2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: IRS Knew Tea Party Was Being Targeted In 2011< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 6:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WASHINGTON — Senior Internal Revenue Service officials knew agents were targeting tea party groups as early as 2011, according to a draft of an inspector general's report obtained by The Associated Press that seemingly contradicts public statements by the IRS commissioner.

The IRS apologized Friday for what it acknowledged was "inappropriate" targeting of conservative political groups during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status. The agency blamed low-level employees, saying no high-level officials were aware.

But on June 29, 2011, Lois G. Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt organizations, learned at a meeting that groups were being targeted, according to the watchdog's report. At the meeting, she was told that groups with "Tea Party," `'Patriot" or "9/12 Project" in their names were being flagged for additional and often burdensome scrutiny, the report says.

The 9-12 Project is a group started by conservative TV personality Glenn Beck.

Lerner instructed agents to change the criteria for flagging groups "immediately," the report says.

The Treasury Department's inspector general for tax administration is expected to release the results of a nearly yearlong investigation in the coming week. The AP obtained part of the draft report, which has been shared with congressional aides.

Among the other revelations, on Aug. 4, 2011, staffers in the IRS' Rulings and Agreements office "held a meeting with chief counsel so that everyone would have the latest information on the issue."

On Jan, 25, 2012, the criteria for flagging suspect groups was changed to, "political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding Government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform/movement," the report says.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....D311750

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012....89.html

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The tax code requires 501©(4) groups to be operated "exclusively" for social welfare purposes -- which does not include intervention in political campaigns. The IRS has allowed the groups to engage in political activity as long as it was not their primary purpose. But for many of these groups, it's hard to see what other purpose they could possibly have.

It's also hard to see why a political group would file under section 501©(4) instead of under Section 527 -- the part of the tax code explicitly designed for political groups including PACs and super PACs -- other than to hide its donors. Like the C4s, the 527 groups are allowed to raise unlimited funds and pay no taxes. They just have to disclose who donates money.

Reform groups have been pressuring the IRS to enforce its rules for months. In February, a group of Democratic senators sent a letter to the IRS, which stated: "It is contrary to the letter and spirit of the statute for political organizations formed primarily to advocate for a political candidate or to run attack ads against other candidates to take advantage of section 501©(4)."

Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.), one the letter’s signers, praised the IRS inquiry. "The term 'social welfare organization' is clearly being used loosely these days,” Udall said in a statement. “Voters deserve to know who's behind the attack ads they see on TV and we need a multi-pronged approach to get there -- a tightening of regulations, disclosure legislation from Congress, and ultimately, a constitutional amendment to reduce the influence of money in our elections."

About damn time.

For efficiency why ever not start with ALL the secret groups that put "party" in their organization's title? I for one, and no doubt all conservatives who are on record deploring"government" waste, give a big kudo to going straight at the low hanging fruit first
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, only ACLU types deplore profiling, and if your not guilty why not answer a few questions? (I never understood that 5th amendment anyway).  Maybe use some enhanced interrogation techniques, you know just music (or maybe water boarding)

Anyway the former head of the IRS is a Bush appointee.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on posts 3 and 4

I would add that it is time to tax the religious groups that are so involved with politics as well.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 12 2013, 9:48 am)
+1 on posts 3 and 4

I would add that it is time to tax the religious groups that are so involved with politics as well.

No organization should be tax exempt.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a shred of charity in your heart.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 8
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People supported the IRS campaign to put Al Capone in jail using "imputed income" and other novel ways to "prove" that taxes were owed. The IRS has always been instrumental in auditing and harassing unpopular cults and causes and subjecting their leadership and members to endless audits and paperwork.

So why is everybody so upset about this now?

Getting the Facebook posts and names of people posting on the Tea Party Facebook page seems to me to be as good a way as any to come up with a list for lengthy taxpayer compliance audits. The list has to be compiled in some way. So why not give the Tea Party types a little something something to worry about if they join the organization?

This is nothing new. The tax code and its enforcement have always been used to direct social policy.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It will be interesting to see if the Rs can make anything more out of this.

But I haven't read anything suggesting they did what you state, like Nixon did supposedly to his enemies.

The IRS wasn't targeting individuals or even groups doing political work.  Only (reviewing their application) those who were claiming 501©(4) status, but doing political work.

It’s not clear whether any of the major groups that identify themselves as C4s -- and are well on their way toward collecting and spending tens of millions of dollars in this election cycle -- have been the subject of IRS inquiries. The IRS won't say, and it’s apparently a sensitive topic with the groups. Representatives from Karl Rove-associated Crossroads GPS, Obama-backing Priorities USA, and several others didn't respond to requests for comment.

"The IRS was bullied by Congress and backed off immediately. It will be interesting to see if the IRS has any backbone this time," Ryan said.

Another article said by the time the IRS determines anything these organization will have been dissolved, perhaps forming new ones under new names etc.

EDIT (found)

Whatever it does, the IRS remains limited in what it can do to watch over these groups. As a recent ProPublica investigation found: “One reason the IRS struggles is that it can’t match the speed of politics.” In other words, by the time these groups submit tax returns, they have often stopped operating or created new groups under new names.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh....-501c4s

--------------
 Post Number: 10
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't decide if some of the comments on this thread are scary, or just plain hilarious. When the Republicans again occupy the White House (assuming that does happen), and implore the same techniques against liberal political action groups, watch how the opinions flip.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 11
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ May 13 2013, 5:17 am)
People supported the IRS campaign to put Al Capone in jail using "imputed income" and other novel ways to "prove" that taxes were owed. The IRS has always been instrumental in auditing and harassing unpopular cults and causes and subjecting their leadership and members to endless audits and paperwork.

Getting the Facebook posts and names of people posting on the Tea Party Facebook page seems to me to be as good a way as any to come up with a list for lengthy taxpayer compliance audits. The list has to be compiled in some way. So why not give the Tea Party types a little something something to worry about if they join the organization?

This is nothing new. The tax code and its enforcement have always been used to direct social policy.

If the  IRS was also exacting the same scrutiny on groups with "progressive" or "social justice" in their names, then what you say has merit. But since this was demonstrably not the case, the IRS was being discriminatory without a rational, non-political basis for said discrimination.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 12
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The IRS has long been used as a political weapon to "get" adversaries. Even if they find nothing they have made that person and/or group spend much money and time "proving their innocence".
I thought this country was founded on "innocent until proven guilty"? Not so with the IRS and those that control it.

I say a wide investigation of all investigators up to and including the head of the IRS...they are all guilty until they prove their innocence. Those that can't are terminated with loss of all benefits, pensions, etc.
See how they like being on the receiving end of their own tyranny...

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, you don't think that the IRS should scrutinize applications for a tax exempt status by organizations that are politically active?

They were doing their job. Feel free to show evidence that anyone was unfairly denied tax exempt status and you might have a point.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blaming underlings seems to be a pattern?

And Cincinnati wasn't just some outlying IRS office, but one setup to do this Nationally.

Not sure if this is just some failed strategy to take heat off higher ups.  I guess that would depend if there is actually more to this story.  I think the press needs to look at some of these Tea Party groups that are complaining to see if they are charitable organizations, etc.

Oh and apparently what these organizations can be isn't that clear.

Many new groups filed for tax exemption under section 501©(4) of the tax code, which governs what are known as "social welfare" organizations. The rules for these groups allow them to spend up to 49 percent of their money directly attacking or promoting candidates for office.

http://www.npr.org/2013....-groups

The IRS actually finally approved some of these.  Seems like maybe they should have some standard tests/forms for these groups to submit?

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ May 13 2013, 6:29 am)
If the  IRS was also exacting the same scrutiny on groups with "progressive" or "social justice" in their names, then what you say has merit. But since this was demonstrably not the case, the IRS was being discriminatory without a rational, non-political basis for said discrimination.

From the link in my post #2:

The only known previous action by the IRS came in July, when it denied C4 status to three units of Emerge America, a group that identifies and trains Democratic women to run for office.

The IRS opened an examination into whether five large donors had violated the law by not declaring their contributions to political 501©(4) groups as gifts. But the agency stopped its inquiry after six Republican members of the Senate Budget Committee accused the IRS of pursuing a Democratic political vendetta.

So the IRS did deny 501©(4) to some democratic groups, and then caved to the Rs pressure not to pursue gift taxes of some donors. I guess so Rs donors don't have to worry abut this?  

So it seems like the R Senators are at least as improper?

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 3:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ May 13 2013, 9:29 am)

But the IRS has targetted liberal/progressive groups in the past like during the Bush administration

IRS examinations of politically vocal non-profits is not new—the most recent outrage to make the national
news was in 2006, when tax officials threatened and persecuted liberal churches during the presidency of
George W. Bush.

http://gawker.com/irs-did....4685119

Not a peep about this from right-wingers

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 17
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 13 2013, 10:09 am)
So, you don't think that the IRS should scrutinize applications for a tax exempt status by organizations that are politically active?

They were doing their job. Feel free to show evidence that anyone was unfairly denied tax exempt status and you might have a point.

Are you really that obtuse?

If the IRS were auditing ALL political groups this would not be news...or very disturbing

What you choose to ignore is that the IRS was ONLY auditing groups that did not support the president

Just like the Clinton years they were used to attack enemies of the the administtration

Somehow I think your tone would change if you had been audited for bashing GWB on this forum

But you and your buddies want to pretend that the misuse of power is fine as long as a Dem is in the Whiote House

Pathetic

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 6:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ May 14 2013, 3:04 am)

But the IRS has targetted liberal/progressive groups in the past like during the Bush administration

IRS examinations of politically vocal non-profits is not new—the most recent outrage to make the national
news was in 2006, when tax officials threatened and persecuted liberal churches during the presidency of
George W. Bush.

And now you resort to the "everyone does it" defense

Typical

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BillBab
What you choose to ignore is that the IRS was ONLY auditing groups that did not support the president

Not exactly - but your point is still valid. The IRS was Auditing 501c3 and 501c4 applications with the words "patriot" or "tea party" in the name of the applicant organization. The "audits" went way beyond asking for information that would normally be requested in order for the IRS to determine if the organization qualified for the requested tax status. The IRS also purposely slowed their responses. The IRS was clearly attempting to tie the organizations up in red tape and paperwork and make it all but impossible for the organizations to get the tax classification approved. This was NOT a normal "audit".

BillBab

There is along history of the IRS being used to harass political enemies, black-listed actors, unpopular cults and organizations, etc. In fact, focusing on the 501c3 and 501c4 organizations is not really a stretch of IRS power. The IRS campaign to find a way to jail Al Capone IS a real example of what CAN be done. And nobody has objected to the dubious tactics the IRS used then!

So I tend to agree with Michele Bachman - this is an issue to distract us from Benghazi.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As is typical, Jon Stewart is able to sum up the implications well:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch....arkness

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ May 14 2013, 8:20 am)
As is typical, Jon Stewart is able to sum up the implications well:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch....arkness

+1..... Right on!

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ May 14 2013, 6:39 am)

(Ecocentric @ May 13 2013, 10:09 am)

Are you really that obtuse?

If the IRS were auditing ALL political groups this would not be news...or very disturbing

Just like the Clinton years they were used to attack enemies of the the administtration

Somehow I think your tone would change if you had been audited for bashing GWB on this forum

But you and your buddies want to pretend that the misuse of power is fine as long as a Dem is in the Whiote House

Pathetic

I'm not being obtuse at all, but I am impressed that you know that word.

I asked for evidence, not your ever so partisan opinion which you almost never back up with facts. The IRS claims that these kind of investigations amounted to about 25% of the investigations they did on these kind of groups which does not sound terribly disproportionate.

I prefer to wait for the dust to settle, and find out what really happened, rather than to make hyperbolic accusations at the first whiff of scandal. Unlike those that launch based on the musings of puss buckets like Limbaugh and Beck.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several years ago, Shawshank Redemption introduced Obtuse into many vocabularies that did not know the definition of the word until then.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

“He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavored to .&#8201;.&#8201;. cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be initiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner.”

— Article II, Section 1, Articles of Impeachment against Richard M. Nixon, adopted by the House Judiciary Committee, July 29, 1974

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 14 2013, 11:11 am)
The IRS claims that these kind of investigations amounted to about 25% of the investigations they did on these kind of groups which does not sound terribly disproportionate.

No... the IRS agents were told to concentrate on conservative groups. As a result, 25% had either "Tea Party" or "Patriot" in their name. Several cases had other conservative-sounding names ("We the People", etc.)

See my linked video above at the 1:00 and 3:30 marks.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A draft report from the inspector general for the IRS obtained by CNN says agents were on the lookout to give special scrutiny to groups with "tea party" and "patriots" in their names as well as groups that had made statements criticizing "how the country is being run."

The report says in January 2012, the criteria was revised as "political action-type organizations involved in limiting/expanding government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform/movement."

The report also says IRS officials knew about the targeting of conservative groups in June 2011 -- and that the practice began as early as March 2010.

http://www.cnn.com/2013....t=hp_t2

AND

The number of tea party groups under examination had grown to more than 100 by June 2011, when Lerner is listed in the inspector general's report as getting her official briefing. The IRS asked the tea party groups to disclose such things as donors, names of family members who may plan to run for office, and printed copies of every page on their website and social media postings.

Lerner did order during that briefing that the IRS change its target terms for what kind of groups would have to go through the agency's rigorous review. The IRS "be-on-the-lookout" terms were changed a few days later from "various local organizations in the Tea Party movement" to "organizations involved with political, lobbying, or advocacy."

Yet Lerner's briefing ended with a commitment to "develop a guide sheet for processing these cases," and the intense questioning of tea party groups did not change. Letters were sent from the IRS office in Cincinnati, as well from at least one other office in Laguna Niguel, Calif., in January and early February 2012.

In addition, on Jan. 25, the "be-on-the-lookout" was changed again, from the more general terms introduced the previous summer to a more specific criteria: "political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform/movement."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....98.html

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ May 14 2013, 6:40 am)

(Dennis The Menace @ May 14 2013, 3:04 am)

George W. Bush.

Typical

Did no such thing

pointing out how the right-wing was silent does not therefore equate to the "everyone does it" defense

Oh and in case you didn't see this was in response to Buzzard saying "But since this was demonstrably
not the case"(just thought I add some perspective)

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are two videos(one from Chris Hayes and the other from Lawrence o'donnell) on this IRS story.
I think they do a pretty good job putting it into their proper perspective

http://www.rawstory.com/rs....scandal

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013....in-1959

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ May 14 2013, 3:09 pm)
Here are two videos(one from Chris Hayes and the other from Lawrence o'donnell) on this IRS story.
I think they do a pretty good job putting it into their proper perspective

http://www.rawstory.com/rs....scandal

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013....in-1959

No doubt there are problems with the exemption qualifiers (probably worthy of its own thread), but those links are merely deflections from the central issue (which now may also include disclosing confidential applications to left-wing media outlets).

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 12 2013, 10:06 pm)
Not a shred of charity in your heart.

There shouldn't be any exemptions in the tax code for anything.

--------------

57 replies since May 11 2013, 6:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply IRS Knew Tea Party Was Being Targeted In 2011
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions