2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "It's a great day for the NBA.", And America, And Civility< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was very happy to hear Charles Barkley say this in response to Jason Collins coming out. I'm also grateful to see that a majority of my fellow citizens recognize we are a Constitutional Republic and not a Biblical Theocracy.

Freedom only rings when it's for every one of us consenting adults.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Apr. 29 2013, 4:57 pm)
I was very happy to hear Charles Barkley say this in response to Jason Collins coming out. I'm also grateful to see that a majority of my fellow citizens recognize we are a Constitutional Republic and not a Biblical Theocracy.

+1

And I'm proud to have a President who recognizes all of this as well (he called Collins today).

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree.

And anyone who thinks that Collins won't take abuse from some people over this is living in a fantasy land. Probably the same people that think we are living in a post-race and post-class society.

Uh, no: we're not.
 Post Number: 4
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:57 pm)

+ 2 :)

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 5
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And hopefully we can all go back to not caring about this man's sexual preference

Soon

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ May 01 2013, 9:22 am)
And hopefully we can all go back to not caring about this man's sexual preference

Soon

Thank you.  I also look forward to the day when a person's sexual orientation does not warrant public discussion.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ May 01 2013, 9:22 am)

Soon

And I'm sure we will, once human rights are no longer conditional on affectional orientation.

Which is to say, your desire to maintain discriminatory practices serves to delay the event for which you claim to hope.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ May 01 2013, 11:30 am)
Thank you.  I also look forward to the day when a person's sexual orientation does not warrant public discussion.

And, of course, the fastest way to achieve that would be to treat people of all sexual orientations the same, including having the same legal rights and responsibilities, etc.

Your post can be read a couple different ways, so the following may or may not apply:

The idea of straight people saying that non-straight people should stop talking about sexual orientation is a little like slave owners telling the slaves to quit their bitching.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 01 2013, 12:05 pm)

(llamapacker @ May 01 2013, 11:30 am)

And, of course, the fastest way to achieve that would be to treat people of all sexual orientations the same, including having the same legal rights and responsibilities, etc.

GMTA.  :;):

The idea of straight people saying that non-straight people should stop talking about sexual orientation is a little like slave owners telling the slaves to quit their bitching.

+1.  Exactly right.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Collins' own words:

"I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."

The Sports Illustrated article by Jason Collins:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazin....-player

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm guessing his ex-fiancee of eight years is wishing he raised his hand a little sooner.  Or more likely he had decided which team he was on at that point.
 Post Number: 12
Squaretop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see which team picks him up.  I hear he is a free agent.

--------------
You can't buy time or memories.
"How'd I get involved".
 Post Number: 13
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why the need to come out?  The mental image of him sodomizing his boyfriend is extremely unpleasant.  Keep it to yourself.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ May 02 2013, 8:32 pm)
Why the need to come out?  The mental image of him sodomizing his boyfriend is extremely unpleasant.  Keep it to yourself.

Any time someone sees a man or a woman with a wedding ring, they are forced to contemplate disgusting acts of heterosexual depravity in ultra-lurid detail.

By your logic, anyway. By Earth logic...maybe not so much (whatever the person's affectional orientation).

--------------
 Post Number: 15
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ May 02 2013, 11:32 pm)

The "need" to come out comes from the fact a lot of intolerant ignoramuses suggest the actions of some consenting adults are comparable to rape or beastiality, and therefore subject to exclusion. Thank goodness language evolves with civility.

Fortunately such lunacy's days are not nearly as numbered as they were not too long ago.

This country will not succumb to the ignorant hatred of those that think the Republic is weak enough to destroy. The words of our founders honoring inclusion will not be misrepresented by these ignoramuses much longer at all. The unAmerican among us always have Saudi Arabia if honoring our true creed becomes to much for them.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ May 02 2013, 10:32 pm)

You're joking, right?

Any time a straight person hold's their partner's hand in public, or speaks in even the most casual way about their spouse, or displays pictures of their family at their workspace, or portrays their family with those vomitrocious stick-figure decals on the back of their car, they are ramming their heterosexuality down everyone's throat, by your logic.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 03 2013, 5:31 pm)

(justwalkin @ May 02 2013, 10:32 pm)

You're joking, right?

Any time a straight person hold's their partner's hand in public, or speaks in even the most casual way about their spouse, or displays pictures of their family at their workspace, or portrays their family with those vomitrocious stick-figure decals on the back of their car, they are ramming their heterosexuality down everyone's throat, by your logic.

You have issues.  Do those stick figures really bother you that much?

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking that if you are picturing the act of sodomy anytime someone says they are gay, that you may be the one with issues.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ May 02 2013, 8:32 pm)

That you immediately create that "mental image" has totally to do with you.

Thank you for sharing.
:)
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 04 2013, 9:42 am)
I'm thinking that if you are picturing the act of sodomy anytime someone says they are gay, that you may be the one with issues.

Oh yeah, like that doesn't cross YOUR mind.

I was raised not to discuss personal sexual predilections.  It seems like a reasonable and civil way to go through life.  Outing yourself and proclaiming to the world that you are a booty bandit is really beyond the pale.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ May 04 2013, 4:06 pm)

I was raised not to discuss personal sexual predilections.  It seems like a reasonable and civil way to go through life.  Outing yourself and proclaiming to the world that you are a booty bandit is really beyond the pale.

So whenever you see former President George H. W. Bush and his wife Barbara Bush your immediate goto is an image of they're all naked and sweaty going at "the act"?

:)

HYOH on that one.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ May 04 2013, 4:06 pm)

If the very mention of someone's affectional orientation makes you fantasize about them having sex, and if that repulses you, then you have some emotional issues that are way too serious for anyone here to deal with.

And you want to know what's way too much information? Knowing about the existence of your emotional issues.

Way beyond the pale, dude. Try to be a decent human being for once and just shut the hell up.

--------------
21 replies since Apr. 29 2013, 7:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "It's a great day for the NBA."
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions