2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: CMU Parade Controversy Over Naked Woman< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 10:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013....as-pope

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pictures (preferably video) or it didn't happen.

Seriously, though: this is yet another incident illustrating how completely ill-adapted the Roman church hierarchy is to a pluralistic, democratic society (having been a state-decreed religion in most of the areas where they're active for most of their history). The real mystery to me is why anyone would take this douchebag's desire to suppress dissent as anything other than what it is.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was surprised they could find a young woman who had enough lawn to shape into a cross.  I saw on some morning news program where 70% are either waxed off completely, or merely a small landing strip.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 29 2013, 11:23 pm)
I was surprised they could find a young woman who had enough lawn to shape into a cross.  I saw on some morning news program where 70% are either waxed off completely, or merely a small landing strip.

Waxing?

Jeez, thats so 1990.

Today its lazer.

Couple of applications and no more worries.

But back on topic, I dont know why they are getting all so butthurt over what this woman did. I mean, they spend their whole lives trying to control the one thing that makes them so upset.

LuLz

--------------
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"CMU Parade Controversy Over Naked Woman, Dressed As Pope"

My question is, "How can a naked woman be dressed?" Either she was naked or she wasn't.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Presumably the city of Pittsburgh and/or Carnegie Mellon University has anti-nudity ordinances, right? If they were violated, then those entities could/should deal with it.

It's hard for me to understand why RC officials would even feel the need to comment.
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh. She knew she wouldn't get in trouble. I'd have respect for her if she dressed as Muhammad. But then we all know we'd be reading a very different headline.

And if it was a man doing this, he'd be arrested for exposure and find himself a registered sex offender.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Apr. 30 2013, 6:41 am)
Presumably the city of Pittsburgh and/or Carnegie Mellon University has anti-nudity ordinances, right? If they were violated, then those entities could/should deal with it.

It's hard for me to understand why RC officials would even feel the need to comment.

I think they are commenting because the local law enforcement agencies declined to enforce an egregious violation of public nudity laws.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 9
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think in some areas, protests are granted more leniency regarding freedom of speech.  I doubt this woman would be allowed to normally walk around with only clothing on her top half.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Apr. 30 2013, 9:24 am)

(cweston @ Apr. 30 2013, 6:41 am)

I think they are commenting because the local law enforcement agencies declined to enforce an egregious violation of public nudity laws.

Unless this Zubik clown is in the habit of commenting every time a CMU student gets naked in public, that's clearly not the case.

His comments in that piece make it clear that wants to suppress expression based on its content.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 11
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But, she was handing out condoms!  

--------------

Post Number: 12
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Apr. 30 2013, 11:54 am)
His comments in that piece make it clear that wants to suppress expression based on its content.

Right--if you watch the video, you get more of his comments. His last statement is that she needs to be taught a lesson about bigotry.

One could argue about the applicability of the word "bigotry" to her actions (I don't see it), but the key here is that he's not saying she should have consequences for violating public nudity laws. He's saying that she should have consequences for demonstrating against the RCC in a distasteful manner.
 Post Number: 13
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, they don't like it any better when you nail your objections to the front door.  

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:03 pm)
Yeah, they don't like it any better when you nail your objections to the front door.  

She should be awarded the first annual Christopher Hitchens "Hitchslap" trophy 2013! :)

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In another story about this, that Zubik buffoon was particularly butthurt about the shaved cross.

The fact that he thinks the cross is sacred but women's genitalia aren't (in fact, he seems to think women's genitalia are the opposite of sacred) kind of sums up a lot of what's wrong with the Roman church.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Are we really losing a sense of the sacred, whether it's the cross or the star of David or it's a crescent or the American flag or the Bible or anything else?" Zubik said. "That's the big concern about this."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news....yxUPbgS

Sacred for a particular myth system does not equal copyrighted for all time and all ocassions.

Within the boundaries of membership? Sure. Outside in the entire rest of the world? Notsomuch.
 Post Number: 17
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 30 2013, 1:39 pm)

She should be awarded the first annual Christopher Hitchens "Hitchslap" trophy 2013! :)

I was referring to Luther's 95 Thesis, and the often mentioned but not historically accurate story of his nailing them to the front door of the church.  Not sure where Hitchens fits into this line of thought.  

--------------

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was a thorn in the side of religion the last decade of his life.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 30 2013, 5:04 pm)

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 30 2013, 1:39 pm)

I was referring to Luther's 95 Thesis, and the often mentioned but not historically accurate story of his nailing them to the front door of the church.  Not sure where Hitchens fits into this line of thought.  

My hero and mentor;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1A1fCRaaA

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 20
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Apr. 30 2013, 8:49 am)
Meh.

Meh back to you.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
19 replies since Apr. 29 2013, 10:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply CMU Parade Controversy Over Naked Woman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions