2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yet Another Deranged Attack, Boston Marathon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 4:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boston Marathon Attack

Another senseless killing - this time in Boston. Two dead so far, twenty-something injured.

I just don't see why there is so much delay in outlawing guns.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The story here says that parents of the dead at Newtown were seated in the "VIP section" near the end of the race, right where the explosions occurred. No one seems to know if any of them were among the injured.

Apparently, the last mile of the race was dedicated to the Newtown, Conn. shootings, a moment of silence was observed for each of the 26 victims before the race, and some of the Newtown parents ran in the race to honor the victims.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/nationa....50
One can't assume, of course, who set the explosives or what their motivation was, but...this seems more than a simple "coincidence".

Your cynicism seems obvious, at least to me, given that this was a bomb and not a gun attack - but that is stupidly silly. There's far too much emphasis on violent means in this country, and the presence of such a large number of weapons, regardless of what type, is not helpful in ending the violent rhetoric.
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's also a thread on this in the TR, without any political spin.  It's been uncomfortable here in the financial district (with utter tragedy just miles away), and all those I know are safe at this point in time, but this is one of my saddest days as a Bostonian.  

We can only hope those with injuries will make it out okay, and a special hope that the Newtown families did not have to suffer further...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Apr. 15 2013, 2:29 pm)
Boston Marathon Attack

Another senseless killing - this time in Boston. Two dead so far, twenty-something injured.

Yes, let's outlaw guns....that will stop people from planting bombs.

Your logic is, as usual, spot on.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Video of the bombs going off here:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013....plosion
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, let's outlaw guns....that will stop people from planting bombs.

Your logic is, as usual, spot on.
What the pro-gun people don't seem to understand is that the proliferation of guns and the associated rhetoric doesn't do anything to quell the violent rhetoric in this country.

Whenever gun supporters start pointedly talking about using guns to "fight against tyranny", they have gone over the top completely.

As High_Sierra_Fan said very well, at least IMHO:

"The Constitution is not a suicide pact."

Anyone who thinks it is is clearly an idiot. We need to reduce the violent rhetoric in this country. One way to start is to make it absolutely clear that there is no need whatsoever for the people to have military weapons in order to fight our own government. That never made any sense at all, and it never will.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While focusing on the BM bombing, spare a thought for the poor Iraqis too -- who have been dealing with bombings for years now -- since we removed the Saddam regime with almost no thought to its replacement!  :angry:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 15 2013, 5:59 pm)
While focusing on the BM bombing, spare a thought for the poor Iraqis too -- who have been dealing with bombings for years now -- since we removed the Saddam regime with almost no thought to its replacement!  :angry:

So the Boston Marathon bombing is Bush's fault?

Thanks for the confirmation.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 9
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jerk

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Apr. 15 2013, 4:00 pm)

Jerk

Are Iraqis not humans as well?

We caused -- directly and indirectly -- massive death, destruction and suffering all around the world.  Jerks are those who get all emotional only when Americans are involved!

Trivializing the deaths of fellow Americans?  NO.  Just a reminder that death is painful for EVERYONE!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bill g @ Apr. 15 2013, 3:18 pm)

So the Boston Marathon bombing is Bush's fault?

Thanks for the confirmation.

Comprehension FAIL!

BM bomber(s) could be Al Qaeda related.
BM bomber(s) could be purely domestic.

Post was about EMPATHY for the Iraqis -- which no one here seemed to care anymore...  Sad, esp. since America had its hands in blood.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

? ? ?

More like the Atlanta Olympic Park bomb than anything involving firearms.
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are far too many people operating with their outrage response red lined. Over stimulated by heated rhetoric, quasi news that sounds much like hate speech, and people believing hyperbole as if it were the gospel truth. This tragic event shouldn't surprise anyone.

Even odds that these terrorists are domestic or foreign.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 14
1camper Search for posts by this member.
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really, no rush to put a political spin on this cowardly attack.  This place never changes..

Love that Sig line Eco!  ..although I'm not sure I agree.  I've pick up some real gems from strangers.

--------------
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 15
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly how would banning guns have prevented this bombing?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 7:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Come on Bass. I really want to see your explanation on how removing all guns from the face of the planet will stop use of bombs and other killing "devices". Of course you also said that removing guns prevents suicide.

--------------

Post Number: 17
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish the news crews would stop looping the bomb video 24/7.

We saw what happened the first three hundred times you showed us.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 7:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Apr. 17 2013, 7:31 am)
I wish the news crews would stop looping the bomb video 24/7.

We saw what happened the first three hundred times you showed us.

One of my local stations interviewed a child psychologists while looping the bombing video.  During the interview she said "don't let your children watch the bomb videos over and over..." as the station played the bomb video over and over...
 Post Number: 19
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 17 2013, 6:05 am)
Come on Bass. I really want to see your explanation on how removing all guns from the face of the planet will stop use of bombs and other killing "devices". Of course you also said that removing guns prevents suicide.

My mistake. When I made the initial post, I was under the impression that it was a planned coordination of shotgun attacks. I should have waited before I posted.

But I have stated in another thread that Americans abhor science and chemistry and cannot learn to make bombs and IED's as people in the Middle East do. The easy availability of guns in America makes it too easy for Americans to reach for a gun.

So the argument can be made that making America a gun free society would NOT result in the crazies using bombs and arson and other offensive weapons. Americans simply aren't smart enough to make the sophisticated bombs from everyday items that are used in Afghanistan.

Without guns, any mass killings in America will be executed by foreigners who know how to make bombs. So at least these senseless deaths will be greatly reduced. That is a good start.
 Post Number: 20
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Apr. 15 2013, 4:29 pm)
Boston Marathon Attack

Yet another deranged disconnect from reality. Clearly shows a loss of being able to decipher facts from propaganda of a tiny few in this county.
It's too bad because it restricts constructive dialogue between the two sides that can actually prevents injuries and deaths that are happening in ever decreasing numbers.

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 21
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Apr. 17 2013, 8:20 am)

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 17 2013, 6:05 am)

My mistake. When I made the initial post, I was under the impression that it was a planned coordination of shotgun attacks. I should have waited before I posted.

But I have stated in another thread that Americans abhor science and chemistry and cannot learn to make bombs and IED's as people in the Middle East do. The easy availability of guns in America makes it too easy for Americans to reach for a gun.

So the argument can be made that making America a gun free society would NOT result in the crazies using bombs and arson and other offensive weapons. Americans simply aren't smart enough to make the sophisticated bombs from everyday items that are used in Afghanistan.

Without guns, any mass killings in America will be executed by foreigners who know how to make bombs. So at least these senseless deaths will be greatly reduced. That is a good start.

Agreed. The true miracle is that us morons put the right ammo in our guns. Did you know that you can't use bullets in shotguns, and that bullets come in different sizes? Who knew, right?

Must be foreigners that make meth, too. Us Americans are too dumb to figger out that chemistry.

Maybe it's just more evidence of divine intervention.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Apr. 17 2013, 6:20 am)

Seems you hold a pretty low opinion of your fellow countrymen.

We abhor science and chemistry more than people who make their women wear burkas?

I'll make a bet right now that they find the bomber is a US citizen.
 Post Number: 23
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I gotta say Bass you managed to jerk more chains with those two posts than any example I have seen here.

Glad I don't live in your neighborhood.  There might be some real pathological reasons behind that kind of extreme irony and failure to empathize.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You really are delusional if you truly believe that.

--------------

Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He doesn't believe anything of the kind, he just wants you and I to react with outrage.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 7:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two brothers from Chechnya?, some of you have some walking back to do.  I'm going out on a limb and guessing they're Muslims, or raised by Muslims.  One dead wearing suicide vest dies in hail of bullets. Younger brother at large.

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both graduated from high school in the US, both highly skilled athletes, at least the younger very non-Muslim social behavior, much more the all American teenager.

Maybe that is the problem??

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 28
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All Americans boys?  Don't kid yourself.

In recent months, he appeared increasingly drawn to radical Islam. On a YouTube channel, he shared videos of lectures from a radical Islamic cleric; in one, voices can be heard singing in Arabic as bombs explode.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/politic....ry.html

Apparently radicalized in Massachusetts..

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 29
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(1camper @ Apr. 19 2013, 5:36 pm)
All Americans boys?  Don't kid yourself.

In recent months, he appeared increasingly drawn to radical Islam. On a YouTube channel, he shared videos of lectures from a radical Islamic cleric; in one, voices can be heard singing in Arabic as bombs explode.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/politic....ry.html

Apparently radicalized in Massachusetts..

Maybe. But wasn't the older brother out of the country for 6 months last year?
 Post Number: 30
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many LEO's couldn't find that guy?  Tell me again how I should rely on the police for my personal protection.  

Police don't stop crime.  They investigate it, then hope that they can catch the perpetrator before he or she commits another crime.  

I'll take first responder responsibility for my personal safety.  I can't rely on 1000's of LEO's going house to house to protect me.
30 replies since Apr. 15 2013, 4:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yet Another Deranged Attack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions