that goat scat analysis, neh??

Judging from your posts on this board that is clearly your main source of information.  LOL

Maybe shift to tea leaves for a while and see if the results are better??  The smell will certainly be better!

Compared to your idiotic rants? Yea, goat scat is way more reliable than your gined up dribble !

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"The CDC estimates that auto-related deaths--long on the decline as more motorists wear seat-belts and face harsher penalties for drunk driving--will fall to 32,000 in 2015. Deaths from firearms, which include suicides and accidents, are estimated to rise to 33,000 over the same period.

Every day, 85 Americans are shot dead, about 53 of them in suicides. This figure is still lower than 1993's peak in gun deaths (37,666), but has risen significantly since firearm deaths reached a low  in 2000 (28,393). The data goes back to 1979."

I'm not entirely on board with the inclusion of suicides, though given they are included in the automobile death totals probably evens that out.
 Post Number: 6
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People medicated with psychotropics are at an all time high. Most late mass shootings were by the same. But lets keep blaming steel. All robberies are for financial gain, let's blame money. All rape is for..........oh never mind. There are new idiots born every day.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Solo suicides shouldn't be counted since those are single person* and deliberately self-inflicted.

*Not including murder-suicides.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, change the national speed limit to 5 mph ....if it saves one life!!!!

Sounds like we need to spend more money on addressing swimming pools, falls and poisonings

The YMCA needs to do something....10 people drown every day

Except drain cleaner, swimming pools, and cliffs don't cause unreasoning fear in most people

Safety is an illusion

And there is a difference between lethality and safety...somehting can be both

Superficial thinkers have trouble with that concept

The vast majority of gun deaths are intentional.

You cannot make weapons so safe that nobody can intentionally hurt themselves or others without rendering them useless for the purpose of protecting life

But keep dreaming

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 09 2013, 10:28 pm)
Compared to your idiotic rants? Yea, goat scat is way more reliable than your gined up dribble !

2/10

Your material is outdated and dull.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 10 2013, 5:43 am)
Solo suicides shouldn't be counted since those are single person* and deliberately self-inflicted.

You are wrong again. If there was no gun - there would be no suicide.

A gun free society means fewer deaths.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
 Post Number: 11
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might save the few that are not smart enough to think of another way.....but probably not

Japan has almost no guns and plenty of suicides....google "detergent suicide" for a how-to

As for the car vs. gun stupidity

If thousands of people suddenly started running over pedestrians to kill them and driving into bridge abutments to kill themselves what would we do....you know..in that perfect world in your head?

Now perhaps you will see the importance of intent

They have worked hard to make cars safer to prevent accidents and reduce injuries in accidents....which are a huge part of traffic deaths but a small part of firearms deaths. I don't know of a single thing they have done to make it harder to kill someone , or yourself with a car

Guns are much safer than cars....you don't see gun makers recalling millions of weapons for safety defects every year

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 12
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great points.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 13
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to see the continual decline in vehicle deaths.
Positive results can happen when industries get serious about making improvements to safety features.
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 10 2013, 3:43 am)

It would be a challenge to similarly exclude suicides from vehicle deaths, though not impossible ("fail to negotiate a curve" with zero skid marks for one, in daylight....)

I wonder what the percentage is for vehicles?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Today's tragedy, a pattern that is repeated almost daily in the US:

A 6-year-old New Jersey boy has died after being shot in the head by a 4-year-old playmate as their parents stood in the yard nearby, a local police chief said.

Brandon Holt was pronounced dead at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, according to Toms River police Chief Michael Mastronardy.

It was the second incident in the United States in recent days involving young children accidentally shooting others.

Brandon was playing in and around the 4-year-old's Toms River home on Monday evening when the younger child left the yard and went inside, police explained.

"The 4-year-old ... retrieved a rifle within the house, a .22-caliber rifle, came outside," Mastronardy told reporters earlier Tuesday. "... A shot went out and the 6-year-old was struck in the head."

http://www.cnn.com/2013....t=hp_t2

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, that's sad.  What is with these parents?  If you can't keep your gun out of the hands of a 4 year old, your probably neither responsible enough to be a gun owner or a parent.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More tragedy on the way, fueled by the deranged gun nut.  Hope they get him disarmed before he kills some of the most valuable people in that community:

A "barricaded gunman" is holding five Gwinnett County, Georgia, firefighters hostage in suburban Atlanta, a police spokesman said.

The hostage situation occurred after firefighters responded to a residence in Suwanee, Georgia "for some type of medical call," Gwinnett County police spokesman Ed Ritter said.

Police later sent out a request to local TV stations telling them not to send helicopters over the area, in the interest of assuring the safety of those involved in the situation.

http://www.cnn.com/2013....ex.html

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If there was no gun - there would be no suicide.

Horse hockey. If someone is going to self-terminate, they WILL do it even without a gun.
I knew a girl who pulled the plug a few years ago and even though she had 3 firearms of her own and had access to others, she used pills and alcohol.

I wonder what the percentage is for vehicles?

I once read (20 years ago maybe?) that accident investigators estimate ~50% of single vehicle, single occupant crashes where the driver dies are suicides.
I have no idea how they came up with the figure and don't recall where I saw it.

--------------

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you can't keep your gun out of the hands of a 4 year old, your probably neither responsible enough to be a gun owner or a parent.

I started shooting at age 4 although I'll grant I didn't have unfettered access at that age.
BUT I did have my own .22 and deer rifle at age 10 that I bought with newspaper route money and I was allowed to hunt by myself.

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm, well, as Gus McRae once said: "Boy's, what's good for me, ain't necessarily good for the weak minded."   :laugh:

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
19 replies since Apr. 09 2013, 4:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gun Deaths Will Be Greater Than Auto Fatalities
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions