2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dialog, or Chicken excrement< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:04 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I welcome ideas from across the political spectrum. It keeps life interesting, and keeps me sharp. TPA is full of people that we agree with on some things and disagree on others. We occasionally get abusive with one another, but for the most part, we have a community where we agree to disagree. Some of us are competitive and others are pretty laid back. I like opinionated, so long as one can back up their opinions with what they have read, and experiences they have had. I even find some sport in exchanging insults, especially those that make some sort of point in the discussion.

I lurked for a long while before I joined the discussion, so I knew a little bit about the people that I was debating. I don't suppose that needs to be a prerequisite, but some are so bold as to pass judgement before they have any real understanding of the people that they arguing with.

I don't need to name a forum member for anyone to know who needs some chastising, but he has a habit of insulting anyone that disagrees, posts short statements, or pastes someone else's, starts many threads, mostly about guns, and locks them when he gets negative feedback. I ignore his new threads until they draw enough replies from the community. It has been suggested that he is a paid shill for the gun lobby, and I suspect that might well be true since he has made few posts about backpacking.

BP2GO; Steve, you are welcome to take this down, but it seems like some discussion about appropriate discussion is what an online community should consider from time to time. I'd be interested to see what others think.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are people here that promote (are shills for ) nothing but the GOP.  There are people here that do nothing but carry water for the donkey party. Would you like Steve to shut them all down too? Deal with it. Your a big boy, aren't you.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 3
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 3:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 10 2013, 1:04 am)
I welcome ideas from across the political spectrum. It keeps life interesting, and keeps me sharp. TPA is full of people that we agree with on some things and disagree on others. We occasionally get abusive with one another, but for the most part, we have a community where we agree to disagree. Some of us are competitive and others are pretty laid back. I like opinionated, so long as one can back up their opinions with what they have read, and experiences they have had. I even find some sport in exchanging insults, especially those that make some sort of point in the discussion.

I lurked for a long while before I joined the discussion, so I knew a little bit about the people that I was debating. I don't suppose that needs to be a prerequisite, but some are so bold as to pass judgement before they have any real understanding of the people that they arguing with.

I don't need to name a forum member for anyone to know who needs some chastising, but he has a habit of insulting anyone that disagrees, posts short statements, or pastes someone else's, starts many threads, mostly about guns, and locks them when he gets negative feedback. I ignore his new threads until they draw enough replies from the community. It has been suggested that he is a paid shill for the gun lobby, and I suspect that might well be true since he has made few posts about backpacking.

BP2GO; Steve, you are welcome to take this down, but it seems like some discussion about appropriate discussion is what an online community should consider from time to time. I'd be interested to see what others think.

Translation=I'm so lonely it hurts!

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 4
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 10 2013, 2:43 am)

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 10 2013, 1:04 am)

Translation=I'm so lonely it hurts!

Your reading comprehension really does suck.

But thats okay, you remind me of my brother when he was young and stupid.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 1:18 am)
There are people here that promote (are shills for ) nothing but the GOP.  There are people here that do nothing but carry water for the donkey party. Would you like Steve to shut them all down too? Deal with it. Your a big boy, aren't you.

You both have a problem understanding plain english.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:21 am)

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 1:18 am)

You both have a problem understanding plain english.

Translation=please love and accept me cause my daddy didn't

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 7
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, irony is sweet.  Especially when it happens in real time. Ha...

For what its worth I agree with Eco.  For most controversial topics, say abortion as an example, someone starts a thread on it, and that thread just continues to extend and morph as the conversation get deeper, more complex, etc.  Occasionally, a single thread or two will spin off that conversation say in the abortion example, to specifically address perhaps the point of conception, or which party supports women's rights, etc.

But the incessant spam (yes, spam - because that's what it is at this point) on guns is ridiculous at this point.  The TPA is absolutely flooded with it (flooding is part of the definition of spam).  One might argue, "Well, it's a really hot topic right now", and I'd say sure it is, and that's why I'd expect you know maybe 5 or 6 or even 10 different threads discussing the different aspects of the discussion.  But I'd go out on a limb and say there have been at least 100 posts on the topic, and they are not adding a damn thing to the rational discourse about guns in this country, the original poster typically adds ZERO opinion or thought after the link.  So yes, it has become spam in my opinion.

You want to have a rational discussion like adults, fine.  Do so.  What's gone on here in the last several months is BS.  I have kept out of nearly every one of those threads, and I will continue to do so.  And let me preempt a couple insults that I know will be hurled my way just for stating facts:

"Your not visiting the gun posts? Good stay out, we don't need your (insert unfounded characterization here) opinion anyway" -  Good, glad we agree.

"You don't like my links, don't read them" - Good, I don't.

"Having conversations with ourselves now, are we?" - Yes, it's a bit more riveting than the alternative.

"Guuuuuuns!!!!" - Yeah, we get it already.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:23 am)
 I have kept out of nearly every one of those threads, and I will continue to do so.

Perfect! :D

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If a thread gets ignored it dies. Problem solved. We don't need censorship.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:28 am)
If a thread gets ignored it dies.

Agreed.

I often have a hard time keeping my mouth shut if I disagree but his/her/whatever's post are so stupid, it really hasn't been an issue.  

Using the IGNORE function for the first time since I've joined the forum and not regretting it at all!

RESIST THE TEMPTATION, PEOPLE!   :laugh:

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paranoia and poor reading comprehension are an interesting combination. No one has suggested censorship.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
2itchyfeet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:33 am)

Agreed.

I often have a hard time keeping my mouth shut if I disagree but his/her/whatever's post are so stupid, it really hasn't been an issue.  

Using the IGNORE function for the first time since I've joined the forum and not regretting it at all!

Now if we could just use the ignore button on irritating avatars!
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, those avatars can be entertaining! Lol.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is Backpackers forum that we get to use for free.

We should be thankful and treat the participants and the forums with respect.

One of the reasons I stopped posting here was due to how I was posting in response to others esp here in TPA. We all have dark snarky mean sides and I prefer to not exercise mine or let it off its chain these days.

This little podunk backwater forum isn't worth any political operatives time. Everyone here are backpacking enthusiasts to one extent or another I'm sure; some are just more politically engaged than others.

If we were going to use the TPA post content as a guide the argument could be made that Dennis or LandRover are nothing more than DNC shills. Yet I doubt that they are getting paid to come here and tote the party line. They just happen to be very politically engaged liberals.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:42 am)
Paranoia and poor reading comprehension are an interesting combination. No one has suggested censorship.

The word hasn't been used, but that seems implied. So, Eco, stop being opaque then and be more specific of your intent.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 6:53 am)

The word hasn't been used, but that seems implied. So, Eco, stop being opaque then and be more specific of your intent.

You keep using this word "censorship". I do not think it means what you think it means.

Chucking a forum member out on his or her ass for spamming the board with single issue threads, or for incivility, or for any reason at all does not constitute censorship. Deleting comments or entire threads for any reason at all does not constitute censorship. This is a privately-run message board, and we all post here at the suffrance of the people who run it, and if we don't like the rules we are perfectly free to go and blather on about whatever we like at any other forum that's willing to put up with us. Censorship doesn't enter into it.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:51 am)
If we were going to use the TPA post content as a guide the argument could be made that Dennis or LandRover are nothing more than DNC shills. Yet I doubt that they are getting paid to come here and tote the party line. They just happen to be very politically engaged liberals.

The difference is the sheer number of posts, Ron.  Nobody is suggesting that there aren't strongly opinionated folks on both ends.  That's what makes the TPA fun, engaging even.

One only need a cursory glance at the last, oh 100 posts, or so to understand that Dennis or LandRover are nowhere on the same scale in terms of starting posts on the same topic over and over.

Respect, which you mention, is in my opinion, the basis of Eco's post. Spamming the forum with a single topic, without a willingness to even discuss said topic, is not respectful.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Apr. 10 2013, 11:32 am)

The difference is the sheer number of posts, Ron.  Nobody is suggesting that there aren't strongly opinionated folks on both ends.  That's what makes the TPA fun, engaging even.

One only need a cursory glance at the last, oh 100 posts, or so to understand that Dennis or LandRover are nowhere on the same scale in terms of starting posts on the same topic over and over.

Respect, which you mention, is in my opinion, the basis of Eco's post. Spamming the forum with a single topic, without a willingness to even discuss said topic, is not respectful.

Spoken like a true forum Nazi!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 19
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 7:53 am)

You may have missed the last 2 sentences:

Doesn't seem to be very opaque to me, but hey- too each his own. The first sentence means that he is addressing the moderator saying he(eco) understands if the mod doesn't feel it is appropriate for him to start this dialog (see title of thread: Dialog). This does not mean that he asking asking the moderator to censor one or more members, other than potentially himself in this specific case.

The second sentence means he would be interested to see(read: read) what others think about the impact that just a few people like this:
has a habit of insulting anyone that disagrees, posts short statements, or pastes someone else's, starts many threads, mostly about guns, and locks them when he gets negative feedback.

can have on the overall level of conversation. I still lurk a bit, but rarely post here anymore because of it. It just takes too much effort to weed through the crap to find a meaningful "conversation". I still read through here because I have honestly learned a lot through what others have shared and still do. It has just become to frustrating for me to interact much.

People like Buggy are usually gone in a couple months and I agree that the best thing to do is ignore - with the button or without. Unfortunately, these folks are like a hydra. I am not talking about sides of the political spectrum, I am talking about style of engagement.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wailer @ Apr. 10 2013, 12:00 pm)
I am talking about style of engagement.

Now we have the "style" Nazis!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 10 2013, 11:49 am)

I feel bad for you son.  I really do.  To live in the sort of world you do is tragic.  I pray for you, I really do.

Worst of all, you sling the word Nazi around without any regard for those whose families may have suffered at the hands of those very people.  Despite all the vitriol in the TPA, I find your speech to be hateful.

The other sad thing in all of this, is that I probably own more guns than you, and do care about our 2nd Amendment rights.  I just don't adhere to the pronouncements of the NRA, or any of the misinformation coming from people (avatars) like you.  I would never want to be associated with your ilk, hence my silence on gun topics.

To be quite honest I'm embarrassed to be a gun owner. Why? Not because of some "perceived assault" on our rights, but I'm embarrassed because it's people like you, who are the most vocal supporters of guns, and I can't very well support someone who apparently doesn't have an intelligence level to respond to me with an in-kind retort (you know responding to me with an equally thoughtful response).

Ah, but you didn't know that about me did you?  You just hurl insults that I find pretty offensive. Again, I'm truly sad for you, and hope you find clarity and reality one day.  Good luck.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SPAM!! It's what's for dinner!!

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Apr. 10 2013, 12:05 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 10 2013, 11:49 am)

I feel bad for you son.  I really do.  To live in the sort of world you do is tragic.  I pray for you, I really do.

Worst of all, you sling the word Nazi around without any regard for those whose families may have suffered at the hands of those very people.  Despite all the vitriol in the TPA, I find your speech to be hateful.

The other sad thing in all of this, is that I probably own more guns than you, and do care about our 2nd Amendment rights.  I just don't adhere to the pronouncements of the NRA, nor anybody like you.  I would never want to be associated with your ilk, hence my silence on gun topics.

To be quite honest I'm embarrassed to be a gun owner. Why? Not because of some "perceived assault" on our rights, but I'm embarrassed because it's people like you, who are the most vocal supporters of guns, and I can't very well support someone who apparently doesn't have an intelligence level to respond to me with an in-kind retort (you know responding to me with an equally thoughtful response).

Ah, but you didn't know that about me did you?  You just hurl insults that I find pretty offensive. Again, I'm truly sad for you, and hope you find clarity and reality one day.  Good luck.

Keep your "prayers" and your self aggrandizing slather for somebody who actually gives a cra*!

Gun owning apologists like you are the worst thing possible thing in this gun grabbing environment!

Now go live up to your "not engaging" pledge!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 24
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 6:28 am)
We don't need censorship.

The TOS page is pretty hard to find at the bottom of the pages here, but here is the way it starts:

RULES OF CONDUCT
Backpacker.com visitors represent a wide variety of backgrounds and interests and, you may encounter content that differs in tone or scope from your own thoughts and beliefs. We hope that you will approach these situations with acceptance.

Backpacker.com is committed to protecting a high level of freedom of expression and to maintaining a welcoming and safe community in which that expression can flourish. We will not censor members for expressing an opinion, within the limits of these Rules of Conduct. We will take action against any behavior that disrupts conversations and community on the Site. Backpacker.com has the right, but not the obligation, to remove or move any user-generated content for any reason, without notice. These Rules of Conduct reflect the standards of behavior our members find acceptable.

- - -

FYI, the Rules of Conduct ask users to be respectful. Calling others "nazis" and such is hardly that! I remove or edit as much as I can to try to maintain some basic level of civility, but I am just one guy with a load of spam to tread through! Oh the great joy!

Meanwhile, some more clean-up is coming soon. Stay tuned.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Apr. 10 2013, 6:33 am)

Agreed.

And on the plus side all that blue is very soothing.

As to the OT? Well, if past is prologue they'll lose interest and wander off at some point. In the meantime the tedium is starting to wear thin... an entire front page on occassion that's nothing but mindless cut and pastes with zero added content from the poster is getting seriousely old.

IMHO, of course.
 Post Number: 26
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ron said

If we were going to use the TPA post content as a guide the argument could be made that Dennis or LandRover are nothing more than DNC shills.

Poor memory or just lying Ron? It was only 2 weeks ago Ron yet you said what you said
above about me?

It is extremely disingenuous to compare me to bug or suggest I'm a shill. A shill doesn't
criticize  their own party(I do as those examples above I posted directly to you) or give
elaborate nuanced explanations to back up what they say.  Shills repeat the same simple
slogans and talking points over and over again which can be described in short responses
(that is not apply to me).  You sloganeer more than me Ron.

Furthermore its you who all of the sudden changed your foreign policy away from the
neo-onservative foreign policy when Obama was elected.  Is that a coincidence? If a
republican was president now with the exact same foreign policy I wonder if you still
wouldn't be pushing the neoconservative foreign policy? I'm sure you will deny it but I'm
not so sure.

So there is more evidence that you're a shill than I am.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 27
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bp2go @ Apr. 10 2013, 11:41 am)

(Montecresto @ Apr. 10 2013, 6:28 am)
We don't need censorship.

The TOS page is pretty hard to find at the bottom of the pages here, but here is the way it starts:

RULES OF CONDUCT
Backpacker.com visitors represent a wide variety of backgrounds and interests and, you may encounter content that differs in tone or scope from your own thoughts and beliefs. We hope that you will approach these situations with acceptance.

Backpacker.com is committed to protecting a high level of freedom of expression and to maintaining a welcoming and safe community in which that expression can flourish. We will not censor members for expressing an opinion, within the limits of these Rules of Conduct. We will take action against any behavior that disrupts conversations and community on the Site. Backpacker.com has the right, but not the obligation, to remove or move any user-generated content for any reason, without notice. These Rules of Conduct reflect the standards of behavior our members find acceptable.

- - -

FYI, the Rules of Conduct ask users to be respectful. Calling others "nazis" and such is hardly that! I remove or edit as much as I can to try to maintain some basic level of civility, but I am just one guy with a load of spam to tread through! Oh the great joy!

Meanwhile, some more clean-up is coming soon. Stay tuned.

Banhammer in....3...2...1.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guns are for wimps.
 Post Number: 29
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Apr. 10 2013, 12:31 pm)
Ron said

If we were going to use the TPA post content as a guide the argument could be made that Dennis or LandRover are nothing more than DNC shills.

Poor memory or just lying Ron? It was only 2 weeks ago Ron yet you said what you said
above about me?

It is extremely disingenuous to compare me to bug or suggest I'm a shill. A shill doesn't
criticize  their own party(I do as those examples above I posted directly to you) or give
elaborate nuanced explanations to back up what they say.  Shills repeat the same simple
slogans and talking points over and over again which can be described in short responses
(that is not apply to me).  You sloganeer more than me Ron.

Furthermore its you who all of the sudden changed your foreign policy away from the
neo-onservative foreign policy when Obama was elected.  Is that a coincidence? If a
republican was president now with the exact same foreign policy I wonder if you still
wouldn't be pushing the neoconservative foreign policy? I'm sure you will deny it but I'm
not so sure.

So there is more evidence that you're a shill than I am.

I do not think you or LandRover are like folks who spam the board.

Rereading my post it reads worse than what I meant or intended!

Really I was just reflecting back on years of posts from you guys that seemed to follow the Dem party line. It would not seem unusual for someone to think "Jeez, what are these guys? DNC office workers posting on their lunch break?"  :)

Personally I have made a real effort to not engage in inflammatory postings since I've been back.

As we can see, even with that intention there can be miscommunication, esp among those who don't default to assuming the best of each other.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 30
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with the OP: the guy he's referring to has, indeed, been spamming the forum on a regular basis. He's not attempting to contribute or establish any kind of dialog - he's simply attempting to disrupt the entire forum. It doesn't reflect well at all on the group of people who align themselves with his viewpoint - not at all.

In fact, I've stayed away a great deal more than usual lately because it simply makes no sense to attempt to discuss anything with the guy, or attempt to have a conversation with anyone else around) an individual who repeatedly merely to disrupt conversations, and who isn't even actually interested in discussing the subject in which he's apparently most interested with anyone who disagrees.

This isn't a problem that can be easily resolved. If you ban the guy, he could simply return in the form of yet another user id and raise still more havoc. It's also a problem that seems to plague all communities online.

Some sites, like BPL, have simply removed the ability of anyone other than paying customers to post. Others have set up a system of internal controls, such that posts by any particular individual are flagged by other users with a simple rating system, and all individuals are rated, then dynamically granted privileges (like posting new threads) based on their current rating and, perhaps, longevity. Not knowing anything at all about the forum software, and observing after some use that it's apparently not all that sophisticated, I'd suggest that anything more advanced than issuing warnings from the moderator and, eventually, simply cancelling a specific individual's right to post using a specific user id is not possible.

It would be be nice if the forum and its software supported some kind of ranking/longevity system that took into consideration the community's rating of posts by the individual and how long they've been a reliable and nonabusive contributor to the community. That probably isn't a viable choice now, with this software, and probably won't ever be. On the other hand, if the current situation is fixed via "banning", it's only a matter of time before there's someone else doing the same thing, at least with the current software.
61 replies since Apr. 10 2013, 1:04 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dialog
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions