2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Exams project, Questionnaire about Backpackers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Patronud Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We a group of Danish students that would really appreciate if you would take 5 minutes of your time to answer this questionnaire.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread and this seemed like the most offtopic section :)

Our goal is to get some information on traveling habits of backpackers and flashpackers :)

https://docs.google.com/forms....iewform
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're making the same mistake that every other European poll has made on these boards. Your backpacking and ours are NOT the same thing.

Ours is hiking miles on rough trails or even no trails (bushwhacking) in remote areas while carrying everything needed in a backpack and then setting up a tent (or maybe no tent at all) and sleeping on the ground. It does not involve mass transit,roads, restaurants and lodging, much less cities or other populated places.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some significant cultural differences, that in the interest of international peace and understanding, I would be happy to explore with one of those pretty Danish girls that I see on the internet. Feel free to have one contact me for some American style backpacking here, or send me a plane ticket and we can do it there.  :D

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 16 2013, 7:49 am)
You're making the same mistake that every other European poll has made on these boards. Your backpacking and ours are NOT the same thing.

Ours is hiking miles on rough trails or even no trails (bushwhacking) in remote areas while carrying everything needed in a backpack and then setting up a tent (or maybe no tent at all) and sleeping on the ground. It does not involve mass transit,roads, restaurants and lodging, much less cities or other populated places.

If you travel to do this you are still a backpacker in our eyes :)
A flashpacker how ever is a bit more techy and tends not to want to sleep in a tent or cook his own food :) and he/she often uses the social media to people updated on what they did and where they are :)

In the matter of big cities backpackers in our terms usually lives as cheap as possible and don't wish to spend money on unnecessary luxury, he/she is there to see things and experience things :)

There are beautiful girls in every country xD
 Post Number: 5
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_%28travel%29

vs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_%28wilderness%29

====

Travel to do the second could include a stay in accommodations and/or a restaurant on the way there or between adventures.  

I haven't done so in Europe, but planning a trip to Switzerland, and apparently other than "car" camping, camping out is generally discouraged, or not permitted.  Though one can request from say a farmer or lodge, or perhaps do so discreetly.  So it isn't really the same at all.

For instance we flew from Cleveland to Alaska, rented a car and immediately drove to a park to hike & campout.  No restaurant, no hostel, not even shopping for groceries.  Often the same for me here in the PNW , a few hours drive and I am at the trailhead etc.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One page:

Short enough to be harmless.

It would be fun to see what you do with it.
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took the survey.  It only took a few seconds, as I selected the answers randomly.
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patronud, I was having a little sport at your expense in my last post (for the sake of humor), but I have completed the survey. I would suggest that flashpacking and backpacking are not mutually exclusive, if I understand your distinction. The camping experience in North America as I practice it is much more self reliant. Motels and hostels are means to a wilderness experience. One of my favorite adventure destinations is Juneau, Alaska where I can take a bus from the airport to the National Forest for camping and hiking, or the Ferry Terminal to hike into the wilderness from even smaller towns. I do appreciate places to buy groceries, beer, and get a bed and a shower between backcountry hikes.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 16 2013, 1:16 pm)
One page:

We are studying to become multimedia designers, so we will make a website :D I can post a link or write it to you when we are done if you wish :D
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ May 16 2013, 1:09 pm)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_%28travel%29

vs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_%28wilderness%29

====

Travel to do the second could include a stay in accommodations and/or a restaurant on the way there or between adventures.  

I haven't done so in Europe, but planning a trip to Switzerland, and apparently other than "car" camping, camping out is generally discouraged, or not permitted.  Though one can request from say a farmer or lodge, or perhaps do so discreetly.  So it isn't really the same at all.

For instance we flew from Cleveland to Alaska, rented a car and immediately drove to a park to hike & campout.  No restaurant, no hostel, not even shopping for groceries.  Often the same for me here in the PNW , a few hours drive and I am at the trailhead etc.

Thank you :D I will see if I can make use of it in our assignment :D
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 16 2013, 1:44 pm)
Patronud, I was having a little sport at your expense in my last post (for the sake of humor), but I have completed the survey. I would suggest that flashpacking and backpacking are not mutually exclusive, if I understand your distinction. The camping experience in North America as I practice it is much more self reliant. Motels and hostels are means to a wilderness experience. One of my favorite adventure destinations is Juneau, Alaska where I can take a bus from the airport to the National Forest for camping and hiking, or the Ferry Terminal to hike into the wilderness from even smaller towns. I do appreciate places to buy groceries, beer, and get a bed and a shower between backcountry hikes.

I got the humor no worries ;)
Thank you for take the survey :D
^^ If I didn't live in Denmark I would like to try hiking my self :D but I don't think its built for hiking + not really many motels and stuff. mostly expensive hotels :D maybe I'll try Alaska when I am done studying :D
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Patronud @ May 16 2013, 12:34 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 16 2013, 1:16 pm)
One page:

We are studying to become multimedia designers, so we will make a website :D I can post a link or write it to you when we are done if you wish :D

Sure, sounds fun.

Don't know what "Flashpacking" is? (so that one I left blank)

Something like when I load a bike messenger bag and head to NYC?

Posting the link to this thread would be fine, more people would see it than a PM.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://flashpackerhq.com/flashpacker-defined/

There are a ton of different definitions :D

and there are some arguments to what it truly is^^

Then I will post it here in around 3 weeks :)
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes NA backpackers use civilized amenities as a means to the end. In European backpacking, it seems the means IS the end.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF you have heard of flashers?

=====

There are people doing the hostel thing here, but I would guess allot of them are using carry on type luggage, at least if they are flying, vs backpacks

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 5:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 16 2013, 6:29 pm)
Sometimes NA backpackers use civilized amenities as a means to the end. In European backpacking, it seems the means IS the end.

That would be flashpackers  :)
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 5:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ May 16 2013, 8:48 pm)

=====

There are people doing the hostel thing here, but I would guess allot of them are using carry on type luggage, at least if they are flying, vs backpacks

Yeah never met one though xD HSF??
 Post Number: 18
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished your survey.  One suggestion.  If I did it correctly, I couldn't answer that I am both a backpacker and a flash packer (as I understand the term).  Actually, I'm both depending on the goal of the trip and the locale.

Good luck with your project.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Patronud @ May 17 2013, 2:03 am)

=====

HSF (High_Sierra_Fan)

======

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patronud:

I just submitted my survey.  One suggestion, if I may:  include the definition of your subject matter (in this case, flashpacker vs. backpacker) at the top of your survey -- or at least a link to the definition.

Sometimes, people (e.g. me) think they know the definition, only to realize they got it wrong!  In my case, the word "flash"conjured up an image of a bare bones backpacker -- hiking light and fast to cover maximum distance -- as in fastpacking.

Only after scrolling down to your post #13 did I click to read your definition -- and was taken by surprise.  Flash doesn't mean fast, but somehow means long, slow and semi luxurious!  In your survey, I indicated I was a backpacker -- but should have indicated 'flashpacker' instead.  Oops..

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Patronud @ May 17 2013, 2:03 am)

=====

Pleading the fifth.

It was the sixties... and there was a vast over serving of tequila involved. Plus some really cute girls. Did I mention it was the sixties?

:cool:

But when it was a large coed group it was called streaking.

From what I've read.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 5:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 17 2013, 8:54 pm)
Just finished your survey.  One suggestion.  If I did it correctly, I couldn't answer that I am both a backpacker and a flash packer (as I understand the term).  Actually, I'm both depending on the goal of the trip and the locale.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you very much :) I will take it up with my group in future projects :D
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 5:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 17 2013, 9:16 pm)
Patronud:

I just submitted my survey.  One suggestion, if I may:  include the definition of your subject matter (in this case, flashpacker vs. backpacker) at the top of your survey -- or at least a link to the definition.

Sometimes, people (e.g. me) think they know the definition, only to realize they got it wrong!  In my case, the word "flash"conjured up an image of a bare bones backpacker -- hiking light and fast to cover maximum distance -- as in fastpacking.

Only after scrolling down to your post #13 did I click to read your definition -- and was taken by surprise.  Flash doesn't mean fast, but somehow means long, slow and semi luxurious!  In your survey, I indicated I was a backpacker -- but should have indicated 'flashpacker' instead.  Oops..

That would have been a good idea :D I apologize for not having thought of that :) thank you for pointing it out :D wasn't familiar with the term fastpacking :D ^^
 Post Number: 24
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I filled out the questionaire. I answered that I am niether a backpacker nor a flashpacker because I don't do European style backpacking; I only backpack American style.

---George
 Post Number: 25
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just submitted my survey.  One suggestion, if I may:  include the definition of your subject matter (in this case, flashpacker vs. backpacker) at the top of your survey -- or at least a link to  -- but should have indicated 'flashpacker' instead.  Oops..

Ben,  

from my understanding of the term, you are the epitome of a "flashbacker" as well as a backpacker.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 26
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 18 2013, 1:25 pm)

I just submitted my survey.  One suggestion, if I may:  include the definition of your subject matter (in this case, flashpacker vs. backpacker) at the top of your survey -- or at least a link to  -- but should have indicated 'flashpacker' instead.  Oops..

Ben,  

from my understanding of the term, you are the epitome of a "flashbacker" as well as a backpacker.

Yeah, those of us who straddle the fence drive 'extremists' on both sides crazy!  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
25 replies since May 16 2013, 3:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Exams project
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions