2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Reality Sets in...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"The devout Christian explained that she felt vulnerable because she had nothing to protect her family except a wicker basket.

“I’m trying to calm Jeffrey down and all I had was this wicker basket,” Sherri said. “I have nothing, a bat, nothing. We’re going to get a gun.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusi....nvasion

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 1:04 pm)
"The devout Christian explained that she felt vulnerable because she had nothing to protect her family except a wicker basket.

“I’m trying to calm Jeffrey down and all I had was this wicker basket,” Sherri said. “I have nothing, a bat, nothing. We’re going to get a gun.”

Except that, as a factual matter, owning a gun actually makes her less safe--not safer. So it sure as hell ain't reality that's setting in, in this case. More like delusion, or magical thinking.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This buggyboo guy is just a bullet or two away from being the next Darwin Award recipient.
 Post Number: 4
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank goodness she survived the false alarm and she didn't have a gun to start poppin rounds at anything that moved.

Well, as the article pointed out the devout Christian could have blessed the wicker basket into the Holy Wicker Basket from Antioch.
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been hit by one of two of those wicker baskets, and those things hurt!
 Post Number: 6
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Decisions based on fear. Good idea. Now Buggy, tell us one other thing in this universe that you agree with this woman about? You have all the strategic thinking ability of a dog chasing cars.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 29 2013, 6:14 pm)
Decisions based on fear. Good idea. Now Buggy, tell us one other thing in this universe that you agree with this woman about? You have all the strategic thinking ability of a dog chasing cars.

Here is what her decision was based on:

"The devout Christian explained that she felt vulnerable because she had nothing to protect her family except a wicker basket."

You have all the strategic thinking ability of a sheeple following the masses into the gas chambers for a "quick delousing"!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And she will end up shooting her husband or son next time the alrm goes off erroneously.

I think she has the right to arm herself for self-protection, but reading her statements and reasoning leaves me concerned that she is exactly the type of person who will end up exercising that right without a good outcome.

She already admitted that she had an intruder alarm BUT NO FREAKING PLAN IF IT WENT OFF!!!

So what can we expect her to do with a gun.  Get it, load it, put it under he pillow, and start shooting?  Great plan.  

She needs to re-think this.
 Post Number: 9
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bug is near death (hopefully).

We can only hope that our country's longtime love affair with guns is nearing death as well - especially the idea of "guns as the source of all our freedoms".

What a hoot. Some people will believe just about anything.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Apr. 29 2013, 6:42 pm)
Bug is near death (hopefully).

We can only hope that our country's longtime love affair with guns is nearing death as well - especially the idea of "guns as the source of all our freedoms".

What a hoot. Some people will believe just about anything.

Watch where your pointing that gun in your avatar Crabby, you have your finger on the trigger! That's breaking the most basic gun safety rule of them all! :D

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 29 2013, 6:37 pm)
And she will end up shooting her husband or son next time the alrm goes off erroneously.

I think she has the right to arm herself for self-protection, but reading her statements and reasoning leaves me concerned that she is exactly the type of person who will end up exercising that right without a good outcome.

She already admitted that she had an intruder alarm BUT NO FREAKING PLAN IF IT WENT OFF!!!

So what can we expect her to do with a gun.  Get it, load it, put it under he pillow, and start shooting?  Great plan.  

Hey No Gods, being that you can predict the future and know just exactly how it will unfold with this woman, can you send me the lotto numbers for next week?
Take your time to make tea and read the leaves or shine up your Crystal ball, I know predicting the future is heard work! :D

Anybody who can be on a nation wide, highly rated television show must be an absolute idiot who can't even read a book or dress themselves in the morning. They probably don't even let her hold a pencil!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 3:56 pm)
Hey No Gods, being that you can predict the future and know just exactly how it will unfold with this woman, can you send me the lotto numbers for next week?
Take your time to make tea and read the leaves or shine up your Crystal ball, I know predicting the future is heard work! :D

Or maybe nogods simply understands relative probabilities (which you, clearly, do not).

Just a thought.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 6:56 pm)

Anybody who can be on a nation wide, highly rated television show must be an absolute idiot who can't even read a book or dress themselves in the morning. They probably don't even let her hold a pencil!

We can predict behavior based on exhibited irresponsible behavior.  That's why we don't let those with domestic violence histories or DWI's own guns.

When someone has no plan for dealing with an emergency, giving them a gun to deal with the next emergency is not a rational decision, except to someone who thinks a gun is a cure for everything from fear to impotence.
 Post Number: 14
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buggy, "Woof..., woof, woof."

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:02 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 6:56 pm)

We can predict behavior based on exhibited irresponsible behavior.  That's why we don't let those with domestic violence histories or DWI's own guns.

When someone has no plan for dealing with an emergency, giving them a gun to deal with the next emergency is not a rational decision, except to someone who thinks a gun is a cure for everything from fear to impotence.

Please tell us of your intimate knowledge of Sherri Shepherd and how she is "someone who thinks a gun is a cure for everything from fear to impotence.!"

Where did you two meet? How do you know so much about her?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Apr. 29 2013, 4:06 pm)

Except that, as a factual matter, owning a gun actually makes her less safe--not safer. So it sure as hell ain't reality that's setting in, in this case. More like delusion, or magical thinking.

"Lies, Damned Lies and Washington CeaseFire’s Statistics"

"But again, what does that mean? It means that keeping a gun in the home raises your chance of being killed with a gun from 1 in 26,186 to 1 in 17,004 whereas your chance of dying from something other than gunshot? 1 in 205."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012....tistics

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:08 pm)
Please tell us of your intimate knowledge of Sherri Shepherd and how she is "someone who thinks a gun is a cure for everything from fear to impotence.!"

Uh..she made a public  pronouncement of her lack of preparedness for an emergency.

Like someone who installs a fire alarm but has no plan if it should go off.

Ya think "I'm getting a fire extinguisher" is a rational mature intelligent response to "the fire alarm went off and I stained my pants because I had no plan?"  A fire extinguisher under your pillow is not a plan for dealing with a house fire.  Your first response to a fire should be to get out, not put out, the fire. Before attempting to put out a fire you need to position yourself between the fire and an exit in case you don't succeed.  Otherwise you need a good life insurance plan.

Maybe she should get herself a set of surgical knives in case someone in her house gets sick and needs medical attention.

And why didn't she listen to the alarm.  It told her to get out of the house.  What was her plan for that?  "I'll put in an intruder alarm so if it goes off...I can get on TV and tell the world how I had no plan to deal with an intruder but I'm going to get a gun in case I have to shoot that damn intruder alarm next time."
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:37 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:08 pm)

Uh..she made a public  pronouncement of her lack of preparedness for an emergency.

Like someone who installs a fire alarm but has no plan if it should go off.

Ya think "I'm getting a fire extinguisher" is a rational mature intelligent response to "the fire alarm went off and I stained my pants because I had no plan?"  A fire extinguisher under your pillow is not a plan for dealing with a house fire.  Your first response to a fire should be to get out, not put out, the fire. Before attempting to put out a fire you need to position yourself between the fire and an exit in case you don't succeed.  Otherwise you need a good life insurance plan.

Maybe she should get herself a set of surgical knives in case someone in her house gets sick and needs medical attention.

And why didn't she listen to the alarm.  It told her to get out of the house.  What was her plan for that?  "I'll put in an intruder alarm so if it goes off...I can get on TV and tell the world how I had no plan to deal with an intruder but I'm going to get a gun in case I have to shoot that damn intruder alarm next time."

So she is totally incapable of researching how to responsibly obtain a firearm, training herself and defending herself as opposed to a highly train SWAT officer that we delegate our safety to?

"A SWAT team in upstate New York is being mocked as an example of the difference between military and police training after an officer was captured peering through a backwards sight on his combat rifle."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....tnN8jWd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 4:19 pm)

"But again, what does that mean? It means that keeping a gun in the home raises your chance of being killed with a gun from 1 in 26,186 to 1 in 17,004 whereas your chance of dying from something other than gunshot? 1 in 205."

You do understand that you just made an effective argument against needing a gun for self-defense, right?

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:42 pm)
So she is totally incapable of researching how to responsibly obtain a firearm, training herself and defending herself as opposed to a highly train SWAT officer that we delegate our safety to?

I must have missed the part where she said she was going to use the experience to explore ways to protect herself and her family, including a plan to deal with an intruder that might include use of a weapon.

All I saw was "I'm gettin' a gun!"

Maybe you can tell us about the conversation you had with her about her the subject.  until then we'll just have to rely on what she said.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 29 2013, 8:00 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:42 pm)

I must have missed the part where she said she was going to use the experience to explore ways to protect herself and her family, including a plan to deal with an intruder that might include use of a weapon.

All I saw was "I'm gettin' a gun!"

Maybe you can tell us about the conversation you had with her about her the subject.  until then we'll just have to rely on what she said.

So your saying that's it's an impossibility she can be a responsible gun owner based on one sentence?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:55 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 4:19 pm)

You do understand that you just made an effective argument against needing a gun for self-defense, right?

"It means that keeping a gun in the home raises your chance of being killed with a gun from 1 in 26,186 to 1 in 17,004 whereas your chance of dying from something other than gunshot? 1 in 205.
I think I’ll take my chances with the guns
."

Boy TT, if you want to think that from this statement, that's OK with me. ???

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 5:36 pm)
"It means that keeping a gun in the home raises your chance of being killed with a gun from 1 in 26,186 to 1 in 17,004 whereas your chance of dying from something other than gunshot? 1 in 205.
."

Okay...your response isn't even coherent. But since you seem not to comprehend, let me spell it out for you:

1) Your "argument" against the relative danger of owning a gun is that the odds of it causing your death are (as you see it) relatively small; but

2) Those odds are still, in fact, greater than those of the same thing happening if you don't have a gun; so

3) The supposed "threat" people who don't have a gun for "self-defense" is, in your own estimation, miniscule; which means

4) The very notion of "needing" a firearm for "self-defense" is ludicrous*.

Got it now?

*Except, of course, for people who have some well-founded reason for it--women who have fled domestic abusers, e.g.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Buggyboo character is impervious to facts and logic (i.e. "reality"). I refer to him as the Buggyboo "character" because he may very well be a fictional persona conjured up by a liberal who wants to make conservatives look like brainless buffoons by posting incoherent drivel in online forums.

Whoever you are, you should be ashamed of yourself for employing such tactics. We do sometimes attempt to have serious discussions here, and there are some worthwhile conservative contributors.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 25
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Apr. 30 2013, 5:03 am)
The Buggyboo character is impervious to facts and logic (i.e. "reality"). I refer to him as the Buggyboo "character" because he may very well be a fictional persona conjured up by a liberal who wants to make conservatives look like brainless buffoons by posting incoherent drivel in online forums.

Whoever you are, you should be ashamed of yourself for employing such tactics. We do sometimes attempt to have serious discussions here, and there are some worthwhile conservative contributors.

Bingo!
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Apr. 30 2013, 12:11 am)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 29 2013, 5:36 pm)
."

Okay...your response isn't even coherent. But since you seem not to comprehend, let me spell it out for you:

1) Your "argument" against the relative danger of owning a gun is that the odds of it causing your death are (as you see it) relatively small; but

2) Those odds are still, in fact, greater than those of the same thing happening if you don't have a gun; so

3) The supposed "threat" people who don't have a gun for "self-defense" is, in your own estimation, miniscule; which means

Got it now?

*Except, of course, for people who have some well-founded reason for it--women who have fled domestic abusers, e.g.

Think you are agree with me, OK that's a start.

Technically, but as opposed to what?

Technically, but those circumstances can change instantly based on the unforeseeable.

That's where your logic went off the road, in the ditch and crashed in the buckwheat.

Got it now?

Until #4 kinda? :;):

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 30 2013, 1:50 pm)
Technically, but those circumstances can change instantly based on the unforeseeable.

"Safety" is a purely probabilistic concept; it has no meaning separate from statistics. So the question of whether owning a gun makes you "safer" has nothing to do with whether "circumstances can change", and everything to do with the relative likelihood of various outcomes.

In this case, the likelihood of a (gun-related) fatal outcome is higher if you own a gun than if you don't. So, owning a gun makes you less safe.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Apr. 30 2013, 4:59 pm)
In this case, the likelihood of a (gun-related) fatal outcome is higher if you own a gun than if you don't. So, owning a gun makes you less safe.

For me personally, no. No potential of a child or family member accessing it (most common), I live in a safe area, have a home office so I am home more often that not, and don't leave weapons unattended. I have 47 years of continuous firearms possession experience and decades of in the field usage of them.
So I would say that is not true at all.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:09 pm)

(TehipiteTom @ Apr. 30 2013, 4:59 pm)

For me personally, no. No potential of a child or family member accessing it (most common), I live in a safe area, have a home office so I am home more often that not, and don't leave weapons unattended. I have 47 years of continuous firearms possession experience and decades of in the field usage of them.
So I would say that is not true at all.

Thing One: humans are notoriously inept at evaluating risk. So maybe your complacency is well-founded, and maybe not.

Thing Two: even if it's true that owning a gun does not make you, one individual, less safe, that has no bearing on the point that for most people owning a gun makes them less safe.

--------------
28 replies since Apr. 29 2013, 4:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Reality Sets in...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions